Jeckel Q&A

Jeckel

Terrarian
Being a moderator and a fan of transparency, I thought it might be nice to give interested members a place to learn more about me. I'm a fairly open person, so you can ask just about anything that you wish. The only out-of-bounds topics I can think of off the top of my head are my specific location and appearance, though I of course reserve the right to refuse to answer any questions at my own discretion.

To get those two no-go topics off the board:
I grew up in Illinois, USA and now live in Arkansas, USA.
I'm a light skinned male in my late 30s.

Being a moderator and a fan of transparency, I thought it might be nice to give interested members a place to learn more about me. I'm a fairly open person, so you can ask just about anything that you wish. The only out-of-bounds topics I can think of off the top of my head are my specific location and appearance, though I of course reserve the right to refuse to answer any questions at my own discretion.

What are your hobbies, and what do you do in your free time?
Do you have a job outside of TCF that you want to mention? If so, what do you think of the job?
What do you think of TCF as a whole, and is being a moderator enjoyable to you?

Where have you been, and what have you been up to?

I ran into some financial hardships, the details are quite boring so I'm not going to get into them, and didn't feel I was able to devote the time to this place that it deserves. After moving to my new place I was able to get all that nonsense sorted out and have thus finally felt that I was in a position to return. As for what I was up to in the time I was gone, I took a break from most of the internet and decided that I wanted to move away from being a programmer, though I'm not really sure yet what I'm going to do from here on out.

What are your hobbies, and what do you do in your free time?
Do you have a job outside of TCF that you want to mention? If so, what do you think of the job?
What do you think of TCF as a whole, and is being a moderator enjoyable to you?

Traditionally, I've spent a lot of my free time programming. I read and listen to audio books and I watch a bunch of tv shows. I enjoy falling into blackholes on Wikipedia, TvTropes, and the internet in general. Lately, since I now have quite a bit of family around, I spend a good amount of my time hanging out with my cousins.

I was a freelance programmer for about ten years and I loved every minute of it, even the parts that I hated. Before that, I spent a few years as a live-in nanny for a family and then spent about a year helping take care of foster children in a temporary foster home that focused on children with developmental and emotional issues before they were assigned to more permanent families. Those years were some of the most fulfilling I've ever experienced and I can't imagine anything ever making me as happy as that time did.

TCF is all kinds of awesome, from top to bottom, admins to moderators to members. Yes, I enjoy being a moderator very much and am glad that I can give a something back to the game and community that have given me so much good times.

Do you enjoy anime?

Not particularly. Though I do think that Cowboy Beebop is one of the best series ever, in anime or otherwise. I also liked Spirited Away and was into Yu Yu Hakusho for a while.

Do you like ants?
From your profile image I would assume you have atleast a mild interest.

I personally have been trying to get into antkeeping.

Do you like ants?
From your profile image I would assume you have atleast a mild interest.

I personally have been trying to get into antkeeping.

While I have never kept ants as pets, I am extremely interested and impressed by them. Ants are the only species on the planet, besides humans, that build complex societies, farm vegitation, and herd other creatures. Some species use their own bodies to construct their nests, others farm fungus including the use of fertilizer and herbicide/pesticide, still others herd aphids to milk their sugary nectar, and still more others turn their own bodies into larders to hold food for tough times. I find the varied and extraordinary ways they have evolved and adapted to be endlessly fascinating.

What would you like to do with life? Any goals? Ambitions? Desires? And what would your dream job be?

[clever and funny message]

Would you rather have a mustache that talks on it's own accord or butthair that makes fart noises 24/7

Would you rather have ear hair that makes annoying noises all day all week or nosehair that smells of death and worse

if you could add or improve anything to your body(extra limbs, faster/stronger muscles) what would it be and why?

How would you imagine your life to be if you had tastebuds in your butthole?

if you could bring the things you draw to life, what would you draw and why?

if you could have any super power, what would you do with them?

Vampires or werewolves?

Dogs or cats?

Would you like to see a Shrek vanity in Terraria?

If you encountered a walking, talking banana down the street, how would you call your new bestest friend?

If you rolled up inside a pizza to become a human pizza burrito, would you be a happy human pizza burrito?

Do you like pizza?

If you could take the place of an inanimate object of choice, becoming able to decide when you'd open/close (in case of a door) , what would you be and why?

If you woke up one day and found yourself having entered another reality; where everything is completely different, however with the same people in it, where they have no knowledge of previous reality, while you do.. What would you do?

If you had to pick 1 youtube song video to be your theme, what video would it be?

If you had a small portal you could reach into that enabled you to retrieve any object fitting through it, both fictional and real, what would you take and why? (imagine the portal-hole to be the size of a missing brick in a brick wall)

What would you have if you gained the powers and abilities from the last character you played as?

if you could have any mythical creature (dragons and :red:) as a pet as loyal and peaceful as a dog, what would it be and why?

If you had a split personality, and each one controlled 1 half of your face, which of you would do what?

If you could pick any mask to replace your current face with, what mask would it be?

If you were the cause of the apocalypse, how would you do it?

What would you like to do with life? Any goals? Ambitions? Desires? And what would your dream job be?

Those are some big questions, and ones I've been asking myself a lot over the last year. The short answer is that I have no idea, at the moment, what I want to do with my life. In longer form, like many people, I have ambitions of writing novels, but I can never seem to buckle down and do the work. I would like to work with children again, perhaps as programming teacher or as a counselor. The only honest answer I can give at the moment is the big 'I don't know'.

Would you rather have a mustache that talks on it's own accord or butthair that makes fart noises 24/7

I can't stand having a mustache, so I guess the latter.

Would you rather have ear hair that makes annoying noises all day all week or nosehair that smells of death and worse

I am always hearing a ringing in my ears since I spent to much time in mosh pits as a teen, so I guess the former, as it wouldn't be much of an inconvience.

if you could add or improve anything to your body(extra limbs, faster/stronger muscles) what would it be and why?

I wouldn't add anything, I'm completely happy with the way I am.

How would you imagine your life to be if you had tastebuds in your butthole?

I imagine it would be a lot like that episode of South Park, though I guess without the pooping out of the mouth part.

if you could bring the things you draw to life, what would you draw and why?

Mac and Cheese, because I can't draw worth :red:e and any of my drawing brought to life would be Lovercraftian horrors of the most horrendous sort.

if you could have any super power, what would you do with them?

Superspeed, because the Flash is awesome, and I would use the speedforce to change the color of my costume, of course.

Vampires or werewolves?

Vampires and werewolves, pffft. Jack Harkness-like Undying and Highlander-like Immortals all the way.

Dogs or cats?

Neither, guinea pigs are the best and any rodent is better than cats and dogs.

Would you like to see a Shrek vanity in Terraria?

I support just about any addition of more vanity gear, though I'd pick Donkey over Shrek if given the option.

If you encountered a walking, talking banana down the street, how would you call your new bestest friend?

How would I call a walking, talking banana? Why, with my phone, of course.

If you rolled up inside a pizza to become a human pizza burrito, would you be a happy human pizza burrito?

I'm always happy, pizza burritoed or otherwise. :)

Do you like pizza?

What kind of question is that. Only an utter monster doesn't like pizza.

If you could take the place of an inanimate object of choice, becoming able to decide when you'd open/close (in case of a door) , what would you be and why?

I'd be a computer, because I can already make computers dance to my whims and if I WAS a computer, then I would be able to again dance like I could when I was younger.

If you woke up one day and found yourself having entered another reality; where everything is completely different, however with the same people in it, where they have no knowledge of previous reality, while you do.. What would you do?

This happens to everyone when you hit about 30 and what you end up doing is telling everyone around you how much better things were back in the day. So, I guess I'd spend my time yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

If you had to pick 1 youtube song video to be your theme, what video would it be?

The Boss:

If you had a small portal you could reach into that enabled you to retrieve any object fitting through it, both fictional and real, what would you take and why? (imagine the portal-hole to be the size of a missing brick in a brick wall)

First edition printings of all my favorite books, preferably signed by the authors.

What would you have if you gained the powers and abilities from the last character you played as?

I'd have a sweet suit of Power Armor and no ability to hold complex conversations.

if you could have any mythical creature (dragons and :red:) as a pet as loyal and peaceful as a dog, what would it be and why?

A Pygmy Dire Guinea Pig. All the ferociousness of a dire wolf in the adorable package of a guinea pig and small enough to keep in an aquarium.

If you had a split personality, and each one controlled 1 half of your face, which of you would do what?

One would laugh and the other would cry, because Comedy and Tragedy are the foundations of sentience.

If you could pick any mask to replace your current face with, what mask would it be?

One that looked just like my current face, because that is who I am and I'm fine with it.

If you were the cause of the apocalypse, how would you do it?

Wouldn't you like to know. Let's just say it started in 1999 and things are progressing exactly according to plan.

Lets see.

How did you 1st discover Terraria and how did you get interested in it?

Aside from Terraria, what other games do you enjoy?

How long have you been programing?

If you could program an A.I. that only listens to you and can manipulate almost any Electronic Device would you do it? And what would you use it for?

How did you 1st discover Terraria and how did you get interested in it?

I had been learning C# and XNA (the language and graphics library, respectively, used by Terraria) and was looking around for games made using those two things. Then, while I was out wandering around, a copy of the leaked alpha version of Terraria fell off the back of a truck. As soon as I played it, I was hooked by the harvesting and building mechanics. It seemed like an open world Mario game, something just about every kid in 80s dreamed of. I'm a sucker for building games in general and the simple 2D perspective was a releif in a world so heavily focused on graphics over gameplay.

Aside from Terraria, what other games do you enjoy?

Well, there is Minecraft, again, I love building games. In some what of the same vein, I'm a huge fan of Civilization and SimCity (though not SimCity 5, bleh, now I've switch to Cities Skylines) due to them being all about creative building with a bit of strategy. In days past I was into RTS games, Sins of a Solar Empires, Command and Conquers, Warcrafts (not WoW, again, bleh), and the grandfather of the RTS genre Dune 2. Outside of those, I mainly play franchises with interesting stories: Mass Effect, Fallout, Assassin's Creed, Dead Rising, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. I've played all the old Forgotten Realms RPGs, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, etc. Lastly, I'm still playing Eve going on 6 years, I think, though I play it completely solo and am not much into MMOs in general.

How long have you been programing?

I started programming in high school in BASIC, that was the mid 90s, though I didn't really get into it until I started roleplaying on MUSHes in the early 2000s and got into softcoding. Around 2003ish I got into Python in anticipation of modding Civilization 4, moved to C++ around 2004, and never looked back, only forward, from that point on. So, I guess I've been programming going on 15 years and doing it seriously for around 8 to 11 years, depending on how I count it, but I've done the bulk of my work in the last 4 to 5 years since I got into C#.

If you could program an A.I. that only listens to you and can manipulate almost any Electronic Device would you do it? And what would you use it for?

I would like to say, no, I would not make a true AI... but... much like any engineer or scientist, if I had the ability, I can't say I wouldn't do it just to prove to myself that I could. If I did make a true AI, I wouldn't use it for anything. I would do my best to teach it the importance of empathy and the sanctity of life, and then I would let it exercise its freewill as a thinking, sentient being.

How did you get your TCF/TO name?

Originally, it was taken from the title of an Insane Clown Posse album, but over the years Jay Jeckel has become who I am on the internet. It is the name I use everywhere online and if you see Jeckel or JayJeckel somewhere with an ant or hamster avatar, then there is a decent chance that it is me.

Suppose you wake up one day to find the closest thing to your heart has vanished, what do you do?

First: What and what accessories do I sell?
Second: How much muns u get a year?

Suppose you wake up one day to find the closest thing to your heart has vanished, what do you do?

Well, the closest thing to my heart is my family, so if one of them vanished I would scorch the entire planet if I had to in order to find them and those responsible would beg for relief from the hell that I would rain down upon them. ~:mad:

First: What and what accessories do I sell?

I'm afraid I have no idea. :(

Second: How much muns u get a year?

How much money do I make in a year? About 14 to 15 thousand. A bit more when I was working on a paying project. If that isn't what you were asking, please rephrase.

Well, the closest thing to my heart is my family, so if one of them vanished I would scorch the entire planet if I had to in order to find them and those responsible would beg for relief from the hell that I would rain down upon them. ~:mad:

I'm afraid I have no idea. :(

How much money do I make in a year? About 14 to 15 thousand. A bit more when I was working on a paying project. If that isn't what you were asking, please rephrase.
You answered my question

And attend the funeral?
Anyways are you happy with your life as of late?

And attend the funeral?

Probably not. I don't go to funerals, I find them a strange and confusing tradition. I have no desire to see those I love as lifeless corpses and would rather remember them as they were in life. Funerals have always bewildered me, as whether you believe in an afterlife or not, a body is not the person, just a former husk, and crying over it accomplishes nothing. I would rather get together with others that knew a person and reminisce about the good times than sit around an overpriced funeral home or cemetery crying about a person being gone. I also don't do emotions and funerals are stacked full of them.

Anyways are you happy with your life as of late?

Oh yea, I'm very happy with my life, both currently and in general. I've lived through some very bad stuff, but dwelling on the bad points doesn't make them go away and very likely will cause one to miss out on good things, so I tend to let the bad go and embrace the good. If all else fails, put a smile on your face and fake it until you make it.

Probably not. I don't go to funerals, I find them a strange and confusing tradition. I have no desire to see those I love as lifeless corpses and would rather remember them as they were in life. Funerals have always bewildered me, as whether you believe in an afterlife or not, a body is not the person, just a former husk, and crying over it accomplishes nothing. I would rather get together with others that knew a person and reminisce about the good times than sit around an overpriced funeral home or cemetery crying about a person being gone. I also don't do emotions and funerals are stacked full of them.

Oh yea, I'm very happy with my life, both currently and in general. I've lived through some very bad stuff, but dwelling on the bad points doesn't make them go away and very likely will cause one to miss out on good things, so I tend to let the bad go and embrace the good. If all else fails, put a smile on your face and fake it until you make it.
It's nice to see some people have hope!

Back
Top Bottom