NPCs & Enemies Evil critters and bait a small change to darken the world and your hook

Dragrath

Duke Fishron
-this suggestion has actually a twofold goal, first I wanted to add more bait options that are actually usable as as of now worms are the go to option due to convenience and effectiveness. At the same time I felt it couldn’t hurt to add some more flavor to the corruption and crimson and I realized critters actually play a good role in that so I thought up two critters one for corruption and other for crimson. Both can be caught with a net for some but have some surprises… I also propose a weak bait be buyable from the merchant

-Corrupt larvae (Format is normal mode/expert mode)
HP: 5/5
defense: 0/0
damage: 0/0

This critter spawns naturally in the corruption with a particularly high rate down in the chasms where it can crawl on the walls. However it isn’t entirely passive, when it spots the player it will flee for a bit and “pupate”. The pupa will after a second or so(not sure the best time for this) if not killed spawn a set of corruption enemies depending on game progression.

Corrupt pupae pre hardmode stats (*stats scale in hardmode particuarly in expert mode only the HP and defense would change though)

HP:100/200
defense: 10/20
damage: 0/0
*immune to knock back
Notes: Like mothron eggs it is immobile

If a pupae is killed it has a high chance to drop either a mana star or a heart depending on conditions however early on they are relatively hard to kill making them a larger threat to players exploring the chasm early on.

The results from the pupae depend on progression primarily morphing into a swarm of eater and worm type enemies in greater numbers than normally spawn at once adding an increased threat to being overwhelmed should a player trigger too many larvae. (Which thankfully are as easy to kill as bunnies and can be caught giving you a 35% bait power critter! )

65%/40%<-> 4-5/5-6 eater of Souls

25%/30%<-> 1-2/2-3 Devourer

10%/30%<-> 4-5/5-6 eater of Souls,1-2/1-3 Devourer

15%/10%<-> 5-6/6-7 eater of souls, 1-2/1-3 Devourer,1-2/2-3 Corruptor

20%<->6-7/7-8 eater of Souls,2-3/4-5 Corruptor

20%<->1/1-2 Clinger,4-5/5-6 Eater of Souls, 0-1/1 World feeder

20%<->1-2/2-3 World Feeder, 2-3/4-5 Corruptor

20%<->2-3/2-4 Clingers

5%/10%<->1-2/1-4 Clinger,4-5/4-6 Eater of Souls,1-2/2-3 World Feeder, 2-3/4-5 Corruptor,1-2/1-3 Devourer

Let me know If I should adjust these values

Of course after giving the corruption something the crimson can’t be left out but it will need to work very differently. Fitting the theme of the crimson I expect something creepy and gross should fit well…

When killing a foe in the crimson there would be a 5%/10% chance that a parasitoid worm will spawn out of the enemies gibbs.

parasitoid worm
Hp:5/5
Defense:0/0
Damage:0/0

Like other critters they would crawl around at first before fleeing akin to a truffle worm at first. However if allowed to escape rather than despawning they will come back and attack you despawning on contact.

Instead of damaging the player directly they inflict the parasitic debuff directly weakening the player (-10/-20 def, -10%/-20% damage,-10%/-20% movement speed,-50%/-100% life regeneration)while also doubling/indefinitely prolonging the duration of other debuffs. On normal this can be cured by using the nurse, a health potion or strange brew where as in expert mode only the nurse can cure it. If caught they would have a bait power of 30%(should I raise this? Made it lower as I figure they would be more common) It should be noted that on the worms return if your quick you can catch it but only if timed properly as the worm is moving very quickly on return at full speed!

Additionally both critters can be crafted into a terrarium the same way as other critters (critter+empty terrarium)

Lastly for a final bait option once the Angler moves in let the Merchant sell a basic bait say novice bait(to go along with the existing bait theme) with some pitiful bait power of 5% for a few copper.

To summarize the stats of items
-Corrupt larvae(item): 35% bait power, consumable, material caught via bug net

Corrupt Larvae cage: Can be placed
(At home in a wet corrupted dark enclosure very purple featuring an ebonstone and ebonsand floor and some corrupt grass and a small vile mushroom inside for decorations)

-parasitoid worm: 30% bait power,consumable,material( caught via bug net. yes this too can be put in a cage, a very fleshy cage..

parasitoid worm cage: can be placed
(worm living in a pulsating fleshy mass with gross erie fluid moving around what else would you expect from the crimson?)

-novice bait:5% bait power bought for 2 copper

Last edited:
I certainly support a weak bait being buy able from the Merchant.

So the Corrupt Pupae evolves from the Corrupt Larvae which is the bait from the Corruption? Which functions as an enemy that will spawn other Corruption enemies if left alone if you don't capture the Larvae quickly enough? This idea seems pretty interesting in how it makes acquiring bait require more effort and to plan capturing bait carefully similar to the Truffle Worm.

I'm a little confused about the Stats of the Corrupt Pupae, does 100/200 def mean the enemy has 200 defense? and 100 Health? As well as what 10/20 Damage means.

How are the Pupae stats changed in Hardmode? From the wording of the Pre-Hardmode Stats it sounds like it will get stronger once Hardmode begins.

Given the nature of this enemy it seems it would be ideal to not allow more than 3-5 Corrupt Larve to be able to appear at once given how they can release a ton of enemies that would overwhelm the player in the earlygame especially. And make Early Hardmode difficult as well. While it seems that the purpose of this enemy is to force the player to be constantly vigilant which I don't oppose, given the high spawn rate, the player wouldn't be able to focus on doing other things in the Corruption if too many Larve appear constantly.

The Crimson Bait enemy also seems like a great parallel to the Corruption Bait enemy, requiring a different mentality to deal with this bait makes the Corruption and Crimson more different to each other, but still similar which is always good. When the Parasitoid Worm is attacking you during it's retreat then return to attack phase, is it still possible to capture it with a bug net?

Overall I see this as a good suggestion for giving more spice and a sense of danger to exploring the Corruption and Crimson. As well as expanding fishing options. I give my support to this suggestion considering this. I'd just recommend clarifying the stats of the Corrupt Pupae a little more, along with specifying if Expert Mode changes the stats or mechanics of this suggestion.

I certainly support a weak bait being buy able from the Merchant.

So the Corrupt Pupae evolves from the Corrupt Larvae which is the bait from the Corruption? Which functions as an enemy that will spawn other Corruption enemies if left alone if you don't capture the Larvae quickly enough? This idea seems pretty interesting in how it makes acquiring bait require more effort and to plan capturing bait carefully similar to the Truffle Worm.

I'm a little confused about the Stats of the Corrupt Pupae, does 100/200 def mean the enemy has 200 defense? and 100 Health? As well as what 10/20 Damage means.

How are the Pupae stats changed in Hardmode? From the wording of the Pre-Hardmode Stats it sounds like it will get stronger once Hardmode begins.

Given the nature of this enemy it seems it would be ideal to not allow more than 3-5 Corrupt Larve to be able to appear at once given how they can release a ton of enemies that would overwhelm the player in the earlygame especially. And make Early Hardmode difficult as well. While it seems that the purpose of this enemy is to force the player to be constantly vigilant which I don't oppose, given the high spawn rate, the player wouldn't be able to focus on doing other things in the Corruption if too many Larve appear constantly.

The Crimson Bait enemy also seems like a great parallel to the Corruption Bait enemy, requiring a different mentality to deal with this bait makes the Corruption and Crimson more different to each other, but still similar which is always good. When the Parasitoid Worm is attacking you during it's retreat then return to attack phase, is it still possible to capture it with a bug net?

Overall I see this as a good suggestion for giving more spice and a sense of danger to exploring the Corruption and Crimson. As well as expanding fishing options. I give my support to this suggestion considering this. I'd just recommend clarifying the stats of the Corrupt Pupae a little more, along with specifying if Expert Mode changes the stats or mechanics of this suggestion.
haha seems you caught a typo I'l fix that right away!.

Yeah the 100/200 should be HP and expert mode hp, and the 10/20 represents defense and expert mode defense and the pupae does no damage on any mode (so much for my editing ability...)

And yes, the larvae would have a hard limit but I didn't have a good reference as it would vary between both expert mode and hardmode. How does 2 prehardmode, 4 hardmode and 5 in expert mode(i.e. training wheels off) sound?

The stats don't necessarily change in hardmode once again I see I have much to learn in regards to formatting.

As for the return of the parisitoid worm yes it is still catachable but you will have to be quick :)

100/200 and 10/20 would be the normal mode and expert mode values.
outside of the typo your correct I hope I elaborated enough after the edit.
Alright editing is compleate let me know if I missed anything!

Last edited:
It sounds like the Pupa would be stationary, or am I wrong?
Correct :) It acts similar to the mothron egg in that it is stationary and harmless until it "hatches". The mothron egg and alien larvae creatures from the vortex pillar are in part the inspiration for this idea(along with the biological similarities of corruption creatures).

Back
Top Bottom