Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
forgive me if this has been mentioned before, i haven't read through the thread.
Spawner Statue.png

Spawners, something like the statues we already got, but customizable.
Right clicking the top half toggles between friendly or hostile (toward you / your team in multiplayer)
Right clicking the bottom half opens a chest with slots for Head / Body / Legs / Weapon and Life Crystal (stack maximum upgradable)
When activated, an NPC (limit 1) is spawned, using the gear provided, with a life limit based on the crystals within

Trap Statue.png

Trap Statue, like the spawner, customizable
Right clicking the top half toggles between friendly or hostile
Right clicking the bottom half opens a chest with slots for a Projectile Weapon and Mana Crystal (stack maximum upgradable) or Ammo
When activated, a projectile is launched based on the contents

statues, by default, are friendly to the player(team) that created it, hostile to all others, meaning those found via exploration would be of the red-eyed variety. a statue cannot be toggled/open chest, by a player(team) it does not belong to, having to be destroyed and the contents scattered. a statue dismantled by the creator(team) will not drop its contents or be destroyed, but get turned back into an item in their inventory, which can then be placed once more with contents intact

have a few more idears in this realm of thought, but im certain @Yoraiz0r already knows what they are (i think he does, did he forget? cha he probably forgot about those things.... like the liquid barrier.... probably really doesn't remember that one, forgetful yora! baka!)

Revert the changes to bunny AI in 1.3 and that's about all I'll need. At present they are breaking even the most simple circuits because of RNG flipping behavior.

I have more ideas I didn't put down before. Some I forgot while reading the posts on the first 19 pages and others I have come up with since.
  • X-ray Specs - Accessory. When equipped the wires are always visible.
  • Infinite Spool - Accessory crafted with 3996 wire. When equipped you will have infinite wire. It could also destroy any wire you pick up to help keep your inventory clear.
  • More teleporters - Different styles of teleporters but would act the same. For example a Crystal Teleporter would be crafted with a Teleporter and a few Crystal Shards. Another could be the green Warp Pipes from the Super Mario games.
  • Team Key - A tool. Building on the lock from my last post it would send a pules down the wire that's the same color as the team you are on when used on the lock. Would need yellow and pink wires to fully work.
  • Trap Chest - Looks a lot like gold chests. Would send a pulse when opened.
  • Programmable Music Box - A music box you can make a custom song with. When combined with the Trap Chest above you could have a catchy tune play when opening the chest.
  • Auto Buff - Will give a buff to the player who triggered it. It would be 2x2 and have a small storage you could put potions inside. Would only use the first potion available and wouldn't work if you already have that buff. Could be useful for adventure and puzzle maps if you don't want to give the player a bunch of potions. alternatively could use sprayers wired to a storage somewhere that would buff the player under it with the first potion it could grab. If there are multiple containers wired together it could give multiple buffs at once.
  • Sonic Screwdriver - When equipped as an accessory it would allow you to toggle switches, levers, timers, and even presser plates from anywhere on the screen. When used as a tool it can also be used to activate the actuators without needed to wire them.
  • Grenade launchers - Shoots grenades.
  • Sentry Guns - Can be placed on on floors and ceilings. Like the cannons you can change the angle. Some versions will fire one shot per pulse and others would fire a few. Would need ammo so they would need to be loaded. They would ether have their own storage or be wired to a ammo stockpile.
  • Drawbridge - Lowers and rises when triggered. Could block mobs when up and allow you to cross small gaps when down. There could be different sizes like 4 blocks long and 6 blocks.
  • Weighted Presser Plate - Sends a pulse both when stepped on and stepped off. If there is a player standing on it already it won't send another pulse until they step off, even if another player steps on it.
  • Weighted Cube - A small cube that can be placed. When placed on a Weighted Presser Plate it will act like a player, sending a pulse and not letting it send another pulse until removed. When right clicked it will turn back into an item so you can pick it without a pick or drill. The two of them could be useful for puzzle maps.
  • Lock Box - A chest that could be locked/unlocked with a pulse.

I had been hoping for an expansion to the wiring system in the game for quite awhile and I'll admit I had pretty much given up on it.

I think that everything I am about to suggest has been suggested in at least some capacity already (there are 30 pages of suggestions already, wow), but;

Logic gates. For any truly amazing wire constructions to happen, there needs to be a better way to construct certain logic gates (you can kinda make some already with the hoik glitch which, while pretty cool, is very touchy and labor-intensive). There's been a lot of more specific suggestions regarding gates already regarding which ones would be necessary for making others, the potential benefit of changing the signal system (or supplementing it) with level-based signaling, etc.

Hoiks are really cool (sometimes) but they can be touchy, require a lot of effort (hammer finger has ptsd) and, in my experience, aren't very multiplayer-friendly. A conveyor system for moving drops (such as from a mob farm) or mobs or players or whatever else would be a nice touch both aesthetically and functionally, I think.

New traps. looking through the first several pages reveals lots of suggestions for new traps, some of which would be pretty awesome. In addition to traditional 'traps', some other kinds of automated defenses might be nice; turreted weapons (possibly just a turret that can be given any weapon and will use that on specified targets, using provided ammo and/or mana potions to fuel spells) or guardian golems that could be linked to a wired station that defines their operational area among other interesting potential uses.

New ways to trigger wiring; pressure plates that send sustained signals rather than toggled ones, entity-detectors that don't rely on being walked on (so as to trigger when flying things are nearby, for example), light/time detectors, fluid detectors, block detectors (that detect whether or not there is a block adjacent to a specific side, or even in a specified coord), dummies or targets that signal when attacked/shot, a control panel object (would 'open' when clicked and would have several buttons and/or switches on it that could be independently toggled after being individually assigned to one of the colors of wire that are wired into the object, basically can function as several different switches that all reside in a single object).

More colors of wire. Even a couple more colors would enhance the current system quite a bit but would make many of these other suggestions more robust, especially if complex logic gates are introduced with multiple I/Os. Having to buy a whole bunch of new wrenches would be annoying though, an item that would allow you to switch (perhaps as a hotkey) what color of wire you are going to place would probably be prudent.

An actuator tool. It's been mentioned before that a tool that allows you to just actuate a block that you click on would not only make pixel art easier, it would also be a huge boon to people trying to trouble-shoot large wire machines that use a lot of actuated blocks (at the moment, if an actuator is missing and the machine is fully wired, you have to do a bunch of silly cutting/re-wiring to get the un-actuated block to behave and it can be a pain).

More objects that function on a signal would always be nice, even simple aesthetic things, I'm sure there are many suggestions in here to that effect but the only thing I can really think of would be pistons, a la minecraft (or something similar, that moves a placed block or more from one place to another). I can't think of any personal usage for them but I'm sure there are some people on here who could do some awesome things with this functionality.

There's not much of a use for things like automatic item-management systems considering how well the quick stack and quick stack to nearby chests functions work but it could be fun to make some large, minecraft-style item sorting systems, especially in tandem with mob grinders and things of that nature.

A power generation/usage system is probably far beyond the scope of the wiring system in terraria and I think that without fundamentally changing some of the core features of the game, any power system would feel kind of empty but this is a feature that a lot of people would probably find interesting, if it could be done well and feel 'complete'. There are plenty of opportunities for power generators; windmills, waterwheels, solar, etc. but it's hard to think of power-sinks for such a system without requiring things like the furnaces and wire objects require power. It would be a lot of work and I'm not sure it would be a particularly popular change for the game.

Wireless transmitters/receivers. It does ruin a lot of the 'manual' feeling of the current system but it would be quite useful in certain, very large projects. I'm not sure how it would work without establishing 'wireless channels' or something but meh, I kind of like the manual wiring system personally anyway.

That's all I can think of and I realize that it is a lot but the truth is there are many things that could be done to enhance the current wiring/mechanics system. Whatever ends up being implemented, I can pretty much guarantee that I'm going to squeal like a little girl when the path drops, I have been looking forward to this for a very long time.

I forgot about more switches again. I want a few new ways to send a pulse, but I would like them to be disguised. One could look like a touch and another could be a stone bust. There could even be a fake stalactites/stalagmites. I would like something you could hide. Still if you moused over them you could spot them.

Add a timer that ticks on random intervals.

Maybe a lighting mechanism that makes it so the closer you get to your light source the brighter it gets.

A block that lights up when you step on it could be a fun way to detect mobs.
Get something like the actuator put it on a gemspark block and when you step on the block it lights up. (or just use pressure plates?) In that case make invisible pressure plates?

I have more ideas I didn't put down before. Some I forgot while reading the posts on the first 19 pages and others I have come up with since.
  • Trap Chest - Looks a lot like gold chests. Would send a pulse when opened.
  • Sonic Screwdriver - When equipped as an accessory it would allow you to toggle switches, levers, timers, and even presser plates from anywhere on the screen. When used as a tool it can also be used to activate the actuators without needed to wire them.
  • Drawbridge - Lowers and rises when triggered. Could block mobs when up and allow you to cross small gaps when down. There could be different sizes like 4 blocks long and 6 blocks.
  • Weighted Presser Plate - Sends a pulse both when stepped on and stepped off. If there is a player standing on it already it won't send another pulse until they step off, even if another player steps on it.
  • Lock Box - A chest that could be locked/unlocked with a pulse.

I really like these ideas. I think the chest trap should actually be a working chest... in fact, why not just make all chests send a pulse when opened?

I have 3 suggestions:
1. Wireless transmitter: right clicking opens a sign-like interface, where you can enter a frequency and any transmitters with the same frequency will activate any wire touching them when any other transmitter of the same frequency is activated.
2. The mechanic should sell timers. Making anything advanced is a pain for me simply because I have to manually harvest and craft timers.
3. A tool that easily switches a block's actuated state. This would be more useful for building, but would still be handy for wiring.
Non-wiring related:
1. An upgrade for the magic sun dial crafted with luminite that can be used whenever and can set the time to 7:30 or 5:30, because in the end-game ALL enemies are pushovers except for the solar eclipse enemies which are mildly anoying. This item can skip events and skip to the appropriate time to summon a boss, and therefor skipping most of the arduous waiting in the game.
2. An upgrade to the rod of discord that doesn't have the debuff. Crafted with luminite and a rod of discord, this item would be exactly like the old rod of discord. Server owners should be able to disable it/ make it use the chaos state debuff (or something similar) so as to nerf it in PvP.
3. An item that can block certain items from being picked up, like acorns, gel, shackles, spiky balls and other such useless stuff (or maybe just items of quality <2). If your inventory is full, it should automatically delete these items so as to help builders clean up mob drops/junk from the ground. It could be either an accessory or a sword-like item that deletes item entities it's swing animation touches.

I'd want some sort of wrench that consumes 10 wire at once but places 10 wire in a straight line, be it vertical or horizontal. Just something to speed up laying wire across worlds or in long straight lines, like falling down a hellivator.

I really like these ideas. I think the chest trap should actually be a working chest... in fact, why not just make all chests send a pulse when opened?

It is meant to be. I liked the idea of hooking it up to the custom music box below to play a song when you open it to get the item. I have played a lot of Legend of Zelda after all. If you don't want it to be a real chest don't put anything useful in it.

what about a make your own claptrap! or bot!
is like a pet and minion, you can make it a turret to protect your home or to follow you everywhere can fly, but! he have a life went he die you can summon after some time and you can craft with [ Orichalcum bar, wire, lens, cogs, Extendo Grip, Mechanical Wheel Piece ] you make a remote control to summon

this update sounds cool and i love that you ask the comunity abaut things that should be inplomented, and i got some ideas of my own.
  • A iteam collector.
  • A transport belt that can take items or deliver items from/to chest.
  • An uppgradeble minning rig so you can automate your mining and vil drop items to a nerby chest or a transport belt.
  • I also hope logic gates becomes a thing in the new update.
i bet this uppdate is going to be cool, keep up the good work Re-Logic:)

images
Add a Mechanical Queen Bee, Has 500000 health and has 4 primary attacks: Shoots Mechanical bees(5-20) and has 20 health and those bees do 10 damage each, Spews out Nectar that does 10-100 damage , Swooping attack that does 50-60 damage And Once at 5000 Health It enters Heath mode if using mele or summoner it then restores health...

To summon: Beat The 3 mechanical bosses then Defeat plant terra then golem , then make a item called the mechanical Trio
Out of the golem fist,Jungle key then go to the nest the right click to make the nest Mechanical then just break the spawner it says in chat "The Mechanical Queen Bee has been awoken"

images
Add a Mechanical Queen Bee, Has 500000 health and has 4 primary attacks: Shoots Mechanical bees(5-20) and has 20 health and those bees do 10 damage each, Spews out Nectar that does 10-100 damage , Swooping attack that does 50-60 damage And Once at 5000 Health It enters Heath mode if using mele or summoner it then restores health...

To summon: Beat The 3 mechanical bosses then Defeat plant terra then golem , then make a item called the mechanical Trio
Out of the golem fist,Jungle key then go to the nest the right click to make the nest Mechanical then just break the spawner it says in chat "The Mechanical Queen Bee has been awoken"
That's cool and all but a bit off topic.

+1 on Logic Gate, this is definitely what you want to do.
Ideally you could imagine a screen to show information.

Also give power to practically all the statue (i let you decide what should be done about Angel Statue :p)

Apart from that I think there were some great ideas.

Is this the last update for Terraria-1?
By the way, how about a wireless transmitter kind of thing, that connects to teleporters together(wiring up those teleporters is a big job)

Just registered in order to post here. Terraria is my most played game on Steam at the moment, so I guess I'm a fan. Glad to see that the suggestion box is open.

I've read through the first 10 pages of this thread and got a pretty decent idea what the repeat suggestions are. I thought I'd echo a few of the ones I saw that was more or less in line with what I was thinking, and try to add some new ideas in the mix (or echo the ideas that were listed on pages 11-29):

-Drawbridges. I'd actually like to see this customizable with most materials--pretty much anything you can make a regular bridge out of--and have it controlled by a wired pulley. Length of bridge may need a cap, but maybe not. Being able to build one that can reach a sky island might be a little ridiculous. But maybe something as large as ten or twenty blocks would be nice. Pulleys can require a non-electric wiring system, similar to yo-yo string, craftable by spider webs and iron. The speed of the pulley would depend on the material: wood would be slowest, iron moderate, then some special metal or ore for faster pulleys. (Not sure if things like meteorite should factor in, but gold or platinum probably should.) The purpose for the drawbridge would be to create a door that would be near impossible to breach without climbing. As a side effect, a wall-climbing enemy should probably approach during a blood moon.

-Automatic Doors. Basically what it sounds like. A door automatically opens when you're close, and closes when you're not. Can be crafted like a regular door, but also requires one wire. May also require a low-grade ore like copper or tin to house the wire.

-Hydraulic Doors. You could also call this "space doors" or "supermarket doors." Works like an automatic door. Just requires iron or steel to construct, maybe a single wire. "Supermarket doors" would also need glass.

-Remote Trap Doors. An automatic door for vertical movement. Can also be used in conjunction with pit-based traps.

-Craftable Floor and Wall Spikes. Make it out of iron. If this is already in the game, I haven't gotten that far. Basically, for a pit trap to work, it should have something that can injure the character falling through it, and what better thing to cause environmental damage than spikes? Lava? Sure, but you can't craft lava.

-Craftable Lava. Superheat your thousands of dirt blocks into lava using the Advanced Lava-Maker 2000 you just bought from the mechanic (or the goblin, or some new NPC that you have to rescue somewhere). Make sure you got a bucket to collect it. Then go pour it in your pit trap.

-Elevators. We really need something to supplement the mine cart system for vertical movement. Going down is as easy as jumping in a hole, but going up is as easy as timing your grappling hook just right, which isn't always easy. Like the drawbridge, it would require a pulley and some non-electric wiring. The box can be made exactly like the mine cart is made.

-Mine Cart Depth Toggler. There's probably a much better name for this, but basically elevators and mine carts should pass safely between each other, or rails should be able to "slide" into a wall when the toggler is activated to allow the elevator to pass through without interruption. Mechanic can sell this.

-Mine Cart Depots. Catch a runaway mine cart and set it on a new course where the rails intersect. Tracks change via switch. Depots are basically special mechanical blocks designed for halting momentum. They could be used for anything that should stop an object in its tracks, like a reverse conveyor belt (another great idea suggested by lots of people). They could be crafted from iron and gel, or iron and honey.

-Remote Missiles. Taking a page out of Perfect Dark (the one for the N64, if my memory serves me right), have a weapon that fires a rocket that the player can control at the price of the hero standing still until the rocket hits its target. High damage to whatever it hits (and it can destroy a few blocks if the enemy is too close to a structure or wall, or if the rocket comes in from above or below), but the player must create a bunker if he doesn't want to get knocked into something.

-Remote Bombs and Dynamite (or C4). Set the bomb or dynamite wherever. It won't blow until you right-click the mouse. Note: This is unlike the dynamite traps that are already in the game that cause me so much spelunking grief. These are wireless, but require you to stand close enough to see it, and are used primarily for demolition, not trapping.

-Proximity Bombs and Dynamite. They go off when they detect movement.

-Controlled Bombs and Dynamite. This will probably need a better name, but this is for precision positioning of bombs and dynamite from a safe distance. Can be used with sticky bombs, too. Basically, it works like a fishing pole, but instead of casting bait and a lure, you're casting explosives. The idea is that the bomb won't be armed until you release the line with a right-click. So you can cast and recast until you get it positioned where you want. Crafted like a fishing pole.

-Craftable NPC. I'm thinking specifically robots or rock golems, but I also like what one person said on Page 9 or 10 about using living dummies. The purpose of the craftable NPC (and there should be only one) is to help defend the town during attacks. It should either be the strongest NPC, or it should be a normal NPC that can use two weapons and/or climb ropes to get to higher ground. One weapon can be a projectile (flinging rocks, maybe?), and the other should be a higher-damaging melee weapon. Craftable out of stone or iron, but must also have wire (50 pieces or more), a higher level ore, some glass for its eyes, some kind of electrical conduit for power, or a few stars if an electrical conduit is too much, some gel for its essence, and maybe a summoner's eye for its aggressiveness. Might also require a life potion to ensure that it self-repairs.

-Slime Embiggener. Basically a gun that fires electricity. If it hits a slime, it either scales it up to a higher-ranked slime, or it transforms it into one of several special kinds of slime, or splits it into multiple slimes of the same type. Used for farming gels, banners, or rarely summoning King Slime. It can also be used to summon electricity in otherwise dead machines, or remote trigger whatever switches it hits. It could probably be called an "electric gun," but it would basically be a slime embiggener.

-High-powered Rails. Unless we're given the ability to craft faster mine carts, it would be nice if rails could be given "charge zones" where every rail between A Box and B Box is supercharged with an electric current that can increase the mine cart's speed by nearly 50%, depending on its buff. If elevators are included, then this could also apply to elevator zones.

-Geyser. Can spit a large fountain of water if triggered by something.

-Rotating Blocks. This is mainly for switching the direction of a slope via switch. If that makes no sense (and the more I think about it, the more I realize it probably doesn't), then the basic premise could be adopted to create remote stairs (that change levels depending on its two target landings) and escalators.

-Automated Lights. Basically give lights full control through switches, timers, event, proximity, etc.

-Environmental Radios. Basically craftable furniture using iron, gel (or batteries), wires, and meteorite. Crafting two (or some other arbitrary number) can summon a new NPC, the DJ (or the Newsman).

-Handheld Radios. Basically uses the same items as the environmental radio, but can be used to communicate with an NPC from anywhere on the map. For it to work, you have to make two radios, one for you and one for the NPC. Then you assign the NPC radio to one person in particular. Once assigned, that radio is bound to that NPC, so if you want to talk to more than one NPC remotely, then you have to make more radios. They can express deliver the purchased item via flying piggy bank or though something unique to 1.3.1.

-Working Plumbing. I support all of the suggestions relating to pipes, drains, and so forth. But I'd also like to see sinks and bathtubs operational (well, they can be turned on and off, not actually usable) and toilets flushable. These are cosmetic and stupid, but they make the environment seem more alive.

-Tradesman Uniforms. They may already be in the game, but uniforms matching some kind of mechanical or plumbing trade would be cool.

-Blackout Event. A random event like a blood moon where you spend a night in the dark. All wires are dead and all lights are turned off. Any door set to automatic won't work. May attract a new kind of creature, or make it easier for regular enemies like zombies to spawn inside town borders.

-Bug Zapper. Catches fireflies and butterflies if one flies into it. Can be bought from the merchant. Connecting it to a wire toggles its functionality from practical to aesthetic.

-Spring Traps. Used to catch enemies the same way butterfly nets catch critters. Want a zombie on display in a glass case? Catch it with a spring trap. Just make sure you connect it to the pressure plate or switch with wires. Spring traps can be crafted out of most materials.

-Advanced Extractions. The Extractionator should be able to occasionally find decayed wiring in silt or slush. Decayed wiring needs to be mended into regular wiring. It takes two decayed wires to create one normal one. Decayed wiring can be fixed at a workbench or table.

That's probably good enough.

I had ideas for two new biome-based NPCs, but that's off-topic, so hopefully you guys will be asking for new NPC ideas in a future update.

Thanks for Terraria. It's one of my favorites. I wish it had been around in the Super Nintendo days.

I'd like it if the blue and green wires were offset so that they would still be visible when placed on top of each other. (IE. if blue was nudged up to the left and green nudged down to the right.)

You should let her sell mechcanical clothes and a wrench sword ( is it a tool or a sword nobody knows) the melee damage should be 50 And the knockback is very strong.:p
unnamed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom