Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that is why we need a Screw Driver tool. It will work like a hammer does, changing the shape/way something it's facing, but for wiring items. The motors you would put on the ends of the rails facing the other way if you want it to go back. Or along the rail the same way but set at a different speed if you want it to change speed on the rails. Also the Screw Driver tool could work like this. Left-click will change the way something if facing, and right-click changes it's setting. For the motors left-click would turn which way it's facing and right-click would change it's speed.
Also something else to note. The motor only needs to push on 1 Rail Wheel to move a group. So if you have Rail Wheels on blocks in a 4x4 square. The motor just needs to be active and touch one of the Rail Wheels to move it and all the ones connected. Players will be able to make elevators as well as crushing hazards in custom maps. :dryadgrin:
Sonic1_marblezonepillars.png
Iggy's_Castle_Crusher_Room.PNG
castlevaniasmashytraps.png

Yes. I was thinking a screwdriver would be useful. I made one for one of my other suggestions. I first though it could be used for my Sentry Guns, but I wanted other uses for it as well. So far the only other thing I could come up with was rotating traps. I don't mind if it could be used for the rails. I think the Sonic Screwdriver could also be used for that. Come to think of it the left-click right-click thing would help with the portal sentry gun I was working on. I wanted a way to change the color.

With the yellow wire addition, then you should have plenty of room. With more wiring options, like logic gates, a lot of things should be even easier to make.

Though it would be nice to have an actual "drawbridge" or otherwise movable blocks/platforms.

The yellow wire is good news and will help with some of my builds. I was hoping for yellow if we could only have one. I also wanted pink but it looks like that's not going to happen.

Still that doesn't solve my problem if the wires are switched from pulse to active/inactive. One of my builds is in such a way that a second wire can't get to where it would need to go without hitting actuators. I actually don't mind that logic gates will be added to the game as long as the wires stay pulse based. I never got the hang of logic gates and it's been years since I had to worry about them, so I can't think of any benefits they would bring. I can think of some useful things like breakers and a delay switch that could be helpful but I don't know if they could be used to build logic gates.

I do want actual drawbridges as well. The kind that rises and lowers. Still I wouldn't mind something that slides out and extends. Maybe I could add something like that to my thread.

Anyone else want Mining/Editing protective fields? So you could setup some devices that prevent mining or exploding blocks in an area around them?

I'd like to see that and some sort of password or ID system, so you could make a location only accessible to certain people. That would require being able to hold items with usernames/labels/passwords on them though or something like that. It would allow for a lot of interesting designs and setups however.

Magical or tech passworded doors and chests could be a thing. Also really like the idea of protective field generators to stop people digging and blowing up my stuff. I would be able to fearlessly receive trading guests on my actual homeworld.

Still that doesn't solve my problem if the wires are switched from pulse to active/inactive. One of my builds is in such a way that a second wire can't get to where it would need to go without hitting actuators. I actually don't mind that logic gates will be added to the game as long as the wires stay pulse based. I never got the hang of logic gates and it's been years since I had to worry about them, so I can't think of any benefits they would bring. I can think of some useful things like breakers and a delay switch that could be helpful but I don't know if they could be used to build logic gates.

I do want actual drawbridges as well. The kind that rises and lowers. Still I wouldn't mind something that slides out and extends. Maybe I could add something like that to my thread.

It seems like there is going to be some sort of hybrid system from Yoraiz0r's profile talk. Current systems will remain pulsed and seem to hook up to something that will make a constant signal (and turned on/off by the pulse or something like that). "the workaround that is to create a device that maintains on/off signal." is what he agreed is going on:

31r5w1R.gif

And you can stack more of those "gate lamps" things on it, it seems. So maybe this will allow you to use constant signals if you want? I am not sure.

I may be simply talking logic gates but don't think this quite fits. I'd like the ability to disable timers, wires, pressure plates... pretty much any device that can send a signal.

I know I can simply manually deactivate but there are scenarios where that doesn't work, i.e: the .33 second increase to dart trap timers with no correlating 1/3/5s timer wastes downtime. Engines for activation become much more efficient in this scenario but that leaves few options to stop the cycle.

I've currently resigned myself to block spawned mob access to my pressure plate engine but would love to simply be able to "turn off" the wire linking the respawn plate to the statue.

Capture 2015-08-25 21_14_51.png
Capture 2015-08-25 21_15_22.png

Capture 2015-08-25 21_16_11.png
Capture 2015-08-25 21_16_31.png

Last edited:
I may be simply talking logic gates but don't think this quite fits. I'd like the ability to disable timers, wires, pressure plates... pretty much any device that can send an signal.

An AND gate should do the trick. Make it so that the timer and the on/off goes to the AND gate. If the switch is off, no signal will ever be sent out of it. If the switch is on, then the signal will turn on and off in accordance with the timer.

That said, I am not 100% sure how the logic lamps work. But I am presuming they switch between on and off each time they receive a signal. That would mean that the timers take twice as long, since the first click turns it on, and the second turns it off. That's how the gif makes it look anyhow. Hopefully we'll get quicker timers or user-configurable timers.

Though, this does make stuff a bit bulky. It would be nice to have more complicated Circuit Boxes where you can put in complicated logic into a smaller space.

It seems like there is going to be some sort of hybrid system from Yoraiz0r's profile talk. Current systems will remain pulsed and seem to hook up to something that will make a constant signal (and turned on/off by the pulse or something like that). "the workaround that is to create a device that maintains on/off signal." is what he agreed is going on:

31r5w1R.gif

And you can stack more of those "gate lamps" things on it, it seems. So maybe this will allow you to use constant signals if you want? I am not sure.

Well that looks good to me. It rules out my large breaker idea but maybe the small breaker could still do something.

31r5w1R.gif

Well that looks good to me. It rules out my large breaker idea but maybe the small breaker could still do something.

I think the only caveat I'd add is maybe instead of two leads off it like the sprite is currently it simply has a slightly larger square with the sides as the leads?

Turn those rectangles on their side and put them on two sides instead of just off the one... maybe future plan. Could also design a third lead that way if so desired.

Still, this opens all sorts of possibilities.

I know this feed is for wiring ideas for the next update, but may I suggest improvements to the underground desert? I feel its really underutilized and it could make an excellent boss themed battle or new item themed area.

This is just a suggestion so I hope some of you might find it interesting thanks!

I think the only caveat I'd add is maybe instead of two leads off it like the sprite is currently it simply has a slightly larger square with the sides as the leads?

Turn those rectangles on their side and put them on two sides instead of just off the one... maybe future plan. Could also design a third lead that way if so desired.

Still, this opens all sorts of possibilities.

Well I guess they could redo the looks. From what I took away from that gif is that both of those silver bits need to be active for the greed block to be active. I am guessing that's what an and gate is like. Still looks like they are doing the pulse toggling which makes me happy.

I think we could use item transfer nodes, chest sorting mechanic, custom timing timers, Wireless teleporter boxes, wire current repeaters for whitch wire exicution to do first, and astronaut npc who sells moon items after beating moon lord like moon rover pet/dusty wheel, hoble telescope pet/mysterieus lens, moon buggey mount/moon car keys, telescope vanity block, astronaut ice-cream/well fedd buff 50 minutes/locked chest. Now the wireing contines hoppers/item vaccumes ,pistons and now ze peise of resitiance the quarry
[DOUBLEPOST=1440572443,1440571925][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think we could use item transfer nodes, chest sorting mechanic, custom timing timers, Wireless teleporter boxes, wire current repeaters for whitch wire exicution to do first, and astronaut npc who sells moon items after beating moon lord like moon rover pet/dusty wheel, hoble telescope pet/mysterieus lens, moon buggey mount/moon car keys, telescope vanity block, astronaut ice-cream/well fedd buff 50 minutes/locked chest. Now the wireing contines hoppers/item vaccumes ,pistons and now ze peise of resitiance the quarry
Plz note ill degsin the astronaut. Npc and the items by the end of august

[DOUBLEPOST=1440572443,1440571925][/DOUBLEPOST]
Plz note ill degsin the astronaut. Npc and the items by the end of august
Actualy no i wont cuz i cant desing stuff

I don't know if it's been said but all I want for a wiring update is for larger circuits to work consistently on multiplayer servers. I have had issues with larger circuits of usually actuators not activating all the time when switched, resulting in half the actuators being on and the other half being off. AKA a nightmare of wiring. Just my thoughts thanks for reading.

Now this was a game(and subject) worth getting on the forums for!! :)
I already read alot of nice ideas but wanted to put my 10 cents in as well.
My ideas are as follows.
Sensors.
These come in different types like a friend or foe sensor(so your NPC's don't get killed by your traps all the time.) and a weapon trigger sensor that activates any traps in the sensors range so that u could have more then 1 trap linked to it but only activates the nearest ones to the sensor contact.

A Friend or Foe contact panel would be helpfull as well so that neutral mobs(like bunnies) don't keep triggering your traps.

I would also love to see more different traps in the game, like sideway spear traps and teleporter traps(that port u inside lava for example) as well as summoner traps that u can salvage and unleash on enemies.
An idea for another NPC might be a Kennel master who sells u attack dogs that u can order to guard an area(or your base) and who are hostile to mobs.
However for them to work u need to put up electric fences that show the dogs how far their guard zone is and link them to the Dog Kennel.(see below.)
U could buy a Dog Kennel from the Kennel Master NPC(for a high price) to act as the spawn point for them.
As for how they attack, they would attack either as jumping trough enemies or clamping onto them like the Spider minions do.

For the rest i think that Sky platforms(like in Starcraft 2) that u can build high in the air outfitted with thrusters and who u can activate to change height for a while(working as elevators)would be a nice idea as well.
Maybe create a special,expensive crafting station for it and making it available mid-hardmode so u could build yourself a sky base if the corruption runs rampart on said world.

Another device that would come in handy for base protection would be enemy dampeners, these would reduce(if not remove) the spawn rate of certain enemies(say Wyverns) in an area that the normally spawn in, but only work if they are linked to a switch so that u could switch it off or on if u wanted to.
This way u could build a base in Biomes that are normally very hostile to NPC's. Especially enemies that go trough blocks like Worms or Wyverns.
However, they would not work for any bosses or for event summoned enemies(like Blood moon, Solar Ecplipse ect)

Thats all i can think of for now, hope u guys like it!

Reactions: JK0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom