Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! I think it would be amazing to have Snickerbobble's florescent beams as another option to use in place of wires. If done right, they could be used to make simple logic gates since they have clear on/off states.

Edit: I guess I'll add my other ideas here too:
  • A device that creates fluid when it gets a signal (and another that can drain fluid)
  • A silver wrench that places silver wires and consumes 5 silver coins for each wire. Cutting the wires would give you back the coins you used to place them.
  • A tool that could easily change blocks to their inactive states, and an accessory that could let the player place inactive blocks.
try the sponge item for the draining liquids

1. Endless Wire Box, crafted using 3998 wire at the Mechanics Station.
'Provides an endless source of red wire'
This item costs, in total around 50 gold to create so only the most keen mechanics should get this item! Its cost, use of only one colour of wire keeps it slightly under what I would think to be OP

A lot of people have suggested an endless spool for an endless source of wire. However 3998 wire would cost almost 2 platinum, not 50 gold unless the cost of wire is cut in half. It would also likely be crafted at the crystal ball like the other endless items. If it could only use one wire color then you would have to make 4 of them, almost 8 platinum. I think it would be better if it was an accessory and destroys wire when you cut it to keep it from being OP.

2. The Sheep (Worms anyone -_-)
Crafted using 1 dynamite and 1 sheep by hand.
'May leave wool behind'
Reference to worms and destroys the same tiles as dynamite except moves for 10 secs then detonates while going 'baaaa!'
Hahaha! I've already seen it somewhere, but it is so funny that I want it in Terraria too... Hahaha
try the sponge item for the draining liquids
I guess he suggested something like the Starbound's Drain (http://starbounder.org/Drain).
You can see its function here:

How about an Axe Lever? It would look like an axe sticking straight out of the ground. When you click it both a pulse will trigger out and the axe will swing down. It will go left or right depending one which way you where facing when placing it. When down you can't use it again until it goes back up. Like with a detonator it will change potions when it receives a pulse. Like with a door it can takes up some space when down it didn't when up and if you place wire to the side you can send a pulse to it that it can't receive when up.
bowser%20vs%20mario%20super%20mario%20bros%20NES_zpskvxub56r.jpg

My ideas...

Time of day timers:
- Day/Night timer switch - causes a switch / to fire - craft using watches of various qualities - usable to create defences which popup during night
- Hour of day timer - more advanced version of Day/Night - can be used to create visual

Storage:
- Counters that increment with every switch, eventually wrapping round
- 0/1 storage (1x1 block, with display)
- Single pin toggles between 1 and 0
- 0-9 storage (2x1 block, with display)
- Left pin increments
- Right pin decrements

Logic switches:
- 2x1 blocks, switches that activate based on storage
- Left pin, input from storage
- Right pin, output as a result
- 0 switch - generates switch pulse on right pin when left pin is connected to a storage block that hits 0
- 1 switch - generates switch pulse on right pin when left pin is connected to a storage block that hits 1
- 2 switch - generates switch pulse on right pin when left pin is connected to a storage block that hits 2
- 9 switch - generates switch pulse on right pin when left pin is connected to a storage block that hits 9

So all wires would generate numeric pulses instead of switch pulses. Normal switches would generate 0/1.

Wow , probably very useful, but i really think there should be automatic storage systems!
[DOUBLEPOST=1442257130,1442257091][/DOUBLEPOST](probably what you mentioned but im just to stupid -_-)

Had another idea for a fun set of items, a variation on them was already mentioned, but this should be a different enough implementation.
Basically Tesla coils and lightning rods. Along with these a change to rain to include the possibility of lightning.
Starting with the lightning idea, the underlying mechanic would be the targeting of the highest non flying/falling object or block on the screen. Possibly changing the top of a leafy tree to a broken one if a tree is the target. The chance for a lightning strike should increase the higher the highest point on the screen is. This should make the strikes fairly uncommon at the start and limit the risk to starting players. Damage wise this strike should be fairly harmless to all but starting characters and mobs. Keeping it novel but not a serious threat.
Next up, the lightning rod. This 5 block tall furniture item could have a virtual footprint a few blocks higher to make it more likely to be hit, but 5 blocks tall and tossed on a roof would probably be enough on its own. Lightning would strike it and maybe there could be a brief animation of the lightning traveling down the length. Beyond that, the function of the rod is that of a button, upon being struck by lightning it would send a pulse along any attached wire.
And finally, the Tesla coil. Also 5 blocks high, this background object would have the typical appearance of a metal globe on top of a copper colored coil of wire. When activated by a signal a small aura of sparks would surround the top and a bolt of lightning would shoot out at the nearest non falling/flying object to the top of the coil. It might hit the ceiling, a wall, anything standing next to it, even the floor, though for that I would think a random chance to be to the left or the right if both are of equal height. And of course, if a lightning rod is close enough it would be the target and send a signal when hit. Damage wise it would be even less damage then a lightning strike, but it would still qualify as a possible trap I guess. Outside of giving us some of the set pieces for a recreation of Frankenstein's lab, the setup would also allow for a very crude detection sensor. Place a lightning rod and Tesla coil close enough together and when you send a pulse to the coil, it will hit the rod only if there is no creature present closer to the coil, so place it in a corridor with a timer and the presence of a mob or player would stop the signal from reaching the lightning rod.

Looking back on this I know I have specified non flying/falling a few times for the sake of accuracy, but it does leave out a fun option.
Bug Zapper. Unlike the earlier suggestion in this thread, it wouldn't be an item to catch bug for you, this thing would fry anything flying/falling that gets close. So birds, bugs, and eyeballs get popped. Everything else would probably have the health to tank the hits. Bonus if it actually attracts their attention.

Since placed light sources are normally involved with wiring I wanted to suggest the following. Make it so that we can turn Water Candles and Peace Candles on and off, thus toggling their effects.

I just thought that there should be an accessory that allows you to see wiring. I think it would prove to be useful for those nasty traps. Of course there's the holding a pressure plate trick, but then your left wide open for incoming attacks. Imagine how useful it would be in expert mode with super powered enemies.

I just thought that there should be an accessory that allows you to see wiring. I think it would prove to be useful for those nasty traps. Of course there's the holding a pressure plate trick, but then your left wide open for incoming attacks. Imagine how useful it would be in expert mode with super powered enemies.
Or it could be like the GPS or other items in the Cell Phone crafting tree and only need to be in the inventory to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom