Showcase [Showcase] 1.3 Expert Mode Dungeon Autofarm (for farming all possible dungeon drops)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
The Dungeon Autofarm is the final mob autofarm for me to showcase before the 1.3.1 release. I designed this autofarm to allow for rapid farming of all possible items from a post-Plantera dungeon. It contains three farming surfaces each with one of three background wall types. The wall types affect spawns; for a full list of the mobs that spawn in front of each wall type, look here:

http://terraria.wiki.gg/Dungeon

This farm is designed to create very rapid turnover of mobs while keeping the player 100% safe from the otherwise dangerous Dungeon Spirits, Giant Cursed Skulls, and spellcasters (especially the Diabolists and Ragged Casters, which can shoot through walls). The farm is also relatively easy to build, requiring 0 Temple traps or mob statues. The only tough part is finding a place in the Dungeon with all three wall types nearby.

Video:

Schematics for the Dungeon Autofarm:

YSDknpi.png

iEk1uMX.png

Explanation:

The player first teleports into the staging area (bottom left room) via the blue wire from the left edge of the screen. The player then pulls the top left lever to teleport all three dummy ghosts into their respective hoik tracks. The dummy ghosts activate pressure plates each time they get hoiked down the track, and these pressure plates teleport any mobs that spawn above into the kill chamber in the top right corner. This is necessary to teleport the Necromancers, Ragged Casters, and Diabolists, because they are incapable of activating pressure plates by themselves.

The player then mounts a Slime Saddle and pulls the top right lever to teleport atop two dummy ghosts in the kill chamber. Bouncing up and down on the ghosts generates continuous invincibility frames and protects the player from all damage. The slime saddle does summon damage to the mobs in the kill chamber, so boosting that damage with summoner gear is recommended. It is also recommended to summon as many Ravens or Pygmies into the kill chamber as well, because neither minion type does piercing damage. All other minions should be avoided because they would disrupt the slime saddle hitting the dummy ghosts.

The three levers to the left of the player control which surfaces are active. Pulling a lever deactuates two rows of blocks above a spawn surface, preventing spawns on that surface. The lava on top of the bubble blocks ensures that no spawns will occur on those deactuated blocks. This way the player can increase the spawns from one or two particlar surfaces. For instance, if the player wanted to farm Paladin drops, then the player would pull the top and middle levers to force all spawns to occur in the bottom right spawn area with the dungeon brick walls.

Note: only the walls directly *behind* the spawn surfaces dictate what spawns on that surface. The wall type above the surface does not affect what spawns! In fact, the walls above the surfaces do not even need to be dungeon walls.

General Schematics for any type of Mob Farming:

nvRlPHY.png

rO7dFn0.png

These schematics focus only on the essential components of any mob farm. Here are some key dimensions:

If the spawn surface is to the left or right of the player's position in the kill chamber, then the surface should be built between 62 and 84 tiles from the player.
If the spawn surface is built below the player's position, then the spawn surface needs to be at least 36 tiles from the player's feet.

The teleporter on the far left shows how to build a player teleporter that connects directly to the kill chamber. Normally this teleporter would be close to home base. The player must mount the slime saddle before using this teleporter.

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBOWJSZ3BMbEszT28/view

Acknowledgements:

As always, my thanks to the creators of Mechmod, the T-MEC community mod. I use the mod for free-cam mode in my videos, and to highlight the wires in the schematics. Download it here:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/mechmod-a-t-mec-community-mod.38088/

Last edited:
I think you probably mentioned, but just to really stress the point: wall behind the player while farming must be natural dungeon wall (not player placed)! This trips up a lot of people and is a virtually unfixible mistake (if you have removed it from the wrong spot)! Wall tile directly above the spawn surface too of course.

Anyway, meticulous job, as always @DicemanX - build, video and write-up.:happy: I like the addition of the extra sections you're been adding at the ends of your videos, really breaking down the working of all the mechanics and mechanisms. :)

Can I ask, have you said somewhere (else) if there is a reason why you've chosen to use upwards facing teeth for the universal horizontal hoik on the teleporter ejector (as opposed to downwards facing)? Does it work more reliably (stop the fighter AI sometimes falling down through the floor, or anything)? Also, is there any need or advantage to having the teleporter itself (and the other blocks that row) hammered into hoik teeth, given that all mobs from the surface(s) will be offset by a whole tile above...? (I'm just really trying to nail things down for my teleporters guide/Gifs.)
Cropper2016-02-21-20-00-09-2051113crop.png

Who'd have thought blazing wheels teleport, eh? Other unlikely things, like Floaty Gross too, I think, and other mobs that can pass through walls and don't trigger plates? Wraiths? I've not done testing yet... I think a list needs creating, quite possibly. A major advantage to your (dummy based) continual teleporter-surface activation technique, that you show, is mobs need not trigger plates. Also, with only 1 surface active, the 3 tooth spacing of the trigger plates naturally means all mobs should have time to eject at the other end, avoiding the possibility of any back teleportation (not that that seems too important, from our video). Good stuff!

Can I ask, have you said somewhere (else) if there is a reason why you've chosen to use upwards facing teeth for the universal horizontal hoik on the teleporter ejector (as opposed to downwards facing)? Does it work more reliably (stop the fighter AI sometimes falling down through the floor, or anything)?

This is exactly it - some mobs end up getting pushed through the floor if I use downwards-facing hoik teeth.

Also, is there any need or advantage to having the teleporter itself (and the other blocks that row) hammered into hoik teeth, given that all mobs from the surface(s) will be offset by a whole tile above...?

It serves as a possible safeguard against any mobs that might find themselves teleported with only a portion of their bodies above the teleporter surface. In theory this shouldn't happen, and yet sometimes mobs end up in locations that we wouldn't anticipate from the set-up.

Who'd have thought blazing wheels teleport, eh? Other unlikely things, like Floaty Gross too, I think, and other mobs that can pass through walls and don't trigger plates? Wraiths? I've not done testing yet... I think a list needs creating, quite possibly.

Creating such a list might certainly be useful!

A major advantage to your (dummy based) continual teleporter-surface activation technique, that you show, is mobs need not trigger plates. Also, with only 1 surface active, the 3 tooth spacing of the trigger plates naturally means all mobs should have time to eject at the other end, avoiding the possibility of any back teleportation (not that that seems too important, from our video). Good stuff!

Indeed, although with three spawn surfaces there will be a lot more back teleportation since the destination teleporter in the kill chamber could be activated within the same frame or after 1 tick. With only 1 active spawn surface there is enough time for most mobs to be hoiked away from the teleporter. The exceptions include mobs that get teleported right at the edge and fail to clear the destination teleporter within 3 ticks. There are ways of preventing back-teleportation completely, but they are not worth adding since back-teleportation doesn't affect turnover rate in any significant way.

Also, with only 1 surface active, the 3 tooth spacing of the trigger plates naturally means all mobs should have time to eject at the other end

Indeed, although with three spawn surfaces there will be a lot more back teleportation since the destination teleporter in the kill chamber could be activated within the same frame or after 1 tick.

Hook the chambers up in series, and decrease activation rate to 4.

kill chamb. <- 1, 1 <- 2, 2 <- 3;
tick 2;
tick 3;
tick 4;
repeat.

There are ways of preventing back-teleportation completely, but they are not worth adding since back-teleportation doesn't affect turnover rate in any significant way.

I think you probably mentioned, but just to really stress the point: wall behind the player while farming must be natural dungeon wall (not player placed)! This trips up a lot of people and is a virtually unfixible mistake (if you have removed it from the wrong spot)! Wall tile directly above the spawn surface too of course.

Anyway, meticulous job, as always @DicemanX - build, video and write-up.:happy: I like the addition of the extra sections you're been adding at the ends of your videos, really breaking down the working of all the mechanics and mechanisms. :)

Can I ask, have you said somewhere (else) if there is a reason why you've chosen to use upwards facing teeth for the universal horizontal hoik on the teleporter ejector (as opposed to downwards facing)? Does it work more reliably (stop the fighter AI sometimes falling down through the floor, or anything)? Also, is there any need or advantage to having the teleporter itself (and the other blocks that row) hammered into hoik teeth, given that all mobs from the surface(s) will be offset by a whole tile above...? (I'm just really trying to nail things down for my teleporters guide/Gifs.)
View attachment 97454
Who'd have thought blazing wheels teleport, eh? Other unlikely things, like Floaty Gross too, I think, and other mobs that can pass through walls and don't trigger plates? Wraiths? I've not done testing yet... I think a list needs creating, quite possibly. A major advantage to your (dummy based) continual teleporter-surface activation technique, that you show, is mobs need not trigger plates. Also, with only 1 surface active, the 3 tooth spacing of the trigger plates naturally means all mobs should have time to eject at the other end, avoiding the possibility of any back teleportation (not that that seems too important, from our video). Good stuff!

Just asking, can you teleport the king slime? Mind listing a few more interesting cases of mobs that can/can't be teleported? I might check out the source code...
[DOUBLEPOST=1456329214,1456164299][/DOUBLEPOST]I had a look at what entities can be teleported:
Code:
if (Main.npc[k].active && !Main.npc[k].teleporting && Main.npc[k].lifeMax > 5 && !Main.npc[k].boss && !Main.npc[k].noTileCollide && array[i].Intersects(Main.npc[k].getRect()))

So, it looks like an entity can only get teleported if:
  • Its health is greater than 5
  • It is not a boss
  • It does collide with tiles
So, here are some examples of NPC that can/can't be teleported and why:
Servant of Cthulhu: Can't be teleported since it can move through blocks. (Really?)
Floaty Gross: Can't be teleported since it can move through blocks. (Really?)
King Slime: Can't be teleported since it is a boss.
Bunny: Can't be teleported since its health is not greater than 5. (It just got 5 health)
Blazing Wheel: Can be teleported, no conflicts..

• Its health is greater than 5
  • It is not a boss
  • It does collide with tiles

Good stuff, that explains it all. As a curious aside, you can teleport the Golem's fists :). In fact, perhaps it might be possible to get rid of the fists almost instantly by teleporting them a sufficient distance for an instant despawn. Not sure if that would work though - never tried it.

Good stuff, that explains it all. As a curious aside, you can teleport the Golem's fists :). In fact, perhaps it might be possible to get rid of the fists almost instantly by teleporting them a sufficient distance for an instant despawn. Not sure if that would work though - never tried it.

Wow! That is awesome! :D

Should I make a list of mobs that can be teleported/a list of mobs that can't be teleported? It wouldn't be that much work, just a bit of Regex. (Fancy find and replace thing. e.g. Remove all text except the mob names. (They are in quotes and there are 2 equals signs before them, easy to identify..))

Wow! That is awesome! :D

I checked the temple farm video and I even managed to capture the teleporting of the fist:

It happens at around 5:45. The fist still remains attached to the shoulder when it gets teleported, and thus the fist springs back almost immediately.

Should I make a list of mobs that can be teleported/a list of mobs that can't be teleported? It wouldn't be that much work, just a bit of Regex. (Fancy find and replace thing. e.g. Remove all text except the mob names. (They are in quotes and there are 2 equals signs before them, easy to identify..))

Sure thing, if you're up to it! It would make it easier to do a quick search for a specific mob.

Just a quick note though: 1.3.1 is very close according to Cenx (they are just addressing some bugs at this point) so we might want to wait to see what, if anything, will change in the update before doing any major work.

Back
Top Bottom