Sprites The River (Alternate Underworld)

Another word for crispy is brittle, it describes a texture more so than a method of attaining that texture. It is usually associated with food or "burning" but it doesn't have to be and isn't always. The Aether "ages" the honey, making it crispy/brittle. I could make "Brittle Honey Block", but I don't want to change something if I don't have to.
they found a jar of ancient egyptian honey, wasn't crispy

Last time I checked, Honey doesn't evaporate in hell. Water does of course, but I think if you had a Beehive close enough to hell, you could probably flood a section of it with honey.

The water in the honey would evaporate. The rest of it would probably be charred to cinders.
I did some research as a follow-up to my post, and, depending on the amount and heat of the lava, you'd end up with caramelized stone. (There's more to it, obviously, but I thought that was amusing.)
[DOUBLEPOST=1429208725][/DOUBLEPOST]
Last time I checked, Honey doesn't evaporate in hell. Water does of course, but I think if yoy had a Beehive low enough to hell, you could probably flood a section of it with honey.
Or use the pump exploit. You'd end up with caramelized lava. Really, though, honey crystallizes, for the most part. I've never tried to burn honey, mind, but I think, IRL, you'd end up with a thin layer of ashen honey, and then a giant "pool" of crystalline honey.

One of the paintings included depicted a map of Tartarus (Torn Map of Tartarus)... maybe Tartarus could be a greek mythology replacement for the Dungeon? That would be awesome :D
KQqXRTC.png

That would be interesting, perhaps have any monster you've ever killed spawn there? (Tartarus is the underworld for monsters, but you probably already knew that)

I haven't commented on here yet? Oops.

It's an interesting version of the Underworld. I'd like to see it in! Though.. the name. It doesn't effect gameplay that much really, though the player might be confused when the Arms Dealer mentions going to "The River." Without reading the suggestion, I'd think I'd need to find a body of water and do something with it.

Formatting's kinda weird. Had to read through it, going over items, with no idea what they were/called until later on. You've got some incredible original artwork there, but sadly most of it is or appears to be recolors of existing content (not too big of a problem as sprites aren't required).

I think the armor should be melee or ranged. Magic's already got Meteor and Jungle armors, as well as the diamond robe set. Melee or ranged would only have one set if The River's armor is magic. As cool as magic might be, things need to be more spread out! :dryadwink:

You do have some interesting ideas. Inspired me enough to work on my Underworld alt again! Great job on the Ferryman sprite (it does seem to have some larger pixels though?)

I haven't commented on here yet? Oops.

It's an interesting version of the Underworld. I'd like to see it in! Though.. the name. It doesn't effect gameplay that much really, though the player might be confused when the Arms Dealer mentions going to "The River." Without reading the suggestion, I'd think I'd need to find a body of water and do something with it.
Honestly -- I had forgotten the Arms Dealer had a line referring to the Underworld, but if "The River" is too confusing, the NPC's line can be rewritten to better accommodate players. The name stays. It aptly describes and details the suggestion and thematically holds everything together.

Formatting's kinda weird. Had to read through it, going over items, with no idea what they were/called until later on.
How do you mean? Everything's name is literally right next to the sprite for it.

You've got some incredible original artwork there, but sadly most of it is or appears to be recolors of existing content (not too big of a problem as sprites aren't required).

Please don't judge me too harshly on the sprite work. As per usual, I had to splice and alter a lot of existing sprites to get my results -- however -- a few of them were made from scratch.
Spriting has come up a few times within the thread. At the time of this alt I was still splicing. With each new alt I make, this is less and less the case. Eventually -- some sprites will be revisited, but my only contention here is to get the idea/suggestion across.

I think the armor should be melee or ranged. Magic's already got Meteor and Jungle armors, as well as the diamond robe set. Melee or ranged would only have one set if The River's armor is magic. As cool as magic might be, things need to be more spread out! :dryadwink:
If I learned anything from this thread in particular via comments -- it's that everyone is going to want items for their "class" (in a game where classes technically don't exist anyways) or will want them balanced out to accommodate all four damage types. For The River's armor set -- I thought Melee had enough. They dominate the armor scene specifically. And that in this particular instance, I wanted to cater to mages specifically given the theme of the biome. But thematics aside, the only way anyone will be satisfied is if everything in the core game and all future suggestions provided a 1:1:1:1 ratio of equal treatment for all damage types -- and that's not something I'm aiming to do with 1 biome suggestion.

If I learned anything from this thread in particular via comments -- it's that everyone is going to want items for their "class" (in a game where classes technically don't exist anyways) or will want them balanced out to accommodate all four damage types. For The River's armor set -- I thought Melee had enough. They dominate the armor scene specifically. And that in this particular instance, I wanted to cater to mages specifically given the theme of the biome. But thematics aside, the only way anyone will be satisfied is if everything in the core game and all future suggestions provided a 1:1:1:1 ratio of equal treatment for all damage types -- and that's not something I'm aiming to do with 1 biome suggestion.

I'd have to say I agree with this, even though I always use Molten Armor.

Melee gets Molten Armor already, and because of Molten Armor, there's no reason to even think about Cobalt/Palladium, or even Orichalcum/Mythril Armors because Molten Armor is just as good as T1 Hardmode, and not that much below T2. If you really think about it, Molten Armor is kinda OP already. It makes the rest of Normal Mode a breeze, and you can use it until you get Adamantite/Titanium Armor. I've used it to fight Pirates, Lunar Eclipses, I've farmed Ichor with it, I've used it while navigating all kinds of underground biomes (except Jungle.. I'm not THAT crazy!) while looking for the other ores.

Now, if the River actually got put into the game, and if I got it on one of my worlds, well... I'd have a reason to either try being a mage, or actually try to get Cobalt Armor after defeating the Ferryman.

So yeah, I think making The River giving you Mage armor instead of Melee Armor is justified. Mage Armor could really use a boost -- yes, Mages get Jungle Armor. However, the Defense is just too pitiful to use in Hardmode, IMO. If you want to last more than 5 seconds in Hardmode, you either need epic dodging skills or simply wear Molten until you make Adamantite/Titainum Mage armor. The River would give us an armor to bridge that gap; Jungle just doesn't cut it in Hardmode. The Defense is way too low.

As for Ranged, well... I suppose it'd been nice if there'd been a suit of "End of Normal Mode" Ranged Armor... being that Necro Armor is kinda 'meh'.

Perhaps The River could have two helmets, one for mages and one for ranged?

How do you mean? Everything's name is literally right next to the sprite for it.
Enemy drops.

I actually tend to play a mage. It doesn't have to be melee, but it shouldn't be a mage armor IMO. It could be a ranged one, or perhaps, a minion armor. In pre-hardmode, we've got:

Melee
Shadow/Crimson
Molten

Ranged
Necro

Mage
Diamond Robe with Wizard Hat
Diamond Robe with Magic Hat (this counts as another set, as it has a different set bonus and hat stats)
Meteor
Jungle

Minion
Bee

When you replace Melee with a Mage armor, that's 1 Melee, 1 Ranged, 1 Minion, and 5 Mage armors. I suggest you either make it a ranged set, or perhaps a more fitting Minion set, as if you were a necromancer summoning monsters to fight for you. Mage already has more sets if you don't make the armor mage, so I don't think there should be yet another mage armor.

I'd have to say I agree with this, even though I always use Molten Armor.

Melee gets Molten Armor already, and because of Molten Armor, there's no reason to even think about Cobalt/Palladium, or even Orichalcum/Mythril Armors because Molten Armor is just as good as T1 Hardmode, and not that much below T2. If you really think about it, Molten Armor is kinda OP already. It makes the rest of Normal Mode a breeze, and you can use it until you get Adamantite/Titanium Armor. I've used it to fight Pirates, Lunar Eclipses, I've farmed Ichor with it, I've used it while navigating all kinds of underground biomes (except Jungle.. I'm not THAT crazy!) while looking for the other ores.

Now, if the River actually got put into the game, and if I got it on one of my worlds, well... I'd have a reason to either try being a mage, or actually try to get Cobalt Armor after defeating the Ferryman.

So yeah, I think making The River giving you Mage armor instead of Melee Armor is justified. Mage Armor could really use a boost -- yes, Mages get Jungle Armor. However, the Defense is just too pitiful to use in Hardmode, IMO. If you want to last more than 5 seconds in Hardmode, you either need epic dodging skills or simply wear Molten until you make Adamantite/Titainum Mage armor. The River would give us an armor to bridge that gap; Jungle just doesn't cut it in Hardmode. The Defense is way too low.

As for Ranged, well... I suppose it'd been nice if there'd been a suit of "End of Normal Mode" Ranged Armor... being that Necro Armor is kinda 'meh'.

Perhaps The River could have two helmets, one for mages and one for ranged?

Personally, I think Molten deserves a buff. It grants a few more points of defense and 17% melee damage, whereas with a good mage set-up you can have nearly 40% extra magic damage, along with 80 extra mana, and more crit. Diamond Robe with Wizard Hat and Meteor Leggings, you should try it out. Magic Power Potion alone gives 15% extra magic damage, nearly the same damage bonus that molten gets. Mages also can attack from a distance, able to kill enemies before they even get near. You can easily survive a Solar Eclipse by standing still, just clicking left and right occasionally with a Demon Scythe. No pre-hardmode melee set can even come close to compare.

Anyway, as said above, this would be 5 mage armors and 1 of the others if this is made a magic armor. It should be a ranged or minion one.

Back
Top Bottom