Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for answering. 3 worlds is enough for play, actually 1 world is.

You can store multiple worlds and characters on your console, to be clear. But when you start a new 3ds game you don't get the choice of small/medium/large worlds like on the console versions.

Hey Deanzor, will we be getting exclusive bosses/weapons?
Also, will Ocram return, and all of the consol exclusive items?

I don't want to ignore this question, but for now the content specifics are TBC. Will update when we're nearer to launch.

I don't want to ignore this question, but for now the content specifics are TBC. Will update when we're nearer to launch.
So, what I'm hearing is we will be getting wiiu/3ds exclusive items/bosses? If not now then later?

Not entirely, no. The issue isn't space on the cart. You can get carts up into the gigabytes, and we can order as big a cart as we need. But the game needs to be loaded from the game cart into the system memory to run. So while, yes, we can have you stick the DL content on the SD card, it's all got to fit into memory when you run it.

Consider that Terraria isn't a game with levels that begin and end and can be loaded one after another. Terraria is open world, so you need all of it all of the time.

The single world size on 3ds can't be as big as the largest world on PC as a result.
Right. Personally, I have zero complaints about world size. I actually think PC's smallest size is too big for me at times. And in the end, it may perhaps happen that 3DS Terraria hits a wall and can't really be updated past a certain point, but it'll still be an awesome port that I'll play all the time!

There's been a misunderstanding that we'll at least have everything up to 1.2.4: we started with 1.1, got everything up to 1.2, and now memory is getting tight. We're having to make decisions now on how to optimise to give you more still, and we're making good progress.

Not entirely, no. The issue isn't space on the cart. You can get carts up into the gigabytes, and we can order as big a cart as we need. But the game needs to be loaded from the game cart into the system memory to run. So while, yes, we can have you stick the DL content on the SD card, it's all got to fit into memory when you run it.

So essentially what you are saying is, You could do everything up to 1.3 if you wanted... But the issue is that the system just can't handle more, meaning there's a possibility the 3DS will never have version 1.3.

Not exactly, he said that he'll answer that question closer to launch, basically he didn't confirm or deny it :)
There is still hope XD
[DOUBLEPOST=1439086458,1439086257][/DOUBLEPOST]Everyone start begging for the ZAPINATOR!!!!!!

So essentially what you are saying is, You could do everything up to 1.3 if you wanted... But the issue is that the system just can't handle more, meaning there's a possibility the 3DS will never have version 1.3.
That's not what he's saying actually :) You see the storage memory COULD hold all the content, but because of how Terraria doesn't have load screens it all has to fit in the 3DS's RAM at once and that is actually very limited so it limits how much content they can actually add to the game.

As Nike Leon suggested, 3DS is a fixed world size and Wii U has the three size options from the console versions. That's part of the reason we can't support crossplay between the versions. Bear in mind the 3DS has a lot less RAM than a TV console, and the entirety of the world and all the content needs to be stored in RAM all the time.

That last point is the reason why I can't yet give you a firm answer on how much content we'll have in for launch. There's been a misunderstanding that we'll at least have everything up to 1.2.4: we started with 1.1, got everything up to 1.2, and now memory is getting tight. We're having to make decisions now on how to optimise to give you more still, and we're making good progress. Re-Logic asked us to add in some 1.3 UI that made the game easier to play, but that doesn't mean we're 1.2.4 complete.

Could you clarify just how big the worlds are? I'm assuming if there's no option for Small or Medium, that it's Small worlds only? ...the worlds we end up getting are likely smaller than the 'Small' worlds of other console versions. I mean, why else can't we choose between Small or Medium?

... and you say the RAM is the issue here. Well, did you know that the New 3DS has twice as much RAM as a 3DS? You could potentially make the game twice as good. Essentially, you'd rather dumb the game down to make a bit of cash rather than deliver the best experience possible. Fair enough, you're a business after all.

I'm not trying to be awkward. Please see it from my point of view. I've been wanting this game on 3DS for years. It's finally announced, years too late, on the out dated model of 3DS, with an outdated version of the game, with huge limitations to the gameplay. Massive disappointment. :/

Could you clarify just how big the worlds are? I'm assuming if there's no option for Small or Medium, that it's Small worlds only? ...the worlds we end up getting are likely smaller than the 'Small' worlds of other console versions. I mean, why else can't we choose between Small or Medium?

... and you say the RAM is the issue here. Well, did you know that the New 3DS has twice as much RAM as a 3DS? You could potentially make the game twice as good. Essentially, you'd rather dumb the game down to make a bit of cash rather than deliver the best experience possible. Fair enough, you're a business after all.

I'm not trying to be awkward. Please see it from my point of view. I've been wanting this game on 3DS for years. It's finally announced, years too late, on the out dated model of 3DS, with an outdated version of the game, with huge limitations to the gameplay. Massive disappointment. :/
The problem is, while yes, the New 3DS is far stronger and would deliver a better gameplay experience, for a game as popular as Terraria, while putting it on the New 3DS may be a more practical choice, the fact stands that not a lot of people have one compared to the original. I don't have one, and I know most people don't. Most people have a regular 3DS. And the worst thing you can do when releasing a game like this is disappoint the majority. It's not necessarily for the money, it's really just gigantic fanservice. So making it a New 3DS exclusive would be both good and bad, but the downside would outweigh the upsides. And to be completely honest, I'd be saying the same thing even if I did have a New 3DS, I'm not just saying this in an attempt to defend my own system or anything. I just do my best to look at these sort if things from a business point of view.

Ladies, ladies, stop arguing about wether or not it should be for the new3ds or the regular 3ds. The thing we should be talking about first is what the wii u will handle before the we continue to wory for the future of terraria3ds.

ZAPINATOR ZAPINATOR ZAPINATOR ZAPINATOR ZAPINATOR ZAPINATOR.

You can store multiple worlds and characters on your console, to be clear. But when you start a new 3ds game you don't get the choice of small/medium/large worlds like on the console versions.
Thanks! Was unsure of that meant since you said it was like Mobile. I like lots of worlds compared to choosing the size. Keep up the good work! Thanks for answering my questions!

<Double Post Merged: Please edit your original post instead of making a new one>

Seriously. I don't think this matters. 505 is thinking about how many fans they can reach out to. I'm sure they'll figure something out for New 3DS players so they can have a better experience cause it has better RAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super exited for this again! Will there be a special new tutorial for both versions, or maybe a newer revamped version of the console one for the Wii U and 3DS?

Super exited for this again! Will there be a special new tutorial for both versions, or maybe a newer revamped version of the console one for the Wii U and 3DS?

Console version with the touch stuff added for Wii U, 3DS is all-new because the interface is completely different from the Wii U version.

Pointing out that New 3DS has twice the RAM so the game could be twice as good is a massive oversimplification. You are comparing a 3DS version that you've not played yet but have decided isn't good enough with a New 3DS version that you've also not played but are imagining to be amazing.

The definitive version of Terraria already exists on PC. That version will always get the new content first, unrestricted by any technical ceiling. As we get closer to launch, the full content of the 3DS version will be laid bare. All the hardcore Terrarians on these boards will then be able to decide if the convenience of a 3DS version and the new interface is worth the inevitable compromises that come with bringing a PC game to a (relatively) low powered portable device. I can see the 3DS version becoming my 'go to' version, but I wouldn't presume the same is true for everyone.

If this version is not right for you, then fair enough. You are presumably well catered for in the multiple other versions that exist out there. But there are people out there that will come to this great game fresh via 3DS and will love it. There are hardcore Terrarians that will embrace 3DS as a 'companion' product to the PC version. There are people that will think 'I'll stick with what I have already', and all are perfectly valid viewpoints.

I welcome all feedback on here, but please understand that I don't want to spend a lot more time justifying the 3DS version not being a New 3DS exclusive.

Nk32Jn4.png
there are a few things here i want to mention:
1. Terraria is a 2.5D game. it's a minor detail, but there are differences!
2. only 8 players (online) and only 4 players (local), these numbers seems small but i think there are acaptable.
3. 2016... ;(
4. i really want to see the controls with the Wii-Remote (+nunchuk). xD

check the side out, it's cool.

Pointing out that New 3DS has twice the RAM so the game could be twice as good is a massive oversimplification. You are comparing a 3DS version that you've not played yet but have decided isn't good enough with a New 3DS version that you've also not played but are imagining to be amazing.

The definitive version of Terraria already exists on PC. That version will always get the new content first, unrestricted by any technical ceiling. As we get closer to launch, the full content of the 3DS version will be laid bare. All the hardcore Terrarians on these boards will then be able to decide if the convenience of a 3DS version and the new interface is worth the inevitable compromises that come with bringing a PC game to a (relatively) low powered portable device. I can see the 3DS version becoming my 'go to' version, but I wouldn't presume the same is true for everyone.

If this version is not right for you, then fair enough. You are presumably well catered for in the multiple other versions that exist out there. But there are people out there that will come to this great game fresh via 3DS and will love it. There are hardcore Terrarians that will embrace 3DS as a 'companion' product to the PC version. There are people that will think 'I'll stick with what I have already', and all are perfectly valid viewpoints.

I welcome all feedback on here, but please understand that I don't want to spend a lot more time justifying the 3DS version not being a New 3DS exclusive.
In my opinion the 3ds should get updates up until a certain point, say 1.2.4.1.
Then the new 3ds should be able to Handel updates until at least 1.4.2(just using this as an example.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439235973,1439235395][/DOUBLEPOST]ZAPINATOR
:redmunch:
ZAPINATOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom