Won't the whole wiki situation screw us over in the end?

ExoticCharm

Terrarian
Currently, clicking on the "wiki" section takes you back to the curse site. That's fine for now, but it was mentioned before that the curse site we stay up for as long as curse wants it to.

Doesn't that mean that it's only a matter of time before it disappears and we lose all of that information? Shouldn't we start building a wiki on this website and begin porting things over?

The wiki and TO are separate, from what I know.

The date of one is not tied to the other.

That said, it's a fair discussion.....

Terraria Community Wiki? Sounds interesting. But there's a bit of a problem. The as of now Official Wiki occasionally gets some weird and trollish joke edits or unfounded trivia and such. To have one here, it'd need to be held to a higher standard, and possibly only have those that can trusted with the task to work on it.

That's really just an opinion though, no idea what the staff would think of the topic. It definitely should be as high quality as this new forum is, though, if it came to be.

If we decided to do this, we would need dev resources up front and then we would likely move to a dedicated and structured wiki staff to uphold quality standards.

*IF*

Not even sure of the appetite for this....my guess would be "can't pull resource during 1.3" would be the near-term response...but I'll raise this and the issues around mapshare

We could always use the terraria wiki site that isnt curse.

The best alternative I have found was the terraria.wikia.com site. However, the amount of information doesn't come close. For instance, typing in "spawning" at the wikia site gives you a brief description and mentions what affects it, but the curse site has charts and other very specific numbers as well as descriptions to how ticks works. That's stuff that you can't find on your own unless you know where to look in the game's code.

If we decided to do this, we would need dev resources up front and then we would likely move to a dedicated and structured wiki staff to uphold quality standards.

*IF*

Not even sure of the appetite for this....my guess would be "can't pull resource during 1.3" would be the near-term response...but I'll raise this and the issues around mapshare

That's kind of my thought.

As it's been mentioned several times in the past, the wiki is made by the users, not devs (a fact I feel the need to mention since so many people seem to not realize it). This basically means there will be a lot of work ahead of us to get a new wiki as good as the old one. However, devs would have to make the first step in getting the base for the wiki set up and I imagine the 1.3 update is considered far more important.

I got pretty good at modifying the last site and updating information, and I'm sure many others like myself wouldn't mind helping out on a new site. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. I just don't want to wait TOO long a suddenly find a lot of useful information suddenly wiped off the internet. It took years to build the original curse site to what it is today. Who knows how long it would take to do it again from scratch.

it would take a crapton of time to port everything over, but I agree that we need to get away from curse.

isn't this site the official?
http://terraria.wiki.gg/Terraria_Wiki
Didn't know that one was from curse, does there exists a real official wiki?
it only said that TO should disappear later, there's nothing said about the wiki

As I noted, the wiki and TO are separate entities, though both under Curse.

Their fates are not necessarily linked. That wiki is the most official one available today.

Does Curse even know about TCF? If so, I'm surprised they haven't pulled the plug on the Wiki AND TO. I would have.

I agree with @Dettbizzle on how the title could have been named differently.

If TO and the Curse wiki are separate entities, and we're still advertising that wiki here on TCF, should we be worried about Curse pulling the plug on the wiki due to TO's lack of activity? I don't think Curse would pull the plug on something we're still advertising and driving traffic to, based on that, I don't think we have to worry about Curse pulling the plug.

My first paragraph is pretty much the opposite of what's mentioned in the scenario talked about in the OP, though. So considering that there may be a small possibility of the Curse wiki having its plug pulled, perhaps it would be best to save some of the more important, "have to look in the game's coding" information? (When I say "important info that requires searching the games coding", I mean pages like the Spawning article and such.) There's probably better ways of saving the important information, but I can only think of two viable methods, at the moement.

1. Take screenshots the important articles, then using the screenshots as a reference when transferring information.
  2. Copy the content of a page to a document program such as Microsoft Word. All we'd have to do is either copy+paste the info directly, or use the document containing the information as a reference.

Like I said, there's probably better methods of saving the information, so please let me know if there is.

On the topic of either creating a new Official wiki, or just migrating to the Terraria Wikia, it really just depends on the Dev's perspective on this.

In my opinion, in the scenario of the Curse wiki's death, the Curse wiki's users should migrate over to the Terraria Wikia. The Terraria Wikia already has a stable community and it's a fairly good, reliable source of Terraria information. I completely agree that the Curse wiki's information is more in-depth and has info that Wikia does not; that is where the information transfer methods I mentioned above might come into play. In theory, we could transfer the information we saved from the Curse wiki to Wikia in a matter of ~hours. (The time it takes would depend on the methods we use.) Once the transfer is complete, I suppose that the Devs could change the link to the Curse wiki to a link to Wikia and post a thread explaining what happened with Curse shutting the wiki down and what exactly they're planning on doing.

Starting an official wiki would be nice, but unneeded. It would cost a lot of money and time to create, I imagine. And transferring all of the articles manually to it would be a major pain. I can see the benefits of creating an official wiki, though. I just think that transferring everything to Wikia, in the case of a "Curse's death" scenario, would be the most efficient way of handling this potential issue.

I suppose that's all I have to say concerning this.

Luckily I'm using the terraria.wikia.com . It's better than the official one in my opinion.

I don't see this as a big problem in the near term. Curse still makes a lot of money from ad revenue and web hits from both TO and the wiki. Neither are going to be shut down anytime soon.

The Curse staff that "runs" the wiki is completely different than the ones who run (or as the case may be, completely ignored running) TO. The wiki has always been well maintained, to my knowledge - not talking about the content so much as I am the software getting updates, being up and available, etc. - the things in the background that no one ever sees being done by Curse. I don't know who there is managing it now; the long-time manager Wyn passed away a few months ago. But all of Curse's wiki's nearly 700 wikis are managed together, so I don't think it's a big drain on them to keep doing that stuff. Gamepedia is one thing that Curse seems to do well, and it costs us nothing in money or support effort.

When Redigit first "left" the game and no one thought he was coming back or that there would ever be any more updates, Curse didn't make any moves to shut down either the forum or the wiki. I don't think they are going to do so now.

I also don't think that building a new wiki as part of Terraria.org is as simple as a copy/paste from one site to another, not by a long shot. I think people are greatly underestimating the size of the task.

Last edited:
I don't see this as a big problem in the near term. Curse still makes a lot of money from ad revenue and web hits from both TO and the wiki. Neither are going to be shut down anytime soon.

The Curse staff that "runs" the wiki is completely different than the ones who run (or as the case may be, completely ignored running) TO. The wiki has always been well maintained, to my knowledge - not talking about the content so much as I am the software getting updates, being up and available, etc. - the things in the background that no one ever sees being done by Curse. I don't know who there is managing it now; the long-time manager Wyn passed away a few months ago. But all of Curse's wiki's nearly 700 wikis are managed together, so I don't think it's a big drain on them to keep doing that stuff. Gamepedia is one thing that Curse seems to do well, and it costs us nothing in money or support effort.

When Redigit first "left" the game and no one thought he was coming back or that there would ever be any more updates, Curse didn't make any moves to shut down either the forum or the wiki. I don't think they are going to do so now.

I also don't think that it's as simple as a copy/paste from one site to another, not by a long shot. I think people are greatly underestimating the size of the task.
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be a major problem.

When you say, "it would be a major task to transfer info..." do you mean transferring some information to Wikia, or do you mean creating an entire new wiki and transferring the info to there? If you're talking about Wikia, I don't really see it being a big task as there likely *won't be much to add. If you're talking about creating a new wiki, I agree; It would definitely be a massive job to transfer the entire Curse wiki to the new wiki.

*When I say "won't be much", I don't mean a puny amount of info. It would still be quite the job to transfer info from the Curse wiki to Wikia, but it's nothing compared to creating a whole new wiki.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be a major problem.

When you say, "it would be a major task to transfer info..." do you mean transferring some information to Wikia, or do you mean creating an entire new wiki and transferring the info to there? If you're talking about Wikia, I don't really see it being a big task as there likely *won't be much to add. If you're talking about creating a new wiki, I agree; It would definitely be a massive job to transfer the entire Curse wiki to the new wiki.

*When I say "won't be much", I don't mean a puny amount of info. It would still be quite the job to transfer info from the Curse wiki to Wikia, but it's nothing compared to creating a whole new wiki.
I edited my post to be more clear, I meant it would be a major task to build a new wiki.

Tunnel King is right, however, if something were to happen to the wiki, it would be nice to have backup

Back
Top Bottom