Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, how about a light switch, where you have a room with multiple switches and they are all wired together with torches that light up the room. Right now since wires don't have an on-off state, you could use any switch in the room to turn the lights on or off. If that was changed though, the setup would change into a big OR logic gate where the lights stay on if any switches are active. The only way to change it to work how it did before would be to bring all the inputs into another logic gate that changes it's state when any of the switches are used and then connect that to the lights.

Ok, that could be acheived simply if there were push button and t flip-flop https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_(electronics)#T_flip-flop items. Place a t flip-flop below each light and wire the output of the flip-flop to the light. Then wire all the (clock) inputs to the flip-flops together and to the push buttons. Whenever a push button is pressed, a pulse is sent into the inputs of the flip-flops, toggleing them, and so toggleing the lights. (This is only needed if lights are changed to reflect the state of the wire, otherwise all that would be needed is to replace the switches with push buttons)
If flip-flops are invisible in the same way as actuators and wire, then it would even look the same, except for using push buttons instead of switches

I seriously love mechanic and wiring stuffs, i loved to temples filled with traps, over 10.000 wires in only one room, jenosis is witness xD
But i never though about a inovation :x
Lies, i always had a lot of ideas but it's been a long time i forgot them all!! omg. I'll post below some ideas that i remember, new ideas and ideas of my cousin.

-When you guys said in the first 1.3 update "we can hammer traps to change their directions" i though you guys was talking about: Making dart traps able to shot vertical or horizontal speartrap, hat could be an idea, also slope them for diagonal shoot.

-More variations of traps and craftable traps:
[Note] I don't give DMG on those below because i can't balance them, this is developer thing, i just give ideas xD

Stone Dart Trap - Common darts from underground and caves (cause poison) DMG 20
Craftable? Yes - 4 Stone block, 1 poison dart 10 (?), 5 wire.
Lihzahrd Dart Trap - Still the same, same strenght (40) Craftable with lihzahrd bricks.

Ebondart trap - Ebonstone block 4 + Cursed flame + Dart *new item for craft traps?*
10 + 5 wire.

Ebonflame trap - Ebonstone block 4 + Cursed flame 10 + 5 wire. debuff cursed inferno
Ebonspear trap - Ebonstone block 4 + Cursed flame 1 + 10 wood + 5 wire.

Martian dart trap - Mar.Condu.Pla. 4 + Martian dart 10 (?) + wire. {Shoot a martian-like dart that gives Electrified debuff}

Martian Laser Trap - Mar.Condu.Pla. 4 + Eletron 10 (New item like cursed flames/Ichor?) + wire {Shoot a small but wide laser beam that pierce through 10 enemies, electrified debuff}

Martian cage trap - Mar.Condu.Pla. 4 + Eletron 10 + wood 10 + 5 wire {work as spear trap, but when touch the block, stand for a moment doing damage on contact and the debuff electrified}

As you noticed, a biome/block - themed traps. I will stop from now on because it's a lot of ideas. xD down there will be something less killable and more mechanic.

Another idea for trap that doesn't make part of wiring systems is spikes that actually hurt both players, NPCs and mobs -_-

Last edited:
Awesome! Wiring NEEDS some expansion. I've got some ideas. Some aren't my own, but most are. :)
  • I saw an Antlion Wrench somewhere in here (from Sheldon Cooper ISP.) Yes, please! We have an entire biome with every monster dropping Antlion Mandibles, yet they're nearly useless. Other fancy wrenches, too.
  • Wireless power is a popular one, and for good reason! It'd be best as either post-Plantera or post-Golem. Post-Moon Lord feels too late, however.
  • One-way Teleporters: Simply, it has two modes, switched by hammering the central block: sending and receiving. It's fairly obvious what these do. By default, they are set to sending mode. Sending mode has an arrow pointing up, while receiving mode has an arrow pointing down.
  • Conveyor Belts: Little tiles that move entities and items. Direction is determined on what direction the player is facing. Only players are capable of going downwards through them, like platforms. Has three tiers of movement speed, determined by the colour of the bar under it. Green (default) is half of walking speed, yellow is walking speed, and red is double the walking speed. It's speed can be changed with a hammer. Placing a conveyor next to a yellow or red conveyor will automatically set it to the appropriate colour. It's toggled with wire, but off by default.
  • Bumpers: Works very well with conveyor belts! Bumpers will knockback any entity or item with the same velocity that it was touched at. When on a slope, bumpers will alter direction if impact is made on that slope. While not directly related to wires, it'd be helpful for vertical transport with conveyors. Also, trampolines. May or may not negate fall damage.
  • Water Wheel: A mechanism that gives off a signal (and animation) when touched by flowing water or honey. It's destroyed by lava.
  • Signal Delayer: Don't know if there's a proper name for this, so I'll just go with Signal Delayer. If it wasn't obvious, it causes a slight delay in signal, allowing for interesting effects.
  • Powered Switch: A little device that cuts off the signal of a certain wire colour. There is a variant for each type of wire. When placed, it will block the signal of all wires, except for a wire with the same colour (or the other way around.) When it receives a signal from the appropriate wire, it becomes active, allowing other signals to pass through. It'd work well for making puzzles.
  • More functions for statues. Nuff said.
  • Abductor: Pulls you up into the air with an abduction beam. What'd you expect? By default, has a range of 50 blocks, but can be expanded by stacking these, though all must be actuated (except for the top one.) Bought from the Steampunker or Cyborg after the Martian Madness event has been completed. It would be visually similar to the beams from Snickerbobble's fluorescent light beams, which should also be a feature. Perfect for UFOs!
  • More Traps: Some powered, some not. For example:
    • Sentry: Horizontal firing. Capable of moving 45 degrees upwards or downwards. Craftable/Buyable.
    • Grenade Trap: Drops grenades from the ceiling that do no tile damage. Craftable.
    • Glue Trap/Gel Trap; Sprays glue/gel on a target. Craftable/Buyable
    • More Flame Traps: From weakest to strongest - Cursed, Frostfire, Shadowflame. All can be crafted with a flame trap and additional resources.
    • Pitfall Trap: Looks like a pile of leaves. When an entity or item touches the top of it, it collapses. Conceals what's below it if the pit is fully concealed. One-time use. Craftable. Very cheap to produce.
    • Hatch Trap: The hardmode upgrade to the Pitfall Trap. Behaves in the same way. Reusable. Craftable.
  • The ability to craft Lihzahrd traps with Lihzahrd Bricks and various other resources.
I'll expand this as I think of more things. ;)

Here are some good suggestions from other threads:
(Only one)

Last edited:
Wires with an actual binary on/off state (like real-life communication wires, e.g. phone lines, ethernet, ...)

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, I haven't read all of the comments, but if you're not going to rework the current wiring system (which is fine for several "simple" mechanics), the most important thing is adding those as a new type of wire, opening the door for logic gates with little to no effort. Of course you'd risk minceraft / starbound / ... fanboys claiming you stole it from their favourite game, but really, that's the way it works in the real world because it just works.

Side note: I must say you guys have done an awesome job so far with 1.3 (and terraria as a whole, easily one of my top 5 games for value/price and time spent)!

Please add a Wire Roll sold by the Mechanic after beating the Golem or so, whereas you set a point A and point B and it will automatically place as much wire as it can between those two points. (Not my idea)

Additionally add some more unique and crazy traps to have fun with in the Lihzard Temple. And maybe some more statue uses. (Corrupt statue, goblin statue, and Demon Eye statues for example) :D

Wires with an actual binary on/off state (like real-life communication wires, e.g. phone lines, ethernet, ...)

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, I haven't read all of the comments, but if you're not going to rework the current wiring system (which is fine for several "simple" mechanics), the most important thing is adding those as a new type of wire, opening the door for logic gates with little to no effort. Of course you'd risk minceraft / starbound / ... fanboys claiming you stole it from their favourite game, but really, that's the way it works in the real world because it just works.

Side note: I must say you guys have done an awesome job so far with 1.3 (and terraria as a whole, easily one of my top 5 games for value/price and time spent)!
Yes it has been mentioned a few times already which is good :)
What do you think about wires with state replacing the current wires?

@ZeroGravitas ... this update is for you.
Why, thanks for the head's up! {blushing_emoji} Be warned, however, that my thoughts and feelings on this topic are (perhaps oddly) a little conservative. o_O:)
I imagine @Loki may already have hooked you guys up, then, but here's our old 1.3 wiring suggestions thread started by @DicemanX at the end of last year (for anyone else who fancies a look too): http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...ing-view-the-devs-are-looking-for-ideas.6362/

Lots of good ideas, and many popular ones being repeated above (I started writing this post when we were at page 8 - it's moving too fast for my old brain). A couple of examples in common:
  • Extra wire colours - seems overwhelmingly popular. I'm not too bothered either way, but if we do get more then quality of life/usability add-ons are going to be a necessity:
    • Multi-coloured wrench tool (as an option, like @Leinfors suggested above, and other elsewhere).
    • Colour specific wire cutters (e.g. suggested by @ZemmySix here). The raised use rate of cutters make it impossible to cut only the top wire colour, and you already had to remove green and blue to get at red, etc.
    • The ability to highlight one wire colour (or hide the others), a mechanic related gear item, etc. (Perhaps the ability to see wiring on maps?)
  • Logic Gates...
Yoraiz0r has mention logic gates a lot, pretty sure this is something we will be looking into.
... Is the suggestion I'm perhaps most concerned about people getting what they ask for, but not what they would have wanted. It could be easy to give too much power too simply, making more inventive and interesting solutions obsolete. I've also seen logic gates implemented in other games as if they were copy-pasted from a bad circuit simulator program, not in fitting with the context and too boring and abstract for people to actually bother using. I've been of the opinion that generally, us wiring enthusiasts have more than enough ways of making control systems, 'engines' and and the like, but relatively few things to justify their use...

Conversely, there are arguments that complex statue mob (or 'hoik') based mechanisms are a luxury for advanced wiring enthusiasts only. Also, it's invariably true that more complex components beget more complex possibilities (previously unimagined). But necessity is the mother of invention, not convenience. Without certain in-game difficulties many wouldn't bother turning to automation and it would have far less appeal in general.
some type of command block like item for maps.
Again, could be super-powerful, but devastate use of all other mechanisms, depending (note: I'm not really familiar with Minecraft).

I'm also a wet blanket in urging caution over implementing even seemingly small changes when it comes to wire activation. At the moment every wire event has to be triggered directly by a player (with a switch) or NPC (on a pressure plate), which means that all clever automation devices need birds, bunnies, monsters (or other weird NPC entities) moving about in there, all being a little absurd and wonderful. If traps, or some other device is able to activate wires directly then you may suddenly not need any of that eccentricity any more, it could all be just blocks clicking back and forth, lights flashing on and off, like one of the massive Minecraft computers of YouTube land.

I'm not entirely against such an expansion of possibilities; it would definitely be exciting!:happy: And it's probably possible to have both (old and new types), if done very carefully (e.g. by ensuring long cool-downs on the relevant traps, or suchlike. Examples of this kind of auto-activation:
Anyway...
something like this
...You meant the weather machine or wireless teleporters? I think the wrench speed boost and smart cursor has made long distance wiring easier than most people realise. And I imagine it would be difficult to implement an arbitrary number of wireless point-to-point transfer systems in an elegant fashion. Even if you were to limit it to a unique item, with only 2 end-points, it would still be crazy powerful, letting you effectively carry around your entire base in your pocket! (Of course the portal gun already is that, pretty much.)

I'd also kinda like to know if conventional teleporters are going to be changed (or the entire wiring algorythms overalled) from the perspective of the teleporter tutorial(s) I've been (endeavouring) to produce. (I.e. will it be back to the drawing board in a couple months?:confused:)

device that sends a signal when a plant blooms inside of it (for blood moon detectors, nighttime defense systems, etc)
Is the kind of unlikely mechanism I'd like to see. To avoid making a device a boring box with "bloodmoon detector" written on, requiring a little bit of discovery and suprise. A more subtle, indirect way of interfacing with plant blooming would be even more fun, I think.
I believe adding item sorting will greatly expand the possibilities of mechanisms, as in the ability to move around items between different areas using mechanisms. Things like conveyor belts/item pipes, item collectors, a mechanism that pulls items out of chests, etc.
Very cool area with many possibilities. The popular consensus seems to have been that 1.3 has so far nerfed auto-farming in general (via various direct and indirect consequences), if things swing back the other way then these kinds of mechanics might make great options. Item hoiks are surprisingly workable, but fiddly and selective, so a conveyor or some kind might be nifty.

Storing to chests directly might be over-powered, except that a player needs to be around anyway for monsters to turn up in the wild. Dumping items out of chests (or special mechanism) might be even more interesting. Or automatically using items: I'm itching to see some bright spark automate the entire game progression sequence :naughty:, but summoning of some bosses seems to be the biggest obstacle (requiring player clicks).

Dumping out activated bombs, or drilling the block below, or some other mechanism that modifies (some) tile types in the world would be awesome! Fully AFK obsidian farms for a starter. Placing blocks would also be amazing, but far trickier/messier to implement, I think...

I was very pleased to see natural minecart tracks in worlds now (scouting them out and connecting them up is a hoot), and smart cursor is great for playing long distance routes (albeit a menace in confined areas!). I wonder if even more use could be made of these existing rails, in lieu of completely new 'conveyor belts', for example (or in addition:D). Use them in place of 'pipes', such that they might ferry auto harvested plants, wood, etc. I'm a little hazy on this, but I have visions of them shunting up together (perhaps too many readings of the 'Troublesome Trucks' Thomas the Tank Engine story, as a kid). Any way of getting non-player carts on tracks would be fantastic for the virtually non-existant field of 'tracktronics' too. I think there's a lot of unused potential in the minecart system, with many wire-heads not even knowing that junction states (and boosters) can be flipped.

A few other cool things:
An accessory that sets blocks in the inactive state
Definitely useful for decorative building, but also for de-bugging machines that use actuated blocks.
Wired Dummy - activates when attacked.
Dummies are very cool already ;) but they are ripe for more direct wiring mechanisms too: another suggestion above was for a wire impulse to activate them to attract minion targeting, etc (you might sit armour on them too, for damage modifier...?). But sending a signal when 'injured' would be even better - an alternative to trap activated plates, it would close that loop in an interesting way, allow lava detection, various things.

I like the sounds of freeze traps and any other myriad possibility. I was a little disappointed that 1.3.0 had no new traps worked into the event progression. Too difficult to find a place to world generate (or dynamically spawn) a 3rd tier of 'dungeon'? A few more active statues would be easy and cool, but the great variety of possible mob speeds for machine activations, makeshift sensors and such is already fairly under-used.

Anyway, sorry for the MEGA-POST!...

In summary: please can we have lots more devices to control, more input/output possibilities. What I most want to see is zany, Terraria style pseudo-wiring mechanics, in fitting with the existing context but perhaps even more weird and wonderful.:)

Last edited:
Sun Timer / Moon Timer

It's just a timer that activates during the day/night. So you could hook all your lights up to the Moon Timer, and when it becomes night, the timer turns "on". All your lights would turn on. When it becomes day, the Moon Timer shuts "off". Reverse for Sun Timer.

Shouldn't be too hard to implement, as day/night exists and timers exist already.

Lots of this has probably already been mentioned, but I'm too lazy to read everything, and new stuff will be posted by the time I finish writing this...
  • Make wires have actual on/off instead of pulses, like NightFantom said.
  • Or Gates, And Gates, Xor Gates, Flip-Flops, other miscellaneous logic things
  • Sensors, like daytime/nighttime, liquid, nearby player etc.
  • Something that can check whether a block is on/off.
  • Endgame wireless transmitter
  • Diodes?
  • Make lights only on when powered, instead of being switched by a pulse. If they're not connected to a wire, they work as normal.
Also, pumps that don't decrease or increase the amount of liquid when used.

My suggestion: Wire Coils

I know for me, placing wires can be a real pain. Even in a small world, I wanted teleporters to get me across the world seamlessly. But taking time to place the wires one by one might have even taken as much time as the accumulated time of traveling to and from those various areas many times - making teleportation SETUP practically redundant.

Like Rope Coils, Wire Coils would allow the player to place down a long amount of wires rather easily and could speed up placement of wires significantly. Having to place wires one at a time, especially when having wires connected across an entire map, can be amazingly tedious and time-consuming. A Wire Coil could save a lot of time and effort.

How it would work: Go ahead and place a piece of wire or two and then you would place the Wire Coil on the side of the placed wire that you would like it to go (up, down, left, or right). The Wire Coil would consist of 10 wires (just like a Rope Coil consists of 10 ropes). And when you place down the coil, all 10 wires (the Wire Coil) would be placed instantly in a straight line in the direction you want it to go. Placing wires 10 blocks at a time rather than 1, especially with speed and building potions (and building accessories potentially), could speed up the tedious placement a ton, saving you a lot of time and effort. You can get that wire across your entire map perhaps in half the time or even much less!

I imagine to use it, instead of a Wrench, there would be a specialized type of wrench tool to place the coil, or some other way involving the Wrench.

Yes it has been mentioned a few times already which is good :)
What do you think about wires with state replacing the current wires?
My bad then, I read over the first few pages and didn't see it explicitly stated, only implicitly (references to starbound's wiring etc).

Replacing it should be relatively easy, but really hard to not break everything that's already in place, which is why I'm more inclined to "add" a layer of wire mechanics. At the same time, the current wire mechanics are plenty for most everyday tasks, and stateful wires would probably complicate that.

And @ZeroGravitas makes a good point: it would lose all of the eccentricity and fun of the current builds, albeit much more useful for huge projects.

Already posted this on reddit:

More input methods - Certain pressure plates alternating on/off states instead of pulses. Detectors for rain, light and invasions (requiring materials dropped by invasion mobs). Photoelectric barriers.

Logic gates - To combine multiple inputs/outputs. Deactivate a set of of pressure plates with a switch, make one teleporter with a dozen destinations. Endgame materials might allow for programmable microchips, once placed they can be programmed by right-clicking them with PDA/Cell Phone. Uses a simple script language (if (west-redwire) toggle east-bluewire;) or lots of checkboxes.

More colors
- Obvious, but will require the next one to be feasible:

Microelectronics zoom accessory - Allows the player to toggle a 2x zoom by pressing RMB, incompatible with other accessories with RMB-actions. When zoomed in a grid will be displayed as well as all wire colors currently present in each tile, with multiple colors running parallel. Tiles containing multiple wires will have a twisted pair look when zoomed out.

Access port - Endgame placeable. Right-clicking it with PDA/Cell Phone opens a prompt to name and access connected wires. Can also name groups of connected wires for easier handling.

Wireless controls - Remote control as rare random hardmode drops. Drops are assigned a random digit (1-9), once found the mechanic will sell matching receivers. Activating the remote control from the hotbar will toggle the power of all receivers with the same number. 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9 can be combined, the three resulting remotes as well to a final gadget. Bundled remotes will open a window when activated, containing their respective digits as buttons.

Wireless connectors - Late hardmode element, sold for at least 1 plat. Right-click with PDA/Cell Phone to set frequency.

Definately room for improvement, I am an electrical engineer and here are some of my random ideas that may be interesting for the game:

WIring system ideas:

Cables - two or more individual wires in one lead, This would reduce the amount of wires into one consolidated thing. 2 - 8 conductors craftable and so on.
Junction Boxes - For cables to break out to individual wires.
Point to point wire laying & Wire Spools - click a point with a tool and then goto another point and click and your wire or cable is laid out via wire spool.
Logic gates - Programmable chips to do simple things like allow only certain players or NPC access to things or be able to build complex things.
Timers - Chips that are programmable to do I/O at set times like open doors, etc.
Device power - As it stands Terraria has an infinite power supply, Maybe in hard mode you should be required to supply power via generator or batteries that will need refueling or charging after some time.
One way wires - wire and wire spools that can be set with a tool to directional or bi-directional.

New tools or rework of current tools :

Pliers - mouse 1 = lay wire, Mouse 2, remove wire
Cable pliers - For use when working with cable
Wrench = mouse 1 = set one way, mouse 1 again set other direction, mouse 2 = set bi-directional
Cable Wrench - For use when working with Cable and individual wires in cables to set directions and so on.
Wire / Cable tester - Checks for breaks in wire and gives distance.
Wire / Cable meter - Gives info on the specific wire or conductor in a cable and its current I/O state (active or inactive).

My bad then, I read over the first few pages and didn't see it explicitly stated, only implicitly (references to starbound's wiring etc).

Replacing it should be relatively easy, but really hard to not break everything that's already in place, which is why I'm more inclined to "add" a layer of wire mechanics. At the same time, the current wire mechanics are plenty for most everyday tasks, and stateful wires would probably complicate that.

And @ZeroGravitas makes a good point: it would lose all of the eccentricity and fun of the current builds, albeit much more useful for huge projects.
If currently placed switches were replaced with push buttons, which is really what switches currently are, then I think alot of things would work the same way, except lights if they where changed. The problem I have with different kinds of wires is how to explain that to the player

I saw an Antlion Wrench somewhere in here. Yes, please! We have an entire biome with every monster dropping Antlion Mandibles, yet they're nearly useless. Other fancy wrenches, too.
Glad to see someone likes my ideas :)

OT: I remembered so many more things I forgot to add when someone else mentioned them ;-;

Ok, that could be acheived simply if there were push button and t flip-flop https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_(electronics)#T_flip-flop items. Place a t flip-flop below each light and wire the output of the flip-flop to the light. Then wire all the (clock) inputs to the flip-flops together and to the push buttons. Whenever a push button is pressed, a pulse is sent into the inputs of the flip-flops, toggleing them, and so toggleing the lights. (This is only needed if lights are changed to reflect the state of the wire, otherwise all that would be needed is to replace the switches with push buttons)
If flip-flops are invisible in the same way as actuators and wire, then it would even look the same, except for using push buttons instead of switches
I know it could still be done, but any simple machine with multiple inputs would become far more trouble to make than they are now.

Some kind of device that allows you to "detach" wire activated blocks and devices from being activated or deactivated. Every time I have had to start over because my farming devices turns off all the torches in my house or deactivates my trapdoor, it causes a lot of pain and misery.

I know it could still be done, but any simple machine with multiple inputs would become far more trouble to make than they are now.
No just use push buttons instead of switches. When you click/press a push button it stays on for a bit then goes off, thus sending a pulse similar to how switches currently work

I'd be happy if wires actually had an on/off state, instead of just the one-off signal pulse that they transmit atm.

This would make buttons and switches functionally different (and make sense), and would also allow logic gates to make much more sense. It'd open up so many doors.

If necessary, you could have a new type of wire with this behaviour, so as not to break any circuits already built with the current system.

I'm also seconding the suggestion I saw for Little Big Planet style logic chips, if that's even possible. I just love those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom