Map-Adventure A Terraria Adventure Map : Echoes of the Lost World

BUG: in the weird black white area. the puzzle with big time blocks doesnt work. its stuck. also what are with those one block tunnels?

I am guessing that I understood the hint system incorrectly.

From what I have been assuming based on the description of the hint system, if a ? block is faded out, it means that I have the items I need to solve the puzzle, and that a faded block looks like the block in the second picture. Since I have seen only 2 different appearances for the ? block, I was assuming that it being hollow means that it was faded.

Is this incorrect? And if so, how does it actually work?

I am guessing that I understood the hint system incorrectly.

From what I have been assuming based on the description of the hint system, if a ? block is faded out, it means that I have the items I need to solve the puzzle, and that a faded block looks like the block in the second picture. Since I have seen only 2 different appearances for the ? block, I was assuming that it being hollow means that it was faded.

Is this incorrect? And if so, how does it actually work?
Once you complete the puzzle the question is linked to and acquire the key item, the puzzle block will fade out.

I'm confused, where do you go after you get the sapphire staff?
EDIT: Nvm, figured it out. :P

Last edited:
I only have 3 "?" blocks left on the map currently. I was only able to start on one of them, and I am stuck:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198045441848/screenshot/305486229875833366

How am I supposed to break this?

EDIT: I got passed this and am now in the "trippy" area. I think I broke a mandatory puzzle by flipping a lever too many times and I can't progress. I may have to cheat.

EDIT 2: I cheated with TEdit to get past that one broken puzzle.

Last edited:
Well that was a disappointment. I spawned Plantera for the first time, and the boss immediately despawned. Also the switch doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: Reloading the world seemed to have fixed the switch somehow. Also, Plantera actually stayed around for the second spawn. It was surprisingly easy in Crimson Armor. I never went below half health. I had more troubles with the Brain. The Eater was pathetic. I couldn't die even if I tried, since direct head damage was almost immediately restored in seconds.

Fun map, but frustrating at points and has some annoying bugs. Also this map isn't as well structured as your last map. It sends you running all over the place for the entire playthrough.

Last edited:
So I found a small bug in this map.

4FBB6C9DC7C1382E87F4A5F44B7C0B1FA1129E71

Must be a tiny microscopic gap in the background blocks or something, but as you can see, a slime spawned in this room and hit the switch, allowing access to this chest without whatever item you were supposed to have used (magic missile?) to move that boulder.

EDIT: A bit of feedback, if I may... the maps (this and the LoZ one) are both well-done, though I think I've already expressed my opinions about the incredibly small margin of error on the claw jumps (I noticed you gave us tiger climbing gear this time!), but I'd like to make a suggestion:

Could you pretty please put a pair of hand warmers at the beginning of the section having to do with the Ice Biome in future maps if you do any more? Having to constantly wait out the chilled debuff before attempting jumping puzzles isn't particularly fun, especially when the weapon you start with (and the only weapon you'll be using for the better part of an hour) has pretty much zero AoE capabilities which means you Will be getting hit when you get mobbed with 3-5+ enemies at a time in some rooms.

I seem to be stuck.. I might just be being dumb on mechanics, but I can't seem to do anything else to get anywhere. I need a Boomerang, Waterbolt, Vilethorn, Lava charm or double jump to do anything else.

Any tips to get me going on the right track again would be appreciated.

I seem to be stuck.. I might just be being dumb on mechanics, but I can't seem to do anything else to get anywhere. I need a Boomerang, Waterbolt, Vilethorn, Lava charm or double jump to do anything else.

Any tips to get me going on the right track again would be appreciated.

Crimson Area, Black Question Mark on the Bottom-Left. You should be able to Tiger Claw up to the switch on that pillar and go through, it should take you to the BoC Boss, and IIRC, you get a weapon there (Boomerang IIRC). I'd love to know how you got the Celestial Stone without the Harpoon, though, lol.

Crimson Area, Black Question Mark on the Bottom-Left. You should be able to Tiger Claw up to the switch on that pillar and go through, it should take you to the BoC Boss, and IIRC, you get a weapon there (Boomerang IIRC). I'd love to know how you got the Celestial Stone without the Harpoon, though, lol.

I hit that switch, all it did was open a small 1 wide hole that didn't seem to allow me to do anything.

EDIT, I got the celestial stone with the chain knife I think (maybe it was the meatball), it reached far enough. forget which chest it was, I got it super early, was my like 3rd or 4th

Last edited:
I hit that switch, all it did was open a small 1 wide hole that didn't seem to allow me to do anything.

Oh, right, you need to use an item to get through there... blah... I wish I could remember what. Looking at that image again, looks like you need the Harpoon... I wish I could remember where exactly the Harpoon was.

Unfortunately that's kinda how Metroidvania works. Lots of freedom to explore early on, showing you what it has to offer, but quickly starts restricting where you can go. It's supposed to serve as an incentive to explore, but it can be frustrating at times. I haven't played this map myself yet, but as a huge fan of Metroid games I plan on it.

One thing that would have really helped in this map (I will write my own review of it here shortly), is that if they had recycled the idea that you found in the LoZ map that came before this one: Placing some sort of hint/sign/pixel art depicting what item is needed for major puzzles (not every puzzle, mind you). Also, it'd been real nice if there were pixel arts or if the chest were named after the item it contained so you could remember where you got what.

Now, onto the review for the map makers and others:

First off, I would thank you for not making the climbing gear jumps as ridiculous as they were in the LoZ Map. There were still a few I had to cheat on (the one in Underworld Part 2 with the 5-6 disappearing vertical walls on 1s timers) and a couple rooms in the black "galaxy" area were a tad ridiculous, especially the heart chest in there. For some reason, I could never really get tabi dashes to work very well in mid-air (they're fine if you dash off of a standing platform, like the 2nd teleporter to the underworld).

The meteor head part was just frustrating. Seriously, guys, there is nothing fun about being harassed by enemies every 3 seconds when you're trying to focus on, say, precision jumping. That has always been my pet peeve in games, being constantly bothered by enemies when you're trying to do something. I know you guys enjoyed the phazon look and that's cool and all, but did we really need all the parkour in the same room as the meteor heads? It might not have been too bad, if the weapon selection and armor selection might have been a little better, though.

The black galaxy area looked cool, but after a few minutes it started giving me a headache because it was rather hard on the eyes (the negative painted area did something similar). It looks cool at first, but to actually try and figure out where you are, what you're doing and trying to distinguish features of the terrain, it just gave me headaches after awhile. Also, the negative painted area with all of the furniture, pictures, etc actually lagged my computer a bit with some FPS drops, but it wasn't too bad. Kinda pity the people with older computers, though lol.

If I were to offer suggestions, it would be these:

1). Perhaps make the cobalt shield available a little earlier in the game. Constant Mob Spawns + Parkour + Knockback = Frustration.
2). If you're going to do ice areas with parkour, and jumps... give us hand warmers. Seriously. Waiting for 10-15 second chilled debuffs (only to get it re-applied sometimes!) blows.
3). Some kind of armor available earlier. The LoZ map at least gave you iron armor right near the beginning. I had to wait nearly 2 hours into the map to get a suit of cobalt, even though at the time I had almost no magic weapons when I completed the set, so I was thinking "...wut?". Then, once you get cobalt, you start collecting pieces of Shadow which has pretty much the same defense, and you're wondering why you'd trade huge magic damage/mana capacity for a little movement speed (since, by then, you should have Water Bolt), and the Crimson Armor takes almost until the end of the game to collect the whole suit of it. And then, to top all that off, silver armor is found in the dungeon, and by then, the cobalt you're wearing is better in every way. Something just seems a bit off about that. IMO, you should have replaced Silver with Necro (keeping with the dungeon theme). Necro would have been nice for the final battle, since you appear to be expected to use the Pulse Bow anyways.
4). If there was one, I must have missed it, but could you give us a Magic/Ice Mirror? Pretty please? Having to Save&Exit every time you want a quick warp back to your ship is annoying.

I'm actually very surprised people disliked the Meteor-mushroom area. I love it. It's one of my favorite areas from any game in recent memory. Having to fend off constant attacks while trying to make those jumps was so much fun. If the jumps were more difficult I could see it being rather annoying, but I think it's great as-is. Kept you on your toes. I didn't think it was particularly difficult (I died once) surprisingly, since I have very little experience with the parkour aspect of Terraria.
My least favorite part was the second part of Hell. Those jumps took me a very long time to pull off. I was recording it and had to edit out around 40 minutes there, heh. Yes, the actuating-walls and the stalactite jumps took me over 40 minutes to pass...maybe that was just when I was playing that part (3:30am or so) but it was by far the most difficult part of the entire map for me.

I'm actually very surprised people disliked the Meteor-mushroom area. I love it. It's one of my favorite areas from any game in recent memory. Having to fend off constant attacks while trying to make those jumps was so much fun. If the jumps were more difficult I could see it being rather annoying, but I think it's great as-is. Kept you on your toes. I didn't think it was particularly difficult (I died once) surprisingly, since I have very little experience with the parkour aspect of Terraria.
My least favorite part was the second part of Hell. Those jumps took me a very long time to pull off. I was recording it and had to edit out around 40 minutes there, heh. Yes, the actuating-walls and the stalactite jumps took me over 40 minutes to pass...maybe that was just when I was playing that part (3:30am or so) but it was by far the most difficult part of the entire map for me.

Constant harassment by mobs is a love-hate kinda thing. Some people love it, other people absolutely hate it. I tend to fall in the latter category. Constant random encounters in J-RPGs annoy me too, especially in complex mazes when I'm trying to remember where I've been and where I haven't, and constant enemy encounters make it hard to remember. I remember Breath of Fire 1 being lousy in the witch's tower where every 3 steps triggered a battle in that place and it got old, fast. Same concept applies here. Waiting for 20, 30 seconds killing mobs (especially when you can't use the money or the meteorites) trying to find an opportunity to make the next jump is annoying, and some of those mushrooms were small enough that you could get knocked off if one came up through the floor and touched you, either killing you or forcing you to re-do several jumps which was even more aggravating.

Constant harassment by mobs is a love-hate kinda thing. Some people love it, other people absolutely hate it. I tend to fall in the latter category. Constant random encounters in J-RPGs annoy me too, especially in complex mazes when I'm trying to remember where I've been and where I haven't, and constant enemy encounters make it hard to remember. I remember Breath of Fire 1 being lousy in the witch's tower where every 3 steps triggered a battle in that place and it got old, fast. Same concept applies here. Waiting for 20, 30 seconds killing mobs (especially when you can't use the money or the meteorites) trying to find an opportunity to make the next jump is annoying, and some of those mushrooms were small enough that you could get knocked off if one came up through the floor and touched you, either killing you or forcing you to re-do several jumps which was even more aggravating.

Oh yeah...Phantasy Star II was my first JRPG. I struggled through that entire game over the course of a few months haha. The encounter rate is just so completely maddening. I remember coming home from school for the third day in a row still grinding on enemies outside of the first town so I could make the trek to the second town, lol.
I HATE getting harassed by mobs in Terraria, but for some reason it just felt right in that area. My opinion would definitely be different if I had a hard time there, but I blew through it pretty quickly. As soon as I saw the first meteor heads, I knew that I had to keep moving fast.
The only area that bothered me was the aforementioned right side of Hell. I felt the jumping puzzles there were much more difficult than anything else in the game and really jumped out of nowhere. But, again, someone with more experience with Terraria parkour probably blew right through those jumps.

We don't really like giving cobalt shield for the player in general. Here we did it partly just due to it combining with the obsidian skull.
I agree we should give handwarmers for the player tho. The thing with the armor is more subjective, it's not really that necessary, but I guess we should have given some early options for players. We had necro armor in dungeon at first, but mbran139 started complaining that it's too easy to get for what is the best armor against the last boss (due to the weapon we give at the end) which kinda ruins the idea of any other armor, so we ended up replacing it with silver as a "if you don't have any other armor, at least have this...". We also had a magic mirror at first, but we like to design areas so that you need to use an item once you obtain it. This doesn't really work if the player just mirrors away once they obtain the item. We did give out recall potions after the boss fights tho.

The meteor area parkour used to be even harder, we made some of the jumps easier due to our last tester having issues with it. Having the musket there makes all the difference. It's the most efficient weapon to deal with the meteor heads. The area is definitely too hard tho, and in the future, there is no way we are going to have as difficult walljump + combat as a mandatory challenge.

I am stuck after I get musket
weapon :chain knife,Meatball,boomerang,sapphire staff,harpoon,musket
gear: Cobalt helmet,cobalt leggings,diving helmet,flurry boot,climbing gear,Celestial stone,flipper,charm of myths,cloud in a bottle, jelly fish necklace,water walking boots
Killed BOC
btw If you are lucky and meet the skeleton NPC,you can buy some torch for lighting ( and rope if you are too lazy

I am stuck after I get musket
weapon :chain knife,Meatball,boomerang,sapphire staff,harpoon,musket
gear: Cobalt helmet,cobalt leggings,diving helmet,flurry boot,climbing gear,Celestial stone,flipper,charm of myths,cloud in a bottle, jelly fish necklace,water walking boots
Killed BOC
btw If you are lucky and meet the skeleton NPC,you can buy some torch for lighting ( and rope if you are too lazy

It seems like you could use the climbing gear and cloud in a bottle to reach a new area below the ice biome.

how are you supposed to beat plantera with pre-hardmode armor? i read somewhere else that if you fail a few times you get some free armor, but i never got that.

Back
Top Bottom