Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they could
store the items into the entity data so it would be safe to move. Or just move empty chest, that could be fun too. There should also be a spinning motor, so you could spin things around like the spike balls in the dungeon.
Yeah, I thought about also making some kind of Turn Wheel that will rotate objects as they move along the rails or just sitting in place, kind of like this. --->
250px-NSMB_W2-Tower.png

But I don't know for sure what all the limitations of the game engine are. Because I saw on 1 post they said they can't add more than 4 wire colors. :dryadcry:

But if they could do it. You could place a Turning Wheel use a Screw Driver to set it's speed and connect Frames to it to make swinging things like this. --->
2.png

I also had the idea for a Free Wheel that would move things along the rail when a player or mobs run into them. Then you could make push-able blocks.

Link_Push.gif

That all sounds like a bit too many types of blocks. I think they should just make it so you can hammer the block to change it's type. Like maybe have A-G note Blocks and the Flat-Block, Sharp-Block, Pitch+ and - Blocks all be the same kind of block, you just hit with a hammer to change it's type. The same can be done for the delay blocks.

The reason I don't think hammering the block would work for the complexities of having the whole note/pitch/sharp/flat in a single block would be mainly because current blocks only have so many states when hammered:
  • Full Block
  • Half Block
  • Slope Down/Left
  • Slope Down/Right
  • Slope Up/Left
  • Slope Up/Right
That's only six states. there are 7 whole notes in a scale, which already says the note cannot be hammered into all the notes using the current standards. It'd be more complex to use hammering of blocks to make different notes than the current hammering system allows for modifying blocks.

Okay, I have refined my Rail idea for 1.3.1

Here are the parts.

Y1kd7VV.png
Rails: Can be placed like an Actuator and allows Rail Wheels to move along them. (Horizontal, Vertical, Corner, Intersecting, and End piece of Rails)

xmTCg1z.png
Rail Wheel: Can be placed like an Actuator and is moved by Rail Motors. When a Rail Wheel is on an active Rail Motor it is pushed along the rail and takes any object with it that it is placed on. It will keep it's same speed until it hits another Rail Motor or reaches the end of the rail.

DokOb0B.png
Rail Frames: Can be placed like an Actuator and it does not move by Rail Motors. When placed next to a Rail Wheel or other Frames, Rail Frames will connect to them and will be pulled with Rail Wheels that are moving. Also moves objects they are placed on.

QYgnT9N.png
(Connected Rail Frames)

iJzRTmQ.png
Rail Motors: Can be placed like an Actuator and pushes Rail Wheels along Rails. Left-click with a Screw Driver to change directions.

QctYrAG.png
Rail Motors set at different speeds. Right-click with a Screw Driver to change speeds. (The black one on the right is an inactive Motor.)

This system will let players make all crazy kinds of moving devices.

Here is an example of a basic moving platform that moves horizontally. (Wire View)

rn4rPVA.jpg

Simply place Rail Motors on the ends of the rails to move Rail Wheels back and forth from end to end. (I used Living Fire in place of Lava just because it's easier to place and remove)

For custom maps you can make things more interesting by starting the Motors turned off and placing a switch players must hit to turn the Motors on. (Wire View)

QTnDJNq.jpg

Or if you want to make it harder, don't use blocks or a platform. Make a moving rope they have to climb on. (Normal View)

9k99NEj.jpg

(Wire View)
37YC4sX.jpg

(Note that Frames move with the Wheel they are connected too and pull objects they are placed on.)

With this Rail system custom maps can also have new kinds of hazards. Like these "smashers" in the picture below. (Normal View)

vBCTIBy.jpg

(Wire View)
BvN1OkQ.jpg

Place a Motor set on a slow speed at the bottom aimed up to make the blocks go up slowly, and place a Motor set at a fast speed aimed down to make the blocks drop down fast to smash players unfortunate to be caught under them. XD

They really need some kind of button that only activates things for 1 tick so we can make some cool elevators.
nynfdwY.jpg

Press the button to activate the Motor at the bottom just for a sec to send the platform up. With it off after the platform is sent up, it will stop when you go back down and it hits the off Motor. (I just made a red dot on Light Switches to make a button.)

These are just some of the basics of what can be done with Rails. I know we will see custom maps with all crazy kinds of platforming puzzles and hazards.
shHzpgz.jpg

(Normal View)

ysGtYxO.jpg

(Wire View)

Any questions? :dryadsmile:

I love this. You should make a thread in the suggestion area. I would like for them to move chests or rotate the object but I get the feeling that would be too hard to code.

Delayers: will delay a wire signal between 1 and 5 seconds.

Converters: will convert one color of wire to another when powered.

I like both these ideas and made a thread about them. They would be very helpful. A way to make a pulse jump from one wire to another could eliminate the need for another more wire colors.

Some easy to use logic gates, so wire can be used by people without alot of technical experience.

Here is a 1.3.1 spoiler. It looks like a fairly easy to use logic gate.
31r5w1R.gif

Binary memory cells: to keep track of on and off signals passing by.

Inverters: Will invert the wire signal.

Updators: Will create a stable signal when a solid block is in its place. (the convayor belts and updators are invisible like the wire when not holding mechanic items.)

How would that work? The wires in Terraria are pulse based. If an item has on/off states it will simply switch between them when it gets a pulse.

A block that will change color depending on what the color of the wire wich is powering it is. (great for making animations.)

That would be cool. It would be limited to only 4 colors but it would be cool.

We need alot more wire colors, and let it be one wrench and one wire cutter, and make it to where we can just scroll trough colors.

We will be getting yellow wire in the next update. However the game engine will only alow for 4 wire colors. At least that's what Cenx said.
zrgyDPR.gif

hi i am updating this from my previous idea ok so i think that a item like a glass case which can be placed in anyway possible the crafting recipe would be 25 glass blocks and 25 wire or you can buy it from the macaneic for 10 silver you get 15 for 1 buy.
next is a pipe the recipe would be 20 iron bars and 10 silver bars you get 5 for crafting you cant buy it.
you connect the pipe to a glass case and wire it to the glass case and the second end of the pipe should be connected to a chest.
Then when a item drops in the glass case it disapears and the item gos through the pipe and in the chest.
this can be helpful if your farming statues like slime to get slime staff.

My idea isn't related to wiring and mechanics but this would be a nice addition for the multiplayer.

Using the "Up-Key" on your keyboard should let you scroll through your last messages and commands that you've used before so you can resend them over and over again (very useful for servers and their owners - and there are plugins to prevent spamming the chat so this feature wouldnt cause any "damage").

Using the "Scroll-Wheel" on your mouse should scroll through all messages that were sen't.

Thank you.
you can just do ctrl c and ctrl v to copy comments / commands

It may not be too wiring related, but it would be cool if there was a way to put custom music (youtube, media player, etc) onto a music box in Terraria which would then play that music for everyone to hear. Would it even be possible?

It may not be too wiring related, but it would be cool if there was a way to put custom music (youtube, media player, etc) onto a music box in Terraria which would then play that music for everyone to hear. Would it even be possible?
I'm pretty sure that's impossible (at least on servers) unless you can somehow put the music file into the world file to broadcast it out to everyone on the server. But I'm not sure. It's a pretty safe guess to say it's impossible though.
You think this idea needs it's own thread? If 4 other people say yes this needs it's own thread I will make one. XD
yes this needs it's own thread

I'm pretty sure that's impossible (at least on servers) unless you can somehow put the music file into the world file to broadcast it out to everyone on the server. But I'm not sure. It's a pretty safe guess to say it's impossible though.

Damn I just can't turn it off. The ideas I have, there is just too many. >_< I just had a new one. Why not something like a Floater? You would place them like an Actuator on blocks and other items and it will cause them to sit on top of liquids. This would be another cool thing for making puzzles in custom maps.
s1-lz-objectsimg6full.png

There are problems with that. Actuators are not placed on blocks, but on the world grid. So if the blocks move, the actuators would stay still. Worse, water doesn't have to fill up the grid, so you'd have floating blocks that could be half in one block and half in another. By itself that would be fine, (if the engine can handle it), but it gets a lot more complicated if there are actual actuators also on the mechanism layer. You'd basically need another layer or mechanism model for this to work, and you'd have to require or make a wire system that can handle moving blocks. Pretty complicated.

I don't mean to shoot this down. I am just pointing out it would be really difficult.

It might be easier to make non-block entities that float and that the player can stand on. As for wiring such stuff, that would be much harder. Though theoretically you could make it so they can only move in a particular fashion and hence allow wire or something else to cover that limited movement area.

I would like to see stuff that floats, and moving mechanisms though. I think engine limitations might make this tricky without a lot of extra work though.

There are problems with that. Actuators are not placed on blocks, but on the world grid. So if the blocks move, the actuators would stay still. Worse, water doesn't have to fill up the grid, so you'd have floating blocks that could be half in one block and half in another. By itself that would be fine, (if the engine can handle it), but it gets a lot more complicated if there are actual actuators also on the mechanism layer. You'd basically need another layer or mechanism model for this to work, and you'd have to require or make a wire system that can handle moving blocks. Pretty complicated.

I don't mean to shoot this down. I am just pointing out it would be really difficult.

It might be easier to make non-block entities that float and that the player can stand on. As for wiring such stuff, that would be much harder. Though theoretically you could make it so they can only move in a particular fashion and hence allow wire or something else to cover that limited movement area.

I would like to see stuff that floats, and moving mechanisms though. I think engine limitations might make this tricky without a lot of extra work though.
Yeah, I know somethings may not be possible with the limitations of the game engine. Still I will wait until a Dev tells me that to be disappointed. XD Beach Balls float, until they turn back into a dropped item so players can pick them back up again. Yeah it would be weird but they could still make the blocks just at the closest point of the water level but still in the grid. Weird, but it would still be something. Or maybe they turn into non-block entities when a liquid hits them and they float, and turn into a block and snap to the nearest grid point when there is no liquid or the player moves to far away.

Hmm, the only big non-mechanic thing I'd like is a potion bag. Like a Safe or Piggy Bank, but it only holds potions. When you hit the buff button, it treats all potions in your potion bag like they are in your inventory. That would be nice.

Looking for some mechanics? Let's see...
-Lunar Wires/Pressure Plates- Wires that can only bee seen by whomever placed them
-Custom Event Spawner- A configurable device that allows a player to make their own event using existing enemies. Kill value/Enemies spawned/Event name can be edited to serve as a challenge or for usage on a custom map or server.
-Automated Miner- A creatable NPC that mines ores that can then be retrieved from it at any time. Takes damage from mobs but is not directly targeted.

But out of all, I would most like to have this:
-Herald of Darkness/Herald of Pain- A device that, when triggered, turns a random block nearby into Corruption/Crimson, respectively. Darkness is crafted from Crimson materials, and Pain from Corruption Materials. Allows the creation of the other biomes without assistance from other worlds.

Hm... I would like to see unobtainable (without inventory editing) "Admin items" that can give you infinite stacks of everything in your inventory, give noclipping, give full light level across the entire screen, give infinite day/night, start any event instantly, etc. and a vanilla server command system complete with admin privileges so that only certain people can use the above stated admin items to keep from every server ever being destroyed by griefers. Of course, the admin items would be useable in single player as well.

Some time ago I suggested, how logic gates could possibly be designed and the addition of circuit boards: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/wiring-megathread.72984/page-4#post-3075737

I thought a little about how the latter could possibly be realized with a mod and I guess, the chest mechanics would be a good start, since everything, that you place there stays at the position you put it. Well, the hardest part would be programming some kind of parser/handler-mechanic that handles the circuit.

Another spontaneous idea would be some kind of BPM-Timer, where you could set the rate manually. Imagine someone creates some kind of in-game light-show for a song he/she is playing during a terraria video and other cool stuff.

This is totally unrelated to mechanics...

But I think you should be able to change your clothes style at a dresser. And have stylist exclusive styles.

°_°I'lldieifyoudon'taddthis°_°
Ò_ó................................ò_Ó
:nursecrying::merchantcry:;(:nursecrying::merchantcry:;(

Last edited:
Hm... I would like to see unobtainable (without inventory editing) "Admin items" that can give you infinite stacks of everything in your inventory, give noclipping, give full light level across the entire screen, give infinite day/night, start any event instantly, etc. and a vanilla server command system complete with admin privileges so that only certain people can use the above stated admin items to keep from every server ever being destroyed by griefers. Of course, the admin items would be useable in single player as well.
And when I was a kid, I wished Santa Claus was real. I grew out of my kid dreams though.

Okay, I have refined my Rail idea for 1.3.1

Here are the parts.

Y1kd7VV.png
Rails: Can be placed like an Actuator and allows Rail Wheels to move along them. (Horizontal, Vertical, Corner, Intersecting, and End piece of Rails)

xmTCg1z.png
Rail Wheel: Can be placed like an Actuator and is moved by Rail Motors. When a Rail Wheel is on an active Rail Motor it is pushed along the rail and takes any object with it that it is placed on. It will keep it's same speed until it hits another Rail Motor or reaches the end of the rail.

DokOb0B.png
Rail Frames: Can be placed like an Actuator and it does not move by Rail Motors. When placed next to a Rail Wheel or other Frames, Rail Frames will connect to them and will be pulled with Rail Wheels that are moving. Also moves objects they are placed on.

QYgnT9N.png
(Connected Rail Frames)

iJzRTmQ.png
Rail Motors: Can be placed like an Actuator and pushes Rail Wheels along Rails. Left-click with a Screw Driver to change directions.

QctYrAG.png
Rail Motors set at different speeds. Right-click with a Screw Driver to change speeds. (The black one on the right is an inactive Motor.)

This system will let players make all crazy kinds of moving devices.

Here is an example of a basic moving platform that moves horizontally. (Wire View)

rn4rPVA.jpg

Simply place Rail Motors on the ends of the rails to move Rail Wheels back and forth from end to end. (I used Living Fire in place of Lava just because it's easier to place and remove)

For custom maps you can make things more interesting by starting the Motors turned off and placing a switch players must hit to turn the Motors on. (Wire View)

QTnDJNq.jpg

Or if you want to make it harder, don't use blocks or a platform. Make a moving rope they have to climb on. (Normal View)

9k99NEj.jpg

(Wire View)
37YC4sX.jpg

(Note that Frames move with the Wheel they are connected too and pull objects they are placed on.)

With this Rail system custom maps can also have new kinds of hazards. Like these "smashers" in the picture below. (Normal View)

vBCTIBy.jpg

(Wire View)
BvN1OkQ.jpg

Place a Motor set on a slow speed at the bottom aimed up to make the blocks go up slowly, and place a Motor set at a fast speed aimed down to make the blocks drop down fast to smash players unfortunate to be caught under them. XD

They really need some kind of button that only activates things for 1 tick so we can make some cool elevators.
nynfdwY.jpg

Press the button to activate the Motor at the bottom just for a sec to send the platform up. With it off after the platform is sent up, it will stop when you go back down and it hits the off Motor. (I just made a red dot on Light Switches to make a button.)

These are just some of the basics of what can be done with Rails. I know we will see custom maps with all crazy kinds of platforming puzzles and hazards.
shHzpgz.jpg

(Normal View)

ysGtYxO.jpg

(Wire View)

Any questions? :dryadsmile:
Yeah, I thought about also making some kind of Turn Wheel that will rotate objects as they move along the rails or just sitting in place, kind of like this. --->
250px-NSMB_W2-Tower.png

But I don't know for sure what all the limitations of the game engine are. Because I saw on 1 post they said they can't add more than 4 wire colors. :dryadcry:

But if they could do it. You could place a Turning Wheel use a Screw Driver to set it's speed and connect Frames to it to make swinging things like this. --->
2.png

I also had the idea for a Free Wheel that would move things along the rail when a player or mobs run into them. Then you could make push-able blocks.

Link_Push.gif
Damn I just can't turn it off. The ideas I have, there is just too many. >_< I just had a new one. Why not something like a Floater? You would place them like an Actuator on blocks and other items and it will cause them to sit on top of liquids. This would be another cool thing for making puzzles in custom maps.
s1-lz-objectsimg6full.png
Oh my God. post this in the suggestions thread RIGHT NOW. WE NEED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111

This is totally unrelated to mechanics...

But I think you should be able to change your clothes style at a dresser. And have stylist exclusive styles.

°_°I'lldieifyoudon'taddthis°_°
Ò_ó................................ò_Ó
:nursecrying::merchantcry:;(:nursecrying::merchantcry:;(
Pretty sure there are already stylist exclusive styles.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441023487,1441023386][/DOUBLEPOST]
Looking for some mechanics? Let's see...
-Lunar Wires/Pressure Plates- Wires that can only bee seen by whomever placed them
-Custom Event Spawner- A configurable device that allows a player to make their own event using existing enemies. Kill value/Enemies spawned/Event name can be edited to serve as a challenge or for usage on a custom map or server.
-Automated Miner- A creatable NPC that mines ores that can then be retrieved from it at any time. Takes damage from mobs but is not directly targeted.

But out of all, I would most like to have this:
-Herald of Darkness/Herald of Pain- A device that, when triggered, turns a random block nearby into Corruption/Crimson, respectively. Darkness is crafted from Crimson materials, and Pain from Corruption Materials. Allows the creation of the other biomes without assistance from other worlds.
Darkness should be corruption, pain should be crimson. Fits better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom