Weapons & Equip No equipment slot for wings?

I don't know about you guys, but as far as I know the only mounts that can compare to wings come from difficult events at the end of the game, while wings are available almost as soon as hardmode begins.

Recently I've been trying out a new melee build, and I wanted to add another accessory, but I didn't know what to take out, so I took out my wings, because cosmic car keys. Its actually made a big difference without my wings even with my op infinite flying mount, and I can see why wings having their own slot would kinda be op

I don't know about you guys, but as far as I know the only mounts that can compare to wings only come from difficult events at the end of the game, while wings are available almost as soon as hardmode begins.
Mounts basically terminate the usefulness of other accessories as well. The Bunny and Unicorn Mount for example. No more need for super speed accessories! If you look at the Bee Mount, you basically have a crappy (but still useful) substitute for Wings... pre-Hardmode.

Mounts compromise the usefulness of movement accessories as a whole, not just Wings.

I don't use my mount underground but ALWAYS utilize my wings flying through the deep caverns & such. There is room for both, and I would still like to see wings stop being an accessory and have a separate non-modified spot under the "equipment".

Guys, this game needs to remain balanced. If you start giving special slots to everything then where's the fun and what's the point of the game? How can you give special slot to an accessory? An accessory that can have "Warding" or "Menacing" prefix! And not only that, there would still be one empty slot that you can fill in with another powerful accessory. The beauty of balance is that you have to decide are you going to go for "glass cannon", or are you going to go a bit damage and a bit defense, or full defense. If Wings would have an extra accessory slot, you could go 5 glass cannon accessories and then Worm Scarf, and you would be pretty much invincible, even in Expert Mode.

But... Wings don't have to be an accessory. You can't combine them with anything else, so they instantly become a "top-tier" item. Take off any modifiers and they basically become a temporary mini flying mount.

I get the cannon/lots'n'lots of power that having that extra accessory spot might be, but say somehow one of the 5 spots is "reserved" for a funny/unusual accessory- one of those silly ones used in fishing, or the book of vine collectiong... one of those ones that is a stand-alone and offers an extra ability that is not combat based but just for wackiness?

As far as I care, if we go with giving Wings a dedicated slot, they don't have to stop being equipable as Accessories (in fact, it might be the only smooth way to implement this). Just look at the GPS and the newer 1.3 information items; they can be used from inside the inventory or equipped as an accessory, and they get accessory modifiers. Wings wouldn't have to be any different.

Mounts basically terminate the usefulness of other accessories as well. The Bunny and Unicorn Mount for example. No more need for super speed accessories! If you look at the Bee Mount, you basically have a crappy (but still useful) substitute for Wings... pre-Hardmode.

Mounts compromise the usefulness of movement accessories as a whole, not just Wings.

For the bunny and unicorn mount: You need to get of them sometime... Also I can't just sit in an UFO for my whole entire Terrarian life. Note that Mounts each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Though mounts may increase speed/flying dramatically, as a whole, you character needs his own speed to keep up if he can't use a mount, such as tight builds and areas.

For the bee mount: The drop chance for it to drop from the Queen is roughly 5% (9.75% in expert) Who knows? RNG could be crappy and you will need multiple worlds just for it. And wings don't need a charging time for it to fly fast.

Though I agree with you with wings deserve some love, Giving them an equipment slot would be a bit OP. They are meant to be accessories. Think about it in real life. I got my carrot and some meat in my pocket to tame both a bunny and a friendly wolf respectively. I also have my car keys, grappling hook, and spare minecart parts in my toolbox/tool belt. Wings, Can I just magically put them on my back? No, I would need some sort of items to make them visible and put them on.
Wings don't really need an equipment slot. They can fly at a very high speed in a short amount of time.

Guys, this game needs to remain balanced. If you start giving special slots to everything then where's the fun and what's the point of the game? How can you give special slot to an accessory? An accessory that can have "Warding" or "Menacing" prefix! And not only that, there would still be one empty slot that you can fill in with another powerful accessory. The beauty of balance is that you have to decide are you going to go for "glass cannon", or are you going to go a bit damage and a bit defense, or full defense. If Wings would have an extra accessory slot, you could go 5 glass cannon accessories and then Worm Scarf, and you would be pretty much invincible, even in Expert Mode.
I agree because we don't need Terraria to be one of those MMORPGs where you click a button, and then you are done. The new Equipment slots were made for more convenient inventory management, not for making the game easier. The Cell Phone was even introduced to not clutter your inventory with informational items. Not to mention, if Wings get an equipment slot, then they would not have prefixes like Lucky, Warding, etc.

There's literally no way a special wing slot would make you overpowered in any way.
What are you going to put in that slot? 10% more damage? Oh no, the game is broken now!

Does that mean we should just give everyone 6 accessory slots now, since it's obviously not overpowered?
Sure. Why not?
It's not a necessary change, but there's barely a downside.

This isn't some MOBA where everything is balanced as much as possible. Hell, the whole game has massive balance issues.
12% more damage is a droplet in the Pacific Ocean.

Yeah with the last prism, lunar flare and Nebula armor everything seems pretty balanced
*sarcasm detected*
That's a bull:red: argument. Yeah, most of the Moon Lord's drops are ridiculously powerful, but be honest here, there's nothing left after the Moon Lord. These powerful and wacky items are provided to have a bit of fun. You can't compare this with an extra wing slot which would need to be rebalanced for the whole hardmode segment.

If this separate wing slot would be added then this would have consequences:
- We end up with one less accessory slot to balance things out. This would piss off a lot of players because not everyone uses wings all the time, including me. Besides, there'd only be 4 accessory slots throughout easy mode.
- We end up with an extra accessory slot. Like many voices already stated, this would mess up game balance. Red would most likely need to reduce the effectiveness of a lot of accessories due to players being able to carry one extra. I don't want to see that happen.

I really don't see why some people just have to have a wings slots. You have 5 wings slot. Stick your wings in one of them and you're ready to go.

Sure. Why not?
It's not a necessary change, but there's barely a downside.

This isn't some MOBA where everything is balanced as much as possible. Hell, the whole game has massive balance issues.
12% more damage is a droplet in the Pacific Ocean.
There's a lot more accessories one could use other then just 12% more damage...

There's a lot more accessories one could use other then just 12% more damage...
Enlighten me. Which accessory would break the balance of the game that you cannot replace one of your 4th other accessories for and why would it have such a large effect if you could have it while keeping other accessories?

Enlighten me. Which accessory would break the balance of the game that you cannot replace one of your 4th other accessories for and why would it have such a large effect if you could have it while keeping other accessories?
No single accessory is going to completely break the game, but having an extra one will probably make the game a lot easier.

No single accessory is going to completely break the game, but having an extra one will probably make the game a lot easier.
Or course it would make the game easier. But it would not have a noticeable impact.

Master Ninja Gear? The wall climbing is useless, the dodging is way too RNG to rely on and you have much more practical ways of dodging things than the dash.
Paladin's Shield? It's completely useless in singleplayer. Even in multiplayer you have much better options.
Bundle of Balloons? Weaker wings except much more frustrating to get, and barely gives you any horizontal movement.
Flesh Knuckles? 7 defense. 3 less damage. Yay. Might as well get the Paladin Shield.
Worm Scarf? 17% damage resistance sounds great but it doesn't affect much at all, really.

These are all of the accessories I can think of that you wouldn't have in your loadout already, but bear in mind I am kinda sleepy and might be forgetting some.

The Master Ninja Gear is a great example. Dodging is way too RNG to rely on? What does that even mean? There's no number generator at work. You dodge when you want to dodge. There's not a roll being made that makes you fail a dodge. There's only a cooldown.
Worm Scarf is very useful, especially in expert mode.
The others are poor examples. I would equip an extra damage accessory or a yellow horseshoe balloon for that extra flight boost. Sure, it wouldn't upset the balance in the Force, but it sure makes the game a lot easier. Wings+rocket boots+balloon=incredible mobility.
Also, the need to actually think about what accessories you need to equip would diminish since this extra slot would give people too much freedom to permanently wear all their favourite accessories. As it is now people need to shuffle their accessories around to adapt to different situations and challenges and I think it's a good thing.

The Master Ninja Gear is a great example. Dodging is way too RNG to rely on? What does that even mean? There's no number generator at work. You dodge when you want to dodge. There's not a roll being made that makes you fail a dodge. There's only a cooldown.
Worm Scarf is very useful, especially in expert mode.
The others are poor examples. I would equip an extra damage accessory or a yellow horseshoe balloon for that extra flight boost. Sure, it wouldn't upset the balance in the Force, but it sure makes the game a lot easier. Wings+rocket boots+balloon=incredible mobility.
Also, the need to actually think about what accessories you need to equip would diminish since this extra slot would give people too much freedom to permanently wear all their favourite accessories. As it is now people need to shuffle their accessories around to adapt to different situations and challenges and I think it's a good thing.
With the MNG, I meant the Black Belt dodge. Not the Tabi dash.
It's useful, but 17% really doesn't change that much. 17% of 100 DMG is 83 DMG, and that's still a lot of damage.
The extra damage, I already addressed. The best you can get is 12% more damage (You should already have an Emblem) and that's nothing game breaking.

I ditched my wings once I got the Fishron/UFO mount and replace them with something else, but there's so little difference I re-equipped the wings to move around in my base easier.

The "switching around accessories" thing is just an extra click. There's nothing tactical about it.

With the MNG, I meant the Black Belt dodge. Not the Tabi dash.
It's useful, but 17% really doesn't change that much. 17% of 100 DMG is 83 DMG, and that's still a lot of damage.
The extra damage, I already addressed. The best you can get is 12% more damage (You should already have an Emblem) and that's nothing game breaking.

I ditched my wings once I got the Fishron/UFO mount and replace them with something else, but there's so little difference I re-equipped the wings to move around in my base easier.

The "switching around accessories" thing is just an extra click. There's nothing tactical about it.
Get hit 5 times for 100 damage and you're not dead. In fact, you'll have 85 hitpoints left. Seems very nice to me.
The extra damage, 12% or 15%, menacing on top of that, seems good to me as well.
The switching around is just an extra click? Well, then why want an extra slot in the first place. In fact, if all these accessories are worthless anyway, why even want an extra accessory slot?

Anyway, discussing this is a pointless exercise I guess. Cenx has spoken and I'm glad she's defending Terraria's yin and yang. :)

Reactions: D12
Back
Top Bottom