Weapons & Equip Daedalus Stormbow a little OP?

Xylia

Terrarian
First, take a gander at this video (start it at 1:40):

Here's my equipment:

Melee Titanium Armor
Daedalus Stormbow
Jester's Arrows (for Destroyer, swapped after he was dead)
Holy Arrows
Fleeting Frozen Wings (+% Movement Speed)
Quick Obsidian Shield (+% Movement Speed)
Lucky Magic Quiver (+4% Critical Strike Chance)
Cross Necklace (no Prefix!)
Lucky Frostspark Boots (+4% Critical Strike Chance)

So My gear wasn't even fully reforged either.

I forgot my buff potions for first 75% of the entire fight, lol. If I had used them, I would have done a lot better and woulda killed them a lot faster. As it is, I finished at 11:07 PM so that's 217 seconds (3 minutes + 37 seconds).

That means my avg DPS would had to have been at least...

Destroyer: 80,000
Retinazer: 20,000
Spazmatism: 23,000
Skeletron Prime: 28,000
Prime Saw: 9,000
Prime Cannon: 7,000
Prime Laser: 6,000
Prime Vice: 9,000
-----------

182,000 / 217 = 839 DPS over the whole fight, while wearing the wrong kind of armor, without an archery potion. If I had the Archery Potion on during the entire fight, I would have been doing ~1,000 DPS which would have cut the fight time down to probably around 170-ish seconds.

Seems a bit powerful for a Pre-Mech weapon, IMO. Just thought I'd mention it. I can't think of anything else Pre-Mech that can put out that kind of ridiculous DPS, or even anything after it until you get to Pillar Weapons maybe, or perhaps something like Fishron's drops or TEoC, but those are all after Plantera.

Yeah mimic weapons are OP now
dart pistol: HECK YEAH
Daedalus storm bow: HECK YEAH
other mimic weapons: HECK YEAH I guess I dunno Ice mimics are cool, jungle mimic isn't official yet

Dael with Holy Arrows is unholy in it's effectiveness. Carried me right through Mechs and Planterra without a problem, using Titanium melee headset. Even when I have ranged gear on, it is only 4 less DPH than Phantasm.

I think it does make it very easy to blast through the mech bosses, not being able to use it underground doesn't matter since by the time you reach plantera or golem you have better weapons anyway.

Seems to me there's a bit of a dissonance between Hallowed equipment and the Biome Mimics; the stuff you make from Mech Boss drops are very lack-luster while the Biome Mimic stuff is just overpowered for its tier.

The Stormbow, though, I'd have to say is the worst offender I've seen. Yeah, sure, we've all seen that "WOW 12k DPS WITH FERAL CLAWS!" pic before, but that's a gimmick; that only works on 1 boss, and only because he's segmented (only the EoW is similar).

However, the Stormbow seems to work insanely well on EVERYTHING as long as you have a decently open space above you for the arrows to fall.

The Dart Pistol, I dunno... I've yet to try it, and the Flying Knife doesn't seem that largely overpowered (Though it is noticeably stronger than Flying Discs which require Mech Kills to make).

I think it does make it very easy to blast through the mech bosses, not being able to use it underground doesn't matter since by the time you reach plantera or golem you have better weapons anyway.

Actually, make an Arena for it for Planterra, it it still is more than strong enough for wrecking PT too. In full pre-planterra gear, I went and killed it 3 times within 5 minutes, counting the time it took to drag it to said arena from the bulbs I found.

I dunno, from what I'm seeing of the ridiculous damage... the only thing that would cause me to not use the Stormbow on Plantera and Golem, is the "overhead must be clear" issue, lol. That's the one and only reason I wouldn't annihilate Plantera in 90 seconds or less with it.

And for Solar Eclipse, I can picture myself grabbing the ole Stormbow yet again, because I'm just picturing me hanging on the ropes, and everything below me, just dying until a mothron shows up, then I have to actually move around to avoid them. Vampire gets near me? It's dead in 2-4 seconds. Deadly Sphere? same.

I've never used the dart pistol, and the flying knife isn't OP at all, it's more of a utility than anything else.

Honestly I only used the stormbow for the destroyer so I could get the megashark, once you get the megashark you don't need to use a different weapon until fishron really.

EDIT: Solar eclipse is easy enough to farm without the stormbow though

I've never used the dart pistol, and the flying knife isn't OP at all, it's more of a utility than anything else.

Honestly I only used the stormbow for the destroyer so I could get the megashark, once you get the megashark you don't need to use a different weapon until fishron really.

If you watch the video in the OP, you'll see that the Stormbow works far better than the Megashark on Prime and the Twins. This is coming from the guy who used to swear by the Megashark ever since 1.2.0.

Honestly I don't even know how it could be fixed (bar removing the stormbow entirely), the mimics are in a strange spot in the game and don't really fit in with the progression of hardmode either.

Honestly I don't even know how it could be fixed (bar removing the stormbow entirely), the mimics are in a strange spot in the game and don't really fit in with the progression of hardmode either.

To be honest, I'd say perhaps a mild nerf to damage (perhaps shave 5 or so damage off the top), and then maybe buff the mech and other similar weapons so that they are comparable.

Right now, there's no reason to ever grab an Excalibur when the Bladetongue is far superior (and don't even try making the "what if you ain't got crimson!?" excuse when everybody knows you can just make another world to get it). Even without the Bladetongue, there's still other good weapons that can be used. For example, Cursed Flames is kinda lack luster when you take something like the Crystal Serpent into account.

IMO, we need to do a balance pass on all of the 1.1 weapons, they are lagging way too far behind. By the time you get yourself some Hallowed Bars and some Boss Souls, you probably have way better weapons already.

And then you got Hallowed Armor, which is probably the worst offender.

Adamantite Armor has +18% Melee Damage/Movement Speed and 50 defense.
Hallowed Armor has +19% Melee Damage/Movement Speed and 50 defense.

But yet, you need to do at least two, maybe three Mech Kills to get +1% Damage/Movement Speed? Seriously?

Or you could go Titanium and get the damage immunity buff which gives you a lot more survivability at the cost of melee damage (you're probably not using melee weapons Pre-Turtle Armor on bosses unless you go with a Yo-Yo).

Perhaps I'll make up some tables and spreadsheet-like things and come up with some balance tweaks, because to be honest... 1.1 equipment isn't even worth using these days.

To me, the stormbow needs nerfing to its speed and damage. Hits bosses like the destroyer too hard and too fast. You can pretty much cheese the Destroyer if you combo the bow with Holy Arrows.

I was unaware that the blade tongue was a thing! Just when I thought I'd seen it all :p

Dude, the Bladetongue is a really nice sword. It fires a powerful bouncing stream of ichor, but it won't do it unless you actually hit something (like the HH's Blade). It is very effective in crowds of enemies, and works pretty nice for the weaker stuff like pixies, where you hit one, and the ichor stream shears most of the HP off of one or two more while it bounces around.

Darn, I can't figure out how to quote.. It only quotes what I've typed.. Strange...

Is it even worth it post fishron? I'm working on getting my world ready for cultists/moonlord.

Darn, I can't figure out how to quote.. It only quotes what I've typed.. Strange...

Is it even worth it post fishron? I'm working on getting my world ready for cultists/moonlord.

The easiest way to quote is to click the Reply button and it should automatically add the quoted text block.

And no, no reason to get the Bladetongue after Fishron. The Bladetongue is more of an early hardmode thing, have a good pool of water ready pre-Hardmode, have lots of bait, and go there and fish fish fish until you get one. Took me three game days (that's counting time warping back to do the Angler's quests daily) to get the one in my latest playthrough. The upside is that if you bring crate potions, you can get all of your Hardmode Ore without breaking any shrines! When you break a shrine, one random stone block gets converted to an evil biome stone which means you'll get pockets of evil biomes starting in random spots in your world, sometimes in places you don't want them.

I agree that the stormbow is op. As you said before, all of the 1.1 weapons need to have a look at, as they are lacking behind and are harder to get than the new weapons, which are far superior. I used to use cursed flames, but what's the point when the crystal serpent does more damage and DPS. Sure, it doesn't provide a debuff, but the DOT of cursed flames is not going to out DPS fishing weapons or biome mimic weapons.

I think someone should make a suggestion for all of the 1.1 weapons to be looked at. I would do it myself, but I have no experience in making professional and good looking suggestions.

Having tried the dart pistol, I can say I kept trying it until the Vortex Beater. Crystal darts work best for general-purpose work, and Ichor darts make Swiss cheese of bosses. I'd kinda dropped the stormbow due to its inability to be used underground.

Back
Top Bottom