Ultimate Truffle Worm Farm + Early Fishron Farming/Sequence Breaking

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
I constructed a much improved Truffle Worm autofarm after the changes to Truffle Worms in 1.3. Truffle Worms can now be killed by hostile mobs, and hostile mobs are much more difficult to kill via traps in expert mode, so the previous version of the farm is no longer very effective. The previous version can be found here:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/truffle-worm-afk-farming-guide.4807/

The new version uses a very different and vastly superior approach, and is significantly easier to build because it avoids the need to farm multiple worlds for 16+ Lihzahrd Dart Traps. First, let's take a quick look at the action, and then discuss how the new farm works. The video also shows how Fishron can be killed over and over in early hardmode using all the Truffle Worms you farm up.

Video Guide to the Ultimate Truffle Worm Farm + Killing Fishron Early:

Video of Truffle Farm version 1:

Explanation:

The spawn surface is lined with actuated teleporters, and hostile mobs that spawn are instantly teleported away. Truffle Worms and Glowing Snails cannot be teleported, so they stick around and crawl into a horizontal tunnel, and eventually drop into a chute where the player is positioned. The mobs are teleported to a teleporter that is at least 252 tiles away horizontally or 142 tiles vertically from the player's postion which causes the mobs to instantly despawn (source:http://terraria.wiki.gg/NPC_despawning) and thus prevent any backwards-teleportation. Backwards-teleportation is usually the main issue in using spawn surface teleporters, and thus it's much better to despawn mobs than to send them into a kill chamber. Plus, since despawning is near instantaneous, it generates a much more rapid turnover of mobs than taking the time to kill them.

There is one other major advantage to despawning the spawned mobs - it also instantly removes the Skeleton Merchant, who is otherwise a major problem if allowed to stick around. When he arrives all mob spawns are blocked.

To achieve the teleportation of mobs, a dummy ghost moves across a hoik track below the spawn area in cyclic fashion, activating pressure plates along the way. Each pressure plate is connected to a teleporter above in the spawn area, and all the wires from the teleporters are joined together and lead to the distant teleporter. When 3 or more teleporters are connected with the same wire, it is necessary to use a pressure plate closest to a given teleporter to teleport any mob from that specific teleporter - that pressure plate is incapable of teleporting mobs from any other teleporter.

Note that the mobs can still unfortunately spawn directly on top of the Truffle Worms, killing them instantly before they are teleported away. However, this is completely unavoidable, and doesn't happen all that often so the Worm capture rate is still very high.

Schematics:

2Fbn1cj.jpg

The player first enters the teleporter in the bottom right area where the hoik track is, and is hoiked across that track sending two dummies, in staggered fashion, into the teleportation system on the left. The player then starts autoswinging the net, and when farming is finished the player pulls the right lever to teleport back to home base. The green wire on the far left extends 252+ tiles to a teleporter to despawn the mobs. The blue wire at the bottom extends to home base. The height of the chute must be at least 11 tiles to ensure that the worms don't run away from the player.

The farm can also be constructed right after the first mechanical boss is defeated and access to teleporters is gained by using regular dart traps instead of spiky ball traps. The dart traps take about 4 times longer to defeat the bulbs, but they are still pretty effective as can be seen here:

Video of Truffle Farm version 2:

Schematic:

2xuyI28.jpg

The player is teleported into the farm to the immediate right of the dummy. The player then walks over the 16 pressure plates (without using any speed-boosting gear) and stops at the end. Walking over the pressure plates this way generates a stream of evenly spaced darts, and the dummy ghost keeps the darts continuously firing by activating the pressure plates in the track to the left.

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBRHVEV1B0Z3cxUHc/view?usp=sharing

To reach the Truffle Worm farm, input C1 in the teleporter hub. There's a net in the chest to your right when you teleport in.

Last edited:
This also solves the issues of farming glowing snails post-hardmode. Would there be any benefit to using temple traps instead of normal dart traps (spare no expense, as John Hammond would say.) I'm guessing no in this situation, as the glowing bulbs probably don't last long enough to impact spawn rate either way.

This also solves the issues of farming glowing snails post-hardmode. Would there be any benefit to using temple traps instead of normal dart traps (spare no expense, as John Hammond would say.) I'm guessing no in this situation, as the glowing bulbs probably don't last long enough to impact spawn rate either way.

I believe you're right about the glowing bulbs not impacting spawn rates for the most part. There could be some rare situations with 3-4 bulbs on screen with 10+ snails and worms crawling down the tube which would result in a hit to spawn and turnover rate, but probably not worth worrying about. In any case, the player can very quickly convert from dart traps to spiky ball traps if desired.

Ah, I hadn't considered the impact of the snails and worms on the spawn rate combining with the bulbs. As you said though, probably not common enough to be a concern.

I love this farm. I let it run for about 6 hours and got 1364 truffle worms. Thank you very much. You are a legend.

Glad the farm is working well for you! You might even consider upgrading it to a much improved version provided you have some flame traps:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=573266060

I still need to update the guide on these forums, but the steam guide has the latest schematics. Basically, I shifted the player above the spawn surface, and created two spawn layers - the bottom one has hoik teeth to capture and move the worms to safety as soon as possible. The rate in this farm jumps to around 380 worms per hour!

Here's a brief video of the upgraded version (credit to Bahamut2001 for his continuous flame mechanism):

WOW! Just wow. That is crazy.
I'm gonna just stick with the one I already made as I get enough truffle worms to last the rest of my life. I sold most of the worms and kept around 100 for summoning the Duke.
Great job man. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

WOW! Just wow. That is crazy.
I'm gonna just stick with the one I already made as I get enough truffle worms to last the rest of my life. I sold most of the worms and kept around 100 for summoning the Duke.
Great job man. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

What's coming next should be pretty epic I think. It's already built and finished, and now I have to finish editing the video. It's easily my biggest project to date :). I'll post it in the main forums when I'm done!

On the mobile version, my over world biome where my truffle's house is, sometimes truffle worms just fly around until I kill it! It does not hide or anything! :^)

Hello DicemanX, first of all thanks for this great invention for a farm in terraria, finally I was able to obtain the medusa head... :) I have also a question what's the dye that you used for the slime mount?

Hello DicemanX, first of all thanks for this great invention for a farm in terraria, finally I was able to obtain the medusa head... :) I have also a question what's the dye that you used for the slime mount?

Glad the farm is working well for you! The dye is midnight rainbow.

Back
Top Bottom