Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spawn for medusa isn't perfect and why the heck should players be forced in every new world they create to explore caverns and such, have need to build this elaborate box for every marble biome that generates just because an enemy is broken and needs a rebalance

hell lower the stoned debuff timer by 1 second, and i'll be pleased enough with it, but if you could remove the massive fall damage increase i'd be way more pleased

I'm not saying a stone statue shouldn't take more falling damage, but it shouldn't be as exponentially higher than actual fall damage based on the fact when frozen you don't suffer this, and like a previous user here has stated ICE SHATTERS MORE EASILY THAN MOST STONE, but you don't see the frozen debuff murdering players with a 2 block drop do you?
Stoned turns YOU into stone. Frozen makes ice for AROUND you.

Stoned turns YOU into stone. Frozen makes ice for AROUND you.
If you are frozen then that includes your blood, and all water in your body....

I don't think you get this, but A FROZEN PERSON CAN REDDING SHATTER IF THEY FALL SEVERAL METERS!

is it really that hard to understand for goodness sake its like you don't even think about these things
My final idea for medusa is literally only make it work if she has LoS just like the Medusas Head weapon that would be fair

If you are frozen then that includes your blood, and all water in your body....

I don't think you get this, but A FROZEN PERSON CAN REDDING SHATTER IF THEY FALL SEVERAL METERS!

is it really that hard to understand for goodness sake its like you don't even think about these things
My final idea for medusa is literally only make it work if she has LoS just like the Medusas Head weapon that would be fair
If you were truly frozen all the way through, you would be dead and unrevivable due to rupturing of cell membranes. I'm pretty sure it's just ice surrounding you.

This so much this....

we are talking about a magical world where death isn't permanent remember?
*cough*hardcore*cough* Anyway, logic aside, we're talking about a world where eyeballs are as big as your characters torso, unicorns roam free and the dead rise from their graves nightly. Why does it matter if the difference is yu're encased in ice or turned competely to stone?

*cough*hardcore*cough* Anyway, logic aside, we're talking about a world where eyeballs are as big as your characters torso, unicorns roam free and the dead rise from their graves nightly. Why does it matter if the difference is yu're encased in ice or turned competely to stone?
I could argue that backing up a hardcore character makes death not so permanent, but that defeats the purpose of hardcore doesn't it...

Nuke them. Nuke them from orbit.
My falling-to-death-while-petrified-from-off-screen count is 6 and rising. I don't even think I've died for more than 6 times on any playthrough pre-1.3, excluding deaths while fighting bosses and the moons.

Also taking more damage while turned into stone makes absolutely no sense. I'm sure a man-sized rock would be harder to dislocate than bones.

motivator3e483168610aceb95163ae4cde.jpg

Aside from her being strong, I was thinking that the blindfold acc should protect you from her turning you into stone (also including ankh and ankh shield since blindfold builds into them) because you have to look at medusa for her to turn you to stone (in the myth) so if you have a blindfold on you can't see her

I disagree with any suggestion about a counter to the Medusa that is not directly a nerf to the thing itself.
Medusae are fundamentally broken. Using up an accessory slot - hell, even an inventory slot - to use against a single, broken enemy is a silly waste.

It's like the government forcibly taking away your couch for no reason, and saying that you need to go to the "Don't take my couch away" center to prevent it from happening. They shouldn't be able to take my couch away in the first place!

I disagree with any suggestion about a counter to the Medusa that is not directly a nerf to the thing itself.
Medusae are fundamentally broken. Using up an accessory slot - hell, even an inventory slot - to use against a single, broken enemy is a silly waste.
Adding the effect to the blindfold is not a silly waste. All of the items that build into the ankh charm suck on their own, they're all a waste of an inventory slot really. Also, I don't think Medusa is as OP as everything thinks she is, yeah she's a :red: but there's no way she needs a mega nerf, getting rid of her uniqueness.

Well, I've never had a Medusa attacking me through walls, and I'm typically grounded so I haven't shattered yet, but I certainly agree that them hitting you from offscreen is unfun. Reducing the range enough that you have a chance to see them is all I ask-- if I know it's there, I can get behind cover, face the other way, or hit it fast enough to keep it from attacking.

If we want to get down scales to scales, I think the turtles are more OP than medusa.

Try having a Jungle biome with multiple Marble minibiomes in it. Then you don't have to choose your poison-- you can have Medusae petrifying you from offscreen so you can't shoot down the turtles attacking you from offscreen! `:mad:
Yeah, that worldgen really sucked. It also has Marble minibiomes immediately above the Underworld. Random petrification from offscreen while fighting the Wall of Flesh is pretty much instant murder.

Adding the effect to the blindfold is not a silly waste. All of the items that build into the ankh charm suck on their own, they're all a waste of an inventory slot really. Also, I don't think Medusa is as OP as everything thinks she is, yeah she's a :red: but there's no way she needs a mega nerf, getting rid of her uniqueness.
Making the Blindfold a counter vs. Medusae is pointless, and a slap in the face as well.
It means that you need to grind a Blindfold out of the all 2 enemies in this game that actually drop the thing. And even then, it's going to take up an accessory slot. You're wasting an accessory slot which could be used for a much better item to counter one enemy and a useless debuff.

Sure, the Ankh Shield solves this problem, but only in the endgame, and ONLY if you're willing to farm every single thing required to actually make the Shield in the first place.

We just need a simple nerf. No need to make it complicated.

Making the Blindfold a counter vs. Medusae is pointless, and a slap in the face as well.
It means that you need to grind a Blindfold out of the all 2 enemies in this game that actually drop the thing. And even then, it's going to take up an accessory slot. You're wasting an accessory slot which could be used for a much better item to counter one enemy.

Sure, the Ankh Shield solves this problem, but only in the endgame, and ONLY if you're willing to farm every single thing required to actually make the Shield in the first place.

We just need a simple nerf. No need to make it complicated.
You're making the ankh shield seem like it's harder to get than it is, I always get mine immediately after getting into hardmode and it's really no big deal. Some tweaks with Medusa can be helpful but I don't think nerfing a unique enemy to the ground will help anything

You're making the ankh shield seem like it's harder to get than it is, I always get mine immediately after getting into hardmode and it's really no big deal. Some tweaks with Medusa can be helpful but I don't think nerfing a unique enemy to the ground will help anything
Well I find the Ankh Shield pointless as it is. The worst debuff it protects you from is Broken Armor, which isn't too bad of a penalty anyway.
Plus, not everyone has the same amount of luck. What took you 15 minutes might have taken days for someone else.

And once again, it comes down to the "A whole item to counter a single broken enemy" thing. I never go for the Ankh Shield, I think it's useless. But because of a broken mechanic, do I have to? It doesn't even do anything against any boss in the game except the Queen Bee.

If the Medusa was a boss summoned by the player, sure, I would be willing to use a Blindfold for once to counter the Stoned debuff, that's actually not a bad mechanic for a boss fight. But a pre-Hardmode enemy should not require an endgame player to use special counters against it.

Last edited:
Most of the poor soldiers and heroes sent after medusa didn't get a chance to even see her either. I'm not sure if I am comfortable with the whole "IT MUST BE NERFED" sentiment here though.
Lore should take a backseat to gameplay enjoyability. If you want to bring lore into things, then Mario should instantly die upon entering Bowser's castle due to convection from all the lava pits. However, we tend to let these things slide, because games are supposed to be fun.

Medusa never targets me through blocks. Also, she will only spawn on marble, so if you put walls boxing in any top surface marble, you should be able to block her after she spawns.
I have been regularly stunned by Medusas from an off-screen Marble biome and sent falling to my death.

Medusa is unique enemy in the game. An enemy which brings excitement to a once boring cave system. "Will there be a medusa in here? OH :red:. There was. " as opposed to "Oh great. It's a pigron. Well. Better go stab it i guess. " Even the hoplite is just as grey as the other biters that congeal in the caverns.
Being unique does not justify being frustrating.

You guys... Medusa doesn't need a nerf, your skills need a buff, just bring a yoyo and climb somewhere where they can't reach you, or just use grenades.
As has been mentioned previously in the thread, they will stone you from outside of your view range, which is not fun.

Git gud, or just stay away from marble biomes in general.
I have entirely eliminated all aspects of TWO marble biomes near a farming spot and they will still spawn.

"It's OK if an enemy is stupid OP with very few effective counters because muh lore"

Why even let this game exist, then? Just create a world, and instead of playing the game, you just get a message telling you that Cthulhu wiped the place from the time-space continuum a zillion gorillion years ago. Or, you summon the Eye of Cthulhu, and then the screen just goes crazy and you die instantly, because that's how it works in the Lovecraft novels.

Going from full health to dead instantly because of a monster that spawned offscreen, without even any sort of projectile or means of avoiding it, is unacceptable. If you have any arguments as to otherwise, I'm all ears, because I cannot think of any.
This echoes a lot of my sentiments, really.

The purpose of an enemy should not be to expressly kill the player in what is essentially an awful, bandaid, ROM hack method. Yes, an enemy should be trying to kill you, but you should still be able to have fun while fighting it. Medusas are not fun to deal with. Nobody I know enjoys them. I love the concept but hate the execution. Stone NEEDS an immunity item, preferably crafted from Marble so there's less grinding, the range on the Medusa's stone attack needs to be reduced, and Ankh Shield needs to be capable of providing immunity to Stone so people just trying to mine out caves for building blocks don't get randomly punked by a Medusa spawning.

I'd say Countercurse Mantra + [Stone immunity item], and then work that into the Ankh Charm ingredients, then Ankh Shield grants immunity to Stone as well.

Never been stoned by an off-screen Medusa nor been killed by fall damage while stoned (yet), but I can tell you that the hoplite/medusa combo is really pretty deadly in Expert and/or Hardcore mode. The enemy is well and truly broken, I think someone had their head in the clouds while coding this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom