PC Empathetic Challenge Run

Do you think this is a good challenge?

• Total voters

Elk

Terrarian
I recently created a little challenge for myself and I had quite a lot of fun with it so I decided to share the idea with the rest of TCF.

The main idea of it is that you're a very empathetic person and can sympathies with literally any living creature be it adorable little bunny or literal hellspawn, therefor you're not allowed to kill any living creature (other than 3 that would be impossible to beat without).

The goal is to beat the Wall of Flesh so you can live with the pixies and unicorns :D

Rules

1. No killing any living creature
You are not allowed to kill any living creature. This includes bosses & critters, the undead, plants and elementals are allowed to be killed.

2. No using any traditional weapons
The idea of using any kind of killing machine disgusts you so you are not allowed to use any traditional weapons. This means no swords, spears, guns, bows, staves, spellbooks, etc.

3. No fishing
This would be killing both the critters you use as bait and the fish you catch.

4. NPC's are allowed to hurt and killing ANY living creatures
After all, you're not the ones killing them.

5. Traps are allowed
You can use traps to kill the specific enemies allowed.

6. If you kill any creature not allowed you have to give up your life
If you kill any creature that's not in the list of allowed enemies by some kind of accident you have to kill yourself at that moment, whether that means loosing all your money, items or the entire run.

This is the list of enemies you are allowed to kill.
All skeletal enemies
35px-Skeleton.png
Skeleton
Undead_Miner.png
Undead Miner
30px-Tim.png
Tim
35px-Undead_Viking.png
Undead Viking
28px-Hoplite.png
Hoplite
Skeletron_Head.png
Skeletron
Angry_Bones_1.png
Angry Bones
25px-Dark_Caster.png
Dark Caster
Cursed_Skull2.png
Cursed Skull
206px-Bone_Serpent.png
Bone Serpent

Technically non-living
Granite_Elemental.png
Granite Elemental
Granite_Golem.png
Granite Golem
Meteor_Head.png
Meteor Head

Plant Enemies
Snatcher.png
Snatcher
Man_Eater.png
Man Eater
Fungi_Bulb.png
Fungi Bulb

Necessities
50px-Voodoo_Demon.png
Voodoo Demon
Wall_of_Flesh.png
Wall of Flesh
Guide.png
Guide
The voodoo demon and WoF are kind of necessary to beating the wall of flesh (surprise surprise) so those are the two exceptions to the rules.
I've not put zombie enemies on the list as I personally feel they're a bit too close to the living, plus that would make it too easy for you guys :dryadtongue:

Here is the list of weapons and damage types allowed.
Platinum_Pickaxe.png
Gold_Axe.png
Platinum_Hammer.png
All picks, axes and hammers excluding battle tools
30px-Sickle.png
Sickle - A grain harvesting tool
Wooden_Yoyo.png
Wooden Yoyo,
Rally.png
Rally
Malaise.png
Maliase
Artery.png
Artery
Valor.png
Valor
Cascade.png
Cascade. Yoyos are and were ORIGINALLY created as toys, although they can and have been used as weapons they were traditionally used as toys
All other yoyos are impossible to obtain witout breaking the other rules.
30px-Staff_of_Regrowth.png
Staff of Regrowth - Its more of a tool
Stylish_Scissors.png
Stylish Scissors - Just don't run with them
Paintball_Gun.png
Paintball Gun - Technically more of a toy than a real weapon. Still can be quite helpful.
Flare_Gun.png
Flare Gun - A tool
Flower_of_Fire.png
Flower of Fire - Its just a flower... right?
Medusa_Head.png
Medusa Head - Could only really be obtained if Medusa fell in lava
Snowball.png
Snowball - In reality more of a fun thing then something to hurt someone with
Snowball_Cannon.png
Snowball Cannon - Good point Yugiohhero
Bone.png
Bone - Other than a Cubone who would even think to throw one of these?
Rotten_Egg.png
Rotten Egg - Sure you're an :red: for egging someones house but its not a weapon.
Bomb.png
Sticky_Bomb.png
Bouncy_Bomb.png
Bombs - A tool for excavation
Dynamite.png
Sticky_Dynamite.png
Bouncy_Dynamite.png
Dynamite - A tool for excavation
Explosives.png
Explosives - A tool for excavation
Dart_Trap.png
Dart Trap - Traps are permitted because its not a weapon you're using
Boulder.png
Boulder - Who doesn't love a bit of Indiana Jones?
Lava_Bucket.png
Lava Bucket - Because who doesn't love burning the dead?
Minecart.png
Minecart Damage - Its not your fault they were in the way
Sand_Block.png
Silt_Block.png
Slush_Block.png
Sand, Silt & Slush - If you're really that desperate for some kind of damage
There were some items that technically could have been allowed although to get them you would have to kill something which is against the rules.

Theres a lot you cant do in this challenge you normally would. You've really got to think in this challenge.
You cant get many types of armour, the best you could have by the end would be platinum, obsidian or necro.
No killing the EoW or BoC means no Shadow or Crimson tools or armour, and nothing out of hellstone either.
You cant kill a goblin army (but maybe your npcs can :dryadnaughty:), so don't meet the requirements to spawn one.
If you come across a dungeon slime, tough luck you gotta let it go.
And there are plenty more things to consider...

I decided to have the challenge end at hardmode because it would just become either incredibly tedious, boring and not fun or have to break several rules to progress

If you think there is an item, enemy or rule that should be on the list or you have any questions about this challenge feel free to tell me.
As always any constructive criticism and feedback is welcome! :dryadgrin:

Last edited:
Oooo!

Few flaws:
Slimes shouldnt count, you just walk up to one, say "WTRL?" (What the Re-Logic) and swat it away.

The corruption is living darkness and disease, so the EoW shouldnt count (But getting the malaise will be HECK!) But this can be easily brushed away as "Balance" between Corruption and Crimson.

Plants ARE the living :3

List the other ones that could be obtained, an Antlion could easily suffocate them, therefore it isnt YOU, or a NPC could get lucky.
Also an idea:
Due to not wanting to kill, you cannot DIRECTLY throw the Guide Voodoo Doll into Lava.
This would be killing the guide, so you must trick Voodoo Demons into dropping it in.

Last edited:
Slimes shouldnt count
I feel like slimes are technically sentient creatures as if you attack them they do chase after you whilst if you let them be they ignore you, the underground ones could be called more territorial so thats why they attack you without provocation. Regardless they have some kind of mind as they do seek you out for a fight.

The corruption is living darkness and disease
I know the corruption is the evil in the world and all but as I said you can feel empathy for literal hellspawn. The idea is you feel bad for any creature that can feel pain that you inflict on them so even though the corruption is slowly destroying the world you would still feel bad for attacking the creatures within it as they are still creatures. The same goes for the crimson.

Plants ARE the living :3
I know that plants techinaclly are living but science is still pretty fuzzy about if they actually feel pain.
The main reason I included the plant enemies was because if plants weren't allowed to be killed that means you couldn't cut down trees, or even just a tiny bit of grass, or harvest potion ingredients, or even break a bit of moss on some stone. It would just become insanely difficult.

List the other ones that could be obtained, an Antlion could easily suffocate them, therefore it isnt YOU, or a NPC could get lucky.
I'm not entirely sure what you meant by this. Did you mean the sandgun instead of an Antlion, or did you mean to say that if an antlions sand fell on an enemy thats an allowed form of damage?

you cannot DIRECTLY throw the Guide Voodoo Doll into Lava
It's a sacrifice that has to be made.

you must trick Voodoo Demons into dropping it in
I'm assuming you mean killing a voodoo demon whilst they're above lava, but considering they're relatively rare and you cant kill fire imps, regular demons, hellbats, or lava slimes it would be really annoying just to wait for a voodoo demon to appear then have it drop its doll right next to lava. I've just decided to make the rules allow you to kill the guide as there is no great final boss you can achieve without doing some killing of some sort/

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by this. Did you mean the sandgun instead of an Antlion, or did you mean to say that if an antlions sand fell on an enemy thats an allowed form of damage?
The Antlion really wouldnt be YOU killing it... So if youre in the underground desert, you arent really harming them.
Also, what about the snowball cannon.

I cant really see that as a traditional weapon... In fact, i believe that it actually exists somewhere?

Also, thank GOODNESS that you can mine meteorite. Uhhhh... The Armor is good enough.

(Breaking 2 shadow orbs still serves a purpose, as you can sell the musket (DIE ARMS DEALER) and you still get a light giving friend. :D)
[DOUBLEPOST=1438518870,1438518469][/DOUBLEPOST]WAIT! I just realized the Stylish Scissors are gained by KILLING THE STYLIST!

(Youre making it sound OK to assasinate the NPCs, dude.)
[DOUBLEPOST=1438519207][/DOUBLEPOST]Question...

If a slime killed itself (Jumping in spikes in the dungeon, for instance) and dropped its staff, would the Baby Slime be allowed to kill things for you?

Cuz it isnt YOU?
[DOUBLEPOST=1438519306][/DOUBLEPOST]Also would the zapinator count if it were obtainable?

Any non-traditional weapon dropped by enemies would count, because like you said, you can use traps.

Well, you cant use traps yourself on Bunnies/Heckspawn... Only the Skeletal, TECHNICALLY non-living, planty, and necessities.

If a enemy jumps into a lava pit, on the other hand.

]Also...
Since the guide is on the list, can i impale him?

PLEEEEAASEEE?

Also, what about the snowball cannon.
Good point, ill add that

WAIT! I just realized the Stylish Scissors are gained by KILLING THE STYLIST!

(Youre making it sound OK to assasinate the NPCs, dude.)
I'm not insinuating that you should kill the stylist, or the painter for the paintgun, but hypothetically if something were to happen to them that was out of your control *wink wink* and they were to drop their item, you would be permitted to use them

If a slime killed itself (Jumping in spikes in the dungeon, for instance) and dropped its staff, would the Baby Slime be allowed to kill things for you?
I did think about this because the NPCs could also kill a slime and have it drop the staff but as I did state in the rules you're not allowed to use any traditional weapons such as magic wands, spell tomes or staves so technically you wouldn't even be able to summon the slime minion.

Also would the zapinator count if it were obtainable?
Probably, considering it is based off of the Nintendo Zapper toy it would be allowed.

Since the guide is on the list, can i impale him?
If you really want to. I had him on the list because you need to kill him to summon the WoF but I guess I never said anything about killing him at any other time...

What about setting up traps to kill creatures? *motions to 200-dart-trap area to kill slimes*
Good thought but thats still pretty much you causing the death of a living creature.
In the rules I stated you can use traps to kill the specific enemies allowed such as skeletal based ones but not things like slimes or demon eyes

Good thought but thats still pretty much you causing the death of a living creature.
In the rules I stated you can use traps to kill the specific enemies allowed such as skeletal based ones but not things like slimes or demon eyes
But what if you 'Accidentally' run over a pressure plate trying to get away?

Well does it QUALIFY as a loophole? I don't want to cheat with a loophole that is not loopy. Or holey.

Nooo! This no longer works.

Alright, scroo da rools.
LEZZ NUKE DA EOW
WIF TEH NPCS.

(Now, tsk tsk johnny, its not you. So nuke away.

What about that you make a lava pool and some creatures "accidently" jumped in?
Or you make a trap(with yellow pressure plate) and a creature "accidently" triggers it?
And what about thorns potions, inferno potions or the contact damage under the blessing of the Dryad?
Finally, is it allowed to let NPCs kill the creepers or EoW for getting the improved pickaxe(by using statues to summon them)?

Doesnt really matter anymore, when you think about it. They updated it so voodoo demons dont spawn till one kills the Eater/Brain. So you cant fight the wall without killing them. Even if you did change the rules, the two were a big milestone of power. It gave you the only pick to mine heckstone without fishing, and insanely powerful armors.
If you were to change the rules, it removes the challenge. Now, if he does find a way, (saying youre too kind to use a corpse as supplies and removing medusa head as well) this will work again.
Now, answering your questions.
Lava pool and the trap are both traps. Only dead (no zombies) and plants can use it, as well as the Voodoo Demon, Wall of Flesh (dont ask me how though) and Guide. (*snicker as i rub my hands together*) The potions technically wouldnt be allowed, but its not YOU casting the blessing. Its hers. So i guess its not really your fault, its more the dryad attacking? And, well, I dont think the npcs are as skilled fighters as us, but if you try, thats more or less commanding them for your demise.
Plus YOU try keeping them in the same spot while you break three orbs and run. (Worm food doesnt work here. You would need to kill EoS or Devourers)
[DOUBLEPOST=1443263736,1443263603][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, thx for the mention!

Issue Solved (Just an idea):
Can kill:
Eater of Souls (ONLY if you run out of shadow orbs)
Eater of Worlds.
But, youre not exactly one to use corpses as weaponry, its still wrong... (Ditch the medusa head as well, though, now that i think about it)
So you cant use the shadow scales or demonite.

Back
Top Bottom