Bladetongue fishing help!!

FrozenToothpaste

Skeletron Prime
I have a: 3 Master Bait (I ran out of this, didn't get the Bladetongue but got the Scaly Truffle) 8 Enchanted Nightcrawlers, Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole and fishing potions.

I have been fishing for about 30 minutes now and got no Bladetongue.

I tried to fish in a crimson chasm and the deepest crimson hole. Nothing but Hemoipiranhas and Crimson Tigerfish.

I tried to go deeper but most of them got infected by hallow so i found a pure ice cave.

In the cave the water was so deep like an ocean. I put lots of crimstone and finally the music changed to underground crimson but the background is a red ice.

Can you get a Bladetongue on surface? I heard they are found in the deep but I didn't get it.

I'm in a small world so tell me which depth to catch the sword and does artificial biomes work?

For best results check the moon phase. The bigger and brighter the moon is, the better. Fish in early morning and late evening, and if it rains that's better still. The wiki's page on fishing has full details on improving your fishing power.

I've got maybe a dozen Bladetongues, sold all but one. I don't recall at what depth I caught them.

For best results check the moon phase. The bigger and brighter the moon is, the better. Fish in early morning and late evening, and if it rains that's better still. The wiki's page on fishing has full details on improving your fishing power.

I've got maybe a dozen Bladetongues, sold all but one. I don't recall at what depth I caught them.

What layer did you catch it on? Cavern? Underground? Surface?
[DOUBLEPOST=1441287503,1441287443][/DOUBLEPOST]4 nightcrawler left...but I think that is fine, I still got the journeyman bait.

For a chance at high-end bait fish up a few Iron or Golden crates and open them. Alternatively, it's easy to grab a few stars at night and worms when it rains.

For a chance at high-end bait fish up a few Iron or Golden crates and open them. Alternatively, it's easy to grab a few stars at night and worms when it rains.
That's not important but the place you were fishing is. Were you on surface, underground or cavern...?

Yuppers, afraid so. I think I've found them at different levels but could be wrong about that, so don't depend on it.

Try fishing in the Cavern - that's where I got mine. Furthermore, it was overlapped Crimson/Ice, so you should be fine fishing there. Also try increasing your fishing power: if you have a Hotline or Golden Rod, use that. And if possible, catch some Lightning Bugs for bait. There are a few accessories that can also help improve fishing power.

You must also be in Hardmode to get the Bladetongue.

It looks like you've done a few fishing quests to get the bait? Take a Sonar Potion so you don't waste the bait on junk. Also perhaps consider a Crate Potion - I know it sounds strange and it shouldn't have an effect on it, but I find I catch more non-fish items (summons, frog legs, swords, etc.) with one active. If you have one spare, it can't hurt to try!
Also take a High Test Fishing Line if you have one - you definitely do not want to hook a Bladetongue and then have your line snap!

Try fishing in the Cavern - that's where I got mine. Furthermore, it was overlapped Crimson/Ice, so you should be fine fishing there. Also try increasing your fishing power: if you have a Hotline or Golden Rod, use that. And if possible, catch some Lightning Bugs for bait. There are a few accessories that can also help improve fishing power.

You must also be in Hardmode to get the Bladetongue.

It looks like you've done a few fishing quests to get the bait? Take a Sonar Potion so you don't waste the bait on junk. Also perhaps consider a Crate Potion - I know it sounds strange and it shouldn't have an effect on it, but I find I catch more non-fish items (summons, frog legs, swords, etc.) with one active. If you have one spare, it can't hurt to try!
Also take a High Test Fishing Line if you have one - you definitely do not want to hook a Bladetongue and then have your line snap!
Thanks for your help, I can't play atm so I'll try this later. Also I think sitting duck works too.

Thanks for your help, I can't play atm so I'll try this later. Also I think sitting duck works too.
Sitting Duck is fine as a rod and I use it on one of my characters. Just that Sitting Duck has 40% power, Hotline has 45% power and Golden has 50% power. It's only a minor thing, but every little bit might help. :)

I do have a supply of bait if you need some more. I will ask though do you have the fishermans pocket guide? This will tell you what your current fishing power is. There is a minimum pool size of 300 water tiles for max power. Aside from early hours with the right moon phase the rest is pretty much up to rng. I managed to catch 3 zephyr pets before I got the crystal serpent :p

I do have a supply of bait if you need some more. I will ask though do you have the fishermans pocket guide? This will tell you what your current fishing power is. There is a minimum pool size of 300 water tiles for max power. Aside from early hours with the right moon phase the rest is pretty much up to rng. I managed to catch 3 zephyr pets before I got the crystal serpent :p

No I don't need a bait. Trying to play Terraria legitly and 3 Zephyr? Nice! I planned to craft about 10 Bloody Spines for a Bone Rattle.

Also no, I don't have the pocket guide, I hate Angler quests because the quest fish is caught only in day and I always go exploring so I couldn't tell what's the time.

But I'm gonna craft a watch and do the quests anyway, because he gives you the sonar potion and is useful because I don't want an Old Shoe.

Also I think the Crystal Serpent is just a Water Bolt but faster projectile yet breaks after a few bounces.

EDIT: Not all Moon Phase helps fishing, right? I once had the pocket guide and my fishing power decreased if I fish underground.

No I don't need a bait. Trying to play Terraria legitly and 3 Zephyr? Nice! I planned to craft about 10 Bloody Spines for a Bone Rattle.

Also no, I don't have the pocket guide, I hate Angler quests because the quest fish is caught only in day and I always go exploring so I couldn't tell what's the time.

But I'm gonna craft a watch and do the quests anyway, because he gives you the sonar potion and is useful because I don't want an Old Shoe.

Also I think the Crystal Serpent is just a Water Bolt but faster projectile yet breaks after a few bounces.

EDIT: Not all Moon Phase helps fishing, right? I once had the pocket guide and my fishing power decreased if I fish underground.
Your fishing power will be decreased if the pool is not large enough to get the full fishing power. Underground does not limit your fishing power. Your fishing power is calculated by your rod, bait, time of day and moon phase, this will then have a penalty applied if the pool is not large enough. Best thing to do is to make a 30x10 which once filled will give you no penalty. This is why I make custom biome fishing spots. Makes the quests so much easier.

Your fishing power will be decreased if the pool is not large enough to get the full fishing power. Underground does not limit your fishing power. Your fishing power is calculated by your rod, bait, time of day and moon phase, this will then have a penalty applied if the pool is not large enough. Best thing to do is to make a 30x10 which once filled will give you no penalty. This is why I make custom biome fishing spots. Makes the quests so much easier.
Thanks I won't fish on a small pool now :happy:

And by the way, my current crimson pool is almost deep and big for about 30 Blood Jellies to fit. Also do you think the Scaly Truffle is rare like the Bladetongue?

Thanks I won't fish on a small pool now :happy:

And by the way, my current crimson pool is almost deep and big for about 30 Blood Jellies to fit. Also do you think the Scaly Truffle is rare like the Bladetongue?
Well the scaly truffle is somewhat rare but not by much, its more rare because of the conditions needed to catch one. Did you catch is while fishing for the Bladetongue?

Holy crap is Terraria kidding me? I used master bait, sitting duck pole, fishing potions and sonar and here's the result:
Uw0h6fH

16 Wood Crates, 2 Gold Crates, 7 Iron Crates, 4 Crimson Crates

Not only that but here's a full list:
- 2 Shrimpy Truffles
- 1 Gold Carp
- 1 Rockfish

Well why? Here's where I fished:
rnwzL2Y

It's so big Crimsoned Ice Cavern so why didn't I get a Bladetongue but rare stuff?

Also I have another problem, the Crimson Mimic I spawn using the Night Key...only drops Tendon Hook and Life Drains and Flesh Knuckles. I spawned it a lot of times but no Dart Pistol?

I believe the cross-biome spot is reducing your chances for the bladetongue. While It would not be impossible to catch one there the simple fact that multiple biomes adds to the list of items that could be caught thus reducing your chance further. I had this issue when fishing for the crystal serpent but since I made specific pools I rarely run in to any kind of issue.

The more biomes, the more items to catch besides the one you want. I recommend as I do everyone and make specific pools. There are two reasons why, one it limits the number of items each biome can give and on top of that makes fishing quests a hell of a lot simpler and easier.

Wow caught it in like 10 seconds. I just saw another thread of a guy trying to get the Bladetongue too and one of the replies said 644 Depth in Large World. I did the same and got it.

My problem is resolved. We can close this thread now.

Thanks to all who helped me :happy:
[DOUBLEPOST=1441383312,1441383194][/DOUBLEPOST]
I believe the cross-biome spot is reducing your chances for the bladetongue. While It would not be impossible to catch one there the simple fact that multiple biomes adds to the list of items that could be caught thus reducing your chance further. I had this issue when fishing for the crystal serpent but since I made specific pools I rarely run in to any kind of issue.

The more biomes, the more items to catch besides the one you want. I recommend as I do everyone and make specific pools. There are two reasons why, one it limits the number of items each biome can give and on top of that makes fishing quests a hell of a lot simpler and easier.
Yea, Ice, Crimson and Purity biome at the same time is crazy. I can't believe I wasted my time there...
EDIT: There was a Hallow too (close)

Back
Top Bottom