[Cross-Platform] Prism modding API for 1.3

Well, I've added some things to the repo a few months ago. Since then, no real progress has been made.

News flash: it's completely dead.

Anyone can always fork it and move on if they want to (even as the base for any modding system, for any game), though, for any reason.

News flash: it's completely dead.

Anyone can always fork it and move on if they want to (even as the base for any modding system, for any game), though, for any reason.
mmm whatcha say
mmm that you only meant well
mmm of course you did
mmm whatcha say
mmm that it's all for the best
of course it is

Any news on the stability and features of Prism yet?
Its been a while
We basically halted development due to a lack of motivation; everybody seemed content with using the much less refined tModLoader (which didn't improve upon tAPI's way of modding, but rather copied it) and didn't seem to care about Prism. Poro and I have both lost interest in programming it the last few months. However, it is still on GitHub if anyone would like to do a pull request. However, because the programming in Prism is very high level (Poro developed a very complex and versatile code base using every single feature of C# known to man), new programmers will likely be lost without a few years of C# experience, but by all means, anyone feel free to finish it.
:red:

everybody seemed content with using the much less refined tModLoader (which didn't improve upon tAPI's way of modding, but rather copied it)
Is there something wrong with that though? Wouldn't it be easier for 'earlier-modders' to work with a system that's rather familiar?

Poro and I have both lost interest in programming it the last few months.
I haven't, but I don't have any projects atm (but I did have one after Prism).

I'll put a note in the OP.
EDIT: done.

Should we put it in the public domain or relicense it under a more permissive license (GPL, MIT, ..., or even DBAD/WTFPL)? (will need approval from all the others, though)

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with that though? Wouldn't it be easier for 'earlier-modders' to work with a system that's rather familiar?
There's nothing wrong with someone sticking to what is familiar, but what was familiar was rather unintuitive and limited the capacity for modding a bit. The aim with Prism was to add support for more stuff.
I haven't, but I don't have any projects atm (but I did have one after Prism).

I'll put a note in the OP.
EDIT: done.

Should we put it in the public domain or relicense it under a more permissive license (GPL, MIT, ..., or even DBAD/WTFPL)? (will need approval from all the others, though)
I kinda like WTFPL :redspin:

The aim with Prism was to add support for more stuff.
Like? Could you give an example? This feels kind of abstract to me. I mean, what is there that tModLoader can't possibly do? (given you put the work in it that's needed to do it)

Like? Could you give an example? This feels kind of abstract to me. I mean, what is there that tModLoader can't possibly do? (given you put the work in it that's needed to do it)
With Prism, one can easily load definitions from <any kind of database> or generate them on the fly. It also contains a cleaner object model that doesn't involve string parsing during lookup etc. It also demonstrates the use of code injection, instead of working with the decompiled code base, which can be more useful when a Terraria update hits (as nothing has to be compiled and reapplied again).

It IS quite abstract, but it's more substantial than just "X can let you make this entity with that nifty but tiny special feature".

By the way, keeping a system "just because it already worked like that" is quite stupid and doesn't leave room for actual changes. See: eg. 1750 and onwards.
I kinda like WTFPL :redspin:
Maybe DBAD ("Don't Be A :red:") if others don't like the utter freedom of WTFPL?

Anyway, pinging @MiraiMai @MageKing17 @Nopezal @Neojin .

Last edited:
With Prism, one can easily load definitions from <any kind of database> or generate them on the fly. It also contains a cleaner object model that doesn't involve string parsing during lookup etc. It also demonstrates the use of code injection, instead of working with the decompiled code base, which can be more useful when a Terraria update hits (as nothing has to be compiled and reapplied again).

It IS quite abstract, but it's more substantial than just "X can let you make this entity with that nifty but tiny special feature".

By the way, keeping a system "just because it already worked like that" is quite stupid and doesn't leave room for actual changes.

Maybe DBAD ("Don't Be A :red:") if others don't like the utter freedom of WTFPL?

Anyway, pinging @MiraiMai @MageKing17 @Nopezal @Neojin .

Fine by me. WTFPL is nice.

4vJ4vZG.png
(from the #tapi channel on EsperNet)

Welp, there goes something that could have done something amazing for the modding community.

Now all that's left is a small seed of hope for some coding wizard to pick this up.

latest

Don't get your hopes up, the project is still entirely dependent on pull requests. Unless he's working on it secretivly and not telling me?

Soooo you're working on Prism again?

Edit: THREE MODS LOADED.
I simply wanted to test how hard it'd be to update (because the 'code injection' strategy was never tested against big updates). I probably won't be adding any more features (in the near future, at least, but I don't guarantee anything in the non-near future), though.

EDIT: @Nopezal, if you want to continue the project, you're free to ask (so I can give you write access to the repo).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom