Ultimate Mob Autofarm (all Mimic drops, 5 Biome Keys, Souls of Light/Night, RoD, many other drops)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
My latest autofarm allows the player to farm for a wide variety of drops, including all dungeon biome keys, souls of light and night, all mimic drops, and 40+ monster banners. It utilizes a damage prevention machine consisting of a slime mount bouncing off two dummies - the player is granted 6 frames of invincibility each time the slime mount hits something, so putting a ceiling 3 or 4 tiles above the top of the dummies allows for continuous bouncing and constant invincibility. This idea was first proposed by Thiner here:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/a-new-type-of-invulnerability-machine.27586/

The video demonstrates the effectiveness of the farming approach using the damage prevention machine. not only is damage prevented, but the slime also deals a lot of damage to the mobs and the player is able to pick up the majority of the drops due to the close proximity to the mobs when they die. The video presents both a fully tricked-out version of the farm and a bare minimum farm that's much easier to build but without many of the features of the tricked-out farm. The farm can be experienced first-hand by downloading the world and entering C0 in the teleporter hub to reach the starting chamber.

Video:

Farming Protocol:

The player begins in the starting chamber to the left of the right spawn area. The player first jumps on the slime mount, and then teleports into the kill chamber. The player then summons 1-2 minions (Sharknados are the best) and then pulls down to start hitting the dummies with the slime mount. The levers to the player's side control the biome surface to be farmed, and the green switch above the player can teleport the player between the light (hallowed) and dark (crimson + corruption) sides. The red switch above teleports the player back to the starting chamber.

Schematics:

LRyng22.png

aztnGgV.jpg

Key Dimensions:

The distance from the player's position in the kill chamber and the edge of each spawn surface closest to the player is 62 tiles. Each spawn surface is 22 tiles long, since spawns do not occur beyond 84 tiles from the player's position. Spawn surfaces are blocked up to 48 tiles above and below the player.

Farm Features:

The autofarm has 9 biome surfaces:

Crimson
Corruption
Hallow
Snow
Jungle
Mushroom
Desert
Marble
Granite

The side levers can cycle through the different biomes. Each pull of the lever actuates the current surface and deactuates the next surface.

The switches above the player do the following:

Green Switch: Switch between the light side farming (hallowed keys, hallowed mimics, and souls of light) and dark side farming (crimson/corruption keys and mimics, and souls of night).
Yellow Switch: Turn on Spiky Ball Traps to kill off rooted enemies (Snatchers/Trappers, Fungi Bulbs, and Clingers)
Red Switch: Teleport back to the starting chamber

The leftmost lever by the starting chamber turns on the timer cascade. Another pull of that lever turns the cascade off. The timer cascade cycles every 90 seconds, teleporting the player between the light and dark sides and switching the biome surface. It takes 13.5 minutes to cycle through all 9 biome surfaces.

Base Build Schematics

bYBy9tv.png

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBejVFWFJteXdhLW8/view?usp=sharing

Enter C0 in the teleport hub and equip the slime mount before farming!

Reproducing this farm on console. Having some trouble.
I cannot get mobs to spawn on the line of hallow blocks I put down. I've yet to put any other biome blocks down to test for the switching between spawn surfaces. I note I also have trouble with Hallow spawns on other farms.
Secondly, when i DO get mobs to spawn they keep popping up out of the top of the kill-box instead of being hoiked to the left. I sort of fixed part of it by making the two top layers of the blocks by inverting them but some mobs still pop out the top of the box. Its giving me ticks. :redmunch:

I'm under the kill-box in a collector hole during the process. Using lava to test.
Will likely add flame traps. Won't be near as good as the dummy engine but...console no gots them.

Suggestions?

Reproducing this farm on console. Having some trouble.
I cannot get mobs to spawn on the line of hallow blocks I put down. I've yet to put any other biome blocks down to test for the switching between spawn surfaces. I note I also have trouble with Hallow spawns on other farms.
Secondly, when i DO get mobs to spawn they keep popping up out of the top of the kill-box instead of being hoiked to the left. I sort of fixed part of it by making the two top layers of the blocks by inverting them but some mobs still pop out the top of the box. Its giving me ticks. :redmunch:

I'm under the kill-box in a collector hole during the process. Using lava to test.
Will likely add flame traps. Won't be near as good as the dummy engine but...console no gots them.

Suggestions?

Can you take a pic of your set-up? Also, can you elaborate on why hallow surfaces are giving you trouble in general? Are the hallow mobs not spawning on them, or do they rarely spawn, or is simply nothing spawning at all? What happens if you try other surfaces? Are you using a Water Candle and 80+ jungle biome blocks to increase the spawn rate?

Also, if you're having issues with enemies getting hoiked up instead of into the kill chamber, just add more lines up top hoik teeth and top it off with two solid lines of blocks. Mobs that teleport from a more elevated position relative to the teleporter will potentially escape the kill chamber unless the teeth reach high enough. Since teleporters will teleport any mob that has some part of their body within the 3x3 tile area above the teleporter, using 6+ hoik teeth rows should keep them from escaping.

Can you take a pic of your set-up? Also, can you elaborate on why hallow surfaces are giving you trouble in general? Are the hallow mobs not spawning on them, or do they rarely spawn, or is simply nothing spawning at all? What happens if you try other surfaces? Are you using a Water Candle and 80+ jungle biome blocks to increase the spawn rate?

Also, if you're having issues with enemies getting hoiked up instead of into the kill chamber, just add more lines up top hoik teeth and top it off with two solid lines of blocks. Mobs that teleport from a more elevated position relative to the teleporter will potentially escape the kill chamber unless the teeth reach high enough. Since teleporters will teleport any mob that has some part of their body within the 3x3 tile area above the teleporter, using 6+ hoik teeth rows should keep them from escaping.
Ah! I see what your saying. In fact I don't think the spawn surface is far enough away.

I was just watching your Timer Cascades and Automatic Selectors video as I didn't understand how the surfaces were changed. My question about that is: do you think I can use a skeleton statue and lava or fire trap at the end or the Selector and still get the same result as using the dummy?

I'll get the pictures and videos up soon. (later or tonite)

Last edited:
Ah! I see what your saying. In fact I don't think the spawn surface is far enough away.

The surface should stretch from 62 to 84 tiles from the player's position - so was that the issue then?

I was just watching your Timer Cascades and Automatic Selectors video as I didn't understand how the surfaces were changed. My question about that is: do you think I can use a skeleton statue and lava or fire trap at the end or the Selector and still get the same result as using the dummy?

A skeleton won't work because it will despawn when it goes off-screen, but a town NPC should work just fine. If you build a house on-screen, make it 3 tiles wide at the bottom to put a teleporter there, and teleport the NPC from the house into the hoik mechanism, then the NPC won't teleport back to the house at night so long as the house remains on-screen.

The surface should stretch from 62 to 84 tiles from the player's position - so was that the issue then?

O wow 62-84 huh? Yea, I suspect that's definitely the problem. Mine is probably 40-ish away and only like 10-ish wide. To be honest i have the kill-box just about 30 to the right of the Turbo Truffle Farm. Spawns are totally blocked on that side and now I need to clear out WAY more to the right

A skeleton won't work because it will despawn when it goes off-screen, but a town NPC should work just fine. If you build a house on-screen, make it 3 tiles wide at the bottom to put a teleporter there, and teleport the NPC from the house into the hoik mechanism, then the NPC won't teleport back to the house at night so long as the house remains on-screen.

You mean like the house in your Horseman's Blade Semi-Autofarm video?

O wow 62-84 huh? Yea, I suspect that's definitely the problem. Mine is probably 40-ish away and only like 10-ish wide. To be honest i have the kill-box just about 30 to the right of the Turbo Truffle Farm. Spawns are totally blocked on that side and now I need to clear out WAY more to the right

In ZeroGravitas's truffle farm, the spawn surface is actually below the player (36 or more tiles) which is another good way of doing it. However, in the mob farm I put the spawn surface to the side, not below. The reason is that certain mobs cannot be teleported and can pass through walls (such as Floaty Gross, Enchanted Sword, World Feeder etc.) so positioning the player to the side of the kill chamber opposite to the spawn surface will allow you to farm those mobs more easily because those mobs will be forced to pass through the kill chamber.

You mean like the house in your Horseman's Blade Semi-Autofarm video?

Yes, exactly like that.

@DicemanX: dude, this is totally gonna work on console!

Im gonna probably have to go without a 'down' selector and the timer that auto switches the surface

I learned some 'new-to-me' things deconstructing the diagram, i had no idea you could actuate teleporters and still work

What happens if i build this farm above cavern layer?

@DicemanX: dude, this is totally gonna work on console!

Im gonna probably have to go without a 'down' selector and the timer that auto switches the surface

Sure thing, the up selector is just there for a bit of convenience so only having the down selector is perfectly sufficient!

What happens if i build this farm above cavern layer?

There's a slightly lower spawn rate above the cavern layer, but more importantly you will lose out on some drops.

@DicemanX : some pics of the wiring and setup plus vids of a new set of problems

Completed the surfaces and teleporters and right away experience issues with the teleporters not going to the furthest one away, ie: the output in the kill-box.
I did have these wired up EXACTLY like yours but the blue wire was too close to the actuators on the spawn surfaces and it kept actuating and deactuating the blue wired rows.
Screenshot-Original[1].png Screenshot-Original[1].png

Videos:
broken plates
teleporters not going to farthest pad and mixed broken plates

Fixed teleporter problem via this wire setup. Note the one space between spawn surface and teleporters.
Screenshot-Original[1].png

Still have hoik track problem.

VIDEO: No down-left hoik teeth up top
VIDEO: One row of down-left hoik teek

Two rows of down-left hoik teeth keep mobs in the box but most wind up getting stuck or going to the left very slowly.

Don't know how to fix this.

Also having issues with the mud for the jungle grass getting dried by one or more of the hard mode surfaces thereby killing the jungle grass.

Last edited:
Completed the surfaces and teleporters and right away experience issues with the teleporters not going to the furthest one away, ie: the output in the kill-box.
I did have these wired up EXACTLY like yours but the blue wire was too close to the actuators on the spawn surfaces and it kept actuating and deactuating the blue wired rows.

Videos:
broken plates
teleporters not going to farthest pad and mixed broken plates

Fixed teleporter problem via this wire setup. Note the one space between spawn surface and teleporters.
View attachment 92324

OK good, that fixes the issue by avoiding connecting more than two teleporters with any given wire. Still, the consequences of connecting multiple teleporters should be investigated further on console - maybe there's a different mechanism on console compared to PC? Console also has some weird wire mechanics since the wires can activate things that are 1 tile away, unless that was patched in the latest update.

You can test things by setting up three teleporters, all connected by the same wire, and make one of the teleporters more distant by wire length. Then check if you always get sent to that distant teleporter from any of the other two teleporters.

Still have hoik track problem.

No down-left hoik teeth up top
One row of down-left hoik teek

Two rows of down-left hoik teeth keep mobs in the box but most wind up getting stuck or going to the left very slowly.

Don't know how to fix this.

Yes, rather unexpected behavior because it appears that the hoiks are actually pushing some of the mobs up instead of to the left. See how many more rows of hoiks above the teleporter will solve this problem, since the kill chamber can be fairly tall. You can also try converting all the top hoiks to bottom hoiks, and see what happens.

Also having issues with the mud for the jungle grass getting dried by one or more of the hard mode surfaces.

Do you mean the jungle grass is converted to mud when a surface above is deactuated? If so, you can just make the jungle grass surface the topmost surface.

Yes, rather unexpected behavior because it appears that the hoiks are actually pushing some of the mobs up instead of to the left. See how many more rows of hoiks above the teleporter will solve this problem, since the kill chamber can be fairly tall. You can also try converting all the top hoiks to bottom hoiks, and see what happens.

I'll definatley try that.

Do you mean the jungle grass is converted to mud when a surface above is deactuated? If so, you can just make the jungle grass surface the topmost surface.

The Jungle grass is the top most surface at the moment. Slowly the mud is being converted to dirt and killing the grass.

I have it set up like this, top to bottom:
Jungle
Mushroom
Snow
Crimson
Corruption
Hallow
Screenshot-Original[1].png
You can see its already eaten 4 blocks, one of which i removed.

The Jungle grass is the top most surface at the moment. Slowly the mud is being converted to dirt and killing the grass.

I have it set up like this, top to bottom:
Jungle
Mushroom
Snow
Crimson
Corruption
Hallow
View attachment 92326
You can see its already eaten 4 blocks, one of which i removed.

Ah, I see, it's getting converted because the crimson surface is too close - crimson and corruption blocks can convert blocks within 3 tiles. If you swap the crimson and hallow surfaces, you'll have a 3 tile separation between the jungle surface and the corruption surface.

Ah, I see, it's getting converted because the crimson surface is too close - crimson and corruption blocks can convert blocks within 3 tiles. If you swap the crimson and hallow surfaces, you'll have a 3 tile separation between the jungle surface and the corruption surface.
Ah! TY bud.

Almost working, most of the problems have resolved with a few more rows of teeth and 2 down-left facing.
Some mobs still get stuck...but what can you do no?

Now just need to reverse the Hallow and Crimson, build the house and selector track!

VIDEO

Ah! TY bud.

Almost working, most of the problems have resolved with a few more rows of teeth and 2 down-left facing.
Some mobs still get stuck...but what can you do no?

Now just need to reverse the Hallow and Crimson, build the house and selector track!

VIDEO

Some other things to address:

1) You're better off using spiky ball traps in addition to the flame traps. They will add to the overall DPS since they both do the same damage. However, if you can build spear trap batteries inside the kill chamber, that would be even better since spears do more damage. Adding ravens or pygmies to the box is also a good idea, if you have the raven staff already.

2) From the map view, it looks like you have a layer of blocks with lava on top above the spawn surface. However, spawns can initiate in mid-air, so the more open area you have above the spawn surfaces, the better. If you're worried about mobs escaping up top, move the ceiling so that it is 45 tiles above the player's position. 45 tiles is at the limit where spawns can occur.

3) Try turning the top two rows of hoik teeth so that they point left/upwards, just like all the teeth below. Otherwise, mobs can get stuck in that region where the downwards-pointing teeth meet the upwards-pointing teeth. If that somehow still propels the mobs above and out of the chamber, then try changing all the teeth so they point downards.

4) You'll need to build a long box with spiky ball traps for the jungle/mushroom biome rooted mobs (fungi bulbs, clingers, and maneaters/trappers) just like in the video.

5) You should add regular dart traps at either end of the spawn surfaces (you can connect them to the teleporter wires or to a separate red wire linked to a 1-second timer) to sweep across the surfaces to wake up any mimics that spawn there. 3 Dart Traps are enough for six surfaces.

6) You'll need to guard against the mobs that cannot be teleported and that can fire or clip through walls. This includes mobs such as diggers, devourers, world feeders, shadow hammers, enchanted swords, floaty gross, crimson axes, and rune wizards. If you position yourself to the side instead of below the kill chamber, most of these mobs will end up getting killed in the kill chamber that they'll need to pass through. This still leaves the rune wizard as an issue on some of the spawn surfaces (it will spawn on the hallow and snow surfaces, unless it's different on PC and console). To guard against the wizard you can use the slime invulnerability trick by summoning a slime into the player chamber.

By the way, what hardware and software do you use to shoot console videos? They are good quality videos.

Some other things to address:

1) You're better off using spiky ball traps in addition to the flame traps. They will add to the overall DPS since they both do the same damage. However, if you can build spear trap batteries inside the kill chamber, that would be even better since spears do more damage. Adding ravens or pygmies to the box is also a good idea, if you have the raven staff already.

I'll definitely try spiky balls and spear traps over lava, it hadn't occurred to me that lava is stationary. :)

3) Try turning the top two rows of hoik teeth so that they point left/upwards, just like all the teeth below. Otherwise, mobs can get stuck in that region where the downwards-pointing teeth meet the upwards-pointing teeth. If that somehow still propels the mobs above and out of the chamber, then try changing all the teeth so they point downards.

I'll try this but it seems the best way to deal with the mobs who pop out of the top of the box is just to leave the top open and extend the left wall of the kill box up 45 blocks, that way they pop out, up, left and then fall into demise anyhow. Opposite of elegant but does the job. Eventualy I'll fill in ALL empty surface like you did, hopefully that fixes the pop out problem.

5) You should add regular dart traps at either end of the spawn surfaces (you can connect them to the teleporter wires or to a separate red wire linked to a 1-second timer) to sweep across the surfaces to wake up any mimics that spawn there. 3 Dart Traps are enough for six surfaces.
Do you have an example on how to wire up only three dart traps for the six surfaces?

6) You'll need to guard against the mobs that cannot be teleported and that can fire or clip through walls. This includes mobs such as diggers, devourers, world feeders, shadow hammers, enchanted swords, floaty gross, crimson axes, and rune wizards. If you position yourself to the side instead of below the kill chamber, most of these mobs will end up getting killed in the kill chamber that they'll need to pass through. This still leaves the rune wizard as an issue on some of the spawn surfaces (it will spawn on the hallow and snow surfaces, unless it's different on PC and console). To guard against the wizard you can use the slime invulnerability trick by summoning a slime into the player chamber.

If I am to the side is there a safe method to collect the loot that is beyond reach?

By the way, what hardware and software do you use to shoot console videos? They are good quality videos.

I found a 3rd party website that utilizes Xbox Live's pubic user content allowing you to get embed codes for your screenshots and videos taken from the Xbox dashboard. Unfortunately Xbox Live does not directly support this function for some unknown reason. Did they forget about the advent of the internet?
http://xboxdvr.com/
Users do not need to sign up for an account. Anyone can post anybody else's content as it is all public. Think of it as a 3rd party kill board for a game that already has a kill board. They publish your data regardless of you using the site or not.

Back
Top Bottom