Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case. Just for you, I hope they do. I feel bad for you it must be bad to be separated from a good friend. I hope you have a good time if they do add some kind of feature like that.

I really hope so too. I made an account here to post in hopes somebody sees it, and considers finding a way to add online multiplayer in some form to the 3ds. It would be completely fine if 1 person had to host a server program specifically for it on the computer or something. I may have a 3ds and a PC among pretty much everything else, But the 3ds is the only system we have in common.

I really hope they see this, because I think its really weird there isn't online for the 3ds. A multiplayer game on a system that can play on the internet, a game that is known for having online multiplayer... Not getting online multiplayer. Its weird to me, and like I said, it feels strange having to worry about a game having online multiplayer. You never have to worry about that in this day in age..

No, you can't use the 3ds as a controller for Wii U. You also can't play 3ds versus Wii U in multiplayer like on Vita/PS3 because the 3ds couldn't handle the larger worlds of the Wii u version.

Oh no! So the 3DS version will not have large worlds? What other limitations will it have? Will there be an update for New 3DS..? I feel having Terraria 'fit' on old 3DS is just holding it back.

I'm so psyched for this to be released! Once I get my hands on it, you'll see me on it all the time. Great work! :D

I wasn't referring to 1.3.1 - and obviously they were false across the board. ;) That was my point.
cenx teased obout 1.3.1 maybe its just me or its coming out
[DOUBLEPOST=1438768075,1438768039][/DOUBLEPOST]p.s cenx said it
[DOUBLEPOST=1438768100][/DOUBLEPOST]another staff said it

I soooo cannot wait for this! i'm going to buy it as soon as it releases! maybe even have a reason to get my own 3DS instead of using my sister's.

cenx teased obout 1.3.1 maybe its just me or its coming out
[DOUBLEPOST=1438768075,1438768039][/DOUBLEPOST]p.s cenx said it
[DOUBLEPOST=1438768100][/DOUBLEPOST]another staff said it

Again, I think we are missing each other here - my initial post was not referring to 1.3.1. :p

Obviously, I'm pretty "in the know" (so to speak) on that front. ;)

Chalk it up to miscommunication I suppose? :)

I think for 3ds should work by local and online if you make your world a server for free maximum players you set it's total 10 to 20 I'm exided for the terraria 3ds I'm a huge fan of this game and I also make game plays today 7/5/2015 I'll game a terraria android let's play chanel Gaby13244 when you open my chanel it's name changes to ProGamer817 I thank you all for this awsome game

Oh no! So the 3DS version will not have large worlds? What other limitations will it have? Will there be an update for New 3DS..? I feel having Terraria 'fit' on old 3DS is just holding it back.
So will the Classic Controller work on Wii U as well?

No, just the GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller and Wii Remote and Nunchuk. The idea wasn't to try and support every controller that's ever existed, just to open up the split screen by supporting the controllers that people were most likely to own, ie. the Wii Remote. In the UK at least, Pro Controllers are thin on the ground and quite expensive.

I really hope so too. I made an account here to post in hopes somebody sees it, and considers finding a way to add online multiplayer in some form to the 3ds. It would be completely fine if 1 person had to host a server program specifically for it on the computer or something. I may have a 3ds and a PC among pretty much everything else, But the 3ds is the only system we have in common.

I really hope they see this, because I think its really weird there isn't online for the 3ds. A multiplayer game on a system that can play on the internet, a game that is known for having online multiplayer... Not getting online multiplayer. Its weird to me, and like I said, it feels strange having to worry about a game having online multiplayer. You never have to worry about that in this day in age..

Online multiplayer is not off the table forever, it just won't be a launch feature.

Nintendo is much stricter than Sony and Microsoft when it comes to the creation and transmission of user generated content, and the terraforming and sign edits etc fall under that. Local Play is seen as a safer environment for multiplayer on 3DS, because you are basically face to face with the other players.

Bear in mind that what might be ideal for the hardcore Terraria player might not be for a general 3DS player, and the latter group is where all the growth in the player base will come from. So while having a player set up a server on a PC might sound fine to you, how do we expect a younger player that's coming to this from a Mario game to do that?

I would request that you hold on and play it before deciding we're 'holding it back' by not making it a New 3DS exclusive. I play it every day and it's great! How many games are actually New 3DS exclusive? Xenoblade Chronicles, Binding Of Isaac and... what else? We're trying to make a game that is as inclusive as possible, and by making it for New 3DS we'd exclude 90% of players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um...?

"Yes", that the title font looks cheap? As in poorly made?

Also, you seem a bit excited. Too much hype?
Understandable.
Sorry, I forgot that I was replying to the cheep artwork, I meant yes to the wii u and 3ds getting terraria.

<Double Post Merged: Please edit your original post instead of double posting>

Nice to see a fellow villager main with a 3ds that loves terraria as much as me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, so the Wii U Pro controller works. That's actually what I meant to ask. I get that confused with the Classic Controller a lot. :p They're so similar.

Will there be world size options for Wii U/3DS? How many characters/worlds can you have on them?

Deanzor! Thanks so much for answering everyone's questions! I know both versions will open up an amazing opportunity for more fans! Really appreciate it.

Online multiplayer is not off the table forever, it just won't be a launch feature.

Bear in mind that what might be ideal for the hardcore Terraria player might not be for a general 3DS player, and the latter group is where all the growth in the player base will come from. So while having a player set up a server on a PC might sound fine to you, how do we expect a younger player that's coming to this from a Mario game to do that?

I would request that you hold on and play it before deciding we're 'holding it back' by not making it a New 3DS exclusive. I play it every day and it's great! How many games are actually New 3DS exclusive? Xenoblade Chronicles, Binding Of Isaac and... what else? We're trying to make a game that is as inclusive as possible, and by making it for New 3DS we'd exclude 90% of players.

If you're trying to be as inclusive as you can then I think you should definitely push for Online multiplayer. The PC version (or any other version) would certainly not have the community it does now without Online multiplayer - and 3DS players deserve the same chance.

and please forgive my concerns about the game's performance on 3DS. We've heard many times around here that the '3DS just isn't powerful enough', - I'm fairly sure it was even one of the devs themselves that said so, many, many blood moons ago.
I'm sure the game will run fine on old 3DS and that it's a lot of fun, but with no online multiplayer, a 4-player-only limit and no Large Worlds, it's going to be a tough sell! Especially if it's going to be full price (£30-40).

Nintendo is much stricter than Sony and Microsoft when it comes to the creation and transmission of user generated content, and the terraforming and sign edits etc fall under that. Local Play is seen as a safer environment for multiplayer on 3DS, because you are basically face to face with the other players.

Right, I understand how they are strict with that sort of thing. But online is going to be on the Wii U version correct? So.. It seems you already got past the barrier of that content transmission. I don't see how they would say yes to that on the Wii U and then no on the 3DS, both are Nintendo consoles. When I was saying that I would be fine with 1 person hosting a server for the 3ds on a PC, i didn't really think about other people. I can see that would be a huge issue. I was just trying to think of a way to alleviate possible stress on the system to allow online multiplayer. If there is a way to make it possible, by all means try and do that!

If you're trying to be as inclusive as you can then I think you should definitely push for Online multiplayer. The PC version (or any other version) would certainly not have the community it does now without Online multiplayer - and 3DS players deserve the same chance.
I'm sure the game will run fine on old 3DS and that it's a lot of fun, but with no online multiplayer, a 4-player-only limit and no Large Worlds, it's going to be a tough sell! Especially if it's going to be full price (£30-40).

I fully agree with this. Playing online with your friends is a really huge aspect to terraria, and I think would be a really huge draw for the crowd. I think being able to say its online capable in a pre release trailer will bring a lot more interest and more people would want to buy it to play with friends. Even if its not possible, being able to add online capabilities to the 3ds version at all, at some point in time would make most of the more informed people who follow updates and stuff happy. As far as the limitations, The world size and player limitation is fine with me. As long as I can still build a nice town and have space on both sides. Only the online thing bothers me. It's kind of a must for me, otherwise I will just be playing this offline by myself and I would get bored pretty fast.

If you think its possible, and its not off the table... Then I hope we can see it in the game someday:naughty:

as someone who currently has 770 hours on the PC version and is a nintendo fan I am so hyped for this... PLEASE don't be like other developers and half :red: it or just not release it... because 3rd parties have been doing that to nintendo a lot and I really love both nintendo and terraria.

No, just the GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller and Wii Remote and Nunchuk. The idea wasn't to try and support every controller that's ever existed, just to open up the split screen by supporting the controllers that people were most likely to own, ie. the Wii Remote. In the UK at least, Pro Controllers are thin on the ground and quite expensive.

Will It Be New 3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom