Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few ideas. Some I know have already been suggested and some I have made threads for a while ago.

• Boss Switch - Sends a pulse once a certain boss as been defeated.
  • Electrified Traps - Blocks that zap players and mobs when they touch it. Walls that zap players and mobs when they walk past them. Both can be wired on and off.
  • Emancipation Grills - Disables your active portals when you walk through them. You can't shoot portals through them. They occupy the furniture area and placed like Living Fire. Can be wired on and off.
  • Gem Locks - Similar to Item Frames but can only take large gems of the same color. They send a pulse when a large gem is place in them or removed.
  • Announcement Box - Sends a message in chat once it gets a pulse. Like with signs you type in the message after playing it.
  • Vault Doors - Large bomb proof doors that can only be opened/closed with wire. Cannot be broken down by mobs.
  • Security Cameras or Lazar Trip Wires - Sends a pulse when a player and/or mob walks by it.
  • Exit only Teleporter - Will only drop you off, ever pick anyone up.
  • Delayer - After getting a pulse it will send out a pulse a moment later. It would be 3 wide and one end is the impute and the other is the output. Will not trigger itself and only sends signals in one direction. Like with chairs it will face different ways depending on which way you face as you place it. Comes in 5, 10, and 15 second versions.
  • Breakers - When a Small Breaker gets a pulse it will prevent another pulse from passing through it for a few seconds. A Large Breaker can be toggled on/off with a pulse or click. When on it will prevent a pulse from passing through the top of it. A pulse to the bottom will toggle it on/off. I was thinging 3 tall but it could also work as 2x2.
  • Flusorescent Light Beams - Thread by Snickerbobble. Very cool lights
  • Day Sensor - Sends a pulse at dusk and dawn.
  • Wire Hub - Allows for pulses to jump form the different color wires. Could allow for 2 red wires to pass over each other without meeting by changing one to blue for a bit.
  • More wires - 2 or 3 new wire colors and wrenches. May be unnecessary if we get the Wire Hub.
  • Projectile Switch - Sends a pulse when hit with a player projectile or dart trap.
  • Boulder Dispenser - 2x2 box. Has a small storage capacity and will place boulders from it's storage right next to it if there is room. Would likely need something to place them on.
  • Color coded Keys and Locks - Locks that can be placed on walls like switches. Would need a key of the same color to send a pulse. Alternatively there would be only one kind of lock and the keys would match the wires attached to it, sending out a pulse down a different path depending on what color key you use.
  • More Statues - More working statues that summon critters like squirrels, penguins, and butterflies, as well as hostile mobs like harpies, spiders, and more. Even a way to get HM mobs.
  • Vacuums - Sucks up loose items near it and deposits them in nearby chests. May also have filters to control which items go where.
  • Conveyor Belts - Moves players, mobs, and items on them to the left or right.
  • Medical Statue - Summons the Nurse. I'm not saying evey NPC should have their own statue but you should be able to summon the Nurse to heal you out in the feild. Maybe you could make safe rooms here and there to keep her out of danger and give you time to heal up. Maybe the Dryad could have one too.

Last edited:
As it currently stands, That's actually possible. If you hook up three or more teleporters to the same circuit, You're able to warp from any of the teleporters to ones located on the edges. (The farthest teleporter placed left, And the farthest placed right.)

Unfortunately it's currently impossible to set teleporters closer to the centre of the map as one of the main exit points, It has to both teleporters closest to the edges. No it's not what you're proposing, But it's kind of possible at the moment. :)
I'm not sure what this really has to do with Shadekirby321's post (or why so many people want one-way teleporters in the first place). But what you're describing is not in fact impossible. A pain yes, but not impossible. Distances are measured based on length of wire, not "as the crow flies". So if you loop the wire around, you could force a pad near the center of the map to be furthest from everything.

off the top of my head....

...rework the entire system to be an on/off state rather than toggling puleses? kidding. more realistically now:

-wiring relay(if one wire is activated the others touching this item are too. it connects different wire colors)
one block size
--disabled by deactuation

-directional wiring item(wire signal will pass one way but not the other)
2 block size(one tile in, other tile out...assuming it can be made to "cut" wires so wires of the same color don't connect...if not then it'd have to be either 3x1 blocks(middle inert) or 2x2(left half is in, right is out))

-delay timers(receives signal, counts down and then sends the signal to any wires touching it. lets you set up time delays) comes in 1,3,5 varieties.

-wireless wiring. an item to let us send/receive signals with a beam.
--is obstructed by blocks, requires line of sight.
--one item to generate the beam, another to receive it.
--signal passes both ways when connected
--picturing a satellite dish you hammer to change direction, and an antenna. (beam cosmetically similar to gemspark waterfalls?) items are statue sized, sends a one block sized beam.
--cuts down on tedium of laying wire over long distances
--another item to bounce the beam along right angles(hammer to change direction, 1 block size, doesn't work when deactuated)

-actuating wand(toggle this block i clicked into its actuated/deactuated state)

-color specific actuators(ex red actuator activates only from red wire, ignores signals from blue or green wire) for each wire type

-damage switch(remember the crystals we had to attack in zelda? those)

-countdown timer: a third sort of timer so upon receiving a signal something is active for [1,3,5] seconds and then shuts itself off(so in terraria's wiring system that means: gets and forwards a 'pulse' and then after the timer runs sends another one)

-another kind of pressure plate that is active as long as it is being held down rather than a toggle(translated to "terraria's wiring system" it becomes "step on it sends a pulse, stepping off it sends another")
--is triggered by anything

-more traps(ex: a trapdoor that automatically opens when stepped on, conveyerbelt tiles, a gate that locks itself when powered, ect)

-more statues that interact with wiring(firefly statue, wolf statue, make pickaxe buff mining and sword statue buff melee, shield buffs defense in its area, sunflower glows like mushroom does ect)

-wire spool: building accessory, places wire as we walk

-multiwrench(let us place any wire color. right click to change? maybe even include the wire cutters)

-remember active/inactive timers the way the game remembers fountain and torch activation

-liquid sensor switch(sends pulse when wet/dry)(probably can use the existing function that turns off the water pump)

-light sensor(if possible. like a torch is brought close enough it triggers)

-not really wiring persay but lockable doors that require a key of the same color to open(i already ended up listing conveyerbelt as a trap so whatever. close enough right? ;))

-potion to view wires

-undo change to statue activation points? ;P

-not sure how but something we could use to let us only turn items on(and another for off) rather than just toggle the state

Last edited:
I have two ideas. I don't know if they've been suggested yet but I'll say them anyway.
1. A quick way to wire mechanisms. Click on one mechanism and then click on the other mechanism, and wires will automatically be placed between the two. (Using the first wire type in your inventory)
2. A new statue that lets you spawn any monster you have already killed. However, the spawned monster doesn't drop anything because that would be too overpowered.
I think these might be quite useful for map makers.

This is already suggested, but I really like the idea of bringing electricity in the game.

You would be required to produce electricity to power some more advanced/bigger devices like maybe forcefield/electric fence that can stop even enemies that go through blocks(I hate those bastards). Maybe for bosses they would only slow them down/require more electricity to not be too overpowered.

You could have generators that are fueled by gel or some special blocks(coal? oil?), Wind turbines, Solar panels etc. Maybe also new type of electric wire that transmits electricity from generator to the devices.

Everything from LittleBigPlanet 3 :merchantwink::dryadwink:;):nursewink:~;)`;),actuator cutters (an item that cuts only actuator) also an accessory that can make all placed blocks inactive and maybe something that replaces hoiking

Last edited:
Yey, Advanced wiring!

New wire cutters: diffrent colors and rainbow. Diffrent colors for diffrent wires, and rainbow for all of them. Can be bought from mechanic after killing the wall of flesh.
Wirless transmitter: Blocks that can be far from each other but work like wires. Crafting: 6 wires + 6 actuators on chair and table = 3 Wirless transmitters.
Wirless pump: Pumps that have diffrent nubers or colors to connect to each other. Crafting: 1 Inlet/Outlet Pump + 1 wirless transmitter on chair and table = Wirless Inlet/Outlet pump
Wire glasses: Glasses that can be equipped in accessory slot. If equipped u can see wires. Crafting: Glasses + 10 wire = wire glasses.
Wirless Teleporters: Teleporters with diffrent colors or numbers to connect to each other. Crafting: 1 Teleporter + 1 wirless transmitter on Chair and table = 1 wirless teleporter
Treadmills: Blocks that can be activated and deactivated by wires. Move you, monsters, npcs, drops to left or right (depending on the block type). Crafting: 10 asphalt blocks + 1 wire + 5 Lead/Iron bars on anvil = 10 treadmills.
Collectors: Blocks that collect items dropped and can deposit them into chests or glass. In glass blocks will move until a chest or the end of the glass pipe and drop. Collectors only collect drops from the top side and deposit to bottom side. Can be filtered to only take some items. Crafting: 3 wires + 1 Inlet pump + 1 outlet pump on anvil = 1 Collector.
Consumers: Uses consumables placed in them when they get a pulse. Cant place explosive or damage dealing consumables in them. Can use boss summon items. Crafting: 5 wires + 1 chest + 5 iron on anvil = 1 Consumer.

I might add more ideas when i get some but this is for now.

Last edited:
How about a wiring system to have TShock auto-update every time you guys release YET ANOTHER update? :p

But in all seriousness, I'd just like to see a wider variety of wire colors. In my more complicated circuits I found that I either overlapped some of my wiring or it was horribly unorganized, both of which were bad things.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439622183,1439622061][/DOUBLEPOST]
also an accessory that can make all placed blocks inactive
Wait wait wait... something like the Paint sprayer, that AUTOMATICALLY actuates blocks?!

YES PLEASE.

How about a rope spool something like a 3 by 2 spool with a stand on the bottom left and right blocks of it and a "hole" in the bottom middle block for rope to be placed so you can make it as long or short as you need and if you right click the spool or activate it with a switch the rope will get pulled up. I was thinking something that could be used with the trap door or something that could go over a 3 wide hole to pull rope up rather then just have the rope hanging there to protect your base if it could only be accessed by climbing a rope to get up. Maybe it could have a spool for each different style of furniture or different tiers (wood, iron, corrupted/crimson etc) that would be able to have a longer rope. Perhaps you could have different versions like a 3 by 2 that could be mounted to the ceiling or floor or a 2 by 2 that you could put on the side of the hole and have the base at the bottom and the rope connected at the top left or right or have the 2 by 2 on a wall with the base on the top and bottom left/right and the rope connected on the opposite side to the wall at the bottom or top.

just wanted to say I dislike the wireless transmitter type items that are synched with a code or something. I'd prefer an item to let us use line of sight beams to connect wiring over long distance instead. so i guess that counts as a suggestion of what not to do

~I was thinking about how to connect Teleporters without using a butt-tonne of wire, so i think that having a "Wireless Transmitter" would be nice, maybe you could have it tune in to different channels to connect them.
~A pair of pressure plates that only activate when both are pressed on (?)
~A "Nullifyer" turns off any wire signals in a vicinity
~Not really sure if it would be effective but...A Rapid fire dart trap? Or at least a Laser dart trap...For fun. ;):dryadgrin:

[EDIT]
~A Transporter pipe/conveyor belt that can move items to chests or across the world.
~{Unrelated} If you have a cell phone, why not a smart phone...you know, all the same but slightly better.
~ Something like a statue but when activated it gives nearby players buffs (More dmg, more hp/mana regen) with the same radius as a campfire.

Last edited:
Having colored wire cutters alongside one that can cut every kind of wire would be nice, it gets quite annoying when you're trying to destroy only a certain type of wire in an area filled with wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom