Game Mechanics Tutorial

The1DarkLord

Skeletron Prime
Really, I mean this. A tutorial on the main menu under multiplayer or something. A little world with a little area surrounded by lihzard bricks. In this area, the tutorial would take place, teaching you all the hotkeys and controls, how to control your character, and how to use different weapons. It would teach you how to craft, build houses, and ask the guide for help.

These things seem so basic, but not knowing them turns off so many players from playing Terraria, my brother included. My brother wont even consider playing, even though i have offered to teach him these things.

I find it the only major failing of Terraria.

Here is a video I made as an example of what could be in a tutorial.

Last edited:
So like the console mobile tutorial?
Doesn't mean much to me since I just jump in and already knew almost everything without playing the tutorial first.
But this might help new players.

We need this in Terraria!
this would seriously help new players in Terraria.
Only I know how much time I wasted not knowing what to do, until I checked the wiki.

There are already some small innovations towards helping the new players, one of the most important being the Guide being able to show what to craft from a material you show him.

Yet, i think the story and "what to do now" could be enhanced so that new players could delve into the game without the bewilderment of unknown. My girlfriend finds it hard to fully delve into the game, because she doesn't know much about it yet...

I know that most of the things are logically put together from the start to form steps which can't be completed unless you have better tools (at least how i see the milestones), but all of them are somewhat hidden in item descriptions or visible restrictions in the mechanics (unable to mine, because too weak pickaxe, not defeated boss, etc.):
1. Gather some ores and get some armor/weapons.
2. Create 3rd tier SC ore picks to mine demonite/crimtane.
3. Gather obsidian and hellstone with a nightmare/deathbringer pickaxe.
4. Kill Wall of Flesh. Destroy altars with the new hammer and gather 1st tier HC ore.
5. Create 1st tier HC ore pickaxe, gather further tier ores.
6. Craft 2nd tier HC ore anvil and pickaxe.
7. Craft 3rd tier HC ore forge and pickaxe.
8. Kill Plantera to have enhanced Dungeon and key to the Lihzard Temple.
9. Etc.

There are already some small innovations towards helping the new players, one of the most important being the Guide being able to show what to craft from a material you show him.

Yet, i think the story and "what to do now" could be enhanced so that new players could delve into the game without the bewilderment of unknown. My girlfriend finds it hard to fully delve into the game, because she doesn't know much about it yet...

I know that most of the things are logically put together from the start to form steps which can't be completed unless you have better tools (at least how i see the milestones), but all of them are somewhat hidden in item descriptions or visible restrictions in the mechanics (unable to mine, because too weak pickaxe, not defeated boss, etc.):
1. Gather some ores and get some armor/weapons.
2. Create 3rd tier SC ore picks to mine demonite/crimtane.
3. Gather obsidian and hellstone with a nightmare/deathbringer pickaxe.
4. Kill Wall of Flesh. Destroy altars with the new hammer and gather 1st tier HC ore.
5. Create 1st tier HC ore pickaxe, gather further tier ores.
6. Craft 2nd tier HC ore anvil and pickaxe.
7. Craft 3rd tier HC ore forge and pickaxe.
8. Kill Plantera to have enhanced Dungeon and key to the Lihzard Temple.
9. Etc.
I think you misunderstand the purpose of the tutorial. It isnt about what to do in the game, it is just the basic controls, movement, basic things like how to open your inventory or get to the menu at all. I know people who didnt know how to do that, and so just force-quitted and left, never to play terraria again. It wont tell you "this is better than that," or anything. Not strategy, just "how to not get frustrated at not being able to do anything"

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the tutorial. It isnt about what to do in the game, it is just the basic controls, movement, basic things like how to open your inventory or get to the menu at all. I know people who didnt know how to do that, and so just force-quitted and left, never to play terraria again. It wont tell you "this is better than that," or anything. Not strategy, just "how to not get frustrated at not being able to do anything"
The things you are mentioning could be the first step, but i'm sure people who are too perplexed on what to do further in the game get discouraged and sometimes leave it.

I understand that in current times many games lack even the basic controls tutorial, sometimes omitting the typical controls used by most players. Such tactics are used for games meant for advanced players. This is an overall problem where there are many potential gamers, yet many games aren't suited for newbies - whether it's with the difficulty and it's scaling through the game, lack of a descriptive tutorial or simply by the mechanics of the game which is unforgiving to say the least.

Personally i'd find a couple "milestones" (or topics if you insist) on which a tutorial could be useful for new players (sometimes even veteran players):
1. Walking, jumping, climbing (rope), flying and movement restrictions (water, webs, debuffs, etc.)
2. Attacking with various weapons (stab swords like shortsword or tridents, swing weapons like longswords, flails, yoyos, bows and crossbows, various magics, summon staffs, etc.).
3. Different tools for different occasions. What is a pickaxe, axe, hammer and what are their purpose?
4. Crafting basic and advanced materials. Using materials from chests. Chest and inventory management systems.
5. Home creation basics, different examples with different materials (only blocks, using platforms, glass back wall, etc.). Changing the spawn point.
6. How to fish? Where are the best spots and how to gather materials for them?
7. Growing plants in different environments. Biomes differentation.
8. What causes buffs and debuffs? How to avoid them?
9. Building simple mechanisms with doors, traps, actuators and statues. Using triggers, switches or pressure plates?
10. Accessories with prefixes. Reforging equipment.
11. Enhancing your character with costumes, vanity items, dyes and pets. Using the wardrobe for a new look.

Back
Top Bottom