Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking there could radio boxes or wireless transmitters something of that sort.They would be tiny boxes you could buy from the mechanic NPC for 5 to 10 gold. When clicked on you would have the option to put a dye in, when two or more radio boxes had the same dye in them they would connect or they could be colored by what wrench you use to put the boxes down. So you could hook up a teleported to each one and they would be connected through the radio boxes. There are many other things you could do with them as well. They would not be there to replace wire completely just to save time when do a mechanism with a lot of wiring. If anyone has any ideas to improve on this it would be greatly apreaciated.

Last edited:
How about a laser door kind of like in portal how they have emancipation grids but it can be turned on and off and is used as a door. It can be crafted using 3 wires and 6 martian conduit plating at a new mechanical crafting station. A player can walk through it but enemys die when they try to walk through it. Taking this idea from portal. (I dont know if this goes with the mechanics update but it involves wires :))

what about some form of wireless wire? Have the cyborg or mechanic sell a signal antenna for 50 silver, and then you put it on a block. When you hit it with a wrench, it will change its frequency, and that will be displayed on the block. you tune two to the same frequency, and voila! maybe also throw in a few new statues, maybe one that increases fishing power when you stand X blocks far away from it? as well as one that summons a random event whenever a) the even criteria are met and b) it has power. maybe a 3 - day cooldown.

First of all sorry for my bad english if there is a mistake.
I'm not a good builder, but a I think it would be nice to have natural electricity (Solar, water) and not exactly a mechanism but, can craft locks then place them in doors, also craftable keys and place them in your equipment (Mounts, pets, etc) so you can unlock and lock the doors whenever you want.

Door mechanism:

Left click to lock the doors
Right click to unlock/open doors
Lock: 5 lead or iron+5 gold or platinium+2 wire
Special Key: Golden key+shadow key

Natual sources:

I'm not sure, I'm not good at this

Water sources:
Inlet pump ore outet pump+1 water bucket+???

Sorry for not being specific if you want to change the crafting recepies, do it but just make sure the materials are pre-hardmode items, please.
Thank you for your time.

So hoiktronics is awesome and all but it consumes a lot of memory to redering all stuff proprerly, thinking about it i've figured a solution, why do not code a eletronic computer chip, this thing act like a small version of full hoik computer stuff and it can be able to program witch pin will send output or recive input making a highly complex stuff using chips and a hoik sistem tracks and the rainbow block or rainbow wall can be able to change color accordly red, blue and green wire feeds the rainbow stuff

Last edited:
While I'm sure I'm doing little more than echoing at this point...

Various logic gates added to the wire layer are the obvious solution to the "not enough wire colors" problem (and many others).

A universal wrench with some hotkey or other to toggle between available colors instead of the current clunky pile of wrenches. This toggle would be very useful for wire cutters as well to snip specific colors.. Maybe a black handled toggle for its current universal use.

More traps, triggers, and trap elements to design more elaborate contraptions would be nice. Beyond conveyor belts, auto-firing cannons, and boulder dropping traps (that push), I'm not entirely certain what else would be useful/possible.

My most desired addition by far would be a (wire layer) circuit element that can be edited like a sign post that, when activated, activates all other circuit wires (or player-level objects) with the matching code/number in the game world. It would make for easy wireless teleporters and countless other amazing things possible. If they could activate "behind" a switch/toggleable without wire it'd be even more versatile (making things like opening a door to detonate explosives across the map with zero wire involved possible). I'm sure it's also been mentioned a few dozen times in this thread...

One thing i thought about:
A Wireless block. Its a block where you can send signals wirelessly. You can change the frequency of the block and if there are 2 or more blocks of the same frequency they can send signals threw eachother

maybe there should be a new Mechanic NPC called "Mechanic's instuctor"
what he does is almost like the guide but gives advice on simple wiring. as you go into Hardmode and beat certain bosses. he might give you advice including Teleporters, Traps, etc..

he is obtained by having:
999 wire in your inventory
one of the 3 wrenches
and an open NPC home.

i think this thing is cool for the update because people usually skip over Wires because they don't know anything about them. so this would be good to help new Terrarians to the wonder way of Laziness (#InstructorLazyMuch)!

How about a mechanical guardian type thing. Created with parts from the Tinkerer, Mechanic, Steampunk, and some more rare ones you find you can craft a human sized robot that simply wanders a small area and attacks any enemies it comes across. Place it with the wireless power source and it won't move more than a few tiles away from it

Maybe have it where you can set a starting wiring point and then you can go somewhere and make another point and the wire in your inventory is used as it instantly wires them together in the way that uses the least amount of wire? If you add three more wire colors it will be easier to avoid wiring entanglements. Make statues do more things, I noticed in 1.3 the mushroom statue glows. Make more statues do stuff! Also, maybe have automated defense systems, like turrets, they can be many of various strengths to be used throughout the game. We can hook them up to NPC triggered pressure plates for simple base defense. Not just the traps, but actual defense turrets, like have a turret mount. You can put weapons on it, like an UZI or a Terra Blade or a Sniper Rifle and when triggired it fires a projectile that does damage to any entity, including yourself, at 3/4 the damage it would regularly do.

A way to remove portals after being shot from a portal gun

Yes it ain't mech stuff but damn sure needs to be mentioned somewhere

I think there should be at least one new boss,dyed wrenches,prehardmode spiked ball trap,a yo yo that can place wires,pineapple armor,maybe a mechanical wrench drop from any mech boss dat has more range,tripwire,mechanical pet or something lik,new potions,maybe some more timers,new dart traps,granite and marble bosses,when mechanic dies she drops wires and a rare chance she can drop a wrench,more statues dat can be active. And dats it dats all my ideas for now:p

Last edited:
I never am really into wiring, but I got some ideas!

- A block that can push other blocks (Use hammer to change direction)
- A block that can push/pull other blocks (Use hammer to change direction)
- More wire colors, you can never have enough.
- Mechanic now sells basic wrench (Black), but can be combined with a gemstone at an anvil to change color.
Basic wrench wiring connects to all wire colors.
- Pipes to send items through! (Connects with chests)
- Wire Actuators (Makes it so signals are prevented from traveling through)
- LASERS! (They send signals without placing individual blocks of wiring, but are expensive)
- All dart traps, super dart traps, etc. are now craft-able!
- Item activated pressure plates (Pressure plates that are activated when items are dropped on them)
- That is all I got!

More info on items I stated
Pipes:
- Pipes of different materials send items different speeds. Use gemstones to mark pipes so that they can overlap, but not connect (Like different colored wires)
- Pipes that aren't marked connect to all gemstone marked pipes
- Use a hammer to select the starter pipe (Marked with arrows facing away from chest) and ending pipe (Marked with arrows facing toward chest)
- Sorting pipes. They sort items based on type (accessories, armor, tools), rarity, or, selected items and send them in the selected path. These also connect to all pipes, but can be marked with gemstones.
- If a pipe forks into two pipes without a sorter pipe, items choose a random pipe.
- Suction pipes that pull in items lying on the ground (They start off pipe systems like starter pipes connected to chests)
- Pipes can be deactivated through wiring, so items will stop.
- Launching pipe. Launches items instead of dropping them
- Destroyer pipe. Like the sorting pipe, but instead destroys selected items instead of sending them a selected path (Once again can be based on rarity, type, or your choice. Also has a destroy all option)
- Pipes are not visible unless you are holding an item that displays wires, or pipes themselves

Lasers:
- Can only travel through glass, actuated blocks, or air.
- Lasers can not collide with each other, only pass through each other.
- Ment for long distance wiring without the hassel of placing wires
- Requires a block that takes power from lasers.
- Always visible
- Can only travel up to 1,000 blocks
- Passing through gemstone blocks changes laser color
- Passing through the waterfall, lavafall, honeyfall, and confetti blocks give lasers special abilities
- Waterfall blocks make lasers travel 500 blocks farther (Stackable)
- Lavafall blocks make lasers deal 10 damage per second, not reduced by armor (Can be increased by using consecutive blocks)
- Honeyfall blacks make lasers give the honey regen buff
- Confetti blocks make lasers take a rainbow effect (Like rainbow bricks)

I never am really into wiring, but I got some ideas!

- A block that can push other blocks (Use hammer to change direction)
- A block that can push/pull other blocks (Use hammer to change direction)
- More wire colors, you can never have enough.
- Mechanic now sells basic wrench (Black), but can be combined with a gemstone at an anvil to change color.
Basic wrench wiring connects to all wire colors.
- Pipes to send items through! (Connects with chests)
- Wire Actuators (Makes it so signals are prevented from traveling through)
- LASERS! (They send signals without placing individual blocks of wiring, but are expensive)
- All dart traps, super dart traps, etc. are now craft-able!
- Item activated pressure plates (Pressure plates that are activated when items are dropped on them)
- That is all I got!

More info on items I stated
Pipes:
- Pipes of different materials send items different speeds. Use gemstones to mark pipes so that they can overlap, but not connect (Like different colored wires)
- Pipes that aren't marked connect to all gemstone marked pipes
- Use a hammer to select the starter pipe (Marked with arrows facing away from chest) and ending pipe (Marked with arrows facing toward chest)
- Sorting pipes. They sort items based on type (accessories, armor, tools), rarity, or, selected items and send them in the selected path. These also connect to all pipes, but can be marked with gemstones.
- If a pipe forks into two pipes without a sorter pipe, items choose a random pipe.
- Suction pipes that pull in items lying on the ground (They start off pipe systems like starter pipes connected to chests)
- Pipes can be deactivated through wiring, so items will stop.
- Launching pipe. Launches items instead of dropping them
- Destroyer pipe. Like the sorting pipe, but instead destroys selected items instead of sending them a selected path (Once again can be based on rarity, type, or your choice. Also has a destroy all option)
- Pipes are not visible unless you are holding an item that displays wires, or pipes themselves

Lasers:
- Can only travel through glass, actuated blocks, or air.
- Lasers can not collide with each other, only pass through each other.
- Ment for long distance wiring without the hassel of placing wires
- Requires a block that takes power from lasers.
- Always visible
- Can only travel up to 1,000 blocks
- Passing through gemstone blocks changes laser color
- Passing through the waterfall, lavafall, honeyfall, and confetti blocks give lasers special abilities
- Waterfall blocks make lasers travel 500 blocks farther (Stackable)
- Lavafall blocks make lasers deal 10 damage per second, not reduced by armor (Can be increased by using consecutive blocks)
- Honeyfall blacks make lasers give the honey regen buff
- Confetti blocks make lasers take a rainbow effect (Like rainbow bricks)
Sweet ur ideas ar pretty cool but u forgot one thing pineapple armor

Some of this has probably already been suggested, but if so, this can be counted as support for those items.

Support for colour-blind people; addition of black and white wire
Give the existing red, green and blue wires / wrenches a pattern so they can be distinguished
Add black and white wires / wrenches, obtainable from the Mechanic when the others are available.

Endless bag of wire
Similar to the Endless Quiver and Musket Balls. Crafted with 4 stacks of 999 wire.

Make timers easier to obtain; more timers
Currently timers require a watch and wire, so they're not easily or readily obtained. (Need chains and bars for watches.) I'd prefer an easier way of obtaining them; perhaps Stone Block + Wire instead, or being directly purchased from the Mechanic.
Also, more timers please: 2, 4 and 10 second timers.

More signal sources
Objects that can produce a wire signal at the start of night and the start of day. (I.e. a wire pulse at 7:30pm and 4:30am.) An obvious example use for this would be turning lights on and off.
Objects that produce a wire signal each in-game minute and each in-game hour. (I'm not sure if Terrarian time can be represented using real world time; if so, please disregard.)

Wireless transmitters
Red, green and blue variants; plus colours to match any new wire colours. If a wire signal reaches a transmitter, it will be passed onto the other transmitter. Of course, the colouring means you can only have one pair of transmitters for each colour, and this is fine. It would make building long teleporters much easier. :)

Developers, thank you for continuing to support, improve and update Terraria!

Last edited:
Weight Sensors?
Can't remember exact English name for these.

Anyway, basically they would be placed like actuators are (meaning they can be placed on any blocks) and when this block is stepped on or you/world generation places something on the block (*wink wink*) it would be continously activated until you move yourself/whatever you placed on it.

Scenario when world generation decides to hate you;
You're strolling down a cave you found, you then spot a chest, a glorious, golden chest.
We all love to take chests with us to store things in right? But, wait... you feel something isn't right but brush it of when you see a bat coming for you, just a bat.
You take the chest but you then hear a very ominous beep, you jump as a reaction, but get caught in a TNT explosion.

You now do what a lot of people do and go back to get the gold you drop, and go about exploring again, very cautiously this time, maybe a bit too cautious as when you see a boulder above the path you want to take, you go up to remove it, but it was a feint... another TNT explosion...

I know, TNT TNT TNT, I've just got bad imagination and can't think of other scenarios but TNT explosions.
Maybe the whole "room" for the boulder is actuated, not only the bottom and to the left of the boulder is a dart trap that hits you and you fall to your death lol.

These could obviously be used in a number of ways, both in Single Player, Multiplayer, puzzle maps and well, a lot of stuff.
As anything would trigger these, be it boulders, yourself or anything you place on them, I think there could be some fun to be had, both with player creations, and with world generation.

Obviously, placing something on a tile with these weight sensors on, without wiring it to something first, but wire it to like a door or actuated wall or something afterwards would make it trigger whatever it is when the placed object above the sensor is removed.
While placing the weight sensor on a block, wiring it to whatever you want and then place the object/walk over would then trigger it instead.

Not sure how easy/hard this would be to make as you can most the time walk on blocks with placed objects on them though.

There would be 3 types of weight sensors - Player, NPC or all, because (re)logic.

Oh and if this were to make it in game then I also suggest an accessory (Has to be equipped) that lets you see wiring even if you're not holding something like a wrench.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom