Expert Mode Recursive Fully-Automated Lunar Event Autofarm

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
I'd like to showcase a fully automated recursive Lunar Event farm, designed to operate completely away from keyboard. It has the option for recursion, meaning that the lunar event can be farmed over and over without any player input. First I'll present a video of the farm in action, and then present the schematics of the farm if you want to build one for yourself. I'll also provide a world download if you want to try the farm for yourself.

EDIT: The farm has been updated. It is now much faster, and avoids some of the flaws that were present in the initial version. I still have the first video of the farm in action below, with a second video showcasing the updated farm.

Video #1 (old version):

Video #2 (new version):

The autofarm begins with the Lunatic Cultist - see the schematic below.

Schematics for Lunar Cultist Autofarm:

2VxCHCs.jpg
3MdPFaj.jpg

The player starts off at the teleporter at the very top and to the right of the structure. The left lever returns the player to home base, while the middle lever sends the player directly to the Moon Lord Autofarm if the player wants to only farm the Moon Lord without going through the entire Lunar Event. Finally, the right lever begins the recursive Lunar Event farming by deactuating the hoik teeth where the player stands and propelling the player into the right teleporter to initiate the autofarm. The player could also just walk into the right teleporter to do single event farming without recursion.

When farming begins, the player is repeatedly hoiked into the ground, sustaining a point of damage with each cycle so long as the player has at least 26 defense. This fall damage prevents damage from any of the event mobs and keeps the player alive. Wearing a Celestial Shell, Celestial Stone, and a Band of Regeneration ensures that the player's life never goes below 500.

The spiky balls kill the starting cultists, and the Stardust Dragon kills the Lunatic Cultist very quickly. The timer cascade near the top is built to teleport the player to the next autofarm (the pillar autofarm) once 25 seconds has elapsed.

The wires that go off-picture connect as follows:

Blue Wire at the left edge connects to the first pillar arena
Green Wire at the left edge returns the player from the Moon Lord arena
Blue Wire at the top edge connects to home base

Schematics for each Pillar Autofarm:

pw2fiOe.jpg
1NNxZmf.jpg

Each Pillar autofarm has the same damage prevention machine, and features a 5 second timer. If the timer is allowed to fire off, the player is sent to the collection teleporters where the pillar releases its fragments. The player bounces from one collection teleporter to the next due to a bird passing over pressure plates above. The final teleporter connects to the next pillar arena.

When the pillar is present however, the spawn rate is so high that lunar mobs constantly hit the pressure plates that line the spawn surface and sit on platforms above. Each time a ny of the pressure plates are activated, they trigger a dummy ghost to proceed down the four teleport chambers in the bottom right corner, hitting pressure plates connected to the 5-second timer along the way. This refreshes the 5-second timer so that it doesn't fire until 5 seconds has elapsed from the last time a pressure plate in the spawn area was activated. This won't happen when the pillar is around, because the spawn rate of lunar enemies is extremely high.

When the pillar dies, the spawn rate is significantly reduced due to the presence of the sunflower and peace candle. The 5-second timer thus fires shortly after the pillar is destroyed.

After the final pillar is defeated in the fourth pillar autofarm, the player is sent to the Moon Lord autofarm.

Schematics for the Moon Lord Autofarm:

rnNxKPE.jpg
WJz55xS.jpg

The player is hoiked around for four minutes, evading the majority of the Moon lord's attacks while the Dragon destroys all the eyes and heart. Even though the player might occasionally sustain damage (very rarely though) the life regeneration will build the player's life back up to 500 very quickly.

Once the 4 minutes are up, the player is teleported back to the starting teleporter in the Cultist autofarm.

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBdEo1MVZBemx4SU0/view (old version)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBQnZZTHUtbFdibFk/view?usp=sharing (new version)

Last edited:
Worked fine for me, until my idiot snake decided to complete the final pillar too soon and the Moon Lord spawned on my head while I was still doing the teleport/drop jig...

I managed to survive that with a quick healing potion until the timer ticked down and I ported to the final area.

And then idiot snake boy decided to circle the chest weak point of the moon lord instead of, you know, actually doing damage... So I ported back to the beginning with a moon lord tagging along for company (daddy, can I keep him, I promise I'll feed him and take him for walks...)

<sigh>

I'll try again tomorrow evening, but thanks for the continued efforts in making shinies available to ageing gamers with declining reaction speed <grin>

On a more serious and possibly useful note, maybe swith up the TP pattern in the Moon Lord arena to a figure eight rather than circle to reduce the chance of the dragon getting stuck in a loop around the moon lords chest? (no idea if that would be feasible or would mean you got hoiked into the way of zappy death nastiness though.)

Worked fine for me, until my idiot snake decided to complete the final pillar too soon and the Moon Lord spawned on my head while I was still doing the teleport/drop jig...

Unfortunate. There is a low chance that will happen on the final pillar (especially if it's a vortex pillar) so that was some bad luck in your run. I'm working on ways to prevent that from happening, by either finding ways of speeding up the pillar farming or by incorporating the Moon lord arena into the final pillar arena so that the player can be sent to the Moon Lord arena even if the pillar hasn't been yet killed.

And then idiot snake boy decided to circle the chest weak point of the moon lord instead of, you know, actually doing damage... So I ported back to the beginning with a moon lord tagging along for company (daddy, can I keep him, I promise I'll feed him and take him for walks...)

Odd - the Dragon has always managed to target the heart in my runs. I might end up adding some spear traps in the vicinity of the heart to accont for the possibility of the Dragon not connecting.

On a more serious and possibly useful note, maybe swith up the TP pattern in the Moon Lord arena to a figure eight rather than circle to reduce the chance of the dragon getting stuck in a loop around the moon lords chest? (no idea if that would be feasible or would mean you got hoiked into the way of zappy death nastiness though.)

Yeah, it'll be tough departing from the current set-up without risking getting hit by the Moon Lord attacks. I might just settle for the Spear Trap route instead.

Thanks for the feedback! It gives me some things to work on!

I'm impressed. I've never seen such amazing hoik autofarms. Looks very effective, but I guess I'm not that good at wiring to create this. Anyway, great job.

Yay, talk about infinite lunar event engines! Now I can actually post a thing...

Edit: Should mention that I love your idea of putting optional single-run and infinite run paths in. I shall need to steal that. :)

Unfortunate. There is a low chance that will happen on the final pillar (especially if it's a vortex pillar) so that was some bad luck in your run. I'm working on ways to prevent that from happening, by either finding ways of speeding up the pillar farming or by incorporating the Moon lord arena into the final pillar arena so that the player can be sent to the Moon Lord arena even if the pillar hasn't been yet killed.

I've been working on a farm for this over the past couple of weeks and that's eventually the path I had to take. Three drop invulnerability engines into a heart/hoik engine for the final pillar and boss. The vortex pillar would always ruin everything and no matter how much I tweaked the engines it never killed the other three appreciably faster without also speeding up the vortex kill time. Each run pretty much had a 25% chance of failure. With that final pillar/boss merged, and a two-track fix for cultists spawning on large worlds, I had a fully successful loop... for about nine hours of testing. :(

The big problem (that maybe you have an idea on) is that at some point during the run I would somehow get pirate invasions spawning or a martian probe at the end before porting out of the final engine. This wrecked the whole plan. I surrounded my final engine with lava/stone layers to hopefully not make the probe spawn around it, but I'm at a loss as to how to stop the pirate/goblin invasions being declared. There has to be some way without building an additional machine to handle that before porting back to the dungeon. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Yay, talk about infinite lunar event engines! Now I can actually post a thing...

Edit: Should mention that I love your idea of putting optional single-run and infinite run paths in. I shall need to steal that. :)

Go for it :). I will be adding one more feature - the option to switch the farming to manual, so that when the player is teleported into each autofarm, it does not start the countdown timer. This can be easily done by using a pair of hoik teeth that can be toggled between the player hitting a pressure plate to start the timer cascade, and not hitting it.

I've been working on a farm for this over the past couple of weeks and that's eventually the path I had to take. Three drop invulnerability engines into a heart/hoik engine for the final pillar and boss. The vortex pillar would always ruin everything and no matter how much I tweaked the engines it never killed the other three appreciably faster without also speeding up the vortex kill time. Each run pretty much had a 25% chance of failure. With that final pillar/boss merged, and a two-track fix for cultists spawning on large worlds, I had a fully successful loop... for about nine hours of testing. :(

There are two potential solutions to the final pillar problem. The first is to simply speed up the kill rate, so that the range of kill times is less than 1 minute (the time it takes the Moon Lord to spawn after the pillar dies). This might be accomplished through a combination of temple traps and hoiks to concentrate the mobs around the pillar (temple traps don't interfere with the Dragon).

The second solution is to simply relocate the Moon Lord farm so that it overlaps the final pillar farm, and reduce the countdown timer. That way even if the Dragon doesn't kill the pillar before the player is teleported into the Moon Lord arena, the Dragon still has the opportunity to do so while the player is hoiking around the Moon Lord arena.

I think there's ultimately a way to make this farm 100% foolproof. Still, the version I released works very well even if it occasionally fails at the 4th pillar, so for practical purposes it's enough, but of course I eventually want to make it perfect :).

The big problem (that maybe you have an idea on) is that at some point during the run I would somehow get pirate invasions spawning or a martian probe at the end before porting out of the final engine. This wrecked the whole plan. I surrounded my final engine with lava/stone layers to hopefully not make the probe spawn around it, but I'm at a loss as to how to stop the pirate/goblin invasions being declared. There has to be some way without building an additional machine to handle that before porting back to the dungeon. Any ideas?

You can deal with the Martian Madness event by blocking spawns in the Moon Lord and Cultist arenas, and making the player inaccessible in the pillar arenas. However, the pirate invasion issue is a separate problem. You can actually solve that problem quite easily by having an NPC at one of the pillar arenas. Invasions require at least one NPC nearby, so triggering the pirate invasion will allow you to beat off that invasion and resume farming the event in the next cycle. NPCs shouldn't affect the spawn rates of the Lunar enemies, and they can be placed on the side opposite to the spawn surface where they should be completely untouched.

There are two potential solutions to the final pillar problem. The first is to simply speed up the kill rate, so that the range of kill times is less than 1 minute (the time it takes the Moon Lord to spawn after the pillar dies). This might be accomplished through a combination of temple traps and hoiks to concentrate the mobs around the pillar (temple traps don't interfere with the Dragon).

This might be a very good reason to switch to not using your immortality machine for Moon Lord. Intially I didn't even think about using regen items as I figured there would eventually be some ridiculous perfect storm where the damage shot past regen. Having to set up every pillar machine (and the surrounding environments, and the dungeon, and the bat/slime dragon buff area...) to be a lava playground has been annoying. It's just so convenient even with the rather silly amount of glowing red.

My latest pillar engine optimizations are pulling times between one and two minutes (if extremely close in some cases) though, so things could get really fun soon.

of course I eventually want to make it perfect :).

Once it does a successful test at 48 hours I'm calling it unbreakable and quitting on the basis that no one is ever going to run it long enough to disprove it. ;)

NPCs shouldn't affect the spawn rates of the Lunar enemies, and they can be placed on the side opposite to the spawn surface where they should be completely untouched.

Thanks! The probe issue looks to have been solved already through gratuitous block placement, so now I just need to stick some NPC fodder in houses.

Once it does a successful test at 48 hours I'm calling it unbreakable and quitting on the basis that no one is ever going to run it long enough to disprove it. ;)

Looks like it's mission accomplished :).

Based on suggestions by AeonicEclipse and Drodin on the mirrored T-MEC thread, I rebuilt the pillar farms to include a detection system which detects whether or not a pillar has been defeated. If a pillar is no longer present at a given farm, a 5-second timer will fire off to send the player to the next farm. Here's a few details of the new approach:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...mated-lunar-event-autofarm.34950/#post-768659

The entire cycle is now under 10 minutes, and there are no longer any issues at the 4th pillar. I'll make another video showcasing the improved farming system, and provide a new map download and schematics soon!

On a separate note: the problem with the Dragon circling the Moon Lord heart without attacking it (which upon further testing would happen once in a while) has been fairiy straightforwardly addressed by reversing the direction the player moves through the upper hoik system. This now has the added effect of allowing the Dragon to kill the Moon Lord faster.

Last edited:
Looks like it's mission accomplished :).

Based on suggestions by AeonicEclipse and Drodin on the mirrored T-MEC thread, I rebuilt the pillar farms to include a detection system which detects whether or not a pillar has been defeated. If a pillar is no longer present at a given farm, a 5-second timer will fire off to send the player to the next farm. Here's a few details of the new approach:

Grats! I got my heart-based one there this morning, but it's ~13:30 per loop not counting the ~5 seconds lost due to messing with cultists spawning on a large world. I thought of using plates but that (and hoiking enemies and a lot of other good tricks) didn't work with the hearts. There's also 40 seconds lost in total due to the solar pillar causing chronic Dumb Dragon Syndrome. The other thing I had considered was actuating the spawn surface in the last five seconds as the shield is always down anyway and I could save 20 seconds or so with the dragon focused. That was unfortunately too much work rewiring everything.

Can't wait for a newer tedit to be released so I can paint instead of just cut/paste. :)

OK, here's the latest video, showcasing the updated farm:

I also updated the first post with the most recent schematics, along with a world download featuring the updated farm.

Idiot Dragon Syndrome seems to be fixed for me now, thanks to the figure 8 pattern.

I just grabbed a handful of moon lord summoning items from your world and ran him through the wringer about 20 times to check. (in moon lord farming mode, didn't have the patience to run than many cycles through the full thing...)

If you get an unfavourable start position for the arrival of squidface, you can lose a LOT of health rapidly, he never quite did enough to me to kill me, but I was down to about 40HP at one point, not much you can do about that though, since the arrival time and your position are pretty much random.

However, I lost two goody bags, and had to come back in my UFO to get a third, as for whatever reason, they were dropping to the left of the activating area of platform, and didn't drop close enough to the hoik track to be picked up, and since I've yet to find a staff of dislocation, I couldn't get myself close enough to them to pick them up. (two fell through the very left of the activated platform, but were just out of pickup range when on the hoik track.)

9.95/10, wouldn't have even noticed the glitches if I'd had the thing on full autofarm while AFK, but I was reading while keeping half an eye on it :)

Idiot Dragon Syndrome seems to be fixed for me now, thanks to the figure 8 pattern.

Excellent! I also experienced no problems after making the change!

If you get an unfavourable start position for the arrival of squidface, you can lose a LOT of health rapidly, he never quite did enough to me to kill me, but I was down to about 40HP at one point, not much you can do about that though, since the arrival time and your position are pretty much random.

Yes, this is actually expected. If the Moon Lord spawns above you in the upper hoik tracks, he can lay down an eye that will hit you anywhere between 1 and 3 times. However, even if it hits you 3 times, it seems to be insufficient to kill you. A Worm's Scarf can be worn to reduce the damage, but it's unclear if it's even needed.

However, I lost two goody bags, and had to come back in my UFO to get a third, as for whatever reason, they were dropping to the left of the activating area of platform, and didn't drop close enough to the hoik track to be picked up, and since I've yet to find a staff of dislocation, I couldn't get myself close enough to them to pick them up. (two fell through the very left of the activated platform, but were just out of pickup range when on the hoik track.)

Ah, good that you reported this. It can be easily fixed by adding an actuated hoik track where the bag might fall to hoik it to the player track.

9.95/10, wouldn't have even noticed the glitches if I'd had the thing on full autofarm while AFK, but I was reading while keeping half an eye on it :)

Great, thanks for testing it out! Another player reported an issue with the 4th pillar farm - he got a blood moon just after entering the 4th pillar, and the mobs spawned too frequently and prevented an escape for over a minute. This too can be easily fixed by bringing in some NPCs to further reduce the spawn rate there.

@DicemanX, I was thinking about the final stage with the timer -- how to detect the moon lord spawned, and was dead. We know it's one minute from the final pillar to the boss spawn, and also that while the boss is out it will suppress any other spawns in the region. I was considering if that could be used to create a detector:
  1. Players enters, trips a 1:00 timer cascade (knowing we had at least 5 seconds from pillar death to entry)
  2. When cascade trips, flip actuated blocks to expose a spawn area to the left or right edge of the area
  3. When something spawns, have it trip a pressure pad
  4. Pressure pad makes spawning impossible again, and triggers player exit.
I'm trying to figure out what could go wrong here; seems pretty solid, and like it would work for both longer and shorter kills than the default. Thoughs?

@DicemanX, I was thinking about the final stage with the timer -- how to detect the moon lord spawned, and was dead. We know it's one minute from the final pillar to the boss spawn, and also that while the boss is out it will suppress any other spawns in the region. I was considering if that could be used to create a detector:
  1. Players enters, trips a 1:00 timer cascade (knowing we had at least 5 seconds from pillar death to entry)
  2. When cascade trips, flip actuated blocks to expose a spawn area to the left or right edge of the area
  3. When something spawns, have it trip a pressure pad
  4. Pressure pad makes spawning impossible again, and triggers player exit.
I'm trying to figure out what could go wrong here; seems pretty solid, and like it would work for both longer and shorter kills than the default. Thoughs?

I actually updated the Moon Lord area on my map some time ago to detect whether the Moon Lord was killed. I connected the pressure plate in the Cultist spawn area to one of the hoik tracks in the Moon Lord arena so that once the Cultists spawn the player gets immediately sent to the Cultist farm. There is a separate failsafe timer that sends the player through the entire chain of farms again. This timer is shut off automatically if the player is no longer at the Moon lord arena. However, if the player is still around because the Moon lord was never summoned (which can happen if one of the Pillars isn't defeated - it rarely happens at the Stardust Pillar), then the timer pushes the player through the pillar arenas again.

Your approach in theory would simply things because we wouldn't need to use the Cultist pressure plate or the failsafe. There's however one problem - the Moon Lord unfortunately doesn't block all regular mob spawns. I've had Harpies spawn during the Moon Lord fights in testing for instance, and thus you'd end up with an early player exit if something spawns in your proposed set-up.

However, all is not lost, because we have a really simple Moon Lord spawn detector available to us. So long as we're not wearing a shield, we can have the Moon lord knock us into a teleporter when he hits us, initiating the fight. If the Moon Lord fails to hit us (because he fails to spawn) we could have your suggested 1 minute timer teleport us out of the arena. If we get knocked out of the teleporter by the Moon lord, then when the 1 min timer reaches the end and triggers, the player will no longer be there to get teleported out of the arena.

We can then still use the Cultist spawn as the trigger to start the next cycle, but we wouldn't need the failsafe timer cascade anymore. This will end up saving time for any cycle where a pillar is not beaten at one of the pillar arenas.

The method of detection described above was featured prominently in my automated playthrough:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...ugh-afk-from-pre-hardmode-to-moon-lord.38547/

However I didn't use the on-hit detection versus the Moon Lord because I was playing a fresh character with only 100 life. An end-game character with 500 life, however, can take that hit.

Somehow I'm not surprised I'm rediscovering and fixing things you already fixed -- not that I'm sad about it. One challenge I *do* have at the moment is that I sometimes run out of health while bouncing around waiting for my dragon to eat all the pillars. I tried building health replenishment machines between the arenas, but since there are a pile of dropped hearts inside them I don't get anything out of heart statues. :(

My current plan is to build a delay into the gap -- a one-shot timer to trigger moving onward, and a chance to sit and replenish health between pillars. Moon lord, after the last one, is fine. Plenty of time zooming around that track to regen to full health.

I'm sure I could find more health regen increasing items, of course, but that's no challenge, compared to building a system that ensures I'm at full health for each pillar as we move through. I did add honey to the pillar farms for a little bit of help, but it's not close to enough. Heart statues in the farms have the obvious problem, which is that they will fail the same way the heart statue machines between the farms would.

(I'd hoped the distance would allow them to spawn hearts, but I guess not...)

My other half-hearted thought is to try and figure out a heart hoik system in the arena. I should be able to move them across while keeping a layer of platforms, and pressure plates, above the (1 high) hoik system, then drop them down a one tile gap at the far end, and bring them into range of the play, I think ... but that seems like a lot of effort, especially since they get stuck up on the platforms too...

I'm sure I could find more health regen increasing items, of course, but that's no challenge, compared to building a system that ensures I'm at full health for each pillar as we move through. I did add honey to the pillar farms for a little bit of help, but it's not close to enough. Heart statues in the farms have the obvious problem, which is that they will fail the same way the heart statue machines between the farms would.

I currently have honey at each pillar arena, and I always farm with a Celestial Stone which is good enough to keep my health up. I'll always regain all the health when I wait for the Moon Lord. If however you want the farm to work without resorting to accessories then yes, your delay idea would work nicely, although I think it would be better to use hoiks for the player to collect hearts to make sure you keep moving quickly through each arena. Since the pillar mobs drop hearts in a fairly concentrated area, you could arrange a short player hoik track across that area to pick up the hearts before exiting to the next stage.

I actually use a regen ring, food, and celestial stone, and still sometimes wind up dead before my dragon kills enough critters and the pillar. I'd say "expert mode", but that's what your farm was built for, so I can't even...

Oh! It's dying while the pillars are still up, not at moonlord, that's the problem. Never have an issue if I make it all the way through the four of 'em.

Maybe I'm not putting as much effort into an ultra-dragon for the farming. Honestly, I mostly just let it be more or less the default. (Flip in the summoner thing, but not, eg, nebula armor bonuses or fishron mount.)

Last edited:
I actually use a regen ring, food, and celestial stone, and still sometimes wind up dead before my dragon kills enough critters and the pillar. I'd say "expert mode", but that's what your farm was built for, so I can't even...

Oh! It's dying while the pillars are still up, not at moonlord, that's the problem. Never have an issue if I make it all the way through the four of 'em.

Maybe I'm not putting as much effort into an ultra-dragon for the farming. Honestly, I mostly just let it be more or less the default. (Flip in the summoner thing, but not, eg, nebula armor bonuses or fishron mount.)

Yeah it's sounding like the Dragon might be pretty weak and you're spending too much time at the pillars as a result. Also, with a Celestial Stone and Shell you can stop all life loss and that ultimately is the best solution.

Welp, this solved my problem, good suggestion on the hoik track vs the delay between pillars. I'm not sure what's going on, but the dragon certainly doesn't seem to be having trouble killing things in a timely fashion, just with not clearing the pillars fast enough. It's doing ~ 1.1k damage per hit, averaging around 6k or 7k while eating things. (116 damage on the staff, according to the tooltip, at summon.) Maybe that's lower than it needs to be but, heck, this'll do as far as I'm concerned.

It brings me back up to close to 500 health after each pillar, which is enough that I no longer have any problems with dying during my test runs. I rerouted some wires, notably the green one, and added the extra teleporter that drops me onto the hoik trigger and runs me to the far end, then on to the next farm. I should probably add an extra set of green triggers above that bottom right teleporter platform, just for safety, but it works pretty fine so far.

edit to add: the celestial shell in addition to the celestial stone is what I was missing. add that and this was a fun diversion, but unnecessary. :)

player hoik heart collection.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom