Game Mechanics Fixing Potions

neoselket

Ice Queen
New crafting recipes for potions. No one wants to have to spend 5 minutes desperately hoping they'll get the right kind of fish for the potion they want. Right now, the only really reliable way to get decent fishing power is to do angler quests. and since that takes forever, you basically have to spend tons of time doing boring fishing quests just to get the good potions. They added tons of new fish that have exactly one use, potions, when there are plenty of items no one uses due to their uselessness. Here are some better crafting recipes for fishing potions:

Ammo Reservation potion
bottled water
moonglow
3 feathers

Calming potion
bottled water
daybloom
crystal shard

Endurance potion
bottled lava
blinkroot
10 obsidian

Heartreach potion
bottled water
daybloom
fireblossom
bloodweed(crimson variant of deathweed)

Inferno potion
bottled lava(created by crafting an empty bottle while standing in lava, required for high-power potions)
molten bar
fireblossom

Lifeforce potion
lifeforce potions act as a final health upgrade, providing a final 100 health to players. however, you can get them just about the moment you enter hardmode, before even life fruits. this needs fixed.
bottled lava
moonglow
shiverthorn
waterleaf
fireblossom
daybloom
blinkroot
life fruit

Rage potion
bottled water
bloodweed
cactus
tooltip: "you'd be angry too if you just drank a cactus"

Recall potion
bottled water
blinkroot
waterleaf
daybloom

Summoning potion
bottled water
moonglow
2 bee wax

Teleportation potion
bottled water
blinkroot
fireblossom
10 crystal shards

Warmth potion
first off, why would you use an ice fish to make a potion that warms you up? that makes no sense, even for terraria.
bottled lava
shiverthorn
meteorite bar(warm to the touch, few uses, fits perfectly)

Wrath potion
bottled water
deathweed
cactus
tooltip: "you'd be angry too if you just drank a cactus"

Finally, there would be a 10 buff limit. To fix the Titanium armor invincibility bug, the buff limit would be unchanged, but when you have 10 buffs you would not be allowed to consume buff potions.

Last edited:
So, what are we going to do with the fish then. If you do something to change the potions, make it so the fish have a new use. Then I would possibly support.

So, what are we going to do with the fish then. If you do something to change the potions, make it so the fish have a new use. Then I would possibly support.

that's the thing, they added a ton of new fish with only one use each. the fish would either be removed, or used for aesthetic purposes. how about mounting them on the wall on a weapon rack?

So, you'd rather stare at your farm for five minutes instead of fishing for five minutes?

Don't see the difference, if it's just a five minutes wait, really.

So, you'd rather stare at your farm for five minutes instead of fishing for five minutes?

Don't see the difference, if it's just a five minutes wait, really.

you can do other stuff while you farm, and you have to stay there to fish. farming is more reliable than fishing, and also there's tons of items that have few uses, it would be better to make them be used to craft the potions than to make one new item per potion that has the sole use be one potion. wasted space, really.

Problem is, the items are there, and the potions crafted with them are far from being completely needed for anything (just as the rest of the potions, to be honest - I only use buffs for the Moons.)

lifeforce potions act as a final health upgrade, providing a final 100 health to players.
It gives extra 20% HP. That's 20 for every 100, not an exact 100. Why would you need to gate it?

Warmth potion
first off, why would you use an ice fish to make a potion that warms you up? that makes no sense, even for terraria.
bottled lava
shiverthorn
meteorite bar(warm to the touch, few uses, fits perfectly)
So wait, you're not fine with eating a fish living in cold water to provide warmth, but you're perfectly fine with an herb that can survive the frigid weather providing warmth? And if you want sense, I can provide you one. Fishes able to survive frozen water would have plenty of fat. Then via alchemy, we can take this property, and impart it in Terrarians, providing temporary insulation.

By the way, I don't see how purposely eating a cactus would induce more rage than a bar made of burning meteorite. And some cacti are edible, more so than an unknown mineral from outer space.

You always complain about the lack of sense in Terraria, but maybe you're not trying hard enough to see them?

And if you want to complain sense, why does putting some urine on a book lets us shoot damaging scalding piss? How come a fish can leap out of water and live out of it? You're choosing some very convenient argument to fit your suggestions.

And no, I have no reason to support this really. The fishing could use a bit more work and refining, but that's not a justifiable reason to remove the fishes from the recipe completely.

A better fix for the whole "fishing is too annoying for beneficial potions" would be to address fishing directly, not the recipes. It takes care of the source, and can potentially increase the purpose and enjoyment of fishing in Terraria.

Last edited:
minecraft had the same problem- it made fishing way too big. fishing should be a fun little side feature, not a huge system that is required to get good potions.

You don't need a lot of fishing power to catch the potion fish, they are pretty common.

Your recipes require meteor bars, life fruit, amethysts, molten bars, crystal shards - ingredients that would probably take you as long to acquire as throwing a line in the water.

Fish are an infinite resource, what happens when meteors no longer spawn?

Not keen on buff limits either - players should be rewarded for hard work.

Fish are an infinite resource, what happens when meteors no longer spawn?.
Meteors only stop spawning when you stop mining them.

None the less, I'm not convinced these new recipes are any more convenient. I think some people just hate fishing, which is fine, but others like it. So basically I don't support this change. But I wouldn't object at all to some new potions that can be made without fish. Or even alternate recipes for the existing potions.

The only potions I have issues with are the Heartreach, Rage and Wraith potions. They need Corruption / Crimson-specific fish, requiring you to travel to a different world or build up a new biome. I know there are a few items like this, but an alternate would be nice.

There are arguably a lot of 'useless' or one-use only items. But many of these alternates aren't really better. Amethyst and hellstone is non-renewable. Bee wax? I think the effort spent gathering the materials needed to craft an Abeemination, trekking to the Jungle and fighting the Queen Bee would take a lot longer than getting a V-Lardfish. (Which is fished from the Jungle, so if I'm going there anyway, I may as well cast a line instead of looting a hive and killing hornets...)

I'm OK with alternate recipes that don't use fish, but I don't some of the suggested recipes would do well.

thanks for your constructive criticism. so if these recipes were added as an alternative to fishing while keeping the original recipes, would you accept that? because i don't think fishing should be required to get all these new potions, but optional. and i'll try tweaking the recipes a little. any suggestions?

Yeah... there go uses for all the fish they added. No support, it's fine as it is.

see, i actually view that as a mistake on re-logic's part. why add one new item for exactly one crafting recipe for about 13 new recipes? especially when there are other items that have few uses and would be perfect for the new recipes, such as meteorite. and i hate fishing, and i'm sure others feel the same way. also, i've decided to make these new recipes be alternates for people who don't like fishing, while still keeping the original recipes. i just haven't edited that into the post yet.

see, i actually view that as a mistake on re-logic's part. why add one new item for exactly one crafting recipe for about 13 new recipes? especially when there are other items that have few uses and would be perfect for the new recipes, such as meteorite. and i hate fishing, and i'm sure others feel the same way. also, i've decided to make these new recipes be alternates for people who don't like fishing, while still keeping the original recipes. i just haven't edited that into the post yet.
I like fishing because of the crates, and I don't think its a problem at all. Fishing was added to keep people occupied for 1.3.

I think they may have approached it the other way around. "Let's add some unique fish to different biomes. Now... how can we make them interesting..." From that perspective it makes sense. Though I totally understand the annoyance from people who don't like fishing.

see, i actually view that as a mistake on re-logic's part. why add one new item for exactly one crafting recipe for about 13 new recipes? especially when there are other items that have few uses and would be perfect for the new recipes, such as meteorite.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of that in Terraria and whether it's a good thing or a bad thing could probably be debated for a long time. My pet peeve is that there are about a dozen crafting stations that craft only one set. There are at least a further three crafting stations whose sole purpose is to create just ONE item. Hardmode items seem to suffer this more than earlier items. (Tossing up whether to make a new thread about this...)

But I digress...

thanks for your constructive criticism. so if these recipes were added as an alternative to fishing while keeping the original recipes, would you accept that? because i don't think fishing should be required to get all these new potions, but optional. and i'll try tweaking the recipes a little. any suggestions?
I'm happy with alternatives. (Though admittedly, I may or may not use them.) Brain no worky today, so I cannot really think of any alternatives off the top of my head. My advice for any alternative recipes would be: 1. Ingredients should be renewable; 2. They should require a similar amount of effort to attain, and; 3. If the original recipe requires a Corruption fish, then the alternate should require a Crimson item, and vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom