1.3 Expert Hardmode is too hard?

I thought Gatligator was also HM only.

Easy WoF fight = Bee's Knees bow with a ton of wooden arrows. OR, farm queen bee for beenades/beeswax to make beenades. Stay just out of reach of WoF and spam the crap out of the bow/nades. As the fight lingers on you're going to have to tank the barrage of lasers though since they come out so fast toward the end.

Easy WoF fight = Bee's Knees bow with a ton of wooden arrows. OR, farm queen bee for beenades/beeswax to make beenades. Stay just out of reach of WoF and spam the crap out of the bow/nades. As the fight lingers on you're going to have to tank the barrage of lasers though since they come out so fast toward the end.

That's my problem right now. I have a full set of Molten, but the only way to raise my defense more is to reforge everything to Warding. That's going to take a lot of gold right there. I'll give it a shot though.

That's my problem right now. I have a full set of Molten, but the only way to raise my defense more is to reforge everything to Warding. That's going to take a lot of gold right there. I'll give it a shot though.
If you're playing Expert you pretty much need every accessory to be Warding.

I've defeated like 15 Mothrons and not one has dropped a Broken Hero Blade. I've had about a dozen Death Scythes drop though and that's how I was finally able to defeat Mothron for the first time. Since then its been a piece of cake. I sit in my teleportation room underneath my lava trap until he arrives, then I teleport out and fly back and forth spamming on the Death Scythe and dropping down to platforms or flying up to my "roof" (to prevent accidentally spawning wyverns as I fly madly about) as necessary to avoid his lunge attacks. I'm able to avoid the majority of its attacks and take minimal damage. Once its dead I just fly back to my teleporter and back into my room until the next one appears. With the Water Candle, I get on average 3-4 Mothrons spawning per Eclipse.

Otherwise, Expert mode has been challenging, but besides for Skeletron I haven't felt overwhelmed, and I've never felt I could not do it. I have only had 3 attempts at Plantera and its made me realize I need to drastically alter my strategy and arena for this newer faster version. I've got 72 armor, pushing 80 with Ironskin, but my mobility needs to be improved.

I've defeated like 15 Mothrons and not one has dropped a Broken Hero Blade. I've had about a dozen Death Scythes drop though and that's how I was finally able to defeat Mothron for the first time. Since then its been a piece of cake. I sit in my teleportation room underneath my lava trap until he arrives, then I teleport out and fly back and forth spamming on the Death Scythe and dropping down to platforms or flying up to my "roof" (to prevent accidentally spawning wyverns as I fly madly about) as necessary to avoid his lunge attacks. I'm able to avoid the majority of its attacks and take minimal damage. Once its dead I just fly back to my teleporter and back into my room until the next one appears. With the Water Candle, I get on average 3-4 Mothrons spawning per Eclipse.

Otherwise, Expert mode has been challenging, but besides for Skeletron I haven't felt overwhelmed, and I've never felt I could not do it. I have only had 3 attempts at Plantera and its made me realize I need to drastically alter my strategy and arena for this newer faster version. I've got 72 armor, pushing 80 with Ironskin, but my mobility needs to be improved.
Someone mentioned that for the 2nd phase of Plantera, circling will do nothing at all except get you killed.

Have you defeated all 3 Mech Bosses yet ? Mothron won't drop any Hero Swords before that.

What bums me out is that the second half of the game's bosses seem like they're almost balanced around having a gigantic resolution to see for miles around you. I looked up a youtube guide for the moon lord and despite playing full screen, I don't have nearly as much view space as the guy in the video did; for example, when those true eyes of cthulhu shoot that 6 orb cluster at you, those are already coming at me from off of the screen so I have no chance to try to change my position to avoid them unless I'm already moving in a correct direction before I even know they're there.

Couple that with bosses having so many laser stuff to dodge like a bullet hell knockoff game and everything just feels too overwhelming to deal with.

Most of you are probably familiar with the idea that intelligence is normally distributed (bell curve). Well, it's the same with gaming skill, so ~half of the players are better than average and the other half is worse than average. Therefore, it is very difficult to avoid a situation, where part of the players are complaining the game to be too easy while others complain it's impossibly difficult.
Actually, everything that is a sum of enough parts, is distributed normally due to central limit theorem. For example, throw a die a 1000 times. You'll get approximately the same relative frequency of numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Now do the same with 5 dice and calculate their sums. It is rare to get five sixes or ones, usually you'll get something in between those extremes. The factors included in the sum don't have to have the same scale, you'll get approximately normal distribution, even if you use 1 D4, 1 D6, 1 D8, 1 D12 and a D20. The mean and variance are just different than in the former example.

Also, as an 80's guy I remember the time when completing a game was the exception, not the rule. Don't know when this changed, though, and I'm not saying it was better then.

Have you defeated all 3 Mech Bosses yet ? Mothron won't drop any Hero Swords before that.

Yeah, I beat all the mech bosses. The funny thing that I didn't notice until I read it on here, but Reapers and Mothrons didn't even spawn until I beat all the mech bosses. I have had so many Eclipses in my world its ridiculous lol. Like seriously on average every 4-5 Terraria days.

Someone mentioned that for the 2nd phase of Plantera, circling will do nothing at all except get you killed.

Truth.

Oh it's possible. I did it. You just have to know when to speed through the vines, or stop for a second.

Oh it's possible. I did it. You just have to know when to speed through the vines, or stop for a second.

Did you create an arena or travel all over the jungle? My jungle doesn't have large enough pathways and I keep getting caught on something, so I created a massive square arena because it would have taken too much to try to make the actual jungle traversable.

I just create a 7 block high, 100 block long tunnel. Wire up some heart statues and place heart laterns/campfires and I beat expert plantera first try. Was quite easy actually.

I just create a 7 block high, 100 block long tunnel. Wire up some heart statues and place heart laterns/campfires and I beat expert plantera first try. Was quite easy actually.

Chewing through 42,000 health over a 100 block span seems rather fast.

Chewing through 42,000 health over a 100 block span seems rather fast.
Run from end to end. The main body doesn't deal that much damage, its the tentacles and the spore things that do the most damage.

Edit: and since its 7 blocks high, you can grapple over the spores to avoid them. plus the tentacles don't have much room to actually hit you.

Did you create an arena or travel all over the jungle? My jungle doesn't have large enough pathways and I keep getting caught on something, so I created a massive square arena because it would have taken too much to try to make the actual jungle traversable.
A small arena, big enough to be hugging the walls when Plantera's 9 hooks and 2475316571 minions come out.

That's a very interesting thought. Its worth a try. My arena is about 100x100, so it could be easily tried out by just creating a roof at the bottom. It could even be a bit shorter with teleporters at either end so you can continually run from left to right or vise versa without breaking momentum. I just say shorter because I wouldn't want to risk accidentally despawning Plantera when teleporting back to the other side. Since I don't know its despawn range, shortening it may not be necessary.

Run from end to end. The main body doesn't deal that much damage, its the tentacles and the spore things that do the most damage.

Edit: and since its 7 blocks high, you can grapple over the spores to avoid them. plus the tentacles don't have much room to actually hit you.

Wondering what weapon you're using.

I have to say: they didn't just make early hardmode far more difficult for expert mode, but for normal mode as well. At least, as far as I'm concerned. I never found the early stages of hardmode particularly worthy of its title - but then, they were designed to ease you in to the new difficulty curve. However, I feel grunt level mobs like Herplings have greatly increased in aggression and damage output, with more elites (old and new) such as the Giant Tortoises and Desert Spirits now being enemies that must be dealt with very efficiently and cautiously, else you be slaughtered.

Back
Top Bottom