NPCs & Enemies Lovely Night

Darthkitten

Paladin
llSjdIG.png

"[Player Name] is headed down a foolish path..."

"An incomprehensible feeling overtakes you..."

"What a lovely night to die..."

The Lovely Night is an H.P. Lovecraft inspired optional event that takes place after the defeat of the Moon Lord. It is not, however, designed to provide a tier above Moon Lord, but rather to provide an additional challenge for players after they obtain their oh-so-wonderful Meowmares and Last Prisms. Or, at the very least, it gives them more top tier items to choose from, to increase the variety of viable sets.

Similar to the Frost and Pumpkin moons, The Lovely Night takes place over the course of one night, and consists of several waves of enemies, each wave harder than the last.

Invoking a Lovely Night

Causing a Lovely Night to occur is not something that simply happens by accident. One must call out to the cosmic mind-bending horrors by choice. To do so, you must first obtain a Necronomicon.
In order to obtain one, you must simply be carrying a Spell tome in your inventory when you defeat the Moon Lord.

uwS8yEQ.png

Necronomicon

Creates a short pulse of evil energy to appear directly in front of the player.
Damage: 40
Speed: 37 (Very Slow)
Mana Cost: 30

A lousy weapon, to be sure, but killing an enemy with this book will cause it to drop an Eldritch Tendril, five of which can be used at an Ancient Manipulator to create an Eldritch Mass.

1AFkDvd.png

Eldritch Tendril
Crafting Item.

95fmYRH.png

Eldritch Mass

Invokes a Lovely Night.

Using an Eldritch Mass will consume it, starting the countdown. The next time night falls, a message will appear and the night will be plagued with unspeakable horrors. Enjoy!

Horrors of the Night

Cultists

auO1Qbz.png

Worshipers that took their devotion one step too far.

Bloody Cultist:
Deals heavy Melee damage.
Life: 900
Damage: 135
Defense: 36
Defense (Melee): 70

Deep Cultist:
Shoots a stream of acid similar to an Ichor Sticker.
Damage: 95
Defense (Magic): 70

Deformed Cultist:
Fires several projectiles in quick succession.
Damage: 70
Defense (Ranged): 70

Vile Globe

T202f4c.png

A formless piece of a much greater being.

Can pass through walls. Attacks through contact. A little on the slow side.
Life: 2,000
Damage: 100
Defense: 42

Shambling Maw

23sLiLv.png

Despite lacking wings, this grotesque hunter flies through the air with ease.

Attacks through contact. Quite fast.
Life: 1,500
Damage: 110
Defense: 37

Shoggoth

81iwTro.png

A living, ever-changing violent blob of organic matter.

Uses the slime AI to move. Upon landing down, pieces of itself will arc into the air, serving as projectiles.

Life: 3,500
Damage: 160
Projectile Damage: 100
Defense: 50

Dark Young

awwRknz.png

These monsters are formed of gnarled, rope-like tentacles similar to that of a withered, twisted oak.

Is capable of walking across terrain, jumping, and firing a volley of magical, green projectiles into the air.

Life: 5,000
Damage: 110
Projectile Damage: 60
Defense: 42

Dhole

TmukPqG.png

Burrowing nightmares that leave entire planets as lifeless husks.

Note: The image doesn't properly represent a Dhole. Actual Dholes are approximately 5 times the length.
Uses the worm AI.

Life: 3,500
Damage: 70

Hastur

oh0LzGK.png

A cloaked figure that pierces victim's skulls and drains their brains through it's hollow tentacles.

The weaker of the two bosses. Hastur will start off by disguising himself as a cultist. Killing this Cultist will cause Hastur to Awaken.

Life: 60,000
Contact Damage: 70

Hastur will start off the fight by putting one of three shields up. The shields are blue, red and green, and block melee damage, magic damage and ranged damage respectively. He will occasionally switch shields, about once every minute or so.

Hastur attacks by ramming the player EoC style, launching a volley of heat-seeking projectiles, or by summoning portals.
These portals are summoned relatively close to the player, and will shoot out a spearlike tentacle towards the player shortly after. They will then despawn.

Once Hastur reaches 15,000 life, he will enter his second form. During this phase he will switch shields much more rapidly, and all of his attacks have an increased rate of fire.

Nyarlathotep

cGA33hM.png

The Crawling Chaos, this dreaded, god-like being finds amusement in bringing down humanity in cruel and manipulative ways.

The tougher of the two bosses, Nyarlathotep will attack in cruel and unusual ways.

Life: 90,000
Defense: 70

Nyarlathotep will deal damage on contact, but it won't ram you like Hastur. Instead, it may try and hit you with it's claws instead.

Nyarlathotep is also capable of calling down blood-red meteors from the sky, firing a Moon Lord-esque laser from it's chest, or firing a slow-moving projectile that follows you.
In addition, once it's health is brought down to half, it will occasionally turn itself entirely invisible, apart from the glowing yellow eye on it's chest.

Insanity

All of the creatures listed above, save for the cultists, have a chance to inflict a very special status effect. This effect stacks, and it will not be protected against by an Ankh Charm or Shield.

OxHfgmN.png

Each time insanity is inflicted, it raises the overall status by one stage, up to a maximum of five. With each stage different things may occur, and the frequency of things occurring rises. None of them have any effect statistically, but they may severely hamper your gameplay, particularly if you've never experienced them before.

Stage 1 Effects:
False Trees - Non-existent trees will appear on your screen.
Awful Sounds - You will sometimes hear sounds of monsters that are not currently present.
False Status Effects - You will appear to have a random status effect on you, aside from insanity.

Stage 2 Effects:
False Items - Money and drops will appear on the ground, but they cannot be collected and will shorty fade.
Screen Tilt- The screen will sloooowly tilt to one side.
Hue Shift - The light will shift to a different hue. Usually red or green.

Stage 3 Effects:
False opponents - Enemies will appear that don't actually exist.
False Insanity - On rare occasions, your insanity will appear to be at a different level.
Missing blocks - Blocks will appear to be missing, but they still exist.

Stage 4 Effects:
Low HP - Your HP will be displayed lower than what it actually is.
Low Mana - Your Mana will be displayed lower than what it actually is.
I'm a Monster - Your character appears to be a deformed cultist.

Stage 5 Effects:
False Death - The words "You were slain" will appear on your screen, and the death explosion sound will take place. You will, however, retain full control of your character.
High HP - Your HP will be displayed HIGHER than what it actually is.
Control invert - Your controls will be reversed.
Wild Ride - The screen slowly makes a full rotation.

All of these stages will go down with time. It takes approximately one minute to go down a stage.

You're not the only one who suffers insanity, however. Your NPC's will unfortunately fall victim to the night's maddening air, and will go completely crazy, making you unable to interact with them. At least, on a practical level. Any attempt to speak with them will get you nowhere.

Guide
"Y'know... I leave the doors open on purpose. That's right. It was allll mee!"
"Can't a guy get some privacy? Hmmm, hm hmm..."
"What's that on your face? Oh that's right. You don't have a face."

Merchant
"Hey, kid... You wanna buy an ear?"
"With prices like these, I must be mad!"
"You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret... All the best people are..."

Nurse
"Here, deer teeth! For you!"
"Have you seen my spoon? I have some eyeballs to fix."
"What's up, doc? Hehehehehe..."

Demolitionist
"You know... That pudding would make a good wife."
"Destroy! Destroy! Destroy! Let's destroy everything!"
"I have twelve mugs now. That's four more than yesterday."

Dye Trader
"Let's talk flumpets. I'll trade you three flesh ones for your Pulsateor."
"Have you seen the sky flask? Gazed upon it as the blood churns within?"
"What? No I don't have a face under my turban! W-what makes you say that!?"

Dryad

"You are under arrest for chopping down trees with herring! I sentence you to death!"
"My watch has stopped. Now I'm gonna have to cook it!"
"I can't tell you how long I've stared at this wall for. Guess. Go on, guess!"

Arms Dealer

"None of my guns seem to be working. They all went on strike."
"I want what [Name of Guide] is sellin'. What do you mean, they don't sell anything?"
"Ah, Ma Belle Pêche... There's no need to tremble like that..."

Stylist

"Do you have any idea how valuable my arms are?"
"Sometimes... When people don't expect it... I shave all their hair off..."
"Your beard is upside down. You might want to take a look at that."

Painter

"At age six I was born without a face."
"I tried painting a landscape once. I didn't bring nearly enough paint to cover everything."
"My keyboard is broken."

Angler

"I'mma gonna need you to bring me a red herring. Not the fish of course, but the idiom."
"Now do you see?! Now do you understand the sadness I bear now that I'm Godlike?"
"Why do none of you have mouths?!"

Goblin Tinkerer

"I don't know how to deal with this..."
"If I die, tell my Rocket Boots I love her..."
"Two plus two equals fish. How crazy is that?"

Witch Doctor

"Programas de tradución son moitas veces imprecisas."
"Please insert goulash."
"Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!"

Clothier
"Have the lambs stopped screaming?"
"Now where am I going to get a new flumpet?"
"How many have you sacrificed? The spiders cannot even begin to describe."

Party Girl

"Can't we all just get along? There's plenty of ash to go around!"
"One cannot simply live on the roots of others alone."
"A half moon. A bright half and a dark half. Just like me."

Truffle

"Oh no! Everyone is going crazy and there are horrible monsters everywhere! What a disaster!"
"Sometimes my skin comes off in little flakes, like snow on a cold winter's night."
"Mmph, Mmph!"

Tax Collector

"Fear the Old Blood! Fear it I say! It's scary as all hell!"
"Kids these days and their flumpets. Back in my day, we ate our marrow pustules and liked it!"
"I can see from the eyes of the elder ones... They tell me that's rude."

Santa Claus

"Good kids get presents! Bad kids get fire!"
"Ever try reindeer? Tastes just like chicken!"
"Sometimes I nibble on the ornaments. I bleed, but it's a GOOD kind of bleed."

Drops

frR7BON.png

God Maw

Dropped By: Nyarlathotep
Damage: 100-350
Use time: Minimum of 14
Can be charged in order to increase velocity, distance, power and eyeball orbit.
Weapon type: Boomerang

KEY11kM.png

Elder Gun
Damage: 500
Use time: 40
Causes an explosion dealing 100 damage on impact, and a lasting trail that deals 70 damage.
Weapon type: Sniper rifle

nHR6254.png

Primordial Flute
Mana Cost: 5
Use time: 10
Creates otherworldly runes that orbit the player, dealing damage and absorbing incoming projectiles.
Weapon Type: Magic

k4AHngz.png

Boundless Broach
Dropped By: Hastur
Trinket
Equip: Limits insanity to stage 1.

LUU6v6G.png

Starblood Whip
Dropped By: Dark Young
Reach: 20 tiles
Velocity: 13
Hooks: 1
Latching type: Single
Can latch onto nothing.

e6pWCvD.png
YOj4VIk.png

Shoggoth Juice
Dropped By: Shoggoth
Summons a pet Gothling.

RKQ3pta.png

Nighthunter Garb
Dropped By: Dhole
Vanity Set

WZQsheH.png
UmuNtmN.png

Hastur Trophy
Dropped By: Hastur
For hanging on your wall.

E53f4yD.png
cTno1hC.png

Nyarlathotep Trophy
For hanging on your wall.

Well, that's it for now. But stay tuned! I've got more stuff on the way, including item drops, banners, and more NPC dialogue!

I hope you've enjoyed! If you have any comments, just leave them below!

YUS7wTI.png

Szoggoth

Last edited:
I really like the idea. The sprites are cool too. I think there should be more H.P. Lovecraft references in Terraria, so I support.

What the hell? Those things look freaky.

Under normal circumstances I'm skeptical of any post moon lord content but this is awesome.

That's actually an interesting reason for your NPC's to be unusable.

Edit: now that I thought about it this would be fitting.

Last edited:
Wow, this is awesome. Perhaps the Dark Young Would spawn invisible and only show up at 3/4 of it's health? Also, holy moly so many references. Looney Tunes, Jontron, Alice in Wonderland, and that's just the ones I caught on my first time reading it.

I support this just for the goosebumps refference in the guide's dialogue.

This is a really well made suggestion, plus every enemy seems interesting and it serves its objective of being a post-moon lord challenge. The only thing is that I think the insanity effects are just a little bit over the top, but as I said earlier this is supposed to be a challenge so there would be no problem with them.

Under normal circumstances I'm skeptical of any post moon lord content but this is awesome.

Yup, that's one of the rules, isn't it? Or, well, the rule WAS not to go past Plantera, but that's changed by now.
Well, even though you're okay with it, let me explain my reasoning on this one. In my opinion, Terraria is already chock-full of content as it is. Adding another boss, or biome or whatever in the middle of the game just seems like it would make the world crowded. I figured the place that needed more content was actually AFTER the boss battle as a result. At that point, everything that's not the Moon Lord or Expert Mode is a cakewalk, so you never really get to USE the new gear you've obtained. So that's why I went with this somewhat controversial suggestion.

I support this just for the goosebumps refference in the guide's dialogue.

This is a really well made suggestion, plus every enemy seems interesting and it serves its objective of being a post-moon lord challenge. The only thing is that I think the insanity effects are just a little bit over the top, but as I said earlier this is supposed to be a challenge so there would be no problem with them.
Over the top? How so? Could you elaborate a little?

Over the top? How so? Could you elaborate a little?

I mean over the top in the way that there are lots of stuff going on in the game and, while it would not make the game extremely hard, it would make it difficult to pay attention to everything and process it. It's not really a problem for the suggestion, but more of a personal issue.

I mean over the top in the way that there are lots of stuff going on in the game and, while it would not make the game extremely hard, it would make it difficult to pay attention to everything and process it. It's not really a problem for the suggestion, but more of a personal issue.
Oh, well, that's kinda the point, yeah. The insanity effects don't come into play all the time though, only every once in a while. It depends on the effect in question, but I'd say maybe once every minute on average? Maybe twice a minute if you're on level 5.

Huh. A cthulhu-based idea that actually works thematically.

I like this. Not much I can really nitpick over here (especially since I'm absolutely not bothering to go check balance of stats)- but Hastur spawning cultists should have some indication that they will, indeed, spawn Hastur. Otherwise nobody'll actually notice that's what's happening.

WHY WAS I NOT TAGGED IN THIS.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
On another note, this looks awesome owo I am loving the name and the quote in the start of the night~~

I think I found one thing to change.
uwS8yEQ.png

Necronomicon

Creates a short pulse of evil energy to appear directly in front of the player.
Damage: 5
Speed: 37 (Very Slow)
Mana Cost: 30
How about making the damage more like post mech in power? It'll still be weak as a weapon (relatively speaking) but it'll kill things other than blue slimes to get the summoning item.

Other than that one tiny detail I have no complaints. Really well done though.

I think I found one thing to change.

How about making the damage more like post mech in power? It'll still be weak as a weapon (relatively speaking) but it'll kill things other than blue slimes to get the summoning item.

Other than that one tiny detail I have no complaints. Really well done though.

Surewhynot.

Necronomicon boosted to 40 damage!
Added a whole bunch of NPC dialogue as well!

I got an idea for something that the Cyborg could say during this:

"A fatal exception E0 has occurred at (Player's Current XY-location) in (World Name). The current applicant will be terminated.
Press any key to terminate the applicant...
Press any key to continue..."

Back
Top Bottom