PC Terraria takes ages to load... like ages..

Croc

Eye of Cthulhu
So i boot up terraria and steam processes it but it takes like a million years to actually initialize... the process is alive under task manager but im wondering why it takes so long to start up

My specs :)

Nvidia Gtx 960
Intel Core I5-3470 CPU 3.20GHz
8 Gig ram
Windows 10, however this problem was also on my windows 8.1

Any more info needed?

Last edited:
Ages... millions of years... Hyperboles aren't really helpful in this case.
How long does it really take to load the game?

Ages... millions of years... Hyperboles aren't really helpful in this case.
How long does it really take to load the game?
It seems to be a problem with playing offline, it took an average of 30 seconds to boot up when im online... yet a few mins when offline

During those few mins i would usually go make a sandwich therefore it wasn't a total waste :3

I'm guessing Steam is the actual culprit here then.
Well, I'm glad it isn't an actual millions of years. Imagine finishing loading up the game for your grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-<...>grand-grand-grand-grand-grandchildren to play only to be just in time to see the Sun swallow the Earth.:sigh:

I'm guessing Steam is the actual culprit here then.
Well, I'm glad it isn't an actual millions of years. Imagine finishing loading up the game for your grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-<...>grand-grand-grand-grand-grandchildren to play only to be just in time to see the Sun swallow the Earth.:sigh:

"Son, tell your son and his son after his, to relay this message untill the Re-Logic splash screen appears on that old windows 10 desktop over there"

*Cough-Cough*

"I dont have much time left son, grant me this dying wish that you will make sure that you rebuild the doors on my house.... "

*Dies*

Can confirm the OP. On Linux (running on a Lenovo X200s Thinkpad) Terraria took 30 seconds to get to the Re-Logic splash, then an extra 15 seconds before it actually got to the main menu. Doesn't matter whether I launch from Steam or not, online, offline, or what-have-you.

if my network card is disabled while launching terraria, it seems to not start (or take so much time that I'm not gonna bother timing it, more than 30 seconds at least)
then just enabling it makes terraria startup immediately (even without restarting the process itself)

don't know if that's helpful.

Have you updated Steam yet? If not, that might be the problem.
PC (Windows):
1. Open File Explorer and look for the file: steam.exe
2. Double click on it for it to check for an update.
3. Wait for the update to be installed, then double click on the Steam shortcut to verify the update.
5. Wait.
6. Once complete, launch Terraria from either shortcut or Steam.
Hope that helps!
P.S. I had this problem as well. I messed around with File Explorer until I came across the soloution. Go figure.
On a side note, if you did the above and tried to launch Terraria but it says that it's already open, just wait and it will open by itself.

Back
Top Bottom