Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can answer a few of these, the others I need to ask you to be patient and await further news.

Using 3DS as a controller: no. For Terraria there wouldn't be a benefit.

Touch screen can be used to both build and fight. I would say building works better on 3DS, fighting - particularly using ranged weapons - works better on Wii-U because there is more screen space. You can tap on an enemy to shoot arrows at it, which is cool imo.

Off TV play on Wii - yes.

Custom controls - not yet. You don't tend to see that on Nintendo games, more of a PC thing.
Thank you really much for responding, I really appreciate it.

Once again, I'm mentioning Super Smash Bros, it has pretty custom controls

Well, there will probably be controls for touch screen and buttons and buttons only right?

By using only buttons the map or inventory can always be on the Gamepad screen

Please don't place the health bar on the Gamepad screen unless the game is shown only on gamepad, it might be frustrating to take your eyes off the screen just to check your health.

If I'm asking/writing too much just tell me ok? I'm just really exited and I have a lot to ask but I don't want to bother you too much either

Also, this doesn't really have anything to do with the Nintendo version but could there be a search option to find specific items from a player's chests? Or show everything on nearby player placed chests at once? It would really help searching for certain items

Also, is there a way to prevent items from being placed on the gotta when picked up?
And those mushrooms from being eaten instead of drinking health potion...

Okay, this is kind of off topic because it is about any version of Terraria so I'll stop now

Sorry for asking so much questions...

Last part should've gone into a different forum section but you know that so why am I even telling you -_-
Anyway; no, they can't add that. At least, not in the near future. That seems like something that the remaining Devs on the original Terraria game could patch in to the PC version, and then possibly into the console version

Last part should've gone into a different forum section but you know that so why am I even telling you -_-
Anyway; no, they can't add that. At least, not in the near future. That seems like something that the remaining Devs on the original Terraria game could patch in to the PC version, and then possibly into the console version
I assume you are talking to me

Add what?

The C-Stick isn't precise enough. If you were just pointing in a single direction, maybe, but you want analogue increments in every direction and the C-Stick won't work for that.

I take on board your thoughts, but there might be another way to give you the quick buff you want. You understand it working one way on console, the challenge is for us to find a solution as robust as that on 3DS.

We're not going to diverge the original and New 3DS versions in the way you suggest, it's not the Nintendo way to have hard-to-explain hardware incompatibilities like that.
I think the small C-stick could work like the Smart Cursor on the PC version so you can dig in a direction by using the c-stick.

Is there a possibility to show the action on the top screen while using the bottom screen to dig, fight and maybe build, similiar to 3DS's Nintendogs+Cats or Wii U's Pikmin 3

Also, can a player point the screen with the Wii Remote(and Nunchuck) to do the same things as the Gamepad user?

Also, it would be a nice touch if a second player could use just a Wii Remote to control a special minion

505 Games and Re-Logic are proud to be able to finally - and officially - confirm that Terraria will indeed be coming to the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS platforms! This represents a massive opportunity to bring Terraria to a whole new set of gamers whom may have never seen Terraria before - as well as a chance to explore what might be possible in the game with dual screen functionality. We hope you share in our excitement around the potential here!

Of course, we are well aware that there have been a number of rumors and leaked information around this from various sources - so, the way we figure it, we owe you a bit more to help make this announcement even more newsworthy! Also please note that any "release dates" given out were not official.

Let's start with some never before seen pictures of the packaging - and we will hope to bring you some screenshots that show off some of the new functionality in the weeks to come:

kdcROYP.png

View attachment 66985

divider.png

View attachment 66986

kdcROYP.png

Also, please welcome @Deanzor, a 505 Games representative who will be working on Nintendo Terraria!

He's shared some information and answered some questions here in the thread, so be sure to check it out:

divider.png
Question:
Do we get download play so we can do multiplayer with friends?
Will the Wii U version support Miiverse?
Will the Wii U version have voice chat?

divider.png
Question:
How will multiplayer work on 3DS and Wii U?

divider.png

divider.png
Question:
Will these new ports slow down the development of other Console/Mobile versions of Terraria?
How will these versions differ from pre-existing Console/Mobile versions of Terraria?

divider.png
Question:
Will items such as the Plumber and Hero Outfits have their coloring returned to the original, in light of being on a Nintendo console?

divider.png
Question:
Will this version get constant updates like the other versions?
divider.png

Question:
Will WiiU Terraria support Classic Controllers?
Why won't 3DS support online play?

kdcROYP.png

To close out our announcement, let's give you what you are all wondering - an estimate on release timing! Of course, you will have all seen various published dates based upon the earlier rumors/leaks. For the most part, these are guesses or estimates. We are sharing here today that the expected launch for Terraria on Wii U and 3DS will take place in early 2016!

We have a few more surprises in store for this coming Holiday season, but we will save those for another time. Join us in celebrating this move that will finally bring Terraria to all of the major gaming platforms!
Cant wait for terraria 3ds it will be awesome
[DOUBLEPOST=1442712117,1442712060][/DOUBLEPOST]
Aw heck yeah.
I didnt know you looked in the forums im subscribed to your channel

I wanted to just say again thank you to those who are able to bring this great game to the Nintendo systems. I'm so excited for the release!

I assume you are talking to me

Add what?
Dude. They aren't adding any special features to this game like controllable minions. It's a port on the console version, with touchscreen compatability and possibly a few Nintendo skinned items like the Hero's Clothes. Nothing more. No special features. Although, I do think that the C-STick would be good as a smart cursor. In the mobile version you would point it in a general direction and it would mine any three blocks in that direction.

Dude. They aren't adding any special features to this game like controllable minions. It's a port on the console version, with touchscreen compatability and possibly a few Nintendo skinned items like the Hero's Clothes. Nothing more. No special features. Although, I do think that the C-STick would be good as a smart cursor. In the mobile version you would point it in a general direction and it would mine any three blocks in that direction.
It was just a suggestion ok?

considering the new 3DS has more buttons than the Vita does this might actually work well. not only that it'll have the touchscreen as inventory so yeah :). The only issue that gets me is RAM. even the Vita lags like hell with a lot in the background. Even so it's a welcome addition to the 3DS roster of games. I'll buy it :)

Hey, is there a place where I can post any of my suggestions and ideas for Terraria, no matter what idea it is? The wiring post asks for wiring things and the bug things are for... bugs

If I just create a forum myself will a re-logic worker or such read it?

Hey, is there a place where I can post any of my suggestions and ideas for Terraria, no matter what idea it is? The wiring post asks for wiring things and the bug things are for... bugs

If I just create a forum myself will a re-logic worker or such read it?
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?forums/player-suggestions.13/
Make sure it's in the appropriate sub section. Also I recommend not posting WIP suggestions unless you're prepared for a lot of negative feedback.

Does this mean the game's loading in chunks and not all-loaded-at-once?

Please, please try to allow custom controls - I have a feeling I'd much rather use the C-stick like a traditional second analogue stick despite its flaws. I appreciate you want the game to be accessible, but us New 3DS players are fairly well accustomed to using it. We even play First Person Shooters on it.
Would it be hard to implement? At least give us some options.

Sorry, I meant I was looking into themes.

Custom controls won't be in for launch. We have to make a control scheme that we think works, not leave that to you guys. Bear in mind that the majority of people that play this game are going to be new to the series, and don't have a preconceived idea of playing Terraria with two sticks.

Which 3DS games use it like a twin stick? I've seen it used for camera controls where you don't need to be too precise. Aiming in Terraria isn't just pointing in a direction, it's degrees in each direction and the analog nub doesn't do that very well. Plus, by using it you then take all the face buttons out of the equation and Terraria needs you to have comfortable access to all the buttons.

Play what we have when we release it, and if there's still believed to be an issue then we'll discuss it. But I think we'll be good :)

I think the small C-stick could work like the Smart Cursor on the PC version so you can dig in a direction by using the c-stick.

Is there a possibility to show the action on the top screen while using the bottom screen to dig, fight and maybe build, similiar to 3DS's Nintendogs+Cats or Wii U's Pikmin 3

Also, can a player point the screen with the Wii Remote(and Nunchuck) to do the same things as the Gamepad user?

Also, it would be a nice touch if a second player could use just a Wii Remote to control a special minion

The Wii Remote controls don't use the pointer. If you want directly 'touch' the world, you need to play on Wii U's pad.

Last edited:
I've been monitoring this thread closely for some time now, and most of what I would wish to know has already been answered, with exceptions.

Would you be able to provide more detailed and complete information on how targeting is handled in the 3DS version? From what limited footage of the game is available at current (and with the risk of it being outdated by this time) I can see that 'X' is bound to switch targets, and use of the Circle Pad, in addition to movement, also appears to have varying influence over aim, depending upon what type of item is currently in hand.

Of course, there's not much I can ascertain from footage alone, and would appreciate if you would greater and more accurate information, that is, if you're allowed to.

In addition, I'm also curious as to how the apparent auto-targeting system for combat would function against moving, airborne targets (a.k.a. targets that are typically rapidly changing which direction that they are located in relation to the player) with a weapon such as the bow, or any other ranged weapon with travel time that must be compensated for.

Omg yes! I would love to turn on my 3ds just to hear the main menu theme :)

A 3DS theme?

It would be cool if the top screen has surface area and the bottom has underground.

When scrolling the theme left and right Corruption/Crimson and Hallow can be seen at the opposite sides

The top picture might randomly change a little, showing a picture of the player fighting various bosses or talking to the NPCs

There might be 4 players on a single home picture that can be seen when scrolling on different parts of the picture, that saves the amount of random pictures

Having the pictures based on the save files might be too much for the 3DS but it could use a player's Terraria screenshot collection

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom