What Biome do you think needs the most love?

What (mini)biome needs some love

• Forest and normal Cavern

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Jungle and Underground Jungle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Snow and Underground Snow

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Desert and Underground Desert

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • Crimson and Underground Crimson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Hallow and Underground Hallow

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Corruption and Underground Corruption

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Ocean

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Underworld

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Dungeon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Floating Island

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • Jungle Temple

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Spider Nest

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Marble Cave

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Granite Cave

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Meteorite (I guess? It spawns unique enemies)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Arby's and Underground Arby's

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Mushroom Biome

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
I voted for the ocean. It feels really small, given that it is supposed to be a large body of water. I am one of the people who would be all for a connected world that doesn't have an edge, and I feel that having a truly massive body of water that goes from one end to the other would be fantastic, especially if there were randomly generated mini-islands along the way, a place that feels remote and detached from the rest of the world. It would just be cool if the ocean sank down all the way to the cavern layer. Then we could truly call it the ocean!

(Though as a side-note, we really should get a hallow boss I think)
And The music is amazing!

Forest and normal cavern. The game sets up this Hallow/Corruption/Crimson thing with purification powder, the Clentaminator, the Dryad's status updates and all that, but within what little narrative exists in Terraria, it's pointless. There's basically no reason for me to give a rat's excretion tube about the 'purity'. There's no reward for beating back the dangerous realms of the Hallow and Corruption/Crimson. Frankly, you're rewarded more by the game for overrunning the entire world with BOTH so you can conveniently keep access to everything you need with no drawbacks at all. The NPC's will even happily live in the Hallow, so the gameplay conceit of keeping the area around them livable becomes a sixty second operation of slinging some holy water about the place because the Hallow is an impenetrable wall.

Terraria: Otherworld operates from the assumption that the player in Terraria fails in their mission....the funny part is that because of how we play Terraria, that's actually the grim truth of like....practically everyone's world. We never restore the purity.....why would we? The hilarity isn't that we 'fail' in being unable to defeat the Moon Lord, it's that we basically just usurp the Hallow and Corruption/Crimson for our own purposes instead of ever purifying anything. Terraria 1 usually isn't the story of a conquering hero, it's the story of the rise of a supremely powerful mad monarch who spreads forth the terrifying realms of Hallow and Corruption because they fuel his/her power. You just think you're the hero.

Think about it....the world you're dropped into when starting Terraria is actually balanced. If you leave it alone, nothing happens. It's fine. Everything you do constantly releases horrors and makes things worse. When you start consuming life crystals to empower yourself (yeah, that sounds more messed up now, huh?) it reaches a point where a giant freaking eyeball tries to hunt you down and stop you at night. When you breach a slumbering Corruption/Crimson and smash open the receptacles of power you find in your greed for the power within, another massive beast shudders into life and tries to stop you. A cursed man exists to stop you breaching the EVIL DUNGEON, and you slaughter his powerful keeper so you can plunder it! You unleash and massively empower the Hallow and Corruption, you kill three further guardians who seek to stop your relentless quest for personal empowerment, you slaughter every invasion that tries to stop you.....did you ever notice that when you kill the 'lunatic' cultist things actually go to hell? A group of guys are standing around performing a magical ceremony and as long as they're doing that, nothing happens. Then you KILL them, shatter their ceremony, and INCARNATIONS OF UNIVERSAL POWER TRY TO STOP YOU. They fail, the Moon Lord finally tries to stop you, HE fails, and all that's left is the cackling psychotic that walked into a forbidden land on a quest for personal glory, hovering above the shattered hellscape that is his or her domain.

Terraria isn't 2D Minecraft, it's 2D Shadow of the Colossus, and you're not a hero.

:p

Though I see where you're going with this, that isn't quite right. Ever noticed how Terraria is oddly similar to Terrarium? Ever noticed you can't escape the world? Yep. It's not about a rising psychotic monarch, it's about an innocent person doing whatever they can to escape. They fail, and are trapped for eternity in such a cage. (and Omnir's to blame)

Though I see where you're going with this, that isn't quite right. Ever noticed how Terraria is oddly similar to Terrarium? Ever noticed you can't escape the world? Yep. It's not about a rising psychotic monarch, it's about an innocent person doing whatever they can to escape. They fail, and are trapped for eternity in such a cage. (and Omnir's to blame)
Omnir?

Also, you can change worlds whenever you want -_-

(blame omnir)
There's no explanation for that, even with your theory, so what's the point? If it's like you said, do they just... materialize somewhere else?
More importantly, with your theory, how do people get in?
Those NPCs need to come from somewhere, as do the invading armies....

The Hallow is kinda lack-luster, IMO.

It doesn't have a boss, and other than some palette swaps and crystal shards, there isn't much IN the Hallow, esp once you get yourself the items to make the Ankh Charm, there's really no need to go back to, or preserve, any Hallow in your world.

Now others have mentioned the Ocean, and I agree there, but at least the Ocean has a boss, even though you've very little room to actually fight him in and he's easily skippable now.

The underground desert... is huge, but there's nothing you even get out of there 'cept the Fossils and the mid-Easymode armor you make from them and some other throwing weapons.

It takes up such a large portion of the map, but yet... there's no unique loot that I'm aware of. It seems like Pre-1.2 Snow Biomes -- huge amount of space taken up, nothing really "in" it 'cept for some new (and arguably overpowered for the time you encounter them) enemies.

It seems like the underground desert is purely there to take up space and make things even MORE cramped, as I regularly see worlds with very little center forest, I almost always start right up next to snow or Corruption/Crimson, or both. Even on a Large World I made, the Jungle was almost up against the center spawn point where I was hearing Jungle Music while exploring caves right near the starting location.

EDIT: Just checked the wiki and yup. Other than the fossils, terrain, and new enemies... there's not really much of anything new to the underground desert biome whatsoever. It just.... takes up space on a world.

It doesn't have a boss, and other than some palette swaps and crystal shards, there isn't much IN the Hallow, esp once you get yourself the items to make the Ankh Charm, there's really no need to go back to, or preserve, any Hallow in your world.
But the Crystal Bullets! Holy Arrows! Rod of Discord! Daedalus Stormbow! Blessed Apple!
But yeah, Hallow needs more stuff. Being shiny and giving you shiny things only goes so far.

But the Crystal Bullets! Holy Arrows! Rod of Discord! Daedalus Stormbow! Blessed Apple!
But yeah, Hallow needs more stuff. Being shiny and giving you shiny things only goes so far.

Well, once you've gotten your fill of crystal shards and dust (you can keep a small farm for this kinda stuff), you don't really need any Hallow in your world other than a farm big enough to produce this kinda stuff. Just one Pearlstone-lined cave (for crystal shards) that won't spread will do. Otherwise, the rest of the world could be pure and one wouldn't care, lol.

I guess I would go with Mushroom biome.
Maybe it's the fact the glowing mushrooms have a crucial part of advancing in the game, or the fact that they're so beautiful.
Oddly enough I feel rather intrigued by its nocturnal environment, which reminds me all those beautiful times when I went for a walk under a starry night sky.
Also, I can't confirm this rumor, but wasn't the Mushroom biome @Redigit 's favorite or something?
Well, either way, I love the biome, because of its beauty.

I guess I would go with Mushroom biome.
Maybe it's the fact the glowing mushrooms have a crucial part of advancing in the game, or the fact that they're so beautiful.
Oddly enough I feel rather intrigued by its nocturnal environment, which reminds me all those beautiful times when I went for a walk under a starry night sky.
Also, I can't confirm this rumor, but wasn't the Mushroom biome @Redigit 's favorite or something?
Well, either way, I love the biome, because of its beauty.

Eh, you do realize that the Thread Title is "Which biome do you think needs the most love", right?

As in "Which Biome needs more content most?".

Eh, you do realize that the Thread Title is "Which biome do you think needs the most love", right?

As in "Which Biome needs more content most?".

You would think people could read the second sentence of the post...

But I agree with your opinions on the Hallow and underground desert. I would honestly like both biomes to have a boss or miniboss.

Underground desert really needs some more drops from the unique enemies in hardmode. Still I wonder why the big scorpions don't inflict poison and the basilisks don't petrify you.

I personally really think the Underworld needs more Hardmode love

ALso I enjoy the fact I start a thread on biomes and there is a conversation on the "story" of Terraria :p

The desert update was awesome, but every time I see that big opening I think of what made it. An Antlion queen/king would be great.

But I'm down for the sky being updated. A sky NPC like a non-lethal harpy would be neat. Space could be expanded, too. Not like whole planets but maybe a mini "asteroid belt" or something where you can find satillites and stuff would be neat.

But the ocean is pretty useless other than water chests and whatnot. I'd like for it to be a whole biome and then it loops into the other side of your world. It could have water-bound enemies that are like wyverns but they are leviathans. You could make/find a submarine mount to explore with that has a light on it....

But the ocean is pretty useless other than water chests and whatnot. I'd like for it to be a whole biome and then it loops into the other side of your world. It could have water-bound enemies that are like wyverns but they are leviathans. You could make/find a submarine mount to explore with that has a light on it....

You know what could make this even better? Ocean dungeon. Need to kill Fishron to gain access (like with Plantera and the Temple). Do it, devs.
(Of course, we're going to have to think of a way to make it very different from Minecraft's ocean temples, and not invoke Cthulhu imagery. Hey, let's go with Fishron-men living at the sunken remains of Atlantas!)

You know what could make this even better? Ocean dungeon. Need to kill Fishron to gain access (like with Plantera and the Temple). Do it, devs.
(Of course, we're going to have to think of a way to make it very different from Minecraft's ocean temples, and not invoke Cthulhu imagery. Hey, let's go with Fishron-men living at the sunken remains of Atlantas!)
How about Merfolk and Fishron men? I do think there should be some Cthulhu hints, but not a major presence. It would be cool to see a Merfolk riding a Sharkron into battle :p

Underground desert. There simply isn't much of a reason to go there as of now. But I have an idea.

Why not make the alt ores superior again and make them only spawn in the underground desert? That'd justify the OP-in-early-game enemies.

Hell, do the same to the hardmode alt ores and buff the existing hardmode enemies there if you have to.

liek, basically selecting one is supes hard. I picked sky bcuz :red: it but srs hallow needs more so does ocean also it'd be cool if gem caves had gem-studded chests with some unique items and mossy stone had more use, especially with the super awesome lava moss that got added.

THE JUNGLE NEEDS MORE BOSSES!...now that I got your attention, I think desert needs a bit nore love, I really like the changes on it in 1.3 and I like when it gets corrupted there are some changes in it too (Lamias, Mummies, Desert Spirit) but there's no much need to go there, specially in Hardmode. so I insist, instead of a lizhard temple in Jungle it should have been a Pyramid and instead a Golem it should have been a Big Pharaoh Statue or a Pharaoh Sarcophagus like boss, but since that's not going to happen maybe adding a Djinn Boss.

The hallow for certain!

Wow, what a necropost! Still, though, I think the thread is rather relevant so it's ok.

The Hallow, at least the surface hallow, does indeed seem... ... .. hollow. lol. Sorry, couldn't resist. There's not much to actually do, other than kill pixies and mummies for Ankh Shield items. Underground Hallow has a bit more, with the crystal shards, the mimics, etc so it isn't too bad.

What we need, however, is a Hallow Boss. We have The Eye, the Brain, the Eater, and mech versions of the Eye/Eater. There are no Hallow bosses, however and there's nothing even close that you could consider to be a Hallow Boss.

Surprised I never saw this thread before until now. Thank you for resurrecting this thread Pearlie Hallow.

I think the Marble Biome, Floating Islands Hallow (mainly surface) could use more features. Hallow because of what Xylia said:

The Hallow, at least the surface hallow, does indeed seem... ... .. hollow. lol. Sorry, couldn't resist. There's not much to actually do, other than kill pixies and mummies for Ankh Shield items. Underground Hallow has a bit more, with the crystal shards, the mimics, etc so it isn't too bad.

What we need, however, is a Hallow Boss. We have The Eye, the Brain, the Eater, and mech versions of the Eye/Eater. There are no Hallow bosses, however and there's nothing even close that you could consider to be a Hallow Boss.

And Marble because there's only 2 Enemies there. One which is almost universally hated by every player making it unpleasant to explore, and Marble blocks aren't renewable like Granite Blocks are. Perhaps adding 1 or 2 more Greek related enemies with unique new items or special items in Marble House Chests could make the Marble more fun to Explore. Along with possibly having Granite/Marble Biomes spawn bigger than current on Medium/Large Maps.

There are other Biomes like the Ocean, Floating Islands, and Underworld which I also think could use more features though how I think they can be improved has been suggested in many other threads by others and myself a lot so I won't go into those here.

Back
Top Bottom