Items you think are overrated?

Yeah. I have to agree with that. Which is why I like to use the Laser Machinegun and Nebula armor whenever I decide to switch to a mage. With the max mana buff, you regenerate mana just enough to where it halts your mana, so you never run out, but you never really gain any. That and the fact the gun is pretty powerful and fun suits me just fine.
Kinda ironic, I remember playing when 1.3 barely came out, and I thought all the items from Martian Madness were absolutely useless except the cosmic car key. I've found their uses now, but before I didn't.

Another item I guess to throw out there is the gravity hook. I absolutely cannot find what's so great about it. People say for building, yet it pushes you so far away, you can't even build. Others said for mobility, but It's short range compared to the lunar hook really hurts it, and it's awkward movement makes it confusing to use. I've tried fighting while rotating in one space, but that doesn't really work out for me, either.
Yeah, I find Nebula Armor actually makes it so it's even better to use weapons like the Laser Machine Gun that get their main DPS from lots of fast hits without consuming much mana, as this produces the buff nebulas in even greater amounts. And I'd actually like to say that yeah, I think the LMG is actually an underrated weapon. I hardly see anyone use it, but it's really good for the reason you just described. The Charged Blaster Canon or whatever it was called is also pretty good. Kind of a precursor to the Last Prism, but it uses significantly less mana, and is kinda more versatile since there's three different projectiles it can produce, even though it doesn't come close to the LP in DPS.

As for the Gravity Hook, it's actually my favorite hook. But, I do understand what you mean about what's wrong with it. I get why other people don't like it, I just find it fun to use as it provides an odd pattern of mobility that you can't quite achieve with any other item, and it's silly to play with. It's undoubtedly one of those "Not for everyone" items. I like the way it works, but it's obviously got its downsides. One of those things where it's entirely up to the user whether it's good at all or not, because as many reasons as there are to use it, there's just as many if not more reasons not to use it. It's certainly not one of those things where it's like "You only hate it because you don't know how to use it right", because it's a weird item that has a lot of downsides and upsides.
Good for building and attacking at weird angles, traversing oddly shaped terrain, and dodging enemies within a small area.
Bad for getting up close, building with presicion, getting in a stable, fixed position, and many other things normal hooks are good for.

The martian madness event wasn't too bad when I tried it, I was actually able to just hide it my castle and use summons or other weapons to attack, and none of the enemies could reach me except for that rocket thing that spawned sometimes. It was still tedious, but still easier than that Christmas nightmare known as the frost moon.
I guess we just have different tastes. I absolutely hate sitting under blocks and not moving. That's why I like the Frost Moon better. I don't have to hide under blocks in fear of getting 1-shotted by a extremely near-unavoidable beam.

Anyways, one more item, because I'm not too sure about how strict things are about being a bit off-topic:
Golden Fishing Pole. There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just being biased with my Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole.

I guess we just have different tastes. I absolutely hate sitting under blocks and not moving. That's why I like the Frost Moon better. I don't have to hide under blocks in fear of getting 1-shotted by a extremely near-unavoidable beam.

Anyways, one more item, because I'm not too sure about how strict things are about being a bit off-topic:
Golden Fishing Pole. There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just being biased with my Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole.
Well, after getting some better equipment, I ended up fighting the UFO for real a few times, and it was still better than the frost moon. Mostly since there's no time limit and the UFO was guaranteed to drop something.

Well, after getting some better equipment, I ended up fighting the UFO for real a few times, and it was still better than the frost moon. Mostly since there's no time limit and the UFO was guaranteed to drop something.
I must be terrible at fighting flying saucers then. Probably the only thing I've died to since 1.3...
...Except Medusa's but I've heard you guys don't exactly like rants about that, not that I hate them either way.
But yeah, martians are the bane of my existence. I'll hug and kiss the Ice Queen instead of dealing with the martians any day.

Fossil armor, quite hard to get and has low defense stat. Also Meowmere, loud and sometimes very annoying.
Fossil armor? Thats only throwing armor. It cant be overrated.
But i agree with meowmere. Star wrath even has better dps.

Terra blade. I know it was nerfed in 1.3, but even in 1.2 it wasn't very good.
The Terra Blade is one of most powerful swords in game, even in 1.2 or 1.3, it has really good damage stats. I could make a crit value of 698 with Terra Blade, I know that isn't a good crit but also my accesories wasn't good at all. :) So now I'm trying to get best crit of Terra Blade, I think it can beat the Meowmere. :)

Shroomite armor. The set bonus to be exact; its useless in single player.
If you don't move, you die. If you move, you don't deal damage, and you will still probably die.
It should be really be more like "gain damage and range the more shots you fire in a short period of time" or "gain move speed / armor / whatever when dealing ranged damaged"

The armor itself is pretty cool, and I like the helmets giving buffs based on weapon type, but the set bonus is rubbish. Its only marginally useful during one of the events, and even then it falls apart when an enemy who can pass through blocks show up.

Also, it doesn't proc when you hold still while firing. You really have to do nothing, and potentially get hurt for it to work.

Why is everyone calling Meowmere the best sword? The Star Wrath actually deals more DPS, therefore it's the best sword.
The best sword isn't a meme - it's a highly requested upgrade from the absolutely most bestest loved a lot sword from the community.

Actually, while it may technically be true that the Star Wrath does more DPS than Meowmere, the Star Wrath is also almost completely outclassed by the Terrarian, with its only remaining niche that I've found (hitting the Moon Lord through blocks) being rare and marginal enough that it isn't really worth it. Meowmere, on the other hand, has its own separate uses from either the Star Wrath or the Terrarian, which would make it the best sword by virtue of being the only one not outclassed by something else.

On that note, my response to the topic is the Star Wrath. Terrarian is just better.

Also, the Ankh Shield, which it still baffles me that some people still use at endgame. It has some utility in early hardmode and mech tier, but if you're post-Plantera there is no reason you should still be using it.

.Phoenix Blaster- The minishark is a better pre-hardmode gun that can do more damage faster. Simple as that.

I think you've got that one backward. The Minishark has more base DPS, but does less in practice due to defense.

Also, the Ankh Shield, which it still baffles me that some people still use at endgame. It has some utility in early hardmode and mech tier, but if you're post-Plantera there is no reason you should still be using it.
Well... as mentioned before, a lot of people (myself included) simply don't like knockback, and would rather not have to deal with it.

Well... as mentioned before, a lot of people (myself included) simply don't like knockback, and would rather not have to deal with it.

Well I suppose that comes down to personal preference, but I've never found knockback annoying enough (let alone harmful) to make me want to waste an entire accessory slot on it, a slot that I could be using for more mobility or damage.

Besides, the Paladin's Shield outclasses the Ankh Shield completely if you're just going for knockback resist.

Well I suppose that comes down to personal preference, but I've never found knockback annoying enough (let alone harmful) to make me want to waste an entire accessory slot on it, a slot that I could be using for more mobility or damage.

Besides, the Paladin's Shield outclasses the Ankh Shield completely if you're just going for knockback resist.
For me, I can't imagine playing past the dungeon without a shield to prevent knockback. And as for the Paladin's shield, all it does outside of multiplayer is provide 2 more defense, while the Ankh Shield protects you from nearly a dozen debuffs. Sure, those debuffs individually aren't very common, and technically you could just swap in the shield for a moment to get rid of them, but it's just more convenient to have the shield on most the time. That what the Ankh shield is, a convenience.

No matter it's Ankh Shield or Paladin's Shield so many players don't like the knockback so they're worth to get. But, what is more important? Plus 2 defense of debuff protection? It's all about to what're you doing! When just running around and exploring it's better to use Ankh Shield and when fighting with bossese Paladin's Shield is the best. And finally, I think getting the best DPS is only usefull in Frost Moon and since most players just leave it about 12th wave, spending one accesory slot for knockback resist is so worth it. But I said, choosing the type of shield depends on the player's choose, someone can still want to use Obsidian Shield!

For me, I can't imagine playing past the dungeon without a shield to prevent knockback. And as for the Paladin's shield, all it does outside of multiplayer is provide 2 more defense, while the Ankh Shield protects you from nearly a dozen debuffs. Sure, those debuffs individually aren't very common, and technically you could just swap in the shield for a moment to get rid of them, but it's just more convenient to have the shield on most the time. That what the Ankh shield is, a convenience.

Only two of the debuffs blocked by the Ankh Shield are inflicted by any enemies beyond the hardmode dungeon, both of which are bosses summoned under very specific circumstances, and one of which only inflicts that debuff in expert mode. Everything else that inflicts debuffs it blocks shouldn't even be a blip on your radar by the time you're done with the hardmode dungeon. And that's even assuming you care about the debuffs it blocks in the first place, since out of them all the only one I've ever actually found worrisome is Broken Armor. All the others either do very little to you or can be easily avoided.

I can see why some people might find knockback annoying, but gameplay-wise it's very minor. The circumstances when immunity to knockback will mean the difference between life or death for you - once you've gotten something to mitigate fall damage - are very few and far between in Terraria. The only reason to worry about it at all is because it annoys you, but I can guarantee that if you just deal with it for a while, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. I unequipped Ankh Shields from all my characters a long time ago (independently, I might add; I just found better stuff to put on them over time), and I've never missed them since.

Only two of the debuffs blocked by the Ankh Shield are inflicted by any enemies beyond the hardmode dungeon, both of which are bosses summoned under very specific circumstances, and one of which only inflicts that debuff in expert mode. Everything else that inflicts debuffs it blocks shouldn't even be a blip on your radar by the time you're done with the hardmode dungeon. And that's even assuming you care about the debuffs it blocks in the first place, since out of them all the only one I've ever actually found worrisome is Broken Armor. All the others either do very little to you or can be easily avoided.

And the water in snow biome in expert.

And you may want to use if you re-visit the underworld or want to clear a meteor.

I think you've got that one backward. The Minishark has more base DPS, but does less in practice due to defense.

When using musket ball, the base DPS of Minishark is 97.5, while the Phoenix Blaster is 169.1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom