Game Mechanics What Happened To Being Melee? (Read OP, Under Revisionary Scrutiny)

Percentage of your interest in this being expanded upon in later patches?

• Total voters
The part with Melee barely being a actual melee set, I agree with. But it's just too hard to change to whats been added, unfortunately.

The part with Melee barely being a actual melee set, I agree with. But it's just too hard to change to whats been added, unfortunately.
How so? If a new set of weapons are added that function differently then wouldn't the only thing that's subject to change be the new content? The addition of yoyos wasn't a difficult process. They are like flails but function subtly different to them, these swords could also potentially use existing mechanics like the Rod of Discord's teleport and supplying a custom stacking buff/debuff to vary them up and make them more useful.

i simply don't agree with your point, Mute. Coding blocking into the game would take a hell of a lot of coding.
Ah, finally; something I can take legitimately. Well alright, if you think that's a problem then please explain how it's hard to work it in as a form of bonus defence much like the Dryad's Blessing buff? As far as I'm aware creating a buff and setting it's parameters isn't that difficult.

Simply having a different opinion is all well but that's of little consequence when it comes to majority opinion. There's potentially more people that would want this. Hypothetically if this or something like it is added in future you'd lose out on nothing and others would have gained something.

Last edited:
How so? If a new set of weapons are added that function differently then wouldn't the only thing that's subject to change be the new content? The addition of yoyos wasn't a difficult process. They are like flails but function subtly different to them, these swords could also potentially use existing mechanics like the Rod of Discord's teleport and supplying a custom stacking buff/debuff to vary them up and make them more useful.
Coding and adding is the simple part. But acceptance from the community would be hard for the team. It would cause many problems like the Phantasm Omega Nerf.
They wouldn't be able to change current melee mechanics because of this.

acceptance from the community would be hard for the team. It would cause many problems like the Phantasm Omega Nerf.
This is part of the reason for starting a thread in the first place; to see how popular this could be with regular players. I've completed the game a few time, I don't agree with how everything is balanced but even if I dislike something there's currently nothing I'd take out of the game. I mean I don't use yoyos but if a while back someone asked if I'd be bother about their addition I wouldn't of told them no. I am however a little bothered by how the Star Wrath works and I haven't used it in multiplayer. If I had an alternative melee weapon for that DPS & AOE then I'd probably try to use it instead. The way I see it is there are two ways to go about this; one is to nerf the Star Wrath so it feels more satisfying to my and other people's taste or two; get some alternative weapon choices.

There are plenty of upgrades one can make through out the game but that's not as true with side-grades. Same feelings with items from the Celestial Event.

Last edited:
Always thought that melee should be much higher mobility than other classes to compensate for close range.

The funny thing is all melee players use their mobility to run away and shoot an enemy :dryadnaughty:

These points exactly, but I'd like to reword them in my own version:
Firstly the mobility that melee get is running speed which I personally found useless after a while because you're either undergound/in dungeons when you need it and above gound the floor's so uneven there's no point trying unless you build your own straight for every you will be and as for once you enter hard mode you get wings. Why would you ever need running speed post that point? Whenever I really want to move fast I just make a lot of Asphalt which makes even default running speed fast enough. I've never got times to appreciate running speed for long because by the time I reach the next tier it's no longer useful. Hermes boots - great, post that - never walk anywhere ever again.

I'm one of those wings over UFO mount people by the way. Every fraction more of speed I can get is better.

And yes; melee has no reason not to run from everything showering them with all sorts of limitless projectiles.

What melee could do with is an option to dodge in tight spaces, not just out in the open, and when you can't; block at a cost of mana. I just really like it and think most people would too.

Last edited:
By the way I haven't received any advise or comments about changing the opening post. If I was an optimist I'd assume because there's nothing wrong with it, however I'll just go with it's because it's that bad.

... TELL ME WHY?

Misconceptions seem to be happening, I can assist with them as they happen but I'd appreciate it if you could point out their origin.

Ok, well I seem to think blocking is a great idea. But like you (or someone else) mentioned earlier, once you get to hard mode, Ranged Melee weapons appear, and I feel like most people would choose the 'run and shoot' strategy rather than choose blocking (which I believe is quite awesome). It's almost too late to implement it. I for one would love blocking as a mechanic, but most others wouldn't bother.

Ok, well I seem to think blocking is a great idea. But like you (or someone else) mentioned earlier, once you get to hard mode, Ranged Melee weapons appear, and I feel like most people would choose the 'run and shoot' strategy rather than choose blocking (which I believe is quite awesome). It's almost too late to implement it. I for one would love blocking as a mechanic, but most others wouldn't bother.

Well that's what's balancing is for, to make everything relative. If ranged melee is easier to use then this could carry a small bonus damage over its competitors? I don't think it really needs anything over weapons in the same tier other than bigger criticals or maybe most of these weapons carrying interesting effects on their attacks.

Are there any additions you'd personally like to see from something like this?

Last edited:
Well that's what's balancing is for, to make everything relative. If ranged melee is easier to use then this could carry a small bonus damage over it's competitors? I don't think it really needs anything over weapons in the same tier other than bigger criticals or maybe most carrying interesting effects on their attacks.

Are there any additions you'd personally like to see from something like this?
I'm not really sure, I do like your ideas though

####ing wow...

So more people apparently have huge issues with this than I thought according to the poll. Is this exactly how they'd react to being told yoyos are were being introduced? Do all these non-commenting people also hate the fact yoyos are now in the game?

Please do not vote that you have a problem unless you've made a comment beforehand. These thread is subject to change. it's meant to be a constructive discusstion about what could possibly be added to help those who aren't satified with melee's current quoter of exacution.

These are feeling less like swords and more like mana-free magic staffs.

Completely agree on this, i always hated Terra Blade for being ugly and acting more like a rifle then a Sword
Although some swords "magic-effects" are really cool, like Meowmere It's funny spam rainbow-exploding-cats Some Swords have an effect that don't make it a staff, like Horseman's Blade, it's a big-:red: sword that if you actually hit something you call tons of Pumpkins to do extra damage, but swords like Terra Blade are more like rifles, you don't use the blade, you use the projectile, wrong class, mate.

I think the best solution would be stuff like Solar Eruption, Breaker Blade and Horseman's Blade, they are swords that you actually need to use them, not just shoot random stuff on the whole screen *cof* starwrath *cof*

Last edited:
Completely agree on this, i always hated Terra Blade for being ugly and acting more like a rifle then a Sword
Although some swords "magic-effects" are really cool, like Meowmere It's funny spam rainbow-exploding-cats Some Swords have an effect that don't make it a staff, like Horseman's Blade, it's a big-:red: sword that if you actually hit something you call tons of Pumpkins to do extra damage, but swords like Terra Blade are more like rifles, you don't use the blade, you use the projectile, wrong class, mate.

I think the best solution would be stuff like Solar Eruption, Breaker Blade and Horseman's Blade, they are swords that you actually need to use them, not just shoot random stuff on the whole screen
*cof* starwrath *cof*

Glad to see others agreeing after so many people being hateful towards this thread, and though more weapons of what we've had could be a solution; new weapons are a more exciting one?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, dind't explained it right there
I think a General-Revamp should do the trick
Like instead of Terrablade just Spam a wall of Beam-swords it would summon the swords from sky when hit the enemy, this would expand his DPS and actually make it an enchanted-sword

And yes, as the Terraria community is lazy and want more OP stuff, i not surprised that no one approved the idea

I think a General-Revamp should do the trick
Would you prefer that over a missed oppotunity to have a second coming like when we recieved yoyos in the game?

I like their addition and I wouldn't change them, it's just they weren't means of melee really changing their play style a whole lot. It's still optimal to remain as distance as you can be whilst holding them near or at the edge of your screen.

The thing with weapons like Horseman's Blade is that you can't avoid damage easily whilst attacking with it, it limits you to have the best defence you can or risk taking too much damage no matter how good you are. Solar Eruption and similar flails solve that problem but at that point you become more ranged than melee again. Why bother hitting them point blank when you could just use the tip of the flail?

I like to think it's mostly universal that people would like to see something more exciting and engaging from melee combat and since it's asking for new weapons anyway why not add new combat mechanics with it? There's probably existing coding in the game that could be adapted for this (at least that's my hope).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom