Weapons & Equip Balancing Shadow Orbs and Crimson Hearts

What do you think should happen to the Band of Starpower? What about the rest of the suggestion?

• The Band of Starpower should be found in the Dungeon.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • It should be found in Gold Chests like the Band of Regeneration is.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • It should be sold by the Traveling Merchant.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • It should be kept as a drop from Shadow Orbs.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Baconfry's a genius! He solved the Panic Necklace problem!

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Mana Bracing sounds like a good idea. Let's do it!

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • A Meat Hook? Yes, please!

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • No thanks. This doesn't appropriately fix the problem.

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
Shadow_Orb.png
Crimson_Heart.png
Right now, they aren't very balanced. In the Corruption, there are five different drops from Shadow Orbs, and in the Crimson, there are four. That's a balance problem already, but before we get to that, there's a more pressing issue with this distinct imbalance. Just hear me out.

The biggest problem is the fact that the Corruption has the Band of Starpower, leaving Mages on Crimson worlds without a powerful set of accessory upgrades, and also leaving the Panic Necklace, Crimson's accessory equivalent, in the dust. The solution to the latter can be found in a thread by Baconfry, which deals with set of "Cuff" upgrades for the Panic Necklace. (Click this link to be directed to the thread.) As for the former, I think that the band of Starpower should no longer be a Corruption item, and instead be found in the Dungeon, either as a find from Chests or a drop from Dark Casters. (It's blue, so it will fit in!) If that doesn't sit well with you guys, then it can just be found in Gold Chests like the Band of Regeneration, or maybe sold by the Traveling Merchant.

Now, I could just stop there and let them both be balanced 4 to 4, but that doesn't sit well with me. I think that each of them should have a Ranged gun (check), a Magic weapon (check), a Melee weapon (check), an accessory with a series of tinkering upgrades (but I just booted the Band of Starpower), and a utility item that doesn't need to be equipped (Crimson doesn't have a true Shadow Orb counterpart).

To address the first issue, I propose that a new Accessory should take the Band of Starpower's place as a Shadow Orb drop. This new accessory will be called Mana Bracing, and it would restore Mana based on damage taken. The effect sounds familiar, doesn't it? That's because I think that it should take the Shackle's place in the recipe for the Magic Cuffs, so it would still require a Shadow Orb drop and an outside accessory to craft, but this way, the tinker makes sense and players on Crimson worlds have access to the Band of Starpower and the band of Mana Regeneration.

To address the second problem, the Crimson needs a utility item. What I have in mind is a new grappling hook called the Meat Hook, which would be slightly better than the Diamond Hook in terms of performance. This would be a suitable counterpart for the Shadow Orb, offering slightly enhanced mobility over other Grappling Hooks for worlds with Crimson, while the Shadow Orb offers slightly improved lighting convenience. Simple, right?

Hopefully, these changes would put Shadow Orbs and Crimson Hearts at a balance without heavily affecting the game.

Feedback is appreciated. If you think this would be fair, let me know, and if you don't, be sure to tell me why!

Last edited:
Started a Crimson world with my friends because our other 1.2 run had Corruption, and we ran into the Band of Starpower insufficiency which struck me as incredibly unfair for whoever's going mage (and for once, it wasn't me, I switched roles with the ranged player who wanted to try magic). I'm definitely for Band of Starpower, at the very least, being dissociated with the Corruption and being a general piece of gear considering how valuable it is.

I'm not sure whether a hook necessarily balances the Shadow Orb, since we couldn't go for moments without our melee player complaining about not having a trailing light source on our Crimson map. Maybe the Meat Hook emits a small amount of light on the end, sort of akin to the small green bit of flesh on the end of the Flesh Lantern furniture? That way it provides light, but not in the same way as the Shadow Orb (which tags along providing a constant light source, wheras a hook-based light would only be out when you use the hook, but at least it's something). It'd also act as a teaser for the Dual Hook's light later on.

I would actually like the Shackle to remain in both the recipes for Magic Cuffs and Blood Pressure Cuffs, since they make sense in both.

Also, doesn't hurt to make the Hearts/Orbs renewable, right? Since this is on the subject of Crimson Heart and Shadow Orb balance, I feel this thread needs to be referenced somewhere:
Regenerating Orbs and Hearts

Last edited:
But the only reason I ever want the band of starpower is to make magic cuffs... to me the one extra star is negligible when I have over a full set of ten, and I wouldn't waste and accessory slot just for one more star. I also can't tell if the mana regeneration band actually boosts mana regeneration

But the only reason I ever want the band of starpower is to make magic cuffs... to me the one extra star is negligible when I have over a full set of ten, and I wouldn't waste and accessory slot just for one more star. I also can't tell if the mana regeneration band actually boosts mana regeneration
The extra star is the advantage the Magic Cuffs have over the Mana Bracing. Both take up one accessory slot.

To address the first issue, I propose that a new Accessory should take the Band of Starpower's place as a Shadow Orb drop. This new accessory will be called Mana Bracing, and it would restore Mana based on damage taken? Sound familiar? That's because I think that it should take the Shackle's place in the recipe for the Magic Cuffs, so it would still require a Shadow Orb drop and an outside accessory to craft, but this way, the tinker makes sense and players on Crimson worlds have access to the Band of Starpower and the band of Mana Regeneration.
You know my opinion on most of this from the other thread, but in this particular case the Band of Starpower and the Mana Brace seem reversed in game progression. I don't know how everyone else plays Terraria but my friends and I generally do the Corruption first and I don't have terribly much mana or health by the time I get there. Early game I'd rather have more mana and not get hit than have an accessory that risks the little life I have at the time to completely fill up a small amount of mana. Mana Brace is still a cool idea though, I just don't think it should go in that location with that effect at that point in the game.

You know my opinion on most of this from the other thread, but in this particular case the Band of Starpower and the Mana Brace seem reversed in game progression. I don't know how everyone else plays Terraria but my friends and I generally do the Corruption first and I don't have terribly much mana or health by the time I get there. Early game I'd rather have more mana and not get hit than have an accessory that risks the little life I have at the time to completely fill up a small amount of mana. Mana Brace is still a cool idea though, I just don't think it should go in that location with that effect at that point in the game.
Well, think about it. How are the Magic Cuffs any different? The Shackle is an accessory you can get on your first night.
But it still requires a corruption world and if you have a crimson world you still can't get them
The important thing is that mages aren't completely Mana deficit on Crimson worlds. +20 Mana and increased Mana regeneration go a long way. Also, the Band of Mana Regeneration doesn't necessarily regenerate your Mana in the way you would expect. It increases the rate and acceleration of your natural Mana regeneration. It's very useful.
I reckon on a full moon after defeating eater of worlds/brain of cthulhu, the dryad will sell you the band of star power.
Hmm... a unique idea, and it could very well work... I'll see what I can do.

Well, think about it. How are the Magic Cuffs any different? The Shackle is an accessory you can get on your first night.
It's different because the Mana Brace has the main capability of the Magic Cuffs before you even fight a Goblin Invasion. For current Magic Cuffs, you need to have stumbled upon a Band of Regeneration, acquired a Band of Starpower from the Corruption, fight the Goblin Invasion, and find the Tinkerer. The Mana Brace requires only acquiring it from the Corruption, resulting in a lot less time having elapsed and a lot less opportunity to acquire stars and hearts to make it useful immediately.

In my opinion, the Mana Brace fits in its proposed tier quite well. It's the Band of Starpower that's in the wrong place. It needs to be moved toward an earlier part of the game, not a later one.

In my opinion, the Mana Brace fits in its proposed tier quite well. It's the Band of Starpower that's in the wrong place. It needs to be moved toward an earlier part of the game, not a later one.
I have to agree here. A +20 mana bonus isn't too big, so moving it to an earlier part sounds about right.
How about picking up this idea:
I reckon on a full moon after defeating eater of worlds/brain of cthulhu, the dryad will sell you the band of star power.
And replacing EoW/BoC with the EoC?

I have to agree here. A +20 mana bonus isn't too big, so moving it to an earlier part sounds about right.
How about picking up this idea:

And replacing EoW/BoC with the EoC?
What? No! I meant that if you defeat the EoW or BoC, in a full moon, the dryad will sell you the band of star power. No changes elsewhere
Why not Band of Starpower be found in sky chest?
true, but I don't see why or why not[DOUBLEPOST=1413025869][/DOUBLEPOST]
Whats this thing about Mana Braces?! Nothing's going on my teeth!

What? No! I meant that if you defeat the EoW or BoC, in a full moon, the dryad will sell you the band of star power. No changes elsewhere
On its own, the band of Starpower is pretty weak. +20 Mana is nice when you have next to no Mana at the very beginning, but after a few nights of gathering stars (especially now that Mana Crystals need only 5 stars), you'll have enough max mana for an acceptable regeneration, so the Band of Starpower isn't as useful. That's why I support @Baconfry's idea to pull it to an earlier part of the game, and suggested the Dryad sell it on a full moon, not after EoW/BoC, but after EoC.

I suggest that we take the crimson, and rework it. The crimson was made to be equal to the corruption, but with all these threads it's quite obvious that it's not. I support this, but I still think the entire crimson needs a total redo

I suggest that we take the crimson, and rework it. The crimson was made to be equal to the corruption, but with all these threads it's quite obvious that it's not. I support this, but I still think the entire crimson needs a total redo
No need to lock the door! I'm working on a Biome Exstension thread on the Crimson! Might take a while, but it'll be there, like Bonnie is behind you[DOUBLEPOST=1413027895][/DOUBLEPOST]
On its own, the band of Starpower is pretty weak. +20 Mana is nice when you have next to no Mana at the very beginning, but after a few nights of gathering stars (especially now that Mana Crystals need only 5 stars), you'll have enough max mana for an acceptable regeneration, so the Band of Starpower isn't as useful. That's why I support @Baconfry's idea to pull it to an earlier part of the game, and suggested the Dryad sell it on a full moon, not after EoW/BoC, but after EoC.
Well, if you're like me, I'd go settle with Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu straight after Eye of Cthulhu. So there's pretty much no time for waiting

Back
Top Bottom