Daimera's Content Tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit off topic, but I always thought it was weird how Truffle has many quotes about how NPCs finding itself tasty, meaning creatures should be attracted to mushrooms.. but shroomite armor, made of the same mushrooms, seems to have the opposite effect. Also, it's the armor that turns you invisible, which you'd think spectre armor would do, as it's a ghost armor?

Anyway.. wow, that truffle pic is both amazing and a bit creepy! Almost looks like something you'd find in the crimson.. except blue.

Daimera, I'd just like to say again, you're incredible. How are you so good?
16+ years of self teaching, mostly! A Bachelor of Science in Biology doesn't hurt, either. :dryadwink:

A bit off topic, but I always thought it was weird how Truffle has many quotes about how NPCs finding itself tasty, meaning creatures should be attracted to mushrooms.. but shroomite armor, made of the same mushrooms, seems to have the opposite effect. Also, it's the armor that turns you invisible, which you'd think spectre armor would do, as it's a ghost armor?

Anyway.. wow, that truffle pic is both amazing and a bit creepy! Almost looks like something you'd find in the crimson.. except blue.
I figured the Truffle's talk about being eaten stems from how the player can eat them as an early-game healing item that's better than regular mushrooms, and can brew them for potions. That makes perfect sense to me. Shroomite armor, however, doesn't.

Shroomite's stealth mechanic isn't even really that great a mechanic IMO, since outside of sniping, it really has a negligible benefit unless you have a PHENOMENAL tank (and I've seen my ranged friend grab aggro while in Shroomite with my melee friend in Turtle on FAR too many occasions). It would have made more sense for Shroomite to get some kind of health regen or lifesteal buff due to glowing mushrooms' healing properties (plus, I play Magic: The Gathering, and there are fungus-themed cards with regenerative/reactive buffing mechanics) than it would the Spectre, but I guess you hear more about healing CASTERS than healing gunslingers. I dunno.

If I had to come up with some kind of explanation, I'd say it's just an unusual effect of alloying the mushrooms with chlorophyte, as opposed to relating at all to the mushrooms by themselves. If all else fails, just wave your hands and say "Terrarian Space Magic!"

As for making Truffle somewhat Crimson-like... well, Crimson has a very strong parasitism theme to me, and in a way, so does fungal growth *cough cordyceps wheeze contagion*. The aesthetic just kinda fits the way it falls together in my eyes.

16+ years of self teaching, mostly! A Bachelor of Science in Biology doesn't hurt, either. :dryadwink:

I figured the Truffle's talk about being eaten stems from how the player can eat them as an early-game healing item that's better than regular mushrooms, and can brew them for potions. That makes perfect sense to me. Shroomite armor, however, doesn't.

Shroomite's stealth mechanic isn't even really that great a mechanic IMO, since outside of sniping, it really has a negligible benefit unless you have a PHENOMENAL tank (and I've seen my ranged friend grab aggro while in Shroomite with my melee friend in Turtle on FAR too many occasions). It would have made more sense for Shroomite to get some kind of health regen or lifesteal buff due to glowing mushrooms' healing properties (plus, I play Magic: The Gathering, and there are fungus-themed cards with regenerative/reactive buffing mechanics) than it would the Spectre, but I guess you hear more about healing CASTERS than healing gunslingers. I dunno.

If I had to come up with some kind of explanation, I'd say it's just an unusual effect of alloying the mushrooms with chlorophyte, as opposed to relating at all to the mushrooms by themselves. If all else fails, just wave your hands and say "Terrarian Space Magic!"

As for making Truffle somewhat Crimson-like... well, Crimson has a very strong parasitism theme to me, and in a way, so does fungal growth *cough cordyceps wheeze contagion*. The aesthetic just kinda fits the way it falls together in my eyes.
16 years, and it was all self-taught. You are inspiring.

Taking a break from character art for something a bit different. I wanted to practice plants for personal worldbuilding purposes, so I decided to use the Terrarian herbs to experiment with a way to do it.

kKANcSB.png
The Crimson herb is just one of my own, so that I wouldn't have a conspicuous gap in the format.

Oh my God, all of your work is just beyond my vocabulary, it's that good. It's so superlatively superb (?!) that it's almost disheartening to look upon, knowing I'll never be anywhere even near that good! ;)

At least we get a treat from looking upon all of your stuff, though. Please, do keep it up!

Edit: And by the way, I love all of your little character biographies. It's a really nice touch.

I really like how you did herbs, yes it is kinda maybe sad to a lot of people when there isn't Crimson themed herb. You are only who I saw doing every herbs that are in game.
Your Witch Doctor have fat belly, I don't think his sprite was maked to it.

Your Witch Doctor have fat belly, I don't think his sprite was maked to it.
I volunteer at the local zoo and work predominantly with reptiles, most of which are confiscations from the pet trade because 99% of all the cool pets are illegal here in Hawaii. I also intend to work with them when I move to the mainland, and possibly own some reptiles of my own.

A lot of popular reptile pets, like bearded dragons, blue-tongue skinks, tegus, and ball pythons are a bit... rotund, as reptiles go. I figured it was an endearing characteristic, plus it's always nice to get some body-type diversity into one's character art.

she's also not supposed to do magic
I was getting WoW nostalgia when I drew it. In the immortal words of Blizzard which I TOTALLY didn't just make up right now off the top of my head, accuracy doesn't matter as long as it's visually interesting, amirite?

I kid. Though, really, the 'magic' would be super easy to remove if it REALLY bugs a lot of people, since it's on a separate layer, but I really don't think it's that big a deal, especially since nobody else seems to have a problem with it. I could probably even come up with a story for why the witch doctor APPEARS to be using magic if I really needed to, which I don't think I do. That I chose the color of the supposed 'flame' to be similar to that found in the Imbuing Station was no accident.

Being featured on an official venue is pretty much any fanartist's dream. To know one's work is appreciated by the very creators of the source material... it's pretty hard to explain. It's a very good feeling, though. It's... positively motivating, something I rarely have when it comes to my art.

Back when I first joined TO, I tossed up a real quick set of swords that I thought was just some incidental fanart that I drew at an airport, and an Eater that I inked up at a hair salon, both of which I just happened to color out of boredom. It was featured, which revealed to me that people really did enjoy my Terraria work. If it weren't for that exposure, I probably wouldn't have really thought to keep going to where I am now. :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom