Tedit Creation: Tree of life

RainDreamer

Terrarian
Ever want to pimp up your spawn point? Well, I am here to help you with that.:dryadwink:
Introducing, tree of life v.2 and v.1:
index.php

Both of these trees are intended to be the spawn points for new players, and a place of refuge for their first nights. They have nothing functionally, except for light, space, and some tools (living loom, living wood + leaf wands) for players to build things themselves using the tree as the base and furnish it however they like. What they do have though, is the blessing of the goddess Terra, in the form of a gigantic statue of my own RainDreamer™ :dryadcool: design implemented in the build. There is also a background story that I wrote to go with it, which would explain who Terra is, for those who are interested. Note that you can role play with your own story if you want to, however, just like how you can transform the tree however you like to fit with your play style.

For those who prefer form over function like me, I hope this would satisfy you.

Now, moving on further details about each trees, and the download links to the schematic files (TEdit is required to put them to your world):

The first tree made, and the starter of this thread.
DOWNLOAD HERE
Detailed in game view:
Capture 2015-07-13 21_14_54.png
Tree base:
The player will have to punch out a hole somewhere at the bottom to get out of the tree once they get down. The cove underneath can easily be converted to suitable housing, intended for dryad so she can provide that buff to player fighting enemies near the base of the tree. Empty space above are for whatever room the player want to fill in. Can be left empty if wished.
Capture 2015-07-13 21_15_07.png
Tree trunk:
Mid point between left and right branches of the tree. Not much to do here except maybe converting it to a hallway or something.
Capture 2015-07-13 21_15_35.png Capture 2015-07-13 21_16_25.png
Left + right Branches:
These two branches provide extra room for player building and extension later on. They might need to cut some branches and dig some holes, but that will be up to them to find a way to use these space the way they want to.
Capture 2015-07-15 00_45_41.png
Player's spawn point: This is the place player spawn for the first time and see Terra, and the chest will be containing tools to help players create living wood thematic furniture and build. The empty space here can also be converted to anything the player want to if they wish.

An improved version of the previous, this tree has more usable space, more open areas, better connected paths, and more details with Terra in a whole new perspective.
DOWNLOAD HERE
Overview of the tree:
0qTfBGF.jpg

Point of interests:
Untitled.png
Spawn point:
This time the players get to be even more up close and personal with Terra, and the spawn point now finally situated somewhere central to the tree with easy access to left/right branches.
The chest with thematic tool is also here for player to grab. Note that the screenshot differ from the download a bit: the download has the bed replaced with flowers and sun flower (why putting a bed at spawn point anyway?). Also it is important to note that the small tree and the sun flower is placed using TEdit and thus can't be replaced once destroyed in game, unless you TEdit them in again.

Untitled2.png Untitled3.png
Left and right branches:
Enjoy the new open space! Now you can build to your heart's content in your own design of a room instead of having to cut through leaves to make a room. I recommend some tree house designs resting on those smaller branches.

Untitled4.png
Upper exits and tree trunk:

This version of the tree has 2 small exits under the main left and right branches, which is good for players who has already have something to prevent fall damages. For new players though, that is a quick way to get back to spawn. They will still have to get lower down through the center vine ropes. Less usable space down here, and it is all cramped and stuffy. But you can line up all your chests along the way if you like to make it a storage space.

Untitled5.png
Tree base + cave:
Once again, the player will have to dig out from here, though how and which way will be up to them.
The cave has much more expanded space in this version, having a small pond included here. And again, it is designed to be a place where the dryad can live, so that she can bestow her buff when the player fight enemies near the ground. The expanded space also lend it nicely into becoming a small scale herb farm. I always like to have the dryad as my gardener tending my farm and have that small pond over there to water things. Also good to make potions. Can also hang a beehive on one of the extended roots too. But of course, that is just my recommendation. The player can always choose to make this space as their own and use it however they like.

I hope you will like these trees! Please give me feedback and comment in this thread so I can improve my future build.

Last edited:
I'd like to be provided with this, due to my disliking of building and creating a base which will later be dismissed due to different desires or styles of play.

Good news: Update completed, got a download link up for the schematic. (see first post)

Bad news: May or may not work properly due to the experimental nature of the Tedit version I am using. I take no responsibility if something go wrong, use it at your own risk. Back up your world and all that.

So, hopefully this won't be considered a double post, or necro, but I got further update to this:
Currently I am working on an improved version of the Tree of life, and here is a WIP view:
index.php

Now instead of seeing her from the side, she is now facing the screen in an all new perspective! Her foliage (that is what I call her hair) is now going to be incorporated into the tree and makes her looks more like a part of the tree rather than being attached into the tree like in the first version. Also, as a result of that, the tree's foliage is now more detailed with leaves instead of my half-assed "eh, just make some bulbous shapes around the branches" before. Oh and she gets a mouth now.

A few questions for people though:

1. Do you care if I do not give her a leaf bikini to cover her up? She will have barbie anatomy because, well, she is a tree. Though I might just give her one anyway if I think it looks good. Just lacking space at the moment.

2. How is the hair/foliage style? Especially her bang. Should I show more of the sides of her face and her pointy ears, or should I just leave it? *edit* Just tried revealing half her face and ears, as seen in thumbnail in #4, prob would keep that.

3. How much space should this tree take? At the moment, the tree is about 260 x 260 tiles, but I haven't worked on the roots yet, which may add some more total height of the tree.

4. Mouth or no mouth? Can look a bit weird on close up with living wood:
Untitled.png

Last edited:
So, hopefully this won't be considered a double post, or necro, but I got further update to this:
Currently I am working on an improved version of the Tree of life, and here is a WIP view:
View attachment 67275
Edit: after posting this I noticed her eyes are a little close to each others. Have moved them apart now so it doesn't look weird.

Now instead of seeing her from the side, she is now facing the screen in an all new perspective! Her foliage (that is what I call her hair) is now going to be incorporated into the tree and makes her looks more like a part of the tree rather than being attached into the tree like in the first version. Also, as a result of that, the tree's foliage is now more detailed with leaves instead of my half-assed "eh, just make some bulbous shapes around the branches" before. Oh and she gets a mouth now.

1. Do you care if I do not give her a leaf bikini to cover her up? She will have barbie anatomy because, well, she is a tree. Though I might just give her one anyway if I think it looks good. Just lacking space at the moment.

2. How is the hair/foliage style? Especially her bang. Should I show more of the sides of her face and her pointy ears, or should I just leave it?

3. How much space should this tree take? At the moment, the tree is about 260 x 260 tiles, but I haven't worked on the roots yet, which may add some more total height of the tree.

View attachment 67280
FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP

View attachment 67275
Edit: after posting this I noticed her eyes are a little close to each others. Have moved them apart now so it doesn't look weird.

2. How is the hair/foliage style? Especially her bang. Should I show more of the sides of her face and her pointy ears, or should I just leave it? *edit* Just tried revealing half her face and ears, as seen in thumbnail in #4, prob would keep that.

View attachment 67280
1) If the roots start at the waist then it's better without a bikini. if not, a ragged mini leaf dress would probably look better. Bikinis don't have a shape that matches foliage veri well.
2) The hair looks excellent on the map, though I'm not sure it can be seen in-game. You could make balconies in her hair, though you're going to need a lot of balconies. If you just want it to show on the map somehow then this is good.
3)It seems really nice as it is now, you've hit the right dimensions/
4)You could make a window which would serve as a mouth. That means however the mouth must be large and it doesn't really fit the rest of the character, which is symmetrical aka not crooked, like holes in bark generally are. Overall no mouth.

for #1, here is the total view of the tree currently:
Untitled.png

(will make space for players later, currently testing position and color contrast). She is no where close to being near the root, and the position there prob not going to work for a dress, skirts or that sort. Bikini, or just leaves placing strategically would probably work, if it is really needed. Can also try a twisting tree branch between her legs to cover up if needed, but I would rather avoid that, since there has been too many wood coloured parts around her already. I prefer some contrast with leafy green.

The foliage/hair is not going to be able to be seen fully in game in one screen, though it has uses as meteorite shields, being 1 block thick so the damage can easily be fixed by a player. Can also hide chests up there out of view for protection and still look good on map.

No mouth view does look cleaner, albeit a bit bland:
Untitled2.png

And punching window holes on wall for mouth was a bad idea and I am not going to take pictures. >.>

what about painting the background walls to make the mouth?
or maybe use a different wall all together for it...

This looks incredible! Looking forward to seeing the new version as well, Paladin of Purity approved!

(I like your headcanon as well, its pretty similar to my own, except in mine she uses her Greek name, Gaea, and she's the mother of Cthulhu/The Spirit of Dark and the Sun God/The Spirit of Light as well as being the creator of Terraria)

what about painting the background walls to make the mouth?
or maybe use a different wall all together for it...
Paint doesn't look well on living wood and low light conditions( it will likely be low light because I don't put light all over the place for the sake of lighting. It has to look natural and fit within the game world.)

Walls would probably work if I have more than the 4x3 space I have now. At this size the walls blend weirdly. But I will see what I can do. Maybe with boreal wood or rich mahogany walls. Each of those has a problem of their own though: boreal is smooth, but looks artificial and clear cut, not fitting with the rest. Mahogany texture on the other hand looks too rough.

Edit: noooope. Wall blended in a very awkward way and does not allow any proper shape to form. Either blocks, or nothing.

This looks incredible! Looking forward to seeing the new version as well, Paladin of Purity approved!

(I like your headcanon as well, its pretty similar to my own, except in mine she uses her Greek name, Gaea, and she's the mother of Cthulhu/The Spirit of Dark and the Sun God/The Spirit of Light as well as being the creator of Terraria)

I first thought of her name as Gaia too, but since the game is called Terraria, I thought Terra is more fitting.

Last edited:
Smiley face!
Untitled2.png
Frowny face!
Untitled3.png

Interesting how 2 pixels moved around can change expression so dramatically. The wonders of pixel arts. Oh and Terra changed her lipstick. Now it matches with her eyeliners. Looks less awkward on close up. But a neutral expression is difficult to do without resorting to a flat line, which...doesn't look that nice comparing to the formation I already have...maybe no mouth is better?

Anyway, I did some colouring today:
Untitled.png

Leaf bikini still on hold because it is hard. Might have to use her hair to weave around from her back and front to cover the right area and still accentuate the curves.

That is it for now. I have to beat Plantera on Expert, and it is so difficult!

Last edited:
I really like this idea. I'm just a console player browsing, but I was wondering. During your concept work did you have any images with her limbs entirely incorporated? Such as her feet on the ground and her arms fully extended? Reversing the roles sort of, as in her standing upon the land and the tree forming around her as a sort of protective shield, or maybe just further extensions of her body. Just an idea.

EDIT: Having thick roots that pierce below the soil and perhaps a few that break the surface could be a nice touch as well.

I really like this idea. I'm just a console player browsing, but I was wondering. During your concept work did you have any images with her limbs entirely incorporated? Such as her feet on the ground and her arms fully extended? Reversing the roles sort of, as in her standing upon the land and the tree forming around her as a sort of protective shield, or maybe just further extensions of her body. Just an idea.

EDIT: Having thick roots that pierce below the soil and perhaps a few that break the surface could be a nice touch as well.

There were several test concepts, one of which was of her in a crucified position and her arms were the tree branches extended up. But that position made it seems like she is being punished/cursed rather than just a benevolent part of the tree, and doesn't allow for hair/foliage combo for proper tree shape. There was also an idea of her being a center tree in a 3 trees formations with 2 other trees joined up, though that takes way more space than I am comfortable with.

The roots part are coming up once I am done with the top. And yes, there will be roots that break the surfaces, as I intended some of the gap between dirt/roots as player's farm/critter zoo/etc. on a small scale.

---------------------------
*unrelated edit because I don't want to double post*
Today I just made various combination of leaves from her foliage to cover her chest and see what works.
Untitled.png Untitled2.png Untitled3.png Untitled4.png

Takes a lot of time, way more than I thought I should spend on those areas. Still haven't find the right way to do it. I also tried leaf bikini like what I did for the first version, but it looks strange from the front, and it takes all the curves away. If I can't get it to work, I guess she will just have to go commando for the top. Haven't even worked on the bottom yet..%:sigh:

Also, in case people are wondering what the grassy area is for, that is the player spawn point. The branches on the side will be the player's path out of there once I punch a hole through it.

-------
Bad, bad news: Computer refuse to boot today, and I haven't moved what I had to a cloud storage yet. Progress of the last few days are gone if I couldn't recover my computer.

Last edited:
Ok, got some update for the leaf bikini:
Untitled.png

If you are wondering why her foliage is missing and the backwall colouring is gone, it is because I lost my old file with the old computer drive. It just went kaput. I had to redrew the tree again along with her new hair. Tried to varied her stance and have branches grow from her arm, but ultimately went back to similar old design, because it is the most ergonomical design for players to move about while keeping her form.

Anyway, thought about the spontaneous leaves out of nowhere covering her parts? Keep them, leave them or something else? I can still have her head foliage extend down to her chest and wrap around her hip to cover where it is needed. Or let her be naked if need be.

Last edited:
i dont really know what it is, but her anatomy seems a bit off, also the cut on her arms doesnt look very natural IMO

it sucks to lose data, so sorry for that :(

Back
Top Bottom