Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH YES!
Here's what I have to offer:

Color Gate:
4 sided hidden* mechanism which receives signal on one side.
After a signal has been received, it will randomly choose a side from which it will send out a signal.
*Hidden like wires are hidden.
What for?
• Allow randomly generated possibilities without complexity for the user.
Illustration:

ColorGate.png

Deactivetable Wire-
A mechanism which when placed, is attached to all the wires around it. Can be made color specific when toggled with a wrench of that color.
Once signal is received, it will toggle the wire it is attached to/from inactive state, making that wire not transmit the signal further.
What for?
• Enable/Disable pressure plate based mechanisms
• Adventure maps: Reach region A, B and C to unlock a path.

Reciever-
Sends a wire signal once it gets hit by a player or trap projectile.
What for?
• Adventure maps: Magic Missile maze (guiding the projectile through a block maze), 'shooting me to proceed'
• Long ranged button

Light Sensor-
Sends out a signal once the light level around it is 'x', 'x' being a number set by the developers.
Lets say its placed outside, at 8am it will send out a signal, and 8pm it will send out a signal. (example)

What for?
• Adventure maps: Make certain areas accessible only at day/night.
• Set up defenses for the night. (Efficient with the Deactivetable Wire)

All the mechanisms!

• switchback pressure plates which activate when stepped on and deactivate when stepped off of.
  • buttons which do the same, but are right clicked like switches or levers.
  • an inactive block which is invisible when inactive, force field block?
  • drains, like the opposite of bubbles. lets liquids (and maybe projectiles too?) through but not mobs and players.
  • test-for mechanism. Something that can test for certain parameters within a set area. For example if there is a player near, it would activate wiring connected to it. Another type could test for a certain item.
  • A way to activate items like boss/event summoners that are placed in it via wiring. Either a new ability for item frames, or a new item entirely.
  • Locks to be placed on chests by the player. Would change a chest's sprite to it's locked form and require a key to open. Possibly crafted with a respective key and something else. Would work with all currently lockable chests, maybe the rest could have new locks as well.
  • Locks for doors as well, like the lihzahrd temple locked door.
  • Moar timers!
  • day/night/event/light detector. Would detect stuff like night time, or light level and send a wiring pulse.
  • a pressure plate which once activated can not be activated again without being reset. Allowing the building of one way entrances without using the trick which makes the pressure plate break and subsequently go into the players inventory.
  • A martian tractor beam which would pull the player in a certain direction.
  • lasers and things that are activated by lasers!
  • MOAR TRAPS!
  • weighted block which could be right clicked to pick up as an item.
  • weighted pressure plate which would be activated by said block.
  • A different type of timer which sends out another wiring pulse a certain amount of time after something is activated. e.g. player hits switch which is connected to a timer which is set to 3 seconds. The switch actuates some blocks to be inactive. three seconds elapse, then the blocks are switched back to being active again.
  • door which is only openable via mechanics
  • moving block which could be placed in a track and would move back and forth
  • an angleable block which can be moved through in one direction but not another
  • fully aimable traps (e.g. horizontal spear traps, and vertical flame thrower traps)

portal gun related stuff (maybe sold by the mechanic when you have a portal gun?)

• something placeable like actuators which prevents blocks from being portalleable. Sure you can do the sloped block thing but it it's inefficient over large areas.
  • improved pink gel block mechanics when using the portal gun. It would mimic velocity completely, rather than capping at a certain height.
  • spreadable pink gel and asphalt *wink wink* *nudge nudge*
  • a block that can be moved through but doing so removes the players portals
  • some way to customize multiplayer portal gun colours would be cool

Statues and Banners!

• a crimson statue to rival the corrupt one.
  • a hallow statue.
  • banners activated by wire could increase the spawn rate of a the related enemy.
  • sunflower statue gives the sunflower buff when activated.
  • demon statue which spawns demons. After mech bosses have been defeated it would spawn red devils.
  • skeleton statue spawns armoured skeletons in hardmode, angry bones and armoured bones in the dungeon, undead vikings and armoured vikings in the ice biome, and it could sometimes spawn an undead miner instead of a normal skeleton.
  • bat statue spawns jungle bats and giant flying foxes in the jungle, hellbats and lava bats in hell, ice bats in the underground ice, giant bats in hardmode, illuminant bats in the hallow.
  • bunny statue spawns corrupt and crimtane bunnies when it is in their respective biomes.
  • goldfish statue spawns corrupt and crimtane goldfish when it is in their respective biomes.
  • jellyfish statue spawns pink jellyfish in the ocean, green jelly fish in hardmode, blood jellies in hardmode crimson, and fungo fish in the mushroom biome in hardmode
  • squirrel statue that spawns a squirrel.
  • scorpion statue that spawns either type of scorpion.
  • piranha statue spawns angler fish in hardmode, blood feeder in hardmode
  • crimson, and Arapaima in hardmode jungle.
  • slime statue spawns variants in all biomes (not gonna list them lol)
  • worm statue which spawns giant worms normally, bone serpents in the underworld, diggers in hardmode, devourer and world feeder in corruption, and tomb crawler and bone splicer in underground desert.

That's all I've got for now :D

Last edited:
block that porpously forces players to move in the deretions and to change the directon it faceing with the interact and a accsesory that makes you "swim" throug it.

• Change devices to work based on binary states instead of being pulsed.
  • Add pulser gates that fire off one single pulse whenever the signal they receive changes from low to high.
  • Overhaul the 1/3/5 clocks to give more options.
  • All logic gates should allow for separate input/output/whatever connections.
  • Statues for each town NPC allowing for more control over summoning.
  • Minecart track gates.
  • Actuator type objects that connect devices specifically to wires; wires don't connect by default. Perhaps different types eg. input/output/whatever nodes.
  • Gemspark blocks/walls valid for housing. On by default, off if connected by low-signal wire, on with high-signal.
  • Bus cable that acts as all-in-one.
  • Sunflower statue purifies wide area if activated and holds back corruption if wire stays on.
  • Some sort of energy cost for power/signals.
  • NPCs use light switches.
  • Come on *friendly nudge*, give us more gemspark colours. Deeper orange, demon purple, lime green etc.
  • Devices that detect something about a player (armour, vanity, dyes, sex, whatever-core, current weapon, inventory item, HP/MP stats).
  • Devices that change the player (switches armour, items to change class).
  • Devices that detect specific mobs/NPCs.
  • Elevators. Slower but less costly than teleporting.
Eh, that's it for now.

Something that senses when water touches it and sends out a redstone signal acts as a power source. Could be used to more easily make automated farms.

Also another thing, all of my (5? 6?) worlds seem to be crimson. I think this could be a bug with the chances of it being a crimson/corruption world.

item pipes with item filters, so you can fill a chest and items can got sorted on proper chests with filters...

Some inisible player detector can be fine as well, so you can hide it and will be nice on adventure maps, same as commands to spawn mobs...

Spectre Wrench and Spectre Wire Cutter (because Spectre Paintbrush, Spectre Paint Roller and Spectre Paint Scrapper (more about them later))!
To use Spectre Wrench, you click once in any point on the screen (or even on map*), then it shows Ruler-like lines from chosen point to your mouse and then you can press again in other place (also possible to press on the map*) to connect them with wire or right-click to cancel placing. Of course, you have to have enough wire with you.
Spectre Wire Cutter - to use it press on the wire anywhere on the screen (or on the map*,**) to destroy Wire. It automatically transports Wires to player's inventory. You can also press and hold right mouse button to mark an area - works slightly like marking place in Camera Mode (so also on the map*,**), but press and hold right click marks 1st corner, release right click marks 2nd corner. Then left click confirms "destruction" of Wires in this area, right click cancels marking.
*When holding Spectre Wrench or Spectre Wire Cutter, player-placed Wires are visible on the map (even on black parts of the map, where player never was before - look Spectre Wrench), however "naturally" generated wires (and eventually placed by other players) are visible on the map, when player was there, the places, which aren't black on the map.
**With marking, player can't destroy "naturally" generated Wires (and eventually placed by other players) on black parts of the map, when player never was before, because it would be perfect money farm - generate world, mark the whole world, get Wires and sell them - too cheaty :D

Eventually we can use :joy: Wireless Wires :joy:. :happy:

Now about these Spectre Paintbrush, Spectre Paint Roller and Spectre Paint Scrapper - I think they should be buffed (a lot).
When you're on this level (post-plantera) you have A LOT of coins so buying so much paint shouldn't be problem. BUT if we haven't got enough paint, we have to come back to the dye trader and it could be slightly frustrating. Also if you need more than 1 stack of paint (for huge builds) it takes more place in your inventory. so I think it should use paint like weapons use Endless Quiver/Endless Musket Pouch - infinitely. I mean you will paint blocks/walls, but paint will not be deleted from your inventory.
And usage for Spectre Paint Roller and Spectre Paint Scrapper - you can right click on the wall to paint/delete paint from all walls in a room. Painting walls is stopped by blocks, doors, platforms, etc. even when walls are under them - to not let paint to go through walls. Also this funcionallity doesn't work on naturally generated walls (including Dungeon and Jungle Temple).
And, of course - the limit of painting is player's screen, not +3 range (except right click of the Spectre Paint Roller and Spectre Paint Scrapper).

Now question - why made Spectre tools so OP? Because they're made out of Ectoplasm (Spectre Bars, I know) which is ghost thingy :D (don't know how to say it, my English isn't perfect :p ).

I would really like something new to the wiring stuff! Mabye add some more wrenches and wireless wire and teleporters would be awesome too.

divider.png

Well, that is exactly what we are going to do in this thread. You get a sense for what we are trying to do with 1.3.1 - now we need your ideas for how wiring and mechanics can be taken to the next level. To submit your idea:
  • Simply post your idea in this thread which as much detail as you can provide.
  • Anything is fair game: new items, new switches, more wire colors, etc.
  • The team will read through all of your ideas along the path to development for 1.3.1, and incorporate any new ideas that seem really cool
  • Of course, we already have our own internal list of "stuff", but we will keep that a secret for now.
divider.png
Thanks!

All I really want is for furniture to be able to be placed on actuated blocks and stay...

I don't know if it's already posted, but I think it would be great having more wire colors using basic dyes (no bicolor dyes or strange plants dyes) plus wire as material.

For example 1 red dye + 100 wires = 100 red wires. I know that's not logic in real life but I think would be more useful the dyes as material in addition to customize characters. And the original color for the wire would be a copper hue. `:happy:

I would like to see a trap that shoots out bombs, a super version of the bomb trap, and crafting recipes for the traps so that gathering traps is as painless as possible.

This may very well get buried in the thread, but I think that it would be awesome if there were objects that reacted to different global/local objects. They would turn the circuit on whenever that particular variable is true. Some ideas would include:

Light/Dark
Enemy nearby/Not nearby
Player nearby/Not nearby
Enemy Player nearby/Not nearby
Allied Player nearby/Not nearby
Boss summoned/None present

It would also be cool if there were objects in the game that allowed for movement of the player or enemies. Things like elevators, pulleys (Think like drawbridges and such), or fans, to displace characters or projectiles.

Also, if the devs were willing to make invasions come only from a single direction, then it would be awesome to have more turret items. I like to think that it would be cool to build a large fortress that literally defends against and invasion. The idea then would not be to build your town somewhere else so that everybody doesn't get slaughtered during an invasion, but instead to actually defend your town and its people. Each invasion does have units that can get around something as simple as a wall, so I don't think that it would be too imbalanced, especially if they were to make other enemies have way of getting around defenses, such as grappling hooks or instances such as {if invasion cannot proceed; then bring enemies who can destroy tiles}.

I think there should be a portal! It would be a bit like the teleporter except you would be able to toggle it between on or off states and it would be wireless. You could craft it by combining a teleporter and luminite bars (make it hard to get) and you would be able to transfer literally anything through it. I think this would combine well with a lot of other ideas I have seen on this thread, for example conveyor belts passing items from an automated farm in the jungle right to a chest room. Portals could even be used to travel between player made worlds or even access a super hardmode world.

Also, you could add a mechanical world anchor block, that would load a certain area just like the player was stood there, causing monsters to spawn. This would open up a lot of possibilities for automated farms! (although maybe have a limit of 2 active per world, since it could be abused)

Thanks for reading my suggestion! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom