PC If you haven't tried fishing yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpes Inculta

Queen Slime
You most definitely should. It is bundles of fun.

Something abou finding a quest fish and picking up crates is really satisfying. At first, it's hard to build artificial pools for each biome and getting bait can be a pain, but it gets easier.

It's very rewarding, and I recommend all who haven't done it to try it. :)

Once you start amassing iron/gold crates, the amount of master bait you will obtain gets ridiculous and will basically supply you forever.

Yeah fishing is cool when you just want to chill out.

I kinda wish that surface houses weren't required just to get any reasonable amount of decent bait.

Worms almost never spawn from my experiences, once you break the few large boulders your world started with, and combine em with stars... once you run out of those, you're left with Fireflies.

I can go mucking around Underground for ages and never see any worms, and Fireflies requires that you have a town on the surface to get rid of the enemy spawns so that they will spawn... but then, their spawn is so erratic that it is just ridiculous. One night you can wait the whole night and see not a single firefly, other nights there are tons of them... but usually on the "hardly any" side.

I'm still of the opinion that they need to make bait more accessible.

Once you start amassing iron/gold crates, the amount of master bait you will obtain gets ridiculous and will basically supply you forever.

You need to actually start getting crates, first. I've only seen a few Wooden (I've seen ONE Golden Crate... one.) while doing quests and I'm starting to run out of enchanted worms. Of course the RNG loves cheaping me... Sitting Duck Pole + Enchanted Bait = what, like 75% fishing power? Sometimes I lose a 3 baits in 3 consecutive casts... that's not good when I have like... 12 left.

I kinda wish that surface houses weren't required just to get any reasonable amount of decent bait.

Worms almost never spawn from my experiences, once you break the few large boulders your world started with, and combine em with stars... once you run out of those, you're left with Fireflies.

I can go mucking around Underground for ages and never see any worms, and Fireflies requires that you have a town on the surface to get rid of the enemy spawns so that they will spawn... but then, their spawn is so erratic that it is just ridiculous. One night you can wait the whole night and see not a single firefly, other nights there are tons of them... but usually on the "hardly any" side.

I'm still of the opinion that they need to make bait more accessible.

You need to actually start getting crates, first. I've only seen a few Wooden (I've seen ONE Golden Crate... one.) while doing quests and I'm starting to run out of enchanted worms. Of course the RNG loves cheaping me... Sitting Duck Pole + Enchanted Bait = what, like 75% fishing power? Sometimes I lose a 3 baits in 3 consecutive casts... that's not good when I have like... 12 left.
Gotta do the quests. You eventually get more bait than you know what to do with. Do you have the fishing line that makes it so your line doesn't break?

Jungle plants and vines now drop "Grubby," "Sluggy," and "Buggy," baits with 15, 25, and 40% bait power respectively. If you're willing to make a few lines of jungle grass, you can get 15-20 in total per harvest. As quickly as jungle plants grow, you shouldn't have to wait too long between harvests, either.

Gotta do the quests. You eventually get more bait than you know what to do with. Do you have the fishing line that makes it so your line doesn't break?

One playthrough has one, the other does not. And you kinda need bait to do the quests, lol.

Jungle plants and vines now drop "Grubby," "Sluggy," and "Buggy," baits with 15, 25, and 40% bait power respectively. If you're willing to make a few lines of jungle grass, you can get 15-20 in total per harvest. As quickly as jungle plants grow, you shouldn't have to wait too long between harvests, either.

The only ones I've ever seen are the 15s. I've never once seen a 25 or a 40 yet whatsoever and I was mucking around in the jungle for a very long time yesterday, some 4 hours because of a bad golem room spawn (I had to clear out a HUGE section of the jungle just to get any mobs to spawn INSIDE the Temple and not outside of it).

Oh, and the almost 120 turtles and only 1 shell deal that was happening yesterday...

Fireflies spawn based on the moon cycle; they're most common on the night of the moon's second phase, and butterflies are common the day after that. I just wish that a bug net would destroy grass like weapons and pickaxes do, so that I could just run through the world harvesting all the bugs that pop out of destroyed grass without worrying about killing them accidentally.

I just wish that a bug net would destroy grass like weapons and pickaxes do, so that I could just run through the world harvesting all the bugs that pop out of destroyed grass without worrying about killing them accidentally.
Three words: Golden Bug Net.

Okay, that's worth a few more words. It's an Angler quest reward. Has auto-swing and it's big enough to grab worms while mounted. Mow and catch at the same time. If not for this I might never have noticed there was such a thing as a Gold Grasshopper worth 10 gold.

Okay, that's worth a few more words. It's an Angler quest reward. Has auto-swing and it's big enough to grab worms while mounted. Mow and catch at the same time. If not for this I might never have noticed there was such a thing as a Gold Grasshopper worth 10 gold.
Ah ok. I'm still waiting for the laptop I ordered 2 weeks ago to be shipped so I haven't had the chance to play yet (only other computers I can use rn are macs D: )

I had to look this up to see if it was real. I'm absolutely impressed. Red and the team has certainly thought of everything. This is a MASSIVE help to locating bait on the surface. Now, to actually have the angler give it to you as a reward early on...;)

Ever since 1.3 released, I've really taken advantage of fishing.

Last edited:
I never really bothered with fishing before until a friend threw a few crates at me.

It's all downhill from there. You obtain more HM ores from just fishing than you do from actually hunting for them, and the Seedler is an absolute game changer.

I honestly think Seedler shouldn't be available from fishing due to how ludicrously powerful it is. With five players, three of them sporting Seedlers. we began shredding through Expert mech bosses with ease. It was almost disgusting.

The only ones I've ever seen are the 15s. I've never once seen a 25 or a 40 yet whatsoever and I was mucking around in the jungle for a very long time yesterday, some 4 hours because of a bad golem room spawn (I had to clear out a HUGE section of the jungle just to get any mobs to spawn INSIDE the Temple and not outside of it).

Oh, and the almost 120 turtles and only 1 shell deal that was happening yesterday...
...I think RNG is having a laugh at you. At the same time, though, were you breaking all of the large plants? The ones that require a pickaxe to break? Those are the ones that you'd end up getting a lot of the baits from. I usually get at least 2 - 3 of the 25 baits from breaking all the plants in a small world surface jungle, and about a dozen of the 15s. On a related note, I'm not sure if you can get the 25s and 40s from breaking vines.

Regardless, Jungle plants grow fairly quickly, so you should be able to get a fair amount of bait in a relatively short time.

Or, if you're willing to invest a little bit more time, you could build a jungle skybridge. One spanning about half of a small world net me ~50 bait total in a single harvest. It's also a fairly good source of wood, if you don't mind Rich Mahogany.

But that actually requires fishing for the Seedler, not having someone dump a bunch of crates on you. I think I fished nearly 100 times until it finally showed up on my main character who sports a golden fishing pole and master bait. I can only hope I have even close to that on my new character, who just hit hard mode and is barely using a reinforced fishing pole with basic worms.

I hardly think the Seedler needs to not be available from fishing. You have to work to get that thing, I'd say it's a pretty good reward for so much effort.

Yay, another item that is totally awesome to get started on fishing...... that is gated behind..... lots of fishing and ludicrous RNG on top of that.

Again, that whole "Here, go kill a dragon! He drops a dragonslayer sword!" syndrome we got going on in Terraria these days.

It'd been nice to have the said dragonslayer sword before, yanno, fighting the dragon....

Yay, another item that is totally awesome to get started on fishing...... that is gated behind..... lots of fishing and ludicrous RNG on top of that.

Again, that whole "Here, go kill a dragon! He drops a dragonslayer sword!" syndrome we got going on in Terraria these days.

It'd been nice to have the said dragonslayer sword before, yanno, fighting the dragon....
It's hard at first, but it seriously gets exponentially easier once you get into it. It's like a snowball effect. :p If you're far enough, make the demonite/crimtane fishing rod and get some bait. Do the Angler quests to get easy bait. It doesn't use it as often as you think, once you get farther.

It's hard at first, but it seriously gets exponentially easier once you get into it. It's like a snowball effect. :p If you're far enough, make the demonite/crimtane fishing rod and get some bait. Do the Angler quests to get easy bait. It doesn't use it as often as you think, once you get farther.

I know it gets easier as you get further, I just wish they'd consider making fishing a little easier to start. I still say the Merchant should sell 5% or 10% bait. That way, you could grab weak bait anytime you run out, or to get yourself started if you wanted to just blow some time fishing without all the prep work.

Well, if you manage to find some Flower Boots in a Jungle Shrine, your bait hunting days are over. Simply walking over jungle grass will cause plants to spring up, which have a decent chance of hiding a Grubby, Sluggy, or Buggy (also, Grub Soup is easy to get if you do this, and it's nearly as good as Pumpkin Pie). Or just stand still with a yoyo atop jungle grass, and watch bugs fly out (credit goes to @DeadlyStr1ke for the yoyo idea).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom