Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there should be wrenches that place a wire that sends signals to multiple kinds of wire, like this
  • Purple wrench, can be connected to both Red and Blue
  • Brown Wrench, can be connected to both Red and Green
  • Turquoise Wrench, can be connected to both Blue and Green
  • Black/White Wrench (your choice), can be connected to all colors of wire
And if Sheldon's stuff gets added, some differences.
  • Ebon/Crimsand Wire, can be placed by both the Antlion Wrench and Shadow/Bloody Wrench, and connects to both Sand Wire and Evil Wire
  • Pearlsand Wire, like Ebon/Crimsand Wire, but with Holy Wire instead of Evil Wire
  • Pure Wire, mixture of Holy and Evil Wire (because both Hallow and Crimruption can spread through the Purity)

23 pages, so I'm late. Apologies if any of this is repeated!

I agree with the sentiments of a all-in-one superwrench that places all kinds of wire colors and cycles color based on right click. I'd also really enjoy seeing an endless wire spool, as others have likely suggested by now.

More boulder fun. That counts as wiring, right? I'd just like to see the boulder/table interaction come back in a new furniture item. You place a boulder on it and it falls through then begins rolling. Lots of fun at parties.

I'd also like to see more types of traps, mostly stuff like death lasers. Similar to the Martian Saucer's death ray, just in trap form and it doesn't sweep. An overkill endgame defense system isn't complete without death lasers, right?

I'd also really enjoy being able to make darts/flame traps shoot upwards and downwards along with being able to launch spiky balls and spears sideways. Propelling spiky balls sideways would make funny cannon setups.

Another thing I'd like to see would be moving platforms. Kind of like actuators, but they move on a placed rail, but I can understand the potential headache that would come from trying to do something like that.

Or more specifically, digging through this suggestion thread of the T-MEC forum. (Come join us! We're friendly!)

From the comments here, some very obvious wishes exist from the general community: more wire colours, logic gates, wireless teleporters and a greater diversity in activation sources and traps. I agree with some, and disagree with others.

Wire Colours:

I think more wire colours is a no-brainer. It is the most direct way of increasing our engineering possibilities. In terms of functionality, there's no need to add an extra aspect to the game such as "insulated wires" when simply adding more wire colours would solve these problems. In a way, wiring in Terraria is like printing a circuit board, and I very much enjoy this 2D aspect of a 2D game.

The legibility of wiring is BIG issue, however. If you look at some of the builds at T-MEC, you'll realize how complex and difficult to understand some of these builds have become. The idea of wiring outside of TEdit becomes laughable. Especially with the ability to observe the wiring isolated in layers by wire colour in the map editor.

So if we get more wire colours, I think some thought has be put into how manipulating different colours is dealt with. For instance, will we be getting different coloured wire cutters so that you don't have to cut through an actuator, green wire, blue wire and any new wire colours to get at the red wire at the bottom of the tile? Will new coloured wrenches be introduced for each new wire colour, or will there be an omi-wrench (monkey wrench)? which lets you cycle through the wire colours? If there is an omni-wrench, will we have to combine single wrenches together at the tinkerer's workshop to get it? If we still only get single wire colour wrenches, will obtaining them be as easy paying the mechanic gold, or will they biome specific items you have to farm or search for?

I am definitely a fan of the idea of an item or accessory that allows the immediate placement of actuated blocks.

Wireless Teleporters:

I think the biggest reason people want this because of how tedious it is to lay down the wiring of teleporters. I think that this could be solved with the Mechanic.

Generally speaking, town NPCs don't really do anything. With the exception of characters such as the Angler or the Hairstylist, they're basically just merchants with a name. You might as well call them Merchant1, Merchant2, Merchant3... Why not give the Mechanic the ability to do wiring for you? When you enter dialogue menu, you could have an "job" option, and a mini map of the explored area of the world would open up where you could draw out wiring plans. The mechanic charges you a price for carrying out the job and charges a steeper price for it than if you wired it by hand. Wrenches and wire cutters would still be relevant for on location building or modifications.

Admittedly, the idea of wireless teleporters would be cool though, if you had an item such as a "remote control" that allowed you to quickly redefine teleporter connections on the fly. But if Red says no...

Logic Gates:

Hotly contested by T-MEC's forum moderaters, but something I think that would draw alot of interest out of the general audience. I mean, logic gates: you learn about them in high school Comp. Sci. and now, in Terraria, try them out! It's always amusing to see someone with a computing or electrical engineering background come to the forums and complain about the "toggle nature" of Terraria's engineering system, rigidly stuck in their paradigm of how Terrarian engineering should work and confused and frustrated when their builds fail.

Simulating real life electronic logic in Terraria is not impossible as Patric20878 proved, even if it is not instantaneous. I guess what the devs want to do with this is their decision.

A greater diversity in activation sources and traps:

This is where the biggest room for development is and there have been some awesome suggestions in this thread. Like the pressure plates that activates doubley: once when something stands on it, and once when it steps off. Trip wires, motion or light sensors. Proximity sensors. Timers (alarm clocks?) that activate at a precise time. But if any new activation sources are introduced PLEASE MAKE ONE THAT CAN BE TRIGGERED BY TRAPS (such as a spear trap, for instance). This would allow us to alot of things we currently do with the hoik glitch much more easily and compactly.

So I am excited to see what the developers are going to come with here, and am eagerly awaiting the results!

As I suggested earlier in "Suggestions" sub-forum - receiver and remote controller. when you use remote, receiver activates. Useful for detonating explosives without putting all the wire and trigger.

My wishes, wire and non-wire related:

• revamp wire to on/off
  • Both rulers will now show wires, and allows to show specific ones by right clicking
  • Ruler is no longer an accessory, but an usable item. You can create a measurement box by clicking and dragging, which lasts forever (even after switching item). Right clicking will remove the box.
  • Like most post, more wire color. I prefer wrench + paint = colored wrench.
  • A specific color wire cutter
  • Perhaps a specific color wire glasses too.
  • Music box is no longer an accessory, but toggled on/off via right click. Recording is done by turning empty music boxes on.
  • A tool for actuating, and a wireable thing that hammers the block it is on.
  • dangersense now see wires.
  • training dummy that sends pulse every hit received
  • item pressure plates

I know that I struggle with chest organization, and it's a pain to put everything in its respectable chest, even with the handy quick stack nearby chest option. I feel like it would be useful and kind of cool to have a new type of wire that transfers items through it and filters to choose which items go through. For example, you could put all of your inventory into one chest and have individual wires with unique filters that transfer the items into their respectable chests. I feel like a player could do a lot with a system like this.
actually I was working on something like that... Something to do with item pipes. I'll leave the link somewhere when it's done (big suggestion incoming)

Oooo! An idea, what if instead of having to wire a teleporter manually all over the map you could place a hook on one end of the teleporter, travel to the other teleporter and place it down (like a ball of string I guess), so there is a wire that goes across the map without you having to slowly walk all the way with a wrench placing wires.

It would also make sense to have the long wire only visible when you have a wrench or something equipped.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439609802,1439609738][/DOUBLEPOST]

OMG that whoopie cushion idea would be so annoying but fun xD
Yes! Support for the wire reel thingy! Maybe it consumes wire the further you roll it! Let's hope this
guy --->:redspin:adds it in!

I'd say an automatic fisher. It'd be cool to see a machine being able to fish and put it in a chest. Then you can get the quest from the angler and take the fish. I haven't done much fishing in the game. Only when the fishing update did come out and that's about it. But it seems like this would be a pretty good idea. That's just a basic outline I thought of. Cant really think of how to go more specific. Maybe tubes or something to connect it to the chest? Well you guys are the smart people. If you take this idea just do whatever with it! it'd be good either way

23 pages, so I'm late. Apologies if any of this is repeated!

I agree with the sentiments of a all-in-one superwrench that places all kinds of wire colors and cycles color based on right click. I'd also really enjoy seeing an endless wire spool, as others have likely suggested by now.

More boulder fun. That counts as wiring, right? I'd just like to see the boulder/table interaction come back in a new furniture item. You place a boulder on it and it falls through then begins rolling. Lots of fun at parties.

I'd also like to see more types of traps, mostly stuff like death lasers. Similar to the Martian Saucer's death ray, just in trap form and it doesn't sweep. An overkill endgame defense system isn't complete without death lasers, right?

I'd also really enjoy being able to make darts/flame traps shoot upwards and downwards along with being able to launch spiky balls and spears sideways. Propelling spiky balls sideways would make funny cannon setups.

Another thing I'd like to see would be moving platforms. Kind of like actuators, but they move on a placed rail, but I can understand the potential headache that would come from trying to do something like that.

Oi, the death ray trap idea is great but should be expanded upon with your moving platforms! :D

Like if you place a bunch of rails (more like a pipe in this case) and the place the ray (and maybe other traps and placeables?) on it and then instead of wiring the trap, you wire the pipe/rail and whatever is placed on the rail will then move along the rail/pipe back and forth when switch is on! :D
Could make for some fun minigames, connecting stuff like this to timers so you have to get across without being melted to death or pierced by darts or engulfed in flames or any other fun traps/objects one could think of. :D

I'd say an automatic fisher. It'd be cool to see a machine being able to fish and put it in a chest. Then you can get the quest from the angler and take the fish. I haven't done much fishing in the game. Only when the fishing update did come out and that's about it. But it seems like this would be a pretty good idea. That's just a basic outline I thought of. Cant really think of how to go more specific. Maybe tubes or something to connect it to the chest? Well you guys are the smart people. If you take this idea just do whatever with it! it'd be good either way

So you mean, never actually fish yourself and let a machine do it all for you?
If as a reward for finishing like 500 quests then sure. xP

You know, I've complained about the... enhancements that Moon Lord got, but really, at the end of the day, I do appreciate you guys for giving us SOOOO much stuff in Terraria. Thank you.

New Weapon ideas:
- An endgame equivalent to the Arkhalis. Just do more damage with a wider/longer range. Arkhalis is a wonderful new weapon, an end game equivalent would be really nice.
- Magic Missile Massacre: A staff that fires a spread of homing magic missiles. Damage can be low individually, but of course, the damage adds up. Doesn't have to be endgame. I just like the pun.
- Desert Buzzard: A pre-hardmode gun. Auto-fire, but there's a pause between every bursts of shots. Basically, a little pre-hardmode love for guns.
- Of course, endgame additions for throwing weapons and bombs.

Ammo Loading Wiring
- Okay, I'm not sure what's the view on turrets, but how about making it possible to link things like the cannon to a supply of ammo. Like, wire a chest to a cannon. Then wire a timer/plate/whatever to the cannon. Now, when the cannon is activated, and if there's ammo in the chest, it'll consume the ammo and fire a shot. As it is, things like the cannons seem to not be used much. Perhaps this can change that? And there are drawbacks. Like, if a cannon were pressure plate activated, it'd only fire for as many plates are stepped on yes? Whereas a timer activated one would be a big ammo drain.

This could similarly apply to the landmines. I wanna put landmines around my base, but they're one use. But if they could be linked to a cache of landmines that would replenish spent landmines...

NPC Spawner
- Here's an idea that's been on my mind for the past couple months. While waiting for 1.3, I played some Starbound and they had an item capped a Guard Spawner, which I really liked. My idea for a Terraria version is this:

First, there would be a new NPC. The Quartermaster(?). And he would sell you NPC banners/flags, much like the ones you use to set which NPC going to which housing.

These banners/flags can only be put in unoccupied valid housing, just like a regular NPC's, and they would result in a guard spawning/arriving. The guards will behave much like regular NPCs but are more aggressive around enemies. So they'd move toward and attack rather than run and attack as a last resort/self-defense. If killed, these guards are dead and you'll have to buy a new banner/flag if you want to respawn them. Oh, and they wouldn't affect monster spawn rates.

Quartermaster sells/recruits different guards based on pre/post-hardmode and time of day.
Pre-Hardmode
Day
- Guard: NPC with the equivalent of copper/tin armor, wields copper broadsword
- Archer: NPC with the equivalent of wood armor, shoots iron arrows much like the guide.

Night
- Mercernary: NPC with the equivalent of iron gear/armor

Blood Moon
- Knight: NPC with the equivalent of silver gear/armor
- Mage: NPC with the equivalent of amethyst staff/robes

Post-Hardmode
Day
- Soldier: NPC with the equivalent of gold gear/armor
- Gunman: : NPC with the equivalent of silver gear/armor

Night
- Pro: NPC with the equivalent of crimtane gear/armor

Blood Moon
- Knight: NPC with the equivalent of molten gear/armor
- Summoner: NPC who summons, much like the goblin summoner

Eclipse
- Hero: NPC with the equivalent of cobalt/paladium gear/armor

Okie, that was long, but I've been thinking about it. As you can see, it's not about having super powerful minions. These guys will probably get one shotted. But it would add to the population of the towns and offer your regular NPCs a LITTLE protection. If only as meatshields.

And addition to the above would be a Companion, which is an NPC linked to your character. He/She starts with 80HP/0MP but can be upgraded the same way as your main character. They can also be equipped with whatever armor you give them (no accessories) and only 1 weapon. Being able to give them vanity items would be a plus. They are mediumcore/hardcore. If they die, the items you put on them would be lost (dropped?).

It's a way of using those extra hearts/stars you find and again, most likely these fellas will die in a real fight. So you wouldn't be able to cheese with them.

Well, that's it for now. I reckon the whole NPCs thing wouldn't be viable in this update, but I hope you guys like the idea to consider it. It'd be nice to be able to further populate our towns.

Blinky Neon Lights! So, basically the letter statues, but they glow on and off when activated via timers.

Time activation? Set something to activate at certain times? So, set actuators activate at say, 8pm and deactivate at 6am.

Water Cannon - Uses water as ammo. Shoots a low damage but high knockback waterball.

Similar to my NPC idea above, animals! You need to have stables/valid housing, then like, put in a banner/flag for an animal like, a dog or chicken or dragon to walk about. You can't kill them and they're fairly hard to kill by monsters due to not being targets (much like how summons will ignore cultists but might still accidentally hit them).

It would be awesome to see some sort of transmitters and receivers of the three wire colors that send signals to each other without the need to wire them together. The transmitter would be wired to the switch/lever/timer/pressure plate, and the receiver to whatever you decide to wire -such as teleporters or traps, for example.

I would say colored lights. Maybe the disco ball mixed in with some of the dye? Instead of multiple colors, it shines that color. Or just add a chain lamp with some dye...
I was also thinking plant lights, for instance, a sun light for the daybloom during the night and a full moon/corrupted/bloody light for the deathweed.

Maybe a blue light for this plant?

From what I've seen, there have been several suggestions for more turret-like items or blocks, but I think people are just excited for Terraria: Otherworld.

However, I have two more ideas for 1.3.1, but these aren't as substantial as my previous suggestions.
Kinda building off of (or maybe someone has explicitly said this before, I'm just skimming) what others have said, but adding a block that can place other blocks such as sand which falls, and a block detector that will detect falling or placed blocks would be cool.

Again, these aren't significant to me because I can't think of a use for them, but I think it's an interesting thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom