NPCs & Enemies Suggestion: Escaped Cultist NPC

Should this be a thing?

• Yes

Votes: 79 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I have a suggestion (Explain)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • No, but I have a suggestion (Explain)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Yes, and I have a sprite (Post sprites below)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

James Harrow

Queen Bee
Now this might not be the best suggestion, but here we go:
So the idea of this guy is to give you some items to help you with the end of game events, and bosses. Basicially, after defeating the cultist, you would hear see a message for the first time he is killed that says:
"You hear screams of terror echoing from the dungeon"
You would be able to find him like the mechanic or tinkerer bound and gagged. Right clicking him will turn him into the NPC.
He would also be unique compared to the other NPCs, as he would change what he wears during night and day. (Solar: Day :: Lunar: Night)
Cultist_Vanity.png

What would he sell though?
Well first off, instead of the clothier selling these, the escaped cultist would sell the cultist vanity items.
Lunar during night, and Solar during the day.
The prices would not change, and nor would the sprites.

Now what else would he sell? Because otherwise he would be a useless NPC.

Well its simple. He would sell items that would basically give the player the power of the lunatic cultist.
Most of these would be tome weapons, others would be different.
The weapons would include:

•Fire Burst:
rtSBjmY.gif

Pretty much an upgraded Razorblade Typhoon
74 Magic damage
Very Fast Speed
Weak Knockback
Uses 15 mana
Tooltip: Shoots three fast moving fireballs to home in on your enemies.
Price 40
GoldCoin.gif

(Note: the projectiles of this will move slightly slower than the Razorblade typhoon, just to make it not so OP)

Now onto an accessory:
Kisd5Dl.gif

•Phantom Replicator
Equipable
Tooltip: Summons transparent clones that when killed make attackers take full damage.
Price: 1
PlatinumCoin.gif

There would be two duplicates that would stand beside you like the titanium armor set bonus.
Each one takes about 2 seconds to recharge, and one of them would get killed each time you are hit.
You would still take damage, its just that the clones would be like a temporary thorns buff.
The buff would be similar to the solar shield from the Solar Armor set bonus. It would be sold on new moons.
(I know the sprite kinda sucks, but it works out.)

Back to weapons:
Xke2xew.gif

•Thunder Orb
70 Magic damage
Fast Speed
Average Knockback
Uses 20 mana
Tooltip: Summons a lighting orb to attack enemies.
Price: 50
GoldCoin.gif

This would be an upgraded Magnet Sphere.

The last weapon for now. I might add one for expert, but I can't think of a name for it.

•Icy Blast:
KJYrLlP.gif

90 magic damage
Slow Speed
Strong Knockback
Tooltip: Summons an Icy Blast to destroy your enemies.
Uses 25 mana
Price 67
GoldCoin.gif

This would use the cultist's Icy Blast spell and give it to terrarians.

Then for a pet summoning item:
•Phantasmic Egg:
Equipable
Tooltip: Summons a baby Phantasm Dragon
Price: 1
PlatinumCoin.gif
(Platinum)

Because who wouldn't wan't one? The buff would look like the stardust dragon, only ghostly white. This would only be sold on full moons.

And that would be it for the items he sells.
Now for his attack:
The cultist would have a similar attack to the wizard, only it would be more powerful and homing.

Then we've got the NPC dialogue:

Casual dialogue:
  • After you freed me, I managed to scavenge Master’s old spell tomes. Wanna see?
  • I would compliment your looks... if I could see you.
  • You want to see me without these robes? Trust me, you don’t.
  • Oh these? I change outfits because of traditional reasons.
  • Why was I down there? I was the only one who was wondering why we were chanting for so long.
When Freed:
  • Thanks. I was getting creeped out by those skeletal abominations.
When Homeless:
  • So like, are you going to let me live somewhere? No?
  • I'm getting tired of standing so much, can you at least get me a chair?
Slime Rain:
  • Slime Rain, you say? That isn’t in the prophecies.

When wearing Ancient Cultist mask:
  • MASTER?! Oh, it’s just you. Phew! I get scared when I see that mask.

If Goblin Tinkerer is alive:
  • [Name of Goblin Tinkerer] keeps throwing spiky balls at me. Is everyone in this town this hostile?
If Pirate is alive:
  • [Name of Pirate] tells me tales of you genociding the mass horde of pirates. You are brutal, man.

If Dryad is alive:
  • You know, [Name of Dryad] seems passive towards me. Thank goodness.

If Merchant is alive:
  • [Name of Merchant] attempted to steal my money again. I managed to scare him off.
Full Moon:
  • Werewolves? Aren’t those myths and legends?

That's it for his dialogue, but the other NPC's would have dialogue hinting at him as well.

When not present:

• Dryad: I hear the cultists bound one of their allies for questioning authority. Don't ask me how I know.
  • Clothier: I hear cultists know some secrets to... embroidery...
  • Wizard: I hear cultists aren't so bad once you get to know them!
When present:
  • Wizard: Whenever me and [Name of Cultist] try to experiment with magic, we almost always end up blowing something up.
  • Travelling Merchant: D'you think that that hooded fellow over there would be interested in buying some of my goods? I could get him a new hat!
  • Hair Stylist: I tried to give [Name of Cultist] a haircut, but he refused to even show his face.

I don't know what his NPC names would be, but I think they would be names of greek philosophers, or something ancient sounding.

Leave feedback and suggestions below to see how we could make this better.
(Thanks to @ninjakai03 for helping me with dialogue, spriting and more.)

If you support this, then please put a link or something in your signature, I need a little bit of support.

Attachments

• Escaped Cultist.png
    Escaped Cultist.png
    780 bytes · Views: 2,424
Last edited:
Only thing I saw a bit wrong when I glanced over is the Ghostly Lantern as there's already a magic lantern. I like the concept and even though there's a low chance of it being added soon, I enjoy this. It would certainly throw off some really good head canons with that dialogue sadly, but what can you do?

Now this might not be the best suggestion, but here we go:
So the idea of this guy is to give you some items to help you with the end of game events, and bosses.
So he would look like this:
View attachment 63880
I know its just looks like a solar cultist, but that's kinda the point.
So what would he sell?
Well first off, instead of the clothier selling these, the escaped cultist would sell the cultist vanity items.
Lunar during night, and Solar during the day.
View attachment 63883
The prices would not change, and nor would the sprites.

Now what else would he sell? Because otherwise he would be a useless NPC.

Well its simple. He would sell items that would basically give the player the power of the lunatic cultist.
Most of these would appear to be tome weapons, other would be different.
The weapons would include:

•Fire Burst:
Pretty much an upgraded Razorblade Typhoon
74 Magic damage
Very Fast Speed
Weak Knockback
Uses 15 mana
Tooltip: Shoots three fast moving fireballs to home in on your enemies.
Price 40 View attachment 63881

(Note: the projectiles of this will move slightly slower than the Razorblade typhoon, just to make it not so OP)

Next up would be a summon weapon called

•Ancient Destruction:
72 Summon Damage
Average Speed
Strong Knockback
Uses 10 mana
Tooltip: Summons an Ancient Vision to fight for you
Price: 40 View attachment 63881

In case you have no idea what an ancient vision is, here is a wiki link: http://terraria.wiki.gg/Ancient_Vision
The ancient vision summoned would be like a smaller version of the actual mob. In my opinion, it would act like a summoner turret, but it might still move around like a deadly sphere in the way it would atttack.

Now onto an accessory:
•Phantom Duplicator
Equipable
Tooltip: Summons clones that when killed make attackers take full damage.
Price: 1 View attachment 63891

There would be two duplicates that would stand beside you like the titanium armor set bonus.
Each one takes about 2 seconds to recharge, and one of them would get killed each time you are hit.
You would still take damage, its just that the clones would be like a temporary thorns buff.
The buff would be similar to the solar shield from the Solar Armor set bonus. It would be sold on new moons.

Back to weapons:
•Lightning Sphere
70 Magic damage
Fast Speed
Average Knockback
Uses 20 mana
Tooltip: Summons a lighting sphere to attack enemies.
Price: 50 View attachment 63881

This would be an upgraded Magnet Sphere.

The last weapon for now. I might add one for expert, but I can't think of a name for it.

•Icy Blast
90 magic damage
Slow Speed
Strong Knockback
Tooltip: Summons an Icy Blast to destroy your enemies.
Uses 25 mana
Price 67 View attachment 63881

This would use the cultist's Icy Blast spell and give it to terrarians.

Then for a pet summoning item:
•Ghostly Lantern:
Equipable
Tooltip: Summons a baby Phantasm Dragon
Price: 1 View attachment 63891 (Platinum)

Because who wouldn't wan't one? The buff would look like the stardust dragon, only ghostly white. This would only be sold on full moons.

And that would be it for the items he sells.
Now for his attack:
The cultist would have a similar attack to the wizard, only it would be more powerful and homing.

Then we've got the NPC dialogue:

•In my spare time I mastered some of the Leader's spells. Why don't you buy some from me?
•Thank you for helping me escape! Not much better here, but its still better! (The first week he is present)
•I would compliment your looks... if I could see you.
•When I was back at the dungeon, I forgot I had legs. Good thing I can sit in chairs now.
•Good Lord, what have you done? The impending doom will kill us all! (If celestial event is present)
•Whenever I go see [Name of Clothier] he always glares at me. I don't know what I did wrong. (If clothier is present)
•Ah! Sorry, I didn't realize it was you. I thought they came back to get me. (When you are wearing a cultist robe)
•[Name of Stylist] always comes over here and tries to do my hair. Little does she know I have none. (If stylist is present)
•Zombie Apocalypse you say? You're lucky you aren't fighting my brethren. (On a Blood Moon)
•Funny how the moon may rise the next night, even though its out right now. (On a Solar Eclipse)

I don't know what his names would be, but I think they would be names of greek philosophers.

Leave feedback and suggestions below to see how we could make this better.
I like it and all but my suggestion is... CULTIST MINIONS! They do 50 summon damage and take up 20 mana to spawn each one(or more). The sell price will be 75 gold. Be aware this is to help for the lunar event. There will be three different types. One is a cultist with flaming eyes and a molten looking robe. It will shoot bolts of fire and will take 3 seconds to reload. Next is a ice type which will have a icy snow like robe. He will shoot 10 ice spikes(like the blizzard) and will take 5 seconds to reload. Finally it is the lightning version. It will have a lightning blue robe with sparks shooting out of it. It will shoot 4 rods of lightning that each pierces 10 enemys and takes five seconds to reload. I dont know if its to op but let me know what you think

Please no more RNG :(

I agree. This is why I wanted the NPC in the first place.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437299394,1437299240][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like it and all but my suggestion is... CULTIST MINIONS! They do 50 summon damage and take up 20 mana to spawn each one(or more). The sell price will be 75 gold. Be aware this is to help for the lunar event. There will be three different types. One is a cultist with flaming eyes and a molten looking robe. It will shoot bolts of fire and will take 3 seconds to reload. Next is a ice type which will have a icy snow like robe. He will shoot 10 ice spikes(like the blizzard) and will take 5 seconds to reload. Finally it is the lightning version. It will have a lightning blue robe with sparks shooting out of it. It will shoot 4 rods of lightning that each pierces 10 enemys and takes five seconds to reload. I dont know if its to op but let me know what you think

I like the idea, and I appreciate the support, but I am mainly trying to find things that correspond to some of the... wait, nvm
TEWAWIA CULT.jpg

Back
Top Bottom