Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about a summoner weapon that is crafted with 10 wire and 10 iron bars. It would only be able to move on wire.
No? That sounds stupid?
I guess summoner stuff will have to wait til 1.3.2 then.

In that case then how about an adjustable timer that lets you choose any delay from 1 ingame tick, to 1 IRL hour.
Maybe turn that :red:ty summoner weapon into a trap that you could control with a thing.
A pipe that collects items, and transports them around, and maybe a larger one that players, and NPCs could go through.
Red,blue,and green wires could be pulse wires that send a pulse.
Orange, purple, and yellow wires could be togglable wires that toggle between on and off.

I keep seeing suggestions for logic gates, but I'm curious to know how that would work with the current wiring system.
A 2-block thing. One part of it is input, the other is output. Output sends a value/activates something. There can be multiple inputs and/or outputs if necessary.

Out of everything, I want quality of life changes over major additions.

New tool: The Debugger
Clicking a wire placed in the world will highlight any disconnection or problem. Helpful for, well, debugging stuff like teleporters without laying down three times as much wire trying to fix it.
Alternatively, just make placed wires visible regardless of light level.

*cracks fingers* Let's see what I've got in my archive of suggestion threads.

[...time passes...]

Alright, here are my two biggest shots to fire at the 1.3.1 update in hopes of getting a hit. Enjoy! (Click on the links at the bottom of each section for more detail; I'm trying to post all of my ideas in a nutshell to see what piques interest, so details as to why/how might be left out!)

divider.png

I've been pondering over how I could possibly make wiring a bit less of a hassle, because wiring over long distances can be a pain, and so can wiring through walls, and trying to get everything done with as little wire as possible is especially difficult in these situations. How can this be solved?

red-nanite-wrench-png.126374
green-nanite-wrench-png.126384
blue-nanite-wrench-png.126370

Nanite Wrenches
* Casts Nanites to place wires.
* Extremely large placement area.
* Double placement rate.
+7 Range.

Whenever you use the Nanite Wrench, it casts a Nanite particle beam to the spot to assemble wires and components over a distance without any effort on your part! The color depends on what you're placing. Red, Green, and Blue variants of the Nanite Wrench cast their respective color when placing wire.

Nanite Wire Cutter
* Casts Nanites to remove wires at double the rate.
* Nanites will return wires right back to you.
+7 range.

This will make picking up after large wiring projects much faster and make your Nanite Wrench easier to handle.

Ever wanted to free your wiring creations from the limitations of Pressure Plates and switches? These are the solutions!

green-sensor-png.133816
purple-sensor-png.133818
orange-sensor-png.133817

Motion Sensors are a lot like Pressure Plates, and will emit a signal when triggered. They are attached to background Walls and activate when an appropriate entity passes in front of it. They come in different colors which react to friendly/enemy NPCs differently.

green-proximity-png.133821
blue-proximity-png.133819
red-proximity-png.133825

Proximity Detectors are special blocks which are triggered whenever a target walks within its proximity. They are placed like most other blocks. The range which they will be triggered is 4 blocks in any direction, creating a 9x9 block area in total. They come in different colors which react to friendly/enemy NPCs differently.

Traps and other one-shot devices will be fired whenever a target enters the radius. On/off toggle devices become active (or inactive, depending on its state when it was initially being connected) whenever at least one target is within the radius, and revert back when all targets leave.

The Proximity Sensor would have a special way of emitting signals to different types of receivers. When any target enters the proximity, it emits a normal signal, firing one-shot receivers (such as traps) and switching toggle devices (such as lights). However, signals emitted by new targets entering the radius ignore toggling receivers, and only affect one-shots. Likewise, another special signal is emitted when all targets leave the proximity, which ignores one-shot receivers and only affects toggle switches. If that went over your head, you probably should have skipped this paragraph.

If multiple Proximity Detectors are directly connected by the same color of Wire in a wiring system, their toggle effects will be linked, switching when any of them has a target withing its radius and switching back when all of them are vacated. This means that you can work around the limited proximity and cover larger areas.

divider.png

*finger crossing commences* I hope you guys see/like these ideas! I'd love to see what people make of them, and I'd love messing around with them myself! :D Have at it, and I hope the 1.3.1 Mechanics update is all I hope it will be and more!

Last edited:
  • Logic Gates
  • Delayers (Just to make rapid fire traps easier to make)
  • Hammering traps makes them fire diagonally and the half-slope block thing makes them fire downwards or upwards depending on the default firing direction of the trap
  • Pressure plates that trigger only when stepped on by Mobs not NPCs (tired of my house defense killing my NPCs)
  • Also pressure plates that trigger only when stepped on by NPCs
  • Wireless transmitters which use as much wire to craft as their maximal transmission range and something expensive to compenstate for not needing to place the wire yourself
  • Make the Mechanic accessible earlier PLEASE
  • Switches or targeget boards which activate when hit by attacks. Make variations in color and in which kind of attack is needed to activate them. Example: Magic switch (only activated when hit with magic), Melee switch (activated with melee attacks obviously), Ranged switch (Ranged attacks), Summon switch (This one is questionable but well for class equality) and Throwing Switch (This one should be the earliest one to be accquired by the player)
  • If possible a block that has an AoE which prevents bombs, dynamite and rockets from exploding (For the people who blow their base up all the time or against griefers)
  • Mob totems (Rather bad naming/explanation of mine). Crafted from a mob banner, a water candle, 30 wire, 30 bones and 15 wood. Makes a different one if crafted with other mob banners. Increases the spawn rate for mobs whose banner was used in the crafting recipe. Or could be crafted without the banner but just being able to hand a banner on the totem works the same. Needs to be activated to generate an AoE buff which increases the spawn rate of said mob by 30%, and decreasing the spawn rate of all other mobs by 15% for 5 seconds. Effects of multiple totems do not stack only the right-most will take effect. (Needs to be wired to a timer to make it more functional, just to compensate for the really great effect)
  • The angel statue should spawn little white angel-like lights that go through blocks hovering above mobs for a few seconds then bursting and damaging the mob for it's own attack stat. (Does not work on bosses)
  • More wrenches
  • Spectre wire cutters and wrenches in different colors crafted the same as spectre paintbursh and paint roller. Same use just double the range or whole screen range but slower placing speed.
  • Lunar wrench, crafted with luminite bars and all the wrenches in all different colors. Has greater range than normal wrenches much faster placing speed and can be right-clicked to scroll through wrench colors. Also luminite wire cutter, greater range and very very fast wire removing speed.
  • Mechanisms that can move items, mobs, npcs and players. Something like fans or something just no pistons so Minecraft fanboys can't hate on terraria implementing the same :red: as minecraft) Will blow away everything in the direction it faces at a medium speed also mobs that can get knocked back will slowly be pusshed away if they try to walk against the stream, wont work on knockback resistant enemies. Also vaccuum fans or whatever xD which just pull everything instead of pushing it. Activated and deactivated with wire signals.
  • High voltage box would be placed on a wire anywhere between the switch and the activated thing to make it more powerful, like higher damage output for traps and stronger streams for fans. Could be crafted with 10 iron bars, a bucket of water and 20 gold coins (fer da conductivity) Or just add a new item dropped from something, like a lightning in a box.. you get the idea.
  • I HOPE my ideas are not too stupid I know some of them are pretty stupid but well they are all something I would like to see in-game :3

- Sensors that detect players, mobs, dropped items (?), projectiles, liquids, even waterfalls!
- A tool with which you set a point A and a point B and it automatically connects them with wire.
- Endless Wire Supply: Crafted with 4 stacks of wire at a crystal ball. Works like the endless quiver and the endless musket pouch, but it contains wire.
- Switches that require keys.
- A tool which will be used on wire or any device to act as a portable switch.
- Hoiks X Wires (?)

Another idea while reading a one-way teleporter idea: just make a teleporter exit-only item, that you can only exit from. Nothing goes back through, it's just an exit.

A 2-block thing. One part of it is input, the other is output. Output sends a value/activates something. There can be multiple inputs and/or outputs if necessary.
But last time I checked, logic gates as we know them rely on something having two states: on and off. In Terraria though, wires don't work that way. Instead they just send a pulse, which is something completely different.

I don't know if it's been suggested, but I was thinking about some LDR/Photodiode (light-dependent switch), which basically activates based on the time of day. I thought it could be useful for simple mechanism like lights etc, or even more complex ones like traps, since different enemies spawn on different times.

Honestly, i would want wiring to be more practical in more situations, such as fishing, farming, grinding, stuff like that.
Also, for existing more complex wiring stuff to be MUCH SIMPLER, for sillies like me.

I'm not much of a mechanic in Terraria, but here are some ideas:

Elevator Rails
These rails can be placed on walls, and will carry platforms made of blocks, which are connected together through "elevator connectors"*. Activating the rail through wire will cause the platform to move forwards, until reaching the end, and will stop. If activated again, they will move in the opposite direction until reaching the end, and so on and so forth.

Putting an elevator rail in a loop will cause the platform to move in a loop endlessly, granted that a constant connection is maintained. Should the connection be stopped, the platform will stopped where it is.

*alternative idea: Instead of connected blocks, these platforms only use special "elevator blocks" or rideable lifts that have a set width.

Wire Cutoff
A block that allows wire to pass through it from left to right. It maintains the state of the wire unless activated by another wire from above.

Button
Like a switch, but only activates wires for a second or so.

Conveyor Belts
Will move both mobs and items, depending on the direction the belts are facing. Activated by wire.

Vaccum & Tubes
Tubes can be placed like wires, and they connect to chests. When activated by a wire, the tube will take items out of one chest, and place them into another. The direction that the tubes move items can be changed. If a tube is not connected on one end, it will not work. (Alternatively, it will dump the item out on the floor!)

Vaccums can be connected to tubes, and when activated draw in all items within a 3-block radius. When collected, they send items to the chest they are connected to.

Turret
Turrets can be used to defend a base, but they have limited health. Should the break, the player will need to re-activate them, which will take about 5-10 seconds, without getting interrupted. They also fail to function during boss fights, meaning that you cannot simply just "buy" your way to victory.

A few Turret types:
  • Dynasty Turret - Fires wooden arrows can only fire directly left or directly right.
    Deals 5 damage, and has 50 HP.
    Made using 100 Dynasty wood 20 Silk and 50 Clay Blocks.
  • Iron/Lead Turret - Fires Bullets, and can only fire directly left or directly right.
    Deals 10 damage, and has 100 HP and 5 defense.
    Made using 50 Iron or Lead bars, and 20 wire.
  • Hallowed Turret - Fires arrows, and can fire in all directions.
    Deals 27 Damage, and has 200 HP and 15 Defense.
    Made from 20 Hallowed bars, 20 wire and Illegal Gun Parts.
  • Security Turret - Fires rapid bullets, can fire in all directions, and must be placed on the ceiling.
    Deals 10 damage per bullet, and has 100 HP with 10 defense.
    Made using 20 Shroomite bars, 20 wire and a black lens.
Statue Activations

Activating certain statues will cause the surrounding environment to change, similar to the monoliths.
  • Activating a Gloom Statue will cause the surrounding environment to become gloomy and foggy, as well as make the surroundings darker.
  • Activating a Tree Statue will cause the surrounding environment to gain a greenish tint, as well as gain particle effects that resemble fireflies and leaves.
  • Activating a Corrupt Statue will cause the surrounding environment to gain a purplish tint, as well as become hazy.
  • Activating an Imp Statue will cause the surrounding environment to gain a reddish-orangish tint, as well as become smoky. It also gains particle effects that resemble embers.
  • Activating a Reaper Statue will cause the surrounding environment to become cloudy, and have the occasional lightning strike in the background.
  • Activating a Sunflower Statue will cause the surrounding environment to become sunnier and brighter.
  • Activating an Anvil Statue will cause the surrounding environment to gain a slight sepia-tan tint, as well gain dust clouds.
Activating other statues cause other effects.
  • Activating a pot statue creates an empty pot somewhere within a 100 block radius.
  • Activating a potion statue clears the potion effects of anyone standing within a 5 block radius.
  • Activating an eyeball statue will spawn a demon eye. It drops no items other than cash.
  • Activating a hornet statue spawns a hornet. It drops no items other than cash.
  • Activating a goblin statue spawns a goblin. It drops no items other than cash.
  • Activating a cross statue will cause a ghost to spawn. It drops no items other than cash.
  • Activating a gargoyle statue will cause all players within a 5 block radius to have the "Stoned" effect placed on them. Will only be activated every 20 seconds.
  • Activating the woman statue temporarily changes the gender of anyone standing within a 5 block radius, for 10 seconds.
  • Activating an angel statue does nothing, because that would kill the joke.
Pillar Fountains
By combining "Pure Water Fountains" with respective fragments, you are able to create either a Vortex Fountain, a Nebula Fountain, a Solar Fountain or a Stardust Fountain.
All of the water changed by these fountains glows in the pillar's respective color.

Pillar Lamps
Light sources for each of the pillars.

Large Doors & Gates
Simply doors that are larger than their counterparts. They may or may not take more time to open.

Locked doors
Doors that can only be opened and shut depending on the condition they're set to.
Either:
  1. Anyone can open them.
  2. Only the person with the correct name can open them.
Biome Protector
Creates a 20 block area that when activated, does not allow for biome spread of any kind, whether it's Corruption, Crimson or Hallow.

I request

martian conduit traps from Martian plating.

more actuators

early game wiring (wiring without mechanic.)

Ability to find wrenches and cutters in gold chests. (No wires or actuators included.)

wire rope.

Last edited:
I think the best solution for allowing simple logic gates to be made would be to change the way wires work.
Instead of propogating a pulse, wires would store an on or off state. Then a not gate item would be all that is required to make logic circuits of any complexity (one not gate feeding into another to make a diode, two diodes feeding into one not gate to make a nor gate, then combinations of nor gates to make any logic circuit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate#Universal_logic_gates). Of course having other gates as items would greatly simplify things.
A not gate would even be usefull as a colour changer for wires. If you want two red wires to cross but not affect each other, use a not gate to change one of them to another colour, cross the other red wire, and then another not gate to change it back to red.
Both Minecraft and Starbound have wires that store state, not gates, and wires that can cross over each other. These three things allow for the creation of immense logic circuits. The best method in Terraria currently is the use of the hoik glitch, which is rather more limited.

1. more wrench colors
2. more wire types. Mabey a wire coil (Like rope coil)
3. more wrenches (like spectre wrench, lunar wrench, etc)
4. wireless transmitter (50 gold. link 2 together with a rainbow wrench (number 8))
5. a custom weapon launcher? (right click on launcher to make it shoot said weapon. must be ranged. cannot rapid fire)
6. transport tubes and depositors. insead of people using hoiking glitches, transport tubes move items from one place to another. depositors puts items from tubes into chests
7. pressure plate customization. change the pressure plate settings where only specific monsters, players, or items can activate it. same with switches.
8. Rainbow wrench. used for connecting 2 wireless transmitters together. make a custom color so the wiring always go to the right thing.
That's all for now. :|

I would be interested in seeing a couple of things.

• Snickerbobble's Fluorescent Light Beams implemented in the game.
  • Sensors that allow you to detect different things and toggle a wire signal (if players are nearby, enemies, water is touching it, and other options).
  • Turret with weapon mounts (fires the weapon in a direction/at enemies when enabled).
  • A block type that removes Portals when walked through, can be toggled via wire.
  • More wrench types.
  • Prebuilt/item based logic gates.
  • More types of wire items (tractor beams, item dispensers, etc).
  • Item movement tubes and similar items (similar to the Buildcraft mod for Minecraft).
Not directly wire related desires

• Portal guns can be placed on weapon mounts.
  • A way to set blocks to be non-portal compatible.
  • Some way to mark a particular enemy/entity to not despawn (doesn't work on bosses).
  • Item that when clicked or activated via wire produces a message in chat.
  • New types of signs (belonging to all the decorative items and some metal based or tech looking ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom