Official 1.3 Launch Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

So I finally beat moon lord on expert mode. I did it solo, and I am by no means a good player. I did however use materials I got from playing non-expert mode first. I used about 20 heart statues on 1s timers, and was loaded up on potions and chlorophyte bullets.

I must say that I was severely disappointed with the expert loot drop from moon lord. Why would I waste an equipment slot for an accessory whose function I can get from a potion? Please reconsider this.

Other than that, great update! What a great game!

Something I noticed is that the number of random events is quite annoying, Solar Eclipse / Blood Moon / Alien Invasion, having a normal night- day-cyclus seems more rare than having one of those events trigger.

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

I must say that I was severely disappointed with the expert loot drop from moon lord. Why would I waste an equipment slot for an accessory whose function I can get from a potion? Please reconsider this.

Other than that, great update! What a great game!
^this

Wall of Text has awoken!

Wouldn't consider myself an amazingly good Terraria player or anything but have been playing off-and-on for just under 4 years with now over 520 hours experience. Having played up to the Expert endgame now in multiplayer averaging 3 to 6 people, Expert mode feels pretty much spot-on in a multiplayer setting right up until the last 1/3 or so of Hardmode. The one and only thing I think is a little nonsensical about pre-Hardmode is the massive discrepancy between pre-Hardmode Crimson and Corruption worlds, since the Worm Scarf is quite literally infinitely better than the Brain of Confusion; you know there's a problem when one becomes obsolete almost instantly and the other is borderline essential even into the endgame.

Also, Beenades being craftable opens up some serious cheese potential if you can kite around and kill a Queen Bee early, which given her fairly predictable AI isn't too hard; we killed the Queen Bee before the Eater of Worlds on our server and were able to use the dropped Beenades to farm the Bee (summoned with Abeeminations of course), use the wax to craft even MORE Beenades and then cheesed the EoW with Beenade spam laughably easily. It died from full health in what felt like seconds to three players spamming them after we managed to craft a few hundred.

The two things above aside, and with the Beenades being only a minor concern at worst, pre-Hardmode Expert feels fantastic even in multiplayer. Damn near spot-on.

The addition of throwing armours was cool and all but it still feels underwhelming and the fact that it stops at Fossil armour makes it feel a little superfluous. The Bone Glove requires too much grindy dungeon farming to really feel inviting to use and the fact that only two throwing armours available require either King Slime grinding or an Extractinator meant that even though I wanted to try it out I eventually decided to just skip it entirely. I feel like at a bare minimum the vanity set dropped by the Hoplite could also be made a throwing set to match the Javelins he drops.

Also, brief side-note; making Treasure Bags drop in this client-side, one-per-player manner was a stroke of genius and an absolutely wonderful addition to multiplayer. Less grinding, more likelihood everyone gets what they need if people share, no loot-hogging. Perfectly done to the point where I'd honestly like to see the same thing done in Normal mode, minus the Expert-exclusive accessories.

The Demon Heart is absolutely god-tier. A really truly rewarding reward and makes Expert mode a little more... y'know, possible. Also allows for a lot more potential for cool builds, especially now that we finally have an update where builds like Melee DPS don't feel :red:e.

Enter Hardmode. The start once again feels spot-on, but once you get to the meat and potatoes things get a little sketchy in places. The difficulty at this point feels like it fluctuates up and down constantly with odd spikes at seemingly random points; the Golem is piss-easy and Plantera is a kinda half-challenge but nothing special while all three of the Mechanical bosses are very difficult, with the Destroyer's damage being a little over the top almost to the point of sheer frustration. Also, the Mechanical Minecart feels like a pretty underwhelming reward for beating all three mechs; while the cross-map mobility it gives you if you take the time to build cross-map rails is pretty sick, it kinda feels like it could easily have been a full drop from one of the three with the other two giving their own drops. This is doubly true when the Golem's Shiny Stone and Platera's Spore Sac are both super cool, useful rewards that really feel worth the effort of the fight.

Fishron is almost perfect and the Expert drop is sick. No complaints apart from the fact that the invisibility towards the end of the fight feels a little cheesy; making such a fast boss even MORE of a pain in the :red: to keep track of makes the fight feel a little bit random.

The Frost and Pumpkin moons aren't too bad if properly prepared, apart from the later waves where the ridiculous bullet hell just becomes sheer tedium which is no fun to even attempt, much less try to actually progress in. Barely brushing against the Greek Fire from the Mourning Wood that is literally covering 2/3rds of the screen takes significant chunks out of my HP as a full Warding tank? Aaaaalrighty then.

Martian event isn't too bad, much too bullet hell-y and the damage dealt by the Saucer laser is a little overkill when combined with their movespeed in the enraged form. Certainly not impossible to just kite and kill by any stretch but having to kite around such a fast miniboss in a wave event with so much crap on the screen already and it flitting between people it wants to target feels irritating.

Cultist fight is SUPER fun, the most fun boss fight in the entire game in my opinion! My big gripe with it, however, is the completely nonexistent reward. Getting only the Manipulator doesn't really have the same "wow" factor of getting some cool boss-specific gear out of it. Make him drop some actual gear so that such a fun and challenging fight is rewarded with something less underwhelming and this one feels perfect, lads. Fantastically done. If this is done, maybe also implement some way to fight the Lunatic Cultist that doesn't trigger the Lunar event such that players can farm the drops they want without it being a pain in the :red:. A boss summoner crafted with Dungeon drops, perhaps?

The Nebula and Stardust pillars aren't too bad, the gravity debuff in the Vortex pillar is rage-inducingly frustrating and feels far too easy to get completely stunlocked by, the Solar pillar is fine apart from the frankly absolutely stupid damage dealt by the Crawltipedes. Given their frequency of spawning and movement speed, dealing over 200 damage to full Warding + Beetle Armour feels poorly thought out at best and makes the Solar pillar feel like a sheer war-of-attrition chore more than an engaging or enjoyable experience. Don't get me wrong, the Solar one is certainly possible and doesn't necessarily feel imbalanced per se, but something can be balanced and still not be even slightly fun to play against.

I don't even know what to say about the Moon Lord in Expert multiplayer. With 4 players using endgame gear with maxed-out modifiers, 500hp (600 with lifeforces) and :red:tons of potions/buffs we still eventually just gave up. The fight is tedious, drawn-out and after getting the Heart down low and then all getting killed from full HP in a matter of seconds and causing the boss to despawn we all agreed that trying again was an exercise in futility. Don't get me wrong, it's possible; if we'd spent another half hour or more fishing, farming and preparing the veritable buffet of potions required and retried we likely could've beaten it, but knowing that to get all of the gear we wanted for four people we'd likely have to do the entire bloody thing with the Cultist fight, all four pillars and the unnecessarily long Moon Lord all over again multiple times we quickly came to the conclusion that we'd rather do literally anything else. I'm also not quite sure how I feel about the Spectre Hood and Vampire Knives being useless in this fight; balancing a boss by effectively removing a weapon and an armour bonus from the game for the duration of the fight feels a bit cheesy.

Can't comment on the game post-Moon Lord because as stated above we haven't gotten there yet. We're a bunch of Terraria diehards so we probably will spend hours making a giant super-efficient arena for him, farming potions etc. and try again because we want dem drops but I'll probably have to mute myself in Mumble while we do it so my incredibly frustrated complaining about the fight doesn't lower morale, which speaks volumes as it's the only fight in the game to ever have that effect on me. No, I do not by any means consider that a good thing and no, I do not expect to have fun with the Moon Lord fight, nor with the inevitable five or six more times we'll have to farm it for gear.

Overall, up until around mid-Hardmode, Expert mode multiplayer is great! Rewards good play, gives seriously awesome rewards for the extra difficulty for the most part and really adds a whole new dimension to and breathes new life into the game. However, as has been said many times earlier in the thread, Hardmode has some serious bull towards the end which smacks really badly of the age-old Terraria problems of a) too much grindy downtime between everything, b) often crossing the line between fun challenging difficulty and frustrating unfair-feeling difficulty and c) trying to be a bullet hell game in places when the game's mechanics really don't suit it (though this last one I will freely admit is no more than my personal opinion, but a lot of long-time players I know agree).

Keep up the amazing work guys, but I personally definitely feel that the Expert lategame in multiplayer (and in singleplayer too, by the sound of some previous posts) needs some serious tweaking still.

Now, miscellaneous tiny gripes.

Either make someone sell Wormhole potions or make them less time-consuming to craft please. They should be expensive, but it's borderline essential in the Expert multiplayer lategame to have stacks and stacks of them and Specular Fish take FOREVER to farm. Making them appear in pots and chests is a nice touch and all but it's nowhere close to the reliable supply that is needed by the endgame. The Alchemy table was an awesome addition to somewhat mitigate this so props for that, but the RNG nature of it means it can never truly be relied on.

Why on Earth does the Jungle Mimic only drop potions when the three other giant Mimics drop extremely useful and fun gear? Feels random and nonsensical.

Mentioned already but seriously please make the Cultist actually have some drops apart from the cool mask. I know the main point of him is to trigger the Lunar event but for such a challenging (and fun!) fight, no rewards felt really underwhelming.

More than one new enemy in Hardmode Goblin Invasions please! The Summoner is cool and so are his drops but only having the one makes the event feel like no more than an occasional nuisance once all three of his drops are obtained.

Please, for the love of god, make the Psycho Knife's invis override the aggro-pulling effects of the Turtle and Beetle Armor such that you actually don't get targeted. Unless I'm just getting unlucky with my positioning or don't quite understand the item yet it feels like a seriously awesome concept that doesn't really work in practice right now if you're actually using the armour that makes most sense with it and it makes the weapon feel kinda lacklustre.

Wall of Text has been defeated!

Last edited:
Wall of Text uses Resurrection. It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Gonna start with my expert mode feedback first. Bear in mind, that this is coming from someone who's started fresh, in singleplayer, and hasn't touched a boss yet(Want to grab plat armor before starting my boss-hunting) aside from being roflstomped by King Slime.

1. At the beginning, the expert mode changes feels more tedious than challenging to me. Dealing with most mobs head-on isn't really the best tactic so instead you end up building walls around yourself or pits to then whittle down the mob's hp. In other words, dealing with most of the mobs thus far feels more time-consuming than engaging. I will admit however, that I don't have a decent solution to offer here since any idea I have merely results in the mobs being cheap instead of challenging.

2. Mobs picking up coins: Unlike what's stated, they pick up any dropped coins and not just those that fall when you die. I don't have an issue with this in and of itself but I would like to echo what's been said by others and suggest that those who pick up coins(at least above a certain amount) take a bit of time to despawn. Dying and dropping your gear/coins and potentially not being able to retrieve them is one thing, not even being given a chance to reclaim what you lost there is another. If the intent of this mechanic is a decent probability of losing any money not banked, just make it disappear instead of dropping. Could make a portal akin to the gold portals show up and suck up the money while the player is waiting to respawn.

3. King Slime: Been waiting for another slime rain to happen so I can be sure of this but, based on my recollection, I'm not thrilled with its teleportation ability since it seems to poof right on the player. The only time I consider that to be a valid mechanic is when there's enough time for the player to know its happening and get out of immediate harm without requiring top-tier reaction speed. That aside, I do think the idea of the Slime Rain is interesting and it finally caused me to have a meeting with King Slime.

4. Quick Stacking: Not an expert only bit but something that could use just a bit of refinement. Any chance we could get a second favorite option that instead of keeping the item from quickstacking completely, allows us to keep a specified number of the item(or just stashes all but one)? For example, I like keeping ores in the bottom right of my inventory, arranged by tier this would let me keep the inventory arrangement of the ores while stashing excess whenever I head into base.

5. Detonators: Love this change. Did laugh a bit when I came across one hooked to the abandoned minecart tracks I was currently traversing.

6. Fossil Armor: Given the requirements to obtain the armor, it really should have more defense than it does.

7. Yo-yos are rather interesting.

8. Info accessories not needing to be equipped is awesome, if annoying on inventory space.
---
That's all the feedback off the top of my head at the moment. On to a couple of responses to things mentioned in the previous wall of text:

Also, the Mechanical Minecart feels like a pretty underwhelming reward for beating all three mechs; while the cross-map mobility it gives you if you take the time to build cross-map rails is pretty sick, it kinda feels like it could easily have been a full drop from one of the three with the other two giving their own drops.
While I haven't gotten to this point, as I was looking at the expert-specific boss drops, I too felt a smidgen underwhelmed that the mech. bosses' drops were handled this way.

If this is done, maybe also implement some way to fight the Lunatic Cultist that doesn't trigger the Lunar event such that players can farm the drops they want without it being a pain in the :red:. A boss summoner crafted with Dungeon drops, perhaps?
Simple method: Make the cultist drop an item that starts the Lunar Event.

Stay tuned for the upcoming sequel Wall of Text: The Text Generation >.>

3. King Slime: Been waiting for another slime rain to happen so I can be sure of this but, based on my recollection, I'm not thrilled with its teleportation ability since it seems to poof right on the player. The only time I consider that to be a valid mechanic is when there's enough time for the player to know its happening and get out of immediate harm without requiring top-tier reaction speed. That aside, I do think the idea of the Slime Rain is interesting and it finally caused me to have a meeting with King Slime.
Before he teleports, he starts shrinking and falling apart, leaving bits of slime on the floor. I didn't notice this in my first encounter, but whenever I had a rematch against him I was able to use it to know in advance when he teleports and avoid the attack.

Before he teleports, he starts shrinking and falling apart, leaving bits of slime on the floor. I didn't notice this in my first encounter, but whenever I had a rematch against him I was able to use it to know in advance when he teleports and avoid the attack.
Well, like I said I've dealt with him once so far. My world seems to be stingy on giving me the events. I've had one blood moon and one slime rain. Does seem to rain(normally) quite a bit though.

Well, like I said I've dealt with him once so far. My world seems to be stingy on giving me the events. I've had one blood moon and one slime rain. Does seem to rain(normally) quite a bit though.
Same here, it took ages to get another blood moon, and the only other event I've had is a single goblin army. I hear hardmode has no shortage of solar eclipses though, so I guess there's that to look forward to...

The Solar Tablet is the perfect re-balance, I'd say we've all been waiting for it (subconsciously)
Solar_Tablet.png

Man, expert mode is hard..
Why is there no drop for the cultist :(
I was a bit disappointed
1.3 has been the best update!!!!!!!!!!!

I can sum up 1.3 in five simple words: It was worth the wait!
My only complaint would be the lack of drops from Cultist. The vanity mask is awesome, the trophy is neat, and the craft station is a obviously needed thing to advance further... But the lack of any real boss items like weapons, armor, wings, magic or such feels kinda sad, specially since it's the most fun boss fight in the game, both in terms of the battle itself, and the fact that we are not facing another huge monster, but a small guy just like ourselves!

However this is still just a minor complaint, as the rest of 1.3 has completely blown my mind ( in a good way! )!

Expert mode Granite elementals vs a fresh Hardcore character are crap.

These guys have been the bane of my existence since dirt tier.
However so far I've reached gold tier and are currently tackling the jungle and these granite elementals are still the most annoying mob since swimming bats / clowns.

It's extremely apparent when trying to explore in new areas of the map where they'll often just pop out of the black from beneath or above you and end your game if you don't have godlike reactions.

Unlike other mobs that can go through walls these guys have No sound cues and No visual cues just constant fear and stress of death at any moment, this can even happen if you don't happen to be near a mini granite biome or even on the approach to one which you do not know about yet.

You can't ditch them either cause they'll follow through the wall and they take forever to kill after locking them down.

Just pure nuisance.

However so far I've reached gold tier and are currently tackling the jungle and these granite elementals are still the most annoying mob since swimming bats / clowns.

It's extremely apparent when trying to explore in new areas of the map where they'll often just pop out of the black from beneath or above you and end your game if you don't have godlike reactions.

Unlike other mobs that can go through walls these guys have No sound cues and No visual cues just constant fear and stress of death at any moment, this can even happen if you don't happen to be near a mini granite biome or even on the approach to one which you do not know about yet.

You can't ditch them either cause they'll follow through the wall and they take forever to kill after locking them down.

Just pure nuisance.
Huh... For some reason, I never had a problem with those, and they never snuck up on my by passing through a wall. In-fact, a lot of times I would actually notice them getting stuck on a wall trying to get to me, making it easy for me to kill them. The way you've described it though, they sound like a completely different enemy from the one I've been slaying.

Just pure nuisance.

I'll admit after just stumbling across them, I'm not fond of the Granite mobs either but that's mainly due to the invulnerability periods. Doesn't make them harder to deal with, just tedious. Had no problem taking an elemental down with a yoyo, just took forever. At least I was able to go to where the golem was and smack him repeatedly with my spear. Wiki mentions that they only get their wall bypassing abilities if they're away from the player and my experience with the one I dealt with seems to concur with that.

Huh... For some reason, I never had a problem with those, and they never snuck up on my by passing through a wall. In-fact, a lot of times I would actually notice them getting stuck on a wall trying to get to me, making it easy for me to kill them. The way you've described it though, they sound like a completely different enemy from the one I've been slaying.
I'll admit after just stumbling across them, I'm not fond of the Granite mobs either but that's mainly due to the invulnerability periods. Doesn't make them harder to deal with, just tedious. Had no problem taking an elemental down with a yoyo, just took forever. At least I was able to go to where the golem was and smack him repeatedly with my spear. Wiki mentions that they only get their wall bypassing abilities if they're away from the player and my experience with the one I dealt with seems to concur with that.
I feel like I have encountered these buggers an above average amount haha.

I have also had the usual bunch that get stuck on walls while I have been clearing out caverns/finishing off areas I have been to before and they're not difficult to deal with at all just tedious.
However it is just annoying as hell when I'm trying to find a new cavern to explore after clearing the old ones I have opened up, or making a direct tunnel to a patch of ore I see through a wall.

Usually I'll try digging straight across or straight down while surrounded by solid walls for a bit either side when trying to find new areas or getting to ore.
They'll come straight to you until they are on top of you without you knowing they are coming in this instance which can become a massive panic very quickly out of the blue.

It doesn't happen often but it is complete :red: when they do pop up just to troll.

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

I tried to get into Expert Mode with a few of my friends but it was way too difficult to be fun.
The thing that made is tedious were the boss fights - not the new mechanics, but the amount of health. I really would love to customise what the expert mode adds, because all of the new enemy AI is wonderful but the upscaling of the health makes the enemies way too damage-spongy.

Also the Slime Mount needs to be fixed, the only reason my friends and I beat the Brain of Cthulhu is because my friend found that you can cheese it by goomba-stomping it by getting stuck between the ceiling of the crimson hive and the brain which deals insane amounts of damage, instakilling it.

Some things I noticed with building:

There is currently no way to do living Rich Mahogany/Jungle Leaf blocks. Can the Wood/Leaf Wand maybe get the ability to place those down if Rich Mahogany wood is used and maybe get alternatives for the other wood types(Ebonwood, Shadewood, Pearlwood, Boreal, Palm, Spooky) too ?

Also, can we maybe one day get the ability to obtain every background wall, including the hostile enemy spawning ones/the ability to craft "hostile" dungeon walls/lizhard walls/others into "friendly" ones and vice versa ?

Some things I noticed with building:

There is currently no way to do living Rich Mahogany/Jungle Leaf blocks. Can the Wood/Leaf Wand maybe get the ability to place those down if Rich Mahogany wood is used and maybe get alternatives for the other wood types(Ebonwood, Shadewood, Pearlwood, Boreal, Palm, Spooky) too ?

Also, can we maybe one day get the ability to obtain every background wall, including the hostile enemy spawning ones/the ability to craft "hostile" dungeon walls/lizhard walls/others into "friendly" ones and vice versa ?
You can find a Living Rich Mahogany Wood/Leaf Wands in the underground jungle.

You can find a Living Rich Mahogany Wood/Leaf Wands in the underground jungle.
Oh thanks, I didn't know that. I was just talking about it with a friend(who has found like 3 of those trees) and he didn't know if there was a way to place them.

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK (since this appears to be the header for that)

I think the BoC's Expert Mode AI could be more explicit. I just defeated him with a Space Gun and Full Meteorite, and I didn't actually have any trouble with the new AI. If it wasn't for the forums, I wouldn't even know that Creepers inflicted status effects, considering they're not that hard to dodge. The mirror images from the second phase didn't do much for me either because it was fairly obvious which one was the real one.

My suggestions to make the BoC a little more potent:
  1. Allow Creepers to shoot projectiles when they reach the end of their charge and haven't hit or haven't been hit by the player. These projectiles would not inflict status debuffs, but would add a layer of difficulty to people who use ranged attacks and stay out of range, while not adding another penalty for melee players (haven't tried meleeing the BoC in Expert Mode but I don't think it will work out that well anyway).
  2. Make the mirror images not only more opaque when the BoC has less health, but also when the player moves further away from the BoC. This will make it harder for players that try and keep their distance and use range weapons to spot the right one, forcing them to get closer. Since you will probably hit the real one anyway if you're aiming at an illusion, it doesn't matter if you can clearly see the real one up close.

Last edited:
EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK (since this appears to be the header for that)

snip

While I generally agree, I also know some other (competent) players who struggle VERY HARD with expert BoC because they just aren't as well INTO THE ZONE as some others. Thus, I think it's fine. Chalk it up to you naturally being very good at this fight, because not many others would dare say Expert BoC is easy in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom