Game Mechanics Aesthetic and Functional changes

neoselket

Ice Queen
This is a small list of suggestion that involve changing small details of the game to make it a little more aesthetically pleasing. Also, it involves some small changes to functions of the game.

First off, the robe texture looks weird. I would change it from this:

to this:

alternate version:

Does that not look better?

Dayblooms have a different texture during night. But they have the daytime texture during solar eclipses. Why? However, using the nighttime texture wouldn't really fit, so i made my own texture for dayblooms during eclipses:

Speaking of night, the moon stone and moon charm do roughly the same thing, so why not be able to combine them? Combining them could make a "Night Charm", which would give a large stat bonus during night.
JtXYMk0.png

Another accessory tinkering option: The philosophers stone and cross necklace are both defensive accessories dropped from mimics. so why not be able to combine them? Possible name for the result: Philosiphers Necklace.

The excalibur is kind of like a hardmode version of the night's edge, as in, it was once the best sword in the game. However, making it require only hallowed bars and one of each soul to create is kind of pathetic for a component of the Terra Blade, even though there are now swords that are far better than it. I would change it's crafting recipe back to what it was in 1.1, requiring a cobalt, mythril, and adamantite sword(or variants) to craft. Also, i would buff it slightly, to make this crafting worthwhile. It would have 5 less usetime, 5 more damage, and 50% knockback piercing, which means it would ignore half of an enemies knockback resistance.

Next, a couple of options to help increase performance. The first one(unas jk lol) would be called "Gibs on/off", and, when off, would make all enemies display the wraith death animation, i.e a puff of smoke rather than exploding into bodyparts. This could help reduce lag somewhat for weaker computers, as well as making it easier to see after killing several enemies at once.

The second option would be "ambient parallax". It would, when disabled, make the background displayed on the surface of the world(the one with trees, mountains, etc.) be frozen in place and not move when the player moves. That could reduce lag as well.

We have corrupt/crimson penguins, goldfish, and bunnies, but none for other mobs or biomes. My idea? To add not only corrupt/crimson squirrels and birds, but hallow versions as well. The hallow versions would be different from the corrupt/crimson versions in that they would not attack unless attacked themselves. Also, corrupt/crimson/hallowed critters would be able to be caught with a bug net and placed into cages.

Water candles are pretty useful. That's why i think we should be able to put them in accessory slots. Doing this would have the same effect as holding them, but allow you to fight at the same time, increasing their usefulness.

Next, wings. When you use them, you don't know how much flight time you have left. I suggest making a flight meter, similar to the lava charm, to show how much flight time you have left.

Coins should now go into slots based on their value, with lower value coins going into lower slots.

Also, i would put one more pixel on the tip of Phaseblades/Phasesabers.

The terraria cursor has given many people(myself included) irritation when it disappears during a big battle. My solution: Inverted cursor colors. With my first idea, the entire cursor would be the same color as the background, but inverted. That would help increase it's visibility. My second idea is to make it so the outline of the cursor would be the same color as the rest of the cursor, but inverted.

When you clentaminate the hallow, it should make crystal shards drop as items.

when your character wears an eyepatch, no matter which way you face it shows up. This gives the impression you are wearing sunglasses, or have 2 eye patches on at the same time. My idea is to make it only show up when facing a certain direction, decided by the direction you're facing when you put it on. This would apply to pirate deadeyes, too, and the eyepatch would be on the side facing the "camera" when they spawn.

Next, when the corruption/crimson spreads over the jungle, it would cover mud with ebon/crimgrass instead of turning it to dirt, making it easier to restore the jungle.

It's annoying when you want to fight plantera but can't find a bulb, or the bulb spawns so close to the surface that plantera enrages immediately. My solution: Witch doctor voodoo doll(tooltip: boy, this is ironic). when you equip it, you can kill the witch doctor, and when you do so in the jungle, you summon plantera. has a 1% chance to drop from hardmode jungle enemies after defeating plantera.

There are many blocks and backgrounds you cannot obtain, but you can destroy, such as gem walls(gem caves), snow walls, etc. I simply suggest making those craftable.

Spider banners drop from wall creepers in spider nests, right? No problem there. But wait! they stop spawning when you get into hardmode, replaced by black recluses. that means that spider banners are impossible to get once you enter hardmode, making it neccesary to create a new world if you're attempting to get all banners. i suggest making them spawn even in hardmode, but with decreased numbers.

Speaking of spiders, i suggest giving them the ability to climb walls. not background walls, actual walls, like the kind you put doors on.

This will be added to as i think of more things, so if you like it stay tuned!

here's a banner:
Aesthetic changes banner.png

Code:
[URL='http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/aesthetic-and-functional-changes.18771/#post-524509'][IMG]http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/aesthetic-changes-banner-png.53722/[/IMG][/URL]

Attachments

• daybloom(eclipse).png
    daybloom(eclipse).png
    268 bytes · Views: 580
  • edited robes.png
    edited robes.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 602
  • Robes_male.png
    Robes_male.png
    656 bytes · Views: 600
  • u8Vg9J7.png
    u8Vg9J7.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 560
  • Robes_2.png
    Robes_2.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 520
  • better robes.png
    better robes.png
    647 bytes · Views: 210
Last edited:
These almost all seem like good ideas. Although for the mouse pointer, I think it would help more if it were simply larger.

These almost all seem like good ideas. Although for the mouse pointer, I think it would help more if it were simply larger.

thanks! i actually got my idea for the cursor from my own cursor. i use RealWorld cursor editor to get a custom cursor for my computer, and it's a black box with a white outline. i noticed it was easy to see in pretty much any situation.

I agree with everything except the few things below.
The excalibur is kind of like a hardmode version of the night's edge, as in, it was once the best sword in the game. However, making it require only hallowed bars and one of each soul to create is kind of pathetic for a component of the Terra Blade, even though there are now swords that are far better than it. I would change it's crafting recipe back to what it was in 1.1, requiring a cobalt, mythril, and adamantite sword(or variants) to craft. Also, i would buff it slightly, to make this crafting worthwhile. It would have 5 less usetime, 5 more damage, and 50% knockback piercing, which means it would ignore half of an enemies knockback resistance.
You might as well make hallowed armor using all the prior armors too. :L
Speaking of night, the moon stone and moon charm do roughly the same thing, so why not be able to combine them? Combining them could make a "Night Charm", which would give a large stat bonus during night.
Sorry, but... sunstone. And the moon charm combines with the menfolk shell already.
The terraria cursor has given many people(myself included) irritation when it disappears during a big battle. My solution: Inverted cursor colors. With my first idea, the entire cursor would be the same color as the background, but inverted. That would help increase it's visibility. My second idea is to make it so the outline of the cursor would be the same color as the rest of the cursor, but inverted.
I like this, but I also like to keep the color of my cursor.

Also, the witch doctor voodoo doll should only drop after you defeat plantera.

I agree with everything except the few things below.

You might as well make hallowed armor using all the prior armors too. :L

Sorry, but... sunstone. And the moon charm combines with the menfolk shell already.

I like this, but I also like to keep the color of my cursor.

Also, the witch doctor voodoo doll should only drop after you defeat plantera.

the reason i changed the excalibur crafting recipe was because i felt that a component of the terra blade should have a less boring crafting recipe. besides, the 3 swords aren't that hard to get, and it would provide a reason to actually make them.

as for the moon charm/night stone, i combined them because on their own, they don't do much, but they might actually be useful if combined.

the cursor thing would be optional, i should edit that in.

i'll edit the thing about the voodoo doll, thanks for noticing that.

There's no need for Ebonmud or crimmud, we just need a corruption and crimson grass that can grow on normal mud like it does with normal dirt. I also feel like the ambient parallax would look strange, especially in areas of the sky with no blocks as the player would get the impression that they aren't moving at all. Other than that though, this looks pretty good.

Cool ideas. All of them look really cool!
The first one(unas jk lol) would be called "Gibs on/off", and, when off, would make all enemies display the wraith death animation, i.e a puff of smoke rather than exploding into bodyparts. This could help reduce lag somewhat for weaker computers, as well as making it easier to see after killing several enemies at once.
I have to say beat you to it but, hey, at least more than one person would love this:happy:

Cool ideas. All of them look really cool!

I have to say beat you to it but, hey, at least more than one person would love this:happy:

thanks! and yeah, that's where i got the idea.

There's no need for Ebonmud or crimmud, we just need a corruption and crimson grass that can grow on normal mud like it does with normal dirt. I also feel like the ambient parallax would look strange, especially in areas of the sky with no blocks as the player would get the impression that they aren't moving at all. Other than that though, this looks pretty good.

that's kind of what i meant, i should specify that, and the ambient parallax would be toggleable, but that does cause a lot of lag and this would provide an option for people with slow computers that don't want to disable backgrounds. but thanks!

I like all of these! I especially agree with the Eyepatch thing, the same problem applies to all the Bracelet sort of accessories, Band of Regeneration, Charm of Myths, etc.

This seem to be a great suggestion that should be add really.
However the wizard robe, they're lame (the original one) yours maybe better but I prefer the robe to be like this... (it's my opinion so)
Untitled.png

2014-05-21-Comic-400.png

Next, a couple of options to help increase performance. The first one(unas jk lol) would be called "Gibs on/off", and, when off, would make all enemies display the wraith death animation, i.e a puff of smoke rather than exploding into bodyparts. This could help reduce lag somewhat for weaker computers, as well as making it easier to see after killing several enemies at once.

The second option would be "ambient parallax". It would, when disabled, make the background displayed on the surface of the world(the one with trees, mountains, etc.) be frozen in place and not move when the player moves. That could reduce lag as well.

Also, it would be AMAZING if they add an option to reduce amount of raindrops. For me, rain not just lags the game, but literally slows it down.

The witch doctor voodoo doll seems like a (no offense) terrible idea.
Because if you don't remember, plantera becomes enraged on the surface, and taking the witch doctor all the way down to the underground jungle would be frustrating if you had a overworld jungle house.
I think just making the strange bulb be an item you can get by either destroying a strange bulb or crafting it. Sort of like a summon item.
Something like "10 Vines, 15 Souls of night 15 Souls of light and like, 20 Jungle Spores" or something.

The witch doctor voodoo doll seems like a (no offense) terrible idea.
Because if you don't remember, plantera becomes enraged on the surface, and taking the witch doctor all the way down to the underground jungle would be frustrating if you had a overworld jungle house.
I think just making the strange bulb be an item you can get by either destroying a strange bulb or crafting it. Sort of like a summon item.
Something like "10 Vines, 15 Souls of night 15 Souls of light and like, 20 Jungle Spores" or something.
Not craftable with that recipe. If you haven't noticed already, plantera is post-mech. This recipe is pre-mech. I would add mech boss souls to the recipe.

Oh, i forgot about that.
Thanks for mentioning.
But with more thought, i think something like: "20 Jungle Spores, 10 Souls of Might, 10 Souls of Fright, 10 Souls of Sight, and 5 Chlorophyte Bars."
Would make like, a Strange Looking Bulb, using it summons plantera. but you can only use it in the underground jungle.

Maybe Plantera could be summoned manually with an item obtained from the lihzahrd temple, or something made from ectoplasm? It seems kind of weird to have another voodoo doll for plantera, especially since the witch doctor has little to do with the plant other then both being from the jungle.

Maybe Plantera could be summoned manually with an item obtained from the lihzahrd temple, or something made from ectoplasm? It seems kind of weird to have another voodoo doll for plantera, especially since the witch doctor has little to do with the plant other then both being from the jungle.

Almost exactly what i was suggesting.

I know, but I think the item should be obtained after Plantera has been slain.

It just seems annoying to have to find a bulb, even if it's your first time.
In my opinion, i think just removing the bulb entirely and adding a craftable summon item would be better.
Sure, having to find a bulb first to fight plantera then getting a summon item (sort of like skeletron) would be fine too, i just prefer not having to spend 30 minutes searching for a bulb. -_-

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom