Why Terraria should be the new Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro Superstar

Terrarian
So a while ago, Mojang was bought by Microsoft, and chances are (not saying it will) it may be abandoned in the future, so therefore the sandbox crown is waiting for its potential new owner.

My point is, I wanted to ask how much stuff is in each game so I can collectively create a chart with the help from the community (and possibly from the mods too).

Types include (# of):
Blocks
Tools (Including Weapons)
Armor Sets
Potions
Enemies
Friendly/Passive Mobs
Biomes
Bosses

Please don't include items that must be hacked to be obtained/placed, and remember: 3D isn't always a selling point! Thanks for your contributions! You will be credited.

So a while ago, Mojang was bought by Microsoft, and chances are (not saying it will) it may be abandoned in the future, so therefore the sandbox crown is waiting for its potential new owner.

My point is, I wanted to ask how much stuff is in each game so I can collectively create a chart with the help from the community (and possibly from the mods too).

Types include (# of):
Blocks
Tools (Including Weapons)
Armor Sets
Potions
Enemies
Friendly/Passive Mobs
Biomes
Bosses

Please don't include items that must be hacked to be obtained/placed, and remember: 3D isn't always a selling point! Thanks for your contributions! You will be credited.
what exactly are you asking about? The number of that stuff?

I always roll my eyes when people try to compare Terraria and Minecraft in terms of which is better. The cold, hard truth of the matter that people fail to notice is that they are radically different games. It's practically criminal to try and compare them based on similarities.

It would be like trying to say StarCraft 2 is better than Fire Emblem: Awakening. Yes, they're both STRATEGY games, but I think anyone who's played the two would know better than to try comparing them so rashly.

Minecraft is an open-world EXPLORATION game. It is NOT an adventure in any sense of the word. Combat is only necessary wherein the monsters drop certain materials you can't obtain anywhere else. There's nothing all that amazing about it. There's no fantastic magic spells, there's no accessories to grant you passive bonuses, there's no special abilities.

Compare to Terraria where the only monsters you really HAVE to battle most of the time are the bosses. Only they drop the super special loot you might want or need. But you'd also happily slaughter the minions that wander around the map because it's FUN. The game almost entirely revolves around it's action with boss-fights and gear aplenty.

Now, that said, I love both games... but Terraria can never take MineCraft's "crown". First of all, it's not even in the same category of games to qualify. But secondly, Terraria is a game that ultimately falls short.

And I hear what you're saying. "DJ StupidFace, only people who DON'T LIKE Terraria stop playing after they get everything!", and that's dumb. Don't say that. You know better.

The fact of the matter is half of everyone here is only playing again because of all the hype built up about 1.3. Terraria REQUIRES updates to keep itself fresh and exciting. Otherwise people would treat it like any console title and leave it on the shelf to collect dust for years, only to revisit it now and again for the sake of nostalgia.

Minecraft, on the other hand, is a game with no real stated goal. Yes, there's an "ending" where you can go beat up the Ender Dragon and find an end credits, but there's hardly any real motivation to do it. What makes MineCraft such an excellent game despite the lack of action can be summed up in one word.

Legos.

Anyone who ever had legos as a kid and played with them as extensively as I (and very well some of you) absolutely adores MineCraft. It's a game about legos! You build whatever you want and you mess around with all the different kinds of blocks that do different things! It's a challenge to your creative side and any creative is going to accept that challenge so hard their creativity turns into a DIAMOND.

Terraria is decidedly NOT Legos. It does not challenge or encourage your creative side quite as much. It's by no means a worse game, it's just such a radically DIFFERENT kind of game, and I'd like to see people stop arguing about which one is better.

It's like arguing about whether potato chips are better than cookies. There's no real winner, there.

Ah, the usual "master race" mentality. These threads never end well, and for a very obvious reason.

Also, "create a comprehensive list blah blah blah blah blah"? Oh, I'm sure nobody ever thought about doing that!

I'll have to disagree with @DJFlare84, who complains about those who only see one side of the story while... Only seeing one side of the story. //Oh the Chlorophythy!

Of the ~600 hours I spent playing Terraria, about four hundred of them (give or take a hundred) were spent just building or fooling around with no given goal in mind. If you choose to treat Terraria like a game that ends when you're done beating all the somewhat challenging bosses and events, then that's your problem... Some of us actually like building better in Terraria than in Minecraft, a game where you can see what the hell you're doing most of the time and thus is much easier to use as a building game.

I always roll my eyes when people try to compare Terraria and Minecraft in terms of which is better. The cold, hard truth of the matter that people fail to notice is that they are radically different games. It's practically criminal to try and compare them based on similarities.

It would be like trying to say StarCraft 2 is better than Fire Emblem: Awakening. Yes, they're both STRATEGY games, but I think anyone who's played the two would know better than to try comparing them so rashly.

Minecraft is an open-world EXPLORATION game. It is NOT an adventure in any sense of the word. Combat is only necessary wherein the monsters drop certain materials you can't obtain anywhere else. There's nothing all that amazing about it. There's no fantastic magic spells, there's no accessories to grant you passive bonuses, there's no special abilities.

Compare to Terraria where the only monsters you really HAVE to battle most of the time are the bosses. Only they drop the super special loot you might want or need. But you'd also happily slaughter the minions that wander around the map because it's FUN. The game almost entirely revolves around it's action with boss-fights and gear aplenty.

Now, that said, I love both games... but Terraria can never take MineCraft's "crown". First of all, it's not even in the same category of games to qualify. But secondly, Terraria is a game that ultimately falls short.

And I hear what you're saying. "DJ StupidFace, only people who DON'T LIKE Terraria stop playing after they get everything!", and that's dumb. Don't say that. You know better.

The fact of the matter is half of everyone here is only playing again because of all the hype built up about 1.3. Terraria REQUIRES updates to keep itself fresh and exciting. Otherwise people would treat it like any console title and leave it on the shelf to collect dust for years, only to revisit it now and again for the sake of nostalgia.

Minecraft, on the other hand, is a game with no real stated goal. Yes, there's an "ending" where you can go beat up the Ender Dragon and find an end credits, but there's hardly any real motivation to do it. What makes MineCraft such an excellent game despite the lack of action can be summed up in one word.

Legos.

Anyone who ever had legos as a kid and played with them as extensively as I (and very well some of you) absolutely adores MineCraft. It's a game about legos! You build whatever you want and you mess around with all the different kinds of blocks that do different things! It's a challenge to your creative side and any creative is going to accept that challenge so hard their creativity turns into a DIAMOND.

Terraria is decidedly NOT Legos. It does not challenge or encourage your creative side quite as much. It's by no means a worse game, it's just such a radically DIFFERENT kind of game, and I'd like to see people stop arguing about which one is better.

It's like arguing about whether potato chips are better than cookies. There's no real winner, there.
I have never thought about it like this, thank you for enlightening me on this subject. By the way, i grew up with Legos, but i like Terraria more than Minecraft

Why do you think minecraft is going to be abandoned? Why would Microsoft do that, they paid 2.5 Billion dollars for it!

Well, they must have paid a :red:load of cash to develop Windows 8, too, and abandoned it rather fast. 2.5 billion dollars is pocket change for those guys.

I have never thought about it like this, thank you for enlightening me on this subject. By the way, i grew up with Legos, but i like Terraria more than Minecraft
No problem. Not EVERYONE who grew up with legos is gonna like Minecraft more, of course, but a good majority of us do.

Personally, I like 'em both equally. I have an action side that needs feeding.

Last edited:
No problem. Not EVERYONE who grew up with legos is gonna like Minecraft more, of course, but a good majority of us do.

Personally, I like 'em both equally. I have an action side that needs feeding.

Also, Cookies are way better than potato chips. I can compare them because they are both foods and that is all that matters : )

Why do you think minecraft is going to be abandoned? Why would Microsoft do that, they paid 2.5 Billion dollars for it!
No way will it be abandoned, but I seriously doubt after 2 updates it will no longer have the same feel. You heard it here first!

I like both, game, I play both games, both games are good.[DOUBLEPOST=1414096208][/DOUBLEPOST]
No they paid 2.5 billion dollars for Mojang, not minecraft.

I'll have to disagree with @DJFlare84, who complains about those who only see one side of the story while... Only seeing one side of the story. //Oh the Chlorophythy!
And you're welcome to do so.

Although personally I'm not complaining about anything. I'm not sure why you had to say it like that...

Of the ~600 hours I spent playing Terraria, about four hundred of them (give or take a hundred) were spent just building or fooling around with no given goal in mind. If you choose to treat Terraria like a game that ends when you're done beating all the somewhat challenging bosses and events, then that's your problem... Some of us actually like building better in Terraria than in Minecraft, a game where you can see what the hell you're doing most of the time and thus is much easier to use as a building game.

I do enjoy building in Terraria as well, although not quite as much as MineCraft.

In fact, all I'm doing right now while I wait for the 1.3 update is pretty much experimenting with building nice-looking houses on my old server map. Boreal Wood is pretty lovely stuff.

But I said CREATIVE side, not Artistic. There's a difference.

MineCraft allows for far more complex and ingenious contraptions with it's redstone dust circuitry and various mechanism blocks. You can literally build a working calculator or a video game INSIDE MineCraft. Plus, the 3D works to it's advantage by giving you additional layers of building space to work with. In comparison, Terraria's workspace is... slightly more limited. Yes, you can see everything going on in your world, but the lack of vision is not a point AGAINST MineCraft, it's more a point against you if you give up entirely because of it...

Anyway, Terraria tends to get old in the building department because there's so little to actually do. You can make a nice house, you can make some pixel art, yes. But you can kinda also do that in MineCraft and THEN some.

You can build a trap in Terraria, yes. But you can build a better one in MineCraft. And once again, the 3D works to it's advantage.

About the only thing Terraria does better in terms of it's wiring is the actual wiring. Redstone dust can be a pain to try and get everything running the way you want it. You really have to abuse those extra dimensions, but in the end, MineCraft just has a greater variety of far more interesting mechanisms.

If you're not into that stuff, then by all means, stay with Terraria. I'm not trying to tell you MineCraft is better. I AM trying to tell you it's better for building stuff, though. You're welcome to disagree, of course, just know that you disagree with no chance of swaying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom