Turbo Truffle Worm Farm - Vertical, Hoik Engine Powered (+ Spawn Area Tutorial)

So since the 1.3 we got new npc that randomly spawns underground, he keeps spawning in my farm, turning it off, any idea how to solve that issue?

So since the 1.3 we got new npc that randomly spawns underground, he keeps spawning in my farm, turning it off, any idea how to solve that issue?

Yeah the Skeleton NPC now affects pretty much all the underground farms. However, I'm curious how he's shutting the farm off? I thought he would just die to the traps just like any other mob that spawns.

Yeah the Skeleton NPC now affects pretty much all the underground farms. However, I'm curious how he's shutting the farm off? I thought he would just die to the traps just like any other mob that spawns.

I havent put the traps yet, though. I used minions for a little bit instead (with quite a success, 5 plat in half hour on expert and 10 truffle worms) but i had to turn bottom layer off and on every time he spawned. Thankfully i just beat the plantera so i hope to get enough traps to finish the farm

It is as if he has max HP and Defense so killing him is an unlikely solution.

Maybe a way to drop em into hell every so often, or hoik em out or teleport em out if possible.

Just re-tested the farm for an hour and added the following information to guide...
1.3.0.5 UPDATE NOTES!:
  • Truffle Worms can now be killed by other mobs (previously immune). So output has been roughly halved to ~192 T-worms/hour (60 minute test).
  • Flame trap cooldown time increased from 3s to 3.33s, so firing pattern is now spread out over 4 seconds (instead of 3s). This doesn't affect things much, just stagger the starting times a little more, to even it out, or add a 4th timer and 4th circuit if you are keen on continuous flame action.
  • Skeleton Merchant will spawn periodically, bringing little white bunnies in place of monster spawns, but he should get burned up quickly.
  • On the plus side, truffle worms now sell for 10 gold each. So as a money farm you can make about 19 platinum/hour from T-worms, 3.5P/h in coins, 1.5P/h selling other item drops. So ~24 platinum per hour total. All items from the 1 hour test: 107 glowing blue snails, 38 (regular) snails, 2 jungle key moulds, 6 mechanical boss summons, 18 red husks, 1 metal detector, etc...
    index.php
  • Note: no banners, may mean they no longer drop from trap damage alone. Could try mixing in a few (flying) minions (provided they don't seem to kill the worms too).

Just re-tested the farm for an hour and added the following information to guide...
In 1.2.4.1 the truffle worm cap is 343 per hour (taking the best spawn rate and the ideal condition, the mushroom creature have 2/3 chance to spawn, and the truffle worm is 1/7 in the 2/3 chance, so 3600*(2/3)*(1/7) = 343 per hour) It seems like you have achieved that readily.
But in 1.3 it is 480 because the truffle worm has more chance to spawn( (2/3) * (1/5) ). So ~192 per hour means the death rate of the worm have increased to more than 50%. Are there any good ways to increase the worms' chance of living?
By the way how did you see the little white bunnies as they are size-2 entities which can not be hoiked in your turbo machine..... I saw the merchant bringing bunnies(not in such a truffle worm farm, but it is turbo) when I closed the traps and walked out into the pits. I really want to know how you achieved that.

But in 1.3 it is 480 because the truffle worm has more chance to spawn( (2/3) * (1/5) ).
Oh right, that's interesting. Did you dig that out of the code yourself? It would make sense that they'd boost the number spawning to compensate a little for extra collateral.
Are there any good ways to increase the worms' chance of living?
I thought about perforating the upper spawn surface so they could get down below more quickly, out of the way, but I think that will break the size 1 hoik (IIRC); it's needs to be seamless, I think. Other than that one might do a major re-design, make the spawn surface far wider, so less chance of overlap. Change the actuation timing to give the worms chance to horizontal hoik (or make it hoik-less). I'm wondering how DicemanX's earlier farm (using dart traps) will fair in comparison...
how did you see the little white bunnies
With 1920 * 1200 resolution monitor, they are just visible at the bottom, kind of cheaty, right?

Did you dig that out of the code yourself?
Yes so I should say that is only my interpretation on the section of the code. Maybe it should be verified by more members who have access to the code. For example, you?

With 1920 * 1200 resolution monitor, they are just visible at the bottom, kind of cheaty, right?
Yes because I was thinking about making the mob pit deeper and deeper(mobs will spawn 120-140 tiles below, actually, although they are out of the Nimbus Rod's range. But it shouldn't be much deeper because they will despawn immediately) to avoid the giant fungi bulb or similar mobs (Clinger, Angry Trapper, Snatcher, and Man Eater) because their head point towards me and just ran out of the pit wall and into the hoiking tunnel for your truffle worms. (Hoiking tunnel should be safe zone if you want to catch truffle worms, right?)
And if you can tell me how to deal with such an annoying type of enemies, especially in expert mode, I may be able to make the enemies pit a bit shallower, shallow enough to be seen at 1920*1200 although my monitor may be unable to process this resolution.
==
@ZeroGravitas Another question although off this topic: Have you really achieved more than 4 pumpkins per swing using the Horseman's Blade? And more questions in the post although it is an old post. http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...horsemans-blade-arena.5721/page-3#post-636994

Maybe it should be verified by more members who have access to the code.
Or maybe drop it in T-MEC's Q&A thread, got a few people there more likely to be able to code dig at any given time than me.
how to deal with such an annoying type of enemies, especially in expert mode
No idea (on new enemies, etc), sorry.
Have you really achieved more than 4 pumpkins per swing using the Horseman's Blade?
I've no idea, I'd guess no one has, since last talk I heard was that 6 mob statues would still be more than sufficient to provide fodder for the arena, in place of the previous 2 @DicemanX had (when each could produce far more spawns/s). If you're interested in trying out that complex hoik loop setup I idly suggested, I'd be pretty interested in the result (as would others, I imagine). The sword collision code is notoriously opaque.

[Edit: although I see now that perhaps you have a better handle on reading the source than perhaps others have had... I don't know.]

I want to see how you handle
They've only ever poked their heads in a little, and then died to flame trap damage, for me. Don't know if their expert mode behaviour is modified...? You could change that part of the spawn surface (a few blocks on the far right) to be non-mushroom grass, to avoid spawning the bulbs rooted too close to the hoik-lift (at too shallow an angle, whatever)...

Verified working on console (XBOX ONE). Skeleton engine APPEARS to be visually slower that PC. (gauged by watching items traveling the UP HOIK) Caught truffle worm no prob. Spawn rate currently far lacking.
-BUT- Still need to hammer out background tiles and add water candle.

EDIT:
Post additions of lava floor, hammer out walls, add water candle.

Spawn rate of truffle worm appears to be about the same as PC.
Visual slowness noticed seems to be negligible.
SUCCESS!!

Last edited:
Mine's working pretty good as well (360). I still have some ways to go blocking unwanted spawns (I decided to fill in cavities) but I already get avg 29.6 worms/night (~198 worms/hour).

This design was pretty easy and fun to build, so Thank You! :)

Attachments

• Farm1.jpg
    Farm1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 448
  • Farm2.jpg
    Farm2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 342
  • Farm3.jpg
    Farm3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 374
I still have some ways to go blocking unwanted spawns (I decided to fill in cavities)
Having same issue, mobs seem to be spawning on top of and below my spawn block box even though they should be outside the spawn area, however if i stay on my stance position it backs off a bit, still get about 20 worms ~3 mins

So, so happy!

UPDATE: Pretty picture and DVR from XBOX ONE!
NICE! :D

Some updated numbers on my farm; After blocking all unwanted spawns, I now get avg 42.2 worms/night (~281 worms/hour). But the area around the farm is hallowed. How much does that affect things? I decided to find out.

After purifying the area around the farm with the Cleantaminator I now get avg 51 worms/night (~340 worms/hour)! :happy:

So don't build truffle worm farms in the hallow if you can avoid it.

Attachments

• Farm3hallowed.jpg
    Farm3hallowed.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 266
  • Farm3purified.jpg
    Farm3purified.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 308
NICE! :D

Some updated numbers on my farm; After blocking all unwanted spawns, I now get avg 42.2 worms/night (~281 worms/hour). But the area around the farm is hallowed. How much does that affect things? I decided to find out.

After purifying the area around the farm with the Cleantaminator I now get avg 51 worms/night (~340 worms/hour)! :happy:

So don't build truffle worm farms in the hallow if you can avoid it.
THAT is MAAAAAAD Cash!

You should have all of the Duke's drops in no time! ~:D

I have an idea as a combo idea of Vertical and Horizontal. Why not make it a completely new idea that combines both? Dart traps to keep the truffle worms safe, while also having the truffle worms be falling into small pockets in the ground, then moved by a hoik belt, and going up into the area of the player? Complete genius that doesn't require the deaths of many truffle worms in 1.3, and a more safe way to get the worms at the same time.

keep the truffle worms safe, while also having the truffle worms be falling into small pockets in the ground, then moved by a hoik belt, and going up into the area of the player?
Certainly there's a fair few different possible ways to go about 'rescuing' these little critters. I think I tried dropping them through little holes in the spawn surface to start with, but couldn't make it work... @DicemanX has refined the worm hoik idea even further, with the design process shown progressing through his T-MEC thread: "Truffle Worm Autofarm v2.0 (vastly improved in 1.3 Expert Mode)". He teleports all the aggressive mobs straight out of there before they can do too much harm. His final design looks a little like this:
105600_screenshots_2015-11-27_00002crop.jpg

The up-hoik for the worms seems far better too! ;)

Back
Top Bottom