1.3 Expert Hardmode is too hard?

I found a plantera bulb just now. Trying to brain storm an arena.
Big and wide, possibly bigger than a screen (making sure the middle of the arena doesn't turn normal underground biome or Plantera is going to rage), various rows of platforms, remove all backgrounds to massively slow Plantera down as it'll have less spots where it can hook to.
That's how we did it, it's not extensive cheesing and the fight is still there.
I believe some people suggest to use a cart, but while that can be amazing for the second phase, I believe you still need to beat the first somewhere else or the projectiles are going to destroy you.

Ok. So just a double-sized plantera arena. Hopefully I won't need to do this more than once.
If you have to, construct a wide hallway from the second bulb to your arena, and be sure to lure Plantera there without him despawning. Or build another.

Luring Plantera shouldn't be an issue if your jungle is easy enough to navigate, otherwise just make the way there easier. Also a piece of advice, Plantera's projectiles pass through walls in expert mode, so that needs to be paid attention when luring.

I found not having an arena at all was best.

As in, staying in a confined area with it is the worst thing you can do, and you are best off just kiting through all of the jungle. No mobs ever spawn when Plantera is in play, its speed is massively mitigated when it's leashed down a long way behind you, and there's a lot of cover as you go.

Also, equip a bezoar. This is vital.

But yeah, with this strategy, the only time you should ever get hit at all in phase 2 is when you need to turn around and kite off the other way. Plantera is at the advange if you hang around the area the hooks are latched to, I learned that the best option was to just not be in said area and constantly move.

I'm just borrowing one of my friends UFO's and drill mounts for it. Drilling out a huuuuge area in the underground jungle then just flying around with the ufo.

I don't have access to a UFO since I haven't beat Golem yet. Stop cheating. :p

Lol I'm only using stuff I've fished up or found myself.
I'm tempted not to use the UFO though. I feel like that might be a bit too cheatsy. I'm using the drill mount though. After seeing that thing melt blocks I haaave to use it to make my arenas now ahaha.

The problem with difficulty is that it's subjective. Whilst some people find that expert mode is extremely difficult/frustrating, some people manage quite easily (whether it'd be defeating every boss on the first try or after a few attempts for example). Lowering the difficulty of expert mode would affect those who enjoy the challenge and therefore not solve much.

For some people, there isn't much point in expert mode. If they find normal mode challenging enough for them and they don't wish to invest their time into improving then they should stick with normal mode. For others, they find normal mode too easy and will probably end up only playing on expert from now on. I can't say what mode you should play, as you have to decide that for yourself.
This is a GREAT reply because it manages to avoid just telling people to "git gud" or that Expert Mode only feels too hard to them because they "aren't good enough".

It's also true. Expert Mode appeals to a lot of people right now, about as many people as those who have complaints about it so there'd really be no way to nerf it without simply flip-flopping the whole thing.

I think my only problem with Expert Mode is the inclusion of new treasures that can only be obtained by playing it. Just because of that alone, it doesn't feel like an "optional" challenge. It feels like something I have to do in order to have "really" played the game, thus causing me to feel frustration at those points where Expert Mode is killing me repeatedly and seeming to leave me with no recourse but to "cheat".

In that sense, Expert Mode feels like it is definitely too hard because it is directly preventing me from "completing" the game.

Optional Challenges should never have incentives beyond the greater challenge. Never.

I found a plantera bulb just now. Trying to brain storm an arena.

I made a big Square arena, with 4 teleporters in every corner and 2 lines of mincart tracks connecting the teleporters.

wire with diferent color the bottom right teleporter with the top left one, and the top right with the bottom left, bottom and top right with a red plate, to make a Z like cycle using mechanical cart .you can try a lot of weapons with this setup I recommend Death scythe because I put some lines of blocks to stop some of plantera's attacks

place lanterns, campfire, heart statues etc.

also make the bottom set up 2 or 3 blocks from the bottom in order to avoid damage from thorns balls

I made a big Square arena, with 4 teleporters in every corner and 2 lines of mincart tracks connecting the teleporters.

wire with diferent color the bottom right teleporter with the top left one, and the top right with the bottom left, bottom and top right with a red plate, to make a Z like cycle using mechanical cart .you can try a lot of weapons with this setup I recommend Death scythe because I put some lines of blocks to stop some of plantera's attacks

also make the bottom set up 2 or 3 blocks from the bottom in order to avoid damage from thorns balls

I've yet to find any heart statues, or get a sexy solar eclipse.

As for the drill mount, I would love to borrow one for arena preparation. Or would that be too much like cheating?

As for the drill mount, I would love to borrow one for arena preparation. Or would that be too much like cheating?

I'm running in a small world so maybe that's why I've found a few heart statues fast, maybe you should do that too, check jungles (pre-hard mode) and dungeons since there you'll always find statues

at that time I only had the drax (it took a while with all those moss hornets shooting stings at me, I made the arena near a pool, so every time you kill something there will be a chance for an arapaima to spawn...eventually the pool will be filled with arapaimas (don't touch them) and there will be fewer tortoises and hornets to bother you.

as for the solar eclipse, be patient, or you can try with other weapons

I'm running in a small world so maybe that's why I've found a few heart statues fast, maybe you should do that too, check jungles (pre-hard mode) and dungeons since there you'll always find statues

at that time I only had the drax (it took a while with all those moss hornets shooting stings at me, I made the arena near a pool, so every time you kill something there will be a chance for an arapaima to spawn...eventually the pool will be filled with arapaimas (don't touch them) and there will be fewer tortoises and hornets to bother you.

as for the solar eclipse, be patient, or you can try with other weapons

Yeah I've noticed that killing hornets and other land/air based creatures fills the pools pretty quick with fish. It's like a natural circle sort've thing.

For now I'm using a Seedler/Dartgun combo. Worked out pretty nicely with the mech-bosses.

I did something very similar with teleporters at the corners of a massive arena in a "Z" formation, so I could just continue running left to right, firing the death scythe through a platform of asphalt which would speed me up as I ran across the arena. I also set up 2 teleporters on the left and right side in the middle so I could fire off with the megashark and ichor bullets and teleport to the other side every second. It took 2 tries with that setup. The first time was a test and I tweaked it enough to work the second time, but with some close calls due to the spiky balls it drops. I could have put platforms down on the bottom instead of the asphalt, but I traded speed for creating a place for the spiky balls to drop through to. I found I could avoid most of them, but they hit HARD. I could have put a roof, but then it would have interfered with my shooting areas. It was way more complicated than it needed to be, but it got me through it. The rest of the game went smoothly after that for me. Golem. Piece of cake. Cultists? Just hit the right one when summoning, he looks darker in shade than the others. Moon Lord? Fly like hell and have Solar Eruption/Stardust Dragon crafted before hand. Took a couple tries for the Moon Lord, but I wanted to beat him legit before cheesing him with the spike trick (which no longer works anyway).

The rest of the game went smoothly after that for me. Golem. Piece of cake. Cultists? Just hit the right one when summoning, he looks darker in shade than the others. Moon Lord? Fly like hell and have Solar Eruption/Stardust Dragon crafted before han

Expert Hardmode went pretty well for me so far, the only ones who gave a bit of trouble were The wins and Duke Fishron, I'm on hold right now because I'm upgrading my base, moving items, etc

I was waiting days for a solar eclipse, and finally got what I wished for. With hallowed armor and a megashark, my body is not ready. Mothron is a serious mofo. Maybe a little too serious. Cant even outrun the damn thing on a mechanical minecart, and it will often do the cheapass "death vortex" thing like skeltron's head spin.

Last edited:
I was waiting days for a solar eclipse, and finally got what I wished for. With hallowed armor and a megashark, my body is not ready. Mothron is a serious mofo. Maybe a little too serious. Cant even outrun the damn thing on a mechanical minecart, and it will often do the cheapass "death vortex" thing like skeltron's head spin.

I'd definitely wait until I had access to the Lihzahrd Temple, Chlorophyte, and Lihzahrd traps with which to build a nice arena before worrying about Expert Hardmode Eclipses. Not coincidentally, that's also when you'll get access to Solar Tablets and Solar Tablet Fragments.

Back
Top Bottom