Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the long distance and placement hassles how about a "coil of wire". You place one wire down then you can run all over the map wherever you want to place the next wire down and it auto connects the two.

Wi-Fi would be good too but at least with the coil you have to purchase and use all that wire.

It would be great if you could coil wire in a similar way to rope, to speed up linking long distance mechanisms. A horizontal coil would place wire sideways, depending on what direction you're facing. Vertical coils would be placed depending on if the cursor is above or below the player. Perhaps you could also make coils of various sizes.

Also please fix cloudsaving.

Here's another thing I'd want:

-Automatic turrets/sentries. Everything from permanent dragons roosting on your castle towers to turrets from Portal. So 'permanent summon' turrets, and ammo turrets they use ammo or drain mana.

I think the best solution for allowing simple logic gates to be made would be to change the way wires work.
Instead of propogating a pulse, wires would store an on or off state. Then a not gate item would be all that is required to make logic circuits of any complexity (one not gate feeding into another to make a diode, two diodes feeding into one not gate to make a nor gate, then combinations of nor gates to make any logic circuit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate#Universal_logic_gates). Of course having other gates as items would greatly simplify things.
A not gate would even be usefull as a colour changer for wires. If you want two red wires to cross but not affect each other, use a not gate to change one of them to another colour, cross the other red wire, and then another not gate to change it back to red.
Both Minecraft and Starbound have wires that store state, not gates, and wires that can cross over each other. These three things allow for the creation of immense logic circuits. The best method in Terraria currently is the use of the hoik glitch, which is rather more limited.
I'm not sure if that would be worth breaking current builds, which rely on toggling wires. I think it would be better to add another system with on off states that exists alongside the current wires, maybe that new system can rely on light beams or something.

Electrical Lantern All Gem Color Versions.
Crafted with: 2 of Any Gem, 1 Lantern. Crafted 1

Item Thrower, or if you wanna be more specific then call is a Dispenser.
Crafted with: 5 Iron Bars, 5 Wire, 10 Stone Blocks. Crafted 5
Has 9 storage slots and when Activated, will shoot out an item. Can be faced in any direction

Block Piston.
Crafted with: 2 Iron Bars, 10 Wire, 5 wood, 5 Stone Blocks. Crafted: 5
Will push up to 6 Blocks. If there are more then 6 blocks in the way, it cannot be activated. Can be faced in any direction.

Electric Halter.
Crafted with: 2 Marble, 5 Wire, 2 Iron Bars, 1 5 Second Timer. Crafted: 3
Will halt Power coming from the wires for a curtain amount of time. Players can set that time to 1-5 Seconds.

Note: These items are really meant for Adventure Maps. Players like to make Adventure Maps for Terraria.

Wow! Everyone has massive lists. I don't know if anyone has said this before but...

Minecart Tracks can be crafted with pressure plates to activate things...

Also! Make something like a item that can hold and drop items when given a wire signal...

(Yes these are a copy cat of Minecraft, but I need these for amazing experiments)

1.sunlight sensors
2.fluid sensors

Thats all I got for now that I haven't seen in the suggestions already.

EDIT: I just thought of adding like turbines and belts that connect them

Last edited:
New idea: Elecrtic cage: If you trigger it, you will be stuck in a cage until you deactivate it, or in ten seconds.

Uses: Puzzle maps and Trapping.

You can attack from the outside but they can't, rendering the enemy useless unless they can shoot through walls :D.
EMP's of any type can deactivate this trap.

It also only absorbs 500 damage before the electric gate cuts off.

Inspired off of "Flooder" in Splatoon.

Last edited:
For the love of Redigit, give us the ability to craft a diode (just like in minecraft) so we can set up delays and make NOT logic gates. With NOT gates, we can make all the others.

PLS !!!

A way to generate non-merchant NPC's just for the sake of populating the world! I can imagine a pretty customizable way of doing this using wiring that would also be pretty cohesive with other game mechanics:

Add a special type of 'living-mannequin'. (maybe craftable from living wood and/or fleshblocks and/or pixie dust and/or fallen stars and/or something dropped from Frankenstein's Monster and/or souls of light/dark/flight/etc...) that can be wired up to a switch. When activated it will create an NPC that lives around that mannequin. You could randomly generate the physical appearance...or even better you could allow the user to dress-up, paint, and dye the mannequin to determine the spawned NPC's appearance. Ooo, we could even get the hairstylist/clothier to give each NPC the full range of customizability that a player has. Either giving the hairstylist more wigs to purchase (one per selectable hairstyle), and the clothier more garments (one per selectable outfit). Or somehow allow the player to buy a haircut/change of clothes for the newly spawned NPC from the hairstylist/clothier (or a dresser).

There's a few things I thought of to make wiring more useful/ easier.

More wire colors: There's only red, blue and green wire right now, the rest of the team colors as wires would be really useful for more complicated things.

Wireless Transmitters: Able to transmit a signal when activated to another one with the same frequency, could look like a two block wide timer with a letter from A-F and number from 0-9 that can be changed by right clicking the letter or number side, would make teleporters a lot easier to use.

One-Way Teleporters: Teleporters that can only send/ receive something so mobs won't keep teleporting between two teleporters and going nowhere when lots of them are activating them.

There's probably a couple more things but I can't think of anything else right now.

I'm not sure if that would be worth breaking current builds, which rely on toggling wires. I think it would be better to add another system with on off states that exists alongside the current wires, maybe that new system can rely on light beams or something.

I think having two wiring systems would be too complicated. With the addition of a switch/button that stays on for some time after being pressed, and then resets, most current simple mechanisms would work the same way, and probably even be wired the same way, and any larger mechanisms would be better if they were rebuilt to take advantage of "stateful" wires anyway. Overall I think "stateful" wires wouldn't affect people who use wires for traps, simple autofarms, etc. but would allow the inclined to create large logic circuits.

Last edited:
umm... TURRETS ANYONE!?!?!
laser turrets, bullet turrets, turrets that shoot darts, turrets that shoot rockets
also electric weapons/armor that uses batteries and that could be charged up externally?
THERE IS NO END PEOPLE

I think having two wiring systems would be too complicated. With the addition of a switch/button that stays on for some time after being pressed, and then resets, most current simple mechanisms would work the same way, and probably even be wired the same way, and any larger mechanisms would be better if they were rebuilt using "stateful" wires anyway. Overall I think "stateful" wires wouldn't affect people who use wires for traps, simple autofarms, etc. but would allow the inclined to create large logic circuits.
It wouldn't be that complicated as long as the two systems are different enough so that people can't get them confused, the second one doesn't even have to be wire based. Also, there's still a few things that are a lot simpler to make with the current system like doors and light switches with multiple inputs.

Conveyor belts, which move NPCs, mobs & dropped items.
Logic gates could be very useful.
I guess pistons could be pretty cool but I don't know how they would work in Terraria.
Lasers and laser switches perhaps? Not the pew pew kind of lasers but more like a laser beam.

Also I'm pretty sure active/inactive stone blocks were basically useless since actuators became a thing.
Maybe they can be replaced with actuators so the blocks under a boulder can be something else than stone,
to make the trap less obvious in some biomes (Corruption, Crimson, Granite, Marble, Jungle etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom