Games that ruined their entire franchise

CraftedNightmare Here!

Official Terrarian
(I'm not too sure if there was a thread that was made before this that has the same purpose. I did check, but if there was, sorry)

We all have a favourite game franchise, or, have multiple. But for most, if not all, franchises, have a game that collapsed the entire franchise. Some franchises stopped entirely, some kept on going to reach the hands of us gamers for forgiveness, and either worked or not.

So, here's what this thread about: To discuss what games you think that ruined their franchise.

For me, it's a tough choice, but it'll have to be Bubsy 3D, of the Bubsy Bobcat franchise. The first 2 Bubsy games were ok, nothing new, and not "great", but it was something enjoyable. But when Bubsy 3D came out for PS1, I was like "What is this shizness?!" I mean, the graphics are terrible, there's lack of interest, vomit-inducing (when you jump from platform to platform) and when it tries to break the 4th wall, it's so desperate to compliment themselves. After the game, we never heard of Bubsy the Bobcat.

So, let's get started shall we?

It's not one of my favorite game franchises (please make my death quick and painless) , but I think that Sonic '06 was the death of Sonic's charm. Before that (granted, I was 6 if the game came out after March 27th, 2006), I never remembered Sonic having very many issues with getting quality games out to market. After that, though, all I've seen are terrible pieces of software. It's insulting to call them games.

*Clears throat* *points at fnaf 4*
The game's story was complete The kids were freed and the killer got what he deserved and now the last game is just there to celebrate how the last game was 1 year ago
(Maybe I am being a bit harsh since it hasn't really come out but still its just a extra in the series that we didn't need :p )

Super Paper Mario, it was cool but not cool like the first two games, i didnt enjoy to much
Super paper mario as an amazing game, probably one of the best on the wii, the biggest problem with it is the fact that it had absolutely no connection to the previous paper mario games, the gameplay elements weren't even similar. If it had a different name without paper in the title you probably would have loved it

I'd personally say that Skylanders ruined Spyro, for me personally at least. Considering the games make enough money to keep getting sequels obviously they're not that terrible, and Spyro already was on the decline, no doubt about that but I just feel like the game kind of killed it for me. I personally don't like having to buy a game, then several figurines to enjoy all the content
Either that or Ratchet and Clank Tools of destruction.
Back in the day I was a massive fan of Ratchet and Clank, and I still love the earlier games quite a bit. I just didn't like the whole reboot kinda thing. The new plot that was in the following games, the weird new aliens, and the whole planet design just didn't appeal to me as much as the original few did.

Dynasty Warriors 6 killed the franchise with portrayals of characters that became too outrageous. Granted, the portrayal of Zhang He and Gan Ning were already bad, but good god!

Halo 4. Every game up to that I loved but that was just trash. I hope that Halo 5 can recover but from what I played in the beta is will be great.

I think people are exaggerating a bit with certain games having "ruined" an entire franchise.

OT:
I'd probably have to say Sonic 06.
That game was bad, and a lot of Sonic games afterward didn't do so great, either.*cough cough SONIC BOOM cough cough*

Skyrim felt a little disappointing to me, at least compared to Oblivion. I don't know, I felt like Skyrim did its good stuff well, and its bad stuff poorly. I also feel that Skyrim was rather grey compared to Oblivion and Morrowind.

I think people are exaggerating a bit with certain games having "ruined" an entire franchise.

Also, this. Seems like people here are not saying that a game ruined that franchise, but rather that it was underwhelming compared to others (which is totally cool by me either way).

(I'm not too sure if there was a thread that was made before this that has the same purpose. I did check, but if there was, sorry)

We all have a favourite game franchise, or, have multiple. But for most, if not all, franchises, have a game that collapsed the entire franchise. Some franchises stopped entirely, some kept on going to reach the hands of us gamers for forgiveness, and either worked or not.

So, here's what this thread about: To discuss what games you think that ruined their franchise.

For me, it's a tough choice, but it'll have to be Bubsy 3D, of the Bubsy Bobcat franchise. The first 2 Bubsy games were ok, nothing new, and not "great", but it was something enjoyable. But when Bubsy 3D came out for PS1, I was like "What is this shizness?!" I mean, the graphics are terrible, there's lack of interest, vomit-inducing (when you jump from platform to platform) and when it tries to break the 4th wall, it's so desperate to compliment themselves. After the game, we never heard of Bubsy the Bobcat.

So, let's get started shall we?

It's not one of my favorite game franchises (please make my death quick and painless) , but I think that Sonic '06 was the death of Sonic's charm. Before that (granted, I was 6 if the game came out after March 27th, 2006), I never remembered Sonic having very many issues with getting quality games out to market. After that, though, all I've seen are terrible pieces of software. It's insulting to call them games.

First of all, excellent thread idea. And yes, Busby 3d was very dissapointing given the first game was definitely a classic. Good call. The same exact thing can be said for the Earthworm Jim series. What were they thinking with EWJ3D?

You're right on with Sonic but I think the series died with sonic adventure. That was the last one I enjoyed playing. Everything after that felt very forced. And don't get me started on "Sonic 4." The fact that they had the balls to choose that title is an abomination in itself.

For me, the most dissapointing of all is the final fantasy series. Games 6 through 10 were classics. Everything after that was just a slow death. I don't even pay attention to the series anymore, it's totally lost my interest. And now I hear they're finally remaking FF7? What desperation.

Honorable mention: the legend of Zelda series. Most of its titles are very good games but the "GameCube" Era of Zelda are the most forgettable games I've ever played.

Once again, great thread idea. Now we see what happens when games become a huge hit. Slow death.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437185824,1437185726][/DOUBLEPOST]One more: Banjo Kazooie.

The first game on n64 is one of my favorite games of all time. The sequel had some flaws but was an epic adventure nonetheless.

The 3rd one? Uhh.... just what the F.

First of all, excellent thread idea. And yes, Busby 3d was very dissapointing given the first game was definitely a classic. Good call. The same exact thing can be said for the Earthworm Jim series. What were they thinking with EWJ3D?

You're right on with Sonic but I think the series died with sonic adventure. That was the last one I enjoyed playing. Everything after that felt very forced. And don't get me started on "Sonic 4." The fact that they had the balls to choose that title is an abomination in itself.

For me, the most dissapointing of all is the final fantasy series. Games 6 through 10 were classics. Everything after that was just a slow death. I don't even pay attention to the series anymore, it's totally lost my interest. And now I hear they're finally remaking FF7? What desperation.

Honorable mention: the legend of Zelda series. Most of its titles are very good games but the "GameCube" Era of Zelda are the most forgettable games I've ever played.

Once again, great thread idea. Now we see what happens when games become a huge hit. Slow death.

Meh the FF series is going quite well really. 11 is a mmo with 14. 12 and 13 wasnt bad they were very much good. then the 13 games kinda made it first trilogy....

Edited: you also double posted by mistake

I'm sorry, forgettable? Wind Waker inspired other games that it's ok to have a simple art style, and to have an open overworld. Twilight Princess wasn't as great, but it was something enjoyable. Infact, it even inspired games to be "dark".
What's wrong with remaking games? Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Majora's Mask got a remake, and there wasn't any problems with it. Remaking games mean you are bringing those classic old times back to life.
The 3rd one? Uhh.... just what the F.
I think everyone agrees that the 3rd one not only killed the franchise, but it did a "too-ie" on it's grave

Super Paper Mario, it was cool but not cool like the first two games, i didnt enjoy to much
YOU JUST INSULTED MY FAVORITE WII GAME
Granted, I never played the first 2. So... Yeah.
Sticker Star, we can quite confidently say, was crap.

I heard that a lot of people were kind of disappointed with Pokemon ORAS, because it was too similar to RS. But I played Emerald, so I'll never know what they're talking about.

I feel there was a lot of ignorance of Super Mario World, but when they brought the classic Mario franchise to 3DS, that's when the trouble began for me. But I feel after Mario Bros 3, the series lost its popularity for no reason.

Call Of Duty Ghosts and every COD game after that.
I never played COD Ghosts, but I always get mad when people hate on it, because my cousin worked on it.
Oh. I have to make a contribution now...
Sonic Generations. If the games were bad before, this sealed it.

I never played COD Ghosts, but I always get mad when people hate on it, because my cousin worked on it.
Oh. I have to make a contribution now...
Sonic Generations. If the games were bad before, this sealed it.

What about all sonic games after sonic Adventures 1 is bad?

Back
Top Bottom