Biomes & Nature [Sprites] The Volcano - an Alternate Ocean

Do you think that volcanos are a good idea?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 56 63.6%
  • Yeah!

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Maybe with some changes...

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • No, and I can tell you why.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit

As most of us know, having an alternative ocean is a hot topic on the suggestion forums. Many have suggested mountains, and I designed mine to be similar. But my suggestion is a little hotter...

Introducing...

Title.png

Let's jump right into this suggestion!

Volcano Biome Diagram.png

The volcano biome is basically a new biome that will replace the ocean on one side of the world. It is a high risk - good loot type of biome that has a challenging environment and powerful mobs to defend it. Lets get started on the new types of blocks that generate there!

Blocks

kdcROYP.png

Basalt.png

Basalt Block

Almost the entire volcano is made out of basalt blocks. They can be crafted into smooth basalt blocks.

Molten_Basalt.png

Molten Basalt Block

These blocks spawn around the lava pools that dot the volcano. They can be crafted into molten smooth basalt blocks.

Smooth_Basalt_Block.png

Smooth Basalt Block

These are blocks that can be crafted from basalt blocks in a 1:1 ratio.

Molten_Smooth_Basalt_Block.png

Molten Smooth Basalt Block

These are blocks that can be crafted from molten basalt blocks in a 1:1 ratio.

Sulfur_Block.png

Sulfur Block

These generate in patches around the volcano. They can be used to craft explosives.

Petrified_Tree.png

Petrified Tree

This tree will grow in the underworld and volcano biome on any available ash. They drop petrified wood, which has it's own ruined, old looking furniture set.

Land_Mine.png

Lava Gyser

When stepped on, these gysers will explode releasing a 10 block high gyser of lava into the air.
They would only be mineable (though still not obtainable) with a nightmare or better pickaxe. The block underneath would also not be breakable.

Pot.png

Volcano Pot

These pots generate in the volcano biome! They will drop the same stuff as the underworld pots except for the hellfire arrows.

As well as sulfur, basalt, and its molten counterpart, ash also generates in patches around the volcano.

Worldgen, Scenery, & Music

kdcROYP.png

The volcano biome would generate in the shape of a huge mountain made out of basalt blocks. It would be dotted with sulfur, ash, and pools of lava.

Just below the base, there would be a cave leading to a large room with a chest in it. (more on that later)

At the very top of the volcano, there would be a huge tunnel that goes all the way down to hell and into a colossal lake of lava. This tunnel would be filled with lava, but if you happened to have some obsidian skin potions, it could be a straight shot to the underworld.

Every once in a while, the tunnel would quickly overflow with massive amounts of lava lava that will begin to pour down the mountainside.

So what stops this lava from all pooling at the bottom? Well, in the volcano biome, all "flowing" lava would slowly dissipate on its journey down the mountainside.

In the background of the volcano biome, the sky would be dark gray. There would be huge volcanos spewing lava that overlap each other.

When it rains in the volcano biome, instead of rain bright embers will fall.

The volcano biome would use the same music as the underworld.

Enemies

kdcROYP.png

Quite possibly the most important part of this suggestion, I have designed 4 unique enemies that will roam the molten lands of the volcano biome. They all have a chance to inflict the On Fire! debuff on any of their attacks.

Aerozoan.png

Aerozoan
40 hP
30 dM (42 Ranged Atk)
Drops :
SilverCoin.gif
x2

The aerozoan is the most common enemy of the volcano biome. It floats through the air aimlessly until it sees a player, upon which it will get towards them, wait a minute, jet away, fire a volley of sparks at the player, and repeat the process. It spawns pre-hardmode.

Pyromancer.png

Pyromancer
200 hP
40 dM (50 Ranged Atk 1) (15 Ranged Atk 2)
Drops :
SilverCoin.gif
x4

The pyromancer is a slightly rarer enemy than the aerozoan. It begins it's attack as soon as the player comes within range, in which it shoots 3 bouncing fireballs at the player. It then begins floating around the player in a cloud of flames and shoots red hot lasers at them at an extremely quick speed. It spawns pre-hardmode.

Igneous_Slime.png

Igneous Slime
500 hP
40 dM (50 Slam Atk) (30 Ranged Atk)
Drops :
SilverCoin.gif
x60
Molten_Infusion_Stone.png
x1 %10
Fire_Gel.png
x10-20

The igneous slime is the "Miniboss" of the volcano biome. It is fairly rare, about as rare as the the goblin scout. When it sees the player, it will attack by hopping close to them and then preforming a mimic-like slam attack,(without passing through blocks)then hopping back from the player and firing 2 globs of lava at the player. It drops fire gel, which is used to craft several weapons. It spawns pre-hardmode.

Magma_Golem.png

Magma Golem
6000 hP
70 dM (50 Rush Atk) (80 Laser Atk)
Drops :
GoldCoin.gif
x5
Fire_Core.png
x1 33%
Fire_Feather.png
x1 5%

The magma golem is the volcano biome's only hardmode enemy. Spawns during the rain (see environment for more information)

When it sees the player, it will attack by first approaching them and then performing a form of dash attack that allows him to clip through walls. To prevent him from getting stuck in blocks this way, he will jump as high as is needed to clear the blocks after finishing the attack. He will then back up and spend about a second and a half charging up a powerful laser. Rinse and repeat.

He drops the flame core which is used to craft plasma armor, and now drops the fire feather instead of the red devil.

Items

kdcROYP.png

Hand-Cranked_Cooler.png

Hand-Cranked Cooler

The hand-cranked cooler is a new item that is found in the chest in the loot room of the volcano. It has a 52% chance of appearing there. It is used by holding down the left-mouse with it selected, which will slowly turn the player blue and put a wavering effect over them. It can be charged for up to 20 seconds, and if you do charge it for that long it will give the player 10 seconds of complete fire immunity. In other words, you can not be affected by the On Fire! debuff or by lava. It also reduces fire-based enemy damage by 25%. Charging it up is in a 3:2 ratio, e.g. 2 seconds of charging = 3 seconds of resistance.

Flame_in_a_Bottle.png

Flame in a Bottle

The Flame in a Bottle is a new accessory that is found in the chest in the loot room of the volcano. It has a 52% chance of appearing there. It's like the sandstorm in a bottle but you don't go quite as far, you set anything within 3 block radius of you on fire, and when your in the air you can double tap the down key to do a sort of slam attack, which does 15 damage, knocks enemies back, and sets them on fire.

So why do these items have a 52% chance of appearing in the volcano loot room chest instead of just 50? Because of the extremely rare chance that the player could get both!

Molten_Infusion_Stone.png

Molten Infusion Stone

The Molten Infusion Stone is a new accessory that is has a 10% chance to be dropped by the Igneous Slime. When equipped, it gives you 10% damage resistance against fire-based enemies, and causes the On Fire! debuff to give you 2 health per second. It will also become a necessary item for the fire gauntlet, and will cause it to inherit the Molten Infusion Stone's effects.

Fire_Gel.png

Fire Gel

Fire Gel is an item that is dropped by the Igneous Slime. It can be used with a wood to craft 5 torches, a mushroom and 3 bottles to create 3 restoration potions, the resurrection potion, and 3 weapons.

Curling_Flame.png

Curling Flame
32 dM
Average kB
4% Critical
Fast Usetime
Fire_Gel.png
x15,
Basalt.png
x25,
Gold_Bar.png
/
Platinum_Bar.png
x30

The Curling Flame is a sword that, when used, shoots a wall of flames similar to the hammush. These flames deal 24 damage and inflict the On Fire! debuff.

Handcannon.png

Handcannon
32 dM
Extreme kB
8% Critical
Slow Usetime
Fire_Gel.png
x20,
Basalt.png
x20,
Gold_Bar.png
/
Platinum_Bar.png
x25

The Handcannon is a slow but extremely powerful handgun. It has extreme knockback power, and is good for keeping enemies at bay.

Eruption_Tome.png

Eruption Tome
42 dM
Strong kB
4% Critical
8 Mana
Average Usetime
Fire_Gel.png
x35,
Spell_Tome.png
x1,
Soul_of_Light.gif
x15

The Eruption is a hardmode spell tome that shoots a flame which is almost exactly like the water bolt, except that it does more damage and bounces more times. It also sets enemies aflame.

Fire_Core.png

Fire Core

Has a 33% chance of dropping from the Magma Golem. It is used to craft the plasma armor set.

Plasma_Armor.png

Plasma Armor
45 Defense

Helmet
10 Defense
+15% Mage & Summoner Critical Chance
Adamantite_Bar.png
/
Titanium_Bar.png
x10,
Fire_Core.png
x1

Breastplate
16 Defense
+20% Mage & Summoner Damage
Adamantite_Bar.png
/
Titanium_Bar.png
x20,
Fire_Core.png
x1

Greaves

12 Defense
+30% Movement Speed
Adamantite_Bar.png
/
Titanium_Bar.png
x16,
Fire_Core.png
x1

Set Bonus : All mage and summoner attacks inflict on fire, and if the player lands ontop of lava, they will be shot up into the air and take no damage.

This armor is meant as a direct alternate to the frost armor.

Resurrection_Potion.png

Lazarus Potion
Fire_Trout.png
x1,
Fire_Gel.png
x3 ,
Deathweed.png
x1,

The Resurrection Potion is a new potion that works similar to the wormhole potion, where you go to the map, click on an icon, and are instantly transported there. Instead of another player's icon, you now can teleport to one of your recent death points.

Fish

kdcROYP.png

Quest Fish

Sulfish.png

Sulfish
"I've heard that there is a fish in the lava pools of the volcano that is made out of sulfur! Have you ever smelled the sulfur there? It's really bad! Get that fish for me so that I can hide it under someone's mattress!"

Igneozoan.png

Igneozoan
"I was fishing around in the molten lava of the volcano, when I nearly lost my rod to this squid thing! It looks just like those ones that are always jetting around. Catch it for me so I can figure out how they float!

Lava_Fish.png

Lava Fish
"I went to the volcano one day when all of a sudden I see a blob of lava with fins and a tail leap out of the magma! Then it dove back in real quick. Go catch it for me so I can see what happens when I pour water on it!"

Other Fish

Fire_Trout.png

Fire Trout

The fire trout is a fairly common fish that is found in the lava pools of the volcano. It is used in the Resurrection Potion.

Epilogue

kdcROYP.png

Thank you all for reading my volcano suggestion! If you have any ideas for improvement, any suggestions for new items, or any general things to say, please tell me!

Last edited:
This looks like a great Volcano Biome overall.

About the Fire Feather, I'm aware that the current drop rate for the Fire Feather is 1.33% from the Red Devil and the Magma Golem has this drop instead here, though I still think it should be slightly higher than 1%. Something like 5-10% at least because it sounds like fighting the Magma Golem would be much harder than fighting the Ice Golem which drops an equivalent item at a much higher drop rate, so the risk/reward factor is highly out of balance between these 2 enemies taking this into account mainly because the 2 enemies are more similar to each other than when the Red Devil dropped the Feather (I also think the Fire Feather Drop rate should be increased in the current Vanilla game for this anyway). Changing the Fire Feather Drop in this suggestion seems like it would be a good opportunity to make a change like this.

Dropping 20 Gold Coins also sounds like a lot for the Magma Golem. (In Expert Mode this would likely be 50-60 coins as Money drops are x2 to x3 higher in Expert Mode). No other Miniboss enemy in the game drops this much gold and even the Jungle Temple Golem only drops around 15 Gold and the Magma Golem is only a Hardmode miniboss which isn't restricted by the weather like the Ice Golem is, which leads to a chance of the player easily farming the Magma Golem for a lot of money later into Hardmode. I would recommend reducing this amount to 5-10 Gold.

Other than those things everything looks like it fits well for this suggestion. Really like the Plasma Armor being an All-Rounder Armor. Can't say whether it is overpowered or not for its Tier, but it sounds good to me. The Fire Gel as well as Chest Items all sound very fun to use and natural hazards within the Volcano combined with the strong overall enemies make this a dangerous and fun Biome to Explore, so I throw my support to this Suggestion.

Very well done and descriptor suggestion! I support it 100%, it's just that my suggestion is to add 1-3 more time to prevent it being over-shadowed by the Cursed Flames. Anyways, great job!

This tree will grow in the underworld and volcano biome on any available ash. They drop petrified wood, which has it's own ruined, old looking furniture set.

I think the wood could also be made of the respectively weapon and armor, with the same status of pearlwood.

Plasma Armor
51 Defense

Helmet
13 Defense
+15% Critical Chance
Hallowed_Bar.png
x20,
index.php
x1

Breastplate
24 Defense
+18% Damage
Hallowed_Bar.png
x25,
index.php
x1

Greaves

14 Defense
+25% Movement Speed
Hallowed_Bar.png
x15,
index.php
x1

Maybe it could use the Adamantite/Titanium bar like its counterpart, frost armor.

Also, personally, it might also be as a Hybid of Magic/Summon armor, as the frost armor is the Melee/Ranged hybid, with less defense. (but I'm not sure which one would be better)

I think the wood could also be made of the respectively weapon and armor, with the same status of pearlwood.

Maybe it could use the Adamantite/Titanium bar like its counterpart, frost armor.

Also, personally, it might also be as a Hybid of Magic/Summon armor, as the frost armor is the Melee/Ranged hybid, with less defense. (but I'm not sure which one would be better)
The tree would have its own weapons and armor. :l

And I was going to have plasma armor use adamantite/titanium and or have it be a magic/summoner combo, but I decided that it should be a kind of jack-of-all-trades armor for use between the mechs and plantera.
[DOUBLEPOST=1449660537,1449660486][/DOUBLEPOST]
Very well done and descriptor suggestion! I support it 100%, it's just that my suggestion is to add 1-3 more time to prevent it being over-shadowed by the Cursed Flames. Anyways, great job!
Can you be more specific?

This would be incredibly useful for mages and summoners. @SnailsAttack You said you want it to be a 'jack-of-all-trades' armour, and that would be interesting and would definitely make it stand out, but hard mode armours are generally themed to one type of attack. Also, as melee and ranged have frost armour, I can see this being completely overlooked by those characters. :|

Back
Top Bottom