Console Console Update Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.2.4.1 will also attempt to fix 1.2.4.0 bugs, which were at the time of release not known.

505 Games is a <100 man team working on many games besides Terraria. By no means do they or can they fix their full attention on Terraria.
They pay no attention to terraria. No updates on progress , throwing empty words about release date when they don't certainly sure, no anything and bag of excuses.
Every developer have many games and can't pay full attention but give updates on time anyway.

No updates on progress,

Apart from this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this and of course, this thread itself.
throwing empty words about release date when they don't certainly sure, no anything and bag of excuses.
Release dates are expectations, not promises. Game development is not something that's easily (if at all) quantifiable, which I for one can attest to. Making release date predictions is a always a gambit, the only assurance of meeting it is if you're willing to leave out content or leave in bugs at the last minute, which I think 505 Games has stated very clearly over the last few years does not fit into its ideology with concern to Terraria ports. The only remarkable thing about them apologising is that they don't really have anything to apologise for.
Every developer have many games and can't pay full attention but give updates on time anyway.
This simply is not true. Focusing on one project at a time is the norm rather than the exception, especially for small developers. 505 Games is an exception, and considering there hardly is a point of reference, please give me concrete examples of other developers who do the same and manage better.

Apart from this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this and of course, this thread itself.

Release dates are expectations, not promises. Game development is not something that's easily (if at all) quantifiable, which I for one can attest to. Making release date predictions is a always a gambit, the only assurance of meeting it is if you're willing to leave out content or leave in bugs at the last minute, which I think 505 Games has stated very clearly over the last few years does not fit into its ideology with concern to Terraria ports. The only remarkable thing about them apologising is that they don't really have anything to apologise for.

This simply is not true. Focusing on one project at a time is the norm rather than the exception, especially for small developers. 505 Games is an exception, and considering there hardly is a point of reference, please give me concrete examples of other developers who do the same and manage better.
Bethesda, 4j studios, candy rufus games(one man one game makes better than whole 505) techland.
Find messed up house and try to clean it by doing everything at once and than mess it up agin and try yo clean i by sorting tasks and giving them priorities and come back and say what was easier.
And word about bugs agin: They left boreal armor with shadow armor arm so i dont think bugfixes are responsible for delay.
Most of those updates are very old rare and from previous versions some from 3ds and mobile.
Back in a time i was looking everywhere for info about progress. Months of searching later i got here and it was like walking into dead city. No updates at all for long time. Than i gived up. until i decided to get back here and talk about Why they don't release that update? Bugfixes? Nah. They always leave some bugs to players have fun discovering them...

Bethesda, 4j studios, candy rufus games(one man one game makes better than whole 505) techland.
Bethesda has more than enough employees to put 100 people on each project. 505 Games has less than 100 employees all together. Subtract from that the employees that do general task and then divide the remainder across all projects, you get why things take some time.

4J Studios hasn't been working on anything but Minecraft ports since 2012, I hardly think they fit the bill here.

Survivalcraft is A) not a port, ergo hardly a good measure for 505 Games' quality, B) obviously heavily influenced by Minecraft, so it's hardly one man's game, and C) hardly on par with Terraria when it comes to update speed (just look at where Survivalcraft is standing after five years of development).

Techland, like Bethesda, has a lot more manpower than 505 Games (almost 300 employees), and I don't get the impression from their portfolio that they take up as big as a load upon them at any given time than 505 does (relatively speaking, that is).
Find messed up house and try to clean it by doing everything at once and than mess it up agin and try yo clean i by sorting tasks and giving them priorities and come back and say what was easier.
There is a difference between trying to clean everything in one house at the same time or trying to clean multiple houses at the same time in a structural way (which is what 505 does). Your analogy doesn't apply to this situation.
And word about bugs agin: They left boreal armor with shadow armor arm so i dont think bugfixes are responsible for delay.
Most of those updates are very old rare and from previous versions some from 3ds and mobile.
Back in a time i was looking everywhere for info about progress. Months of searching later i got here and it was like walking into dead city. No updates at all for long time. Than i gived up. until i decided to get back here and talk about Why they don't release that update? Bugfixes? Nah. They always leave some bugs to players have fun discovering them...
This is something I see so very often it just boggles my mind. I'll ask you the same question I'll ask everyone else:

How is it in any way in a developers' best interest to leave a major or game breaking bug in a game if they know it's there?

Bethesda has more than enough employees to put 100 people on each project. 505 Games has less than 100 employees all together. Subtract from that the employees that do general task and then divide the remainder across all projects, you get why things take some time.

4J Studios hasn't been working on anything but Minecraft ports since 2012, I hardly think they fit the bill here.

Survivalcraft is A) not a port, ergo hardly a good measure for 505 Games' quality, B) obviously heavily influenced by Minecraft, so it's hardly one man's game, and C) hardly on par with Terraria when it comes to update speed (just look at where Survivalcraft is standing after five years of development).

Techland, like Bethesda, has a lot more manpower than 505 Games (almost 300 employees), and I don't get the impression from their portfolio that they take up as big as a load upon them at any given time than 505 does (relatively speaking, that is).
There is a difference between trying to clean everything in one house at the same time or trying to clean multiple houses at the same time in a structural way (which is what 505 does). Your analogy doesn't apply to this situation.

This is something I see so very often it just boggles my mind. I'll ask you the same question I'll ask everyone else:

How is it in any way in a developers' best interest to leave a major or game breaking bug in a game if they know it's there?
So they can fix it later. After cup of coffe with cake and indiana jones marathon.
And i have to ask is something in this update that need new world to get new stuff? I want play terraria but this question mentally blocks me :dryadcry:

So they can fix it later. After cup of coffe with cake and indiana jones marathon.

You seem to forget that game developers develop games for a living, not just for laughs. We want to give our customers a decent product not just because it gives us the satisfaction of a job well done (although that of course is the main motivation), but also because at the end of the day, we want to pay our bills.

You seem to forget that game developers develop games for a living, not just for laughs. We want to give our customers a decent product not just because it gives us the satisfaction of a job well done (although that of course is the main motivation), but also because at the end of the day, we want to pay our bills.
What about that other question? About need to generate new world for new stuff?

Just putting this out there . . .

No one is entitled to any updates on Terraria beyond the base game at the time you purchased. There is no contractual obligation to provide updates for the game, and as of Terraria 1.1 (Console's release version), Terraria has been a reasonably complete game. Everything after that is gravy. Free gravy.
Maybe not have it as a selling point then.

Good day, Terrarians!

It’s been a while since we last spoke about the progress surrounding the console versions of Terraria, and with Q1 drawing to a close, now is as good a time as any. As so many of you have rightly made note of over the past few weeks, we had originally targeted an update solely focused on adding the missing 1.2.4.1 items with an estimated timing of Q1. Well, in short, it’s taken a bit longer than we expected. This is primarily because we expanded the scope of what was being worked on. Let us share a bit more about that below.

First of all, we wanted to take some time to address some of the long-standing stability issues across all the versions: tweaks to the network game to promote a more robust experience, annoying bugs squashed, optimizations made, and so on. We know this doesn't always look as exciting in a list as compared to "new content", but we are confident that everyone will feel the benefits of this work. Why now? Well, we had to pick a good time to do this, and it made the most sense to make those fixes now rather than submitting the missing content and then stepping back to work on these fixes. Though it did admittedly delay the missing content, it will get the fixes in your hands a good deal sooner than if we had broken those out separately. We felt that was the overall best approach.

Second of all, of course, is the new and missing content. The Stylist is coming to town, so you can look forward to changing your appearance. Speaking of appearance: visible accessories are included, along with new vanity and dye slots. The experience of buying items is also streamlined. We’re also hard at working cramming in all the missing 1.2.4.1 items. There’s hundreds of things so we won't list them all, but here’s a selection:

Wommanquin; Shroomite Digging Claw; Venom Staff; Julia Butterly Jar; Super Mana Potion; Celestial Emblem; Celestial Cuffs; Mining Potion; Builder Potion; Bee Armour; Hornet Staff; Spider Armour and Staff; Optic Staff; Pressure Track; Slime Hook; Sticky Grenade... the list goes on. We’ve also got a load of furniture and new block types.

(We posted a more full list a while back - you can check this post to learn more)

Of course, with all of that said, you guys want to know when you can get your hands on this stuff! Our development work is scheduled to run to the end of April. Assuming everything looks good at that point, we will submit to Sony/Microsoft, and the update will appear a couple of weeks later after we’ve passed platform holder certification. We fully understand that the delay won't make for happy news for a lot of people, but this stability work needs to be done sometime - and, again, we would rather take that extra time to do it now than to send you content now and then have to wait even longer for those fixes. We certainly hope you can all understand and appreciate the logic behind that decision.

Other quick news items:

3DS Update: will likely hit at a similar time frame as the console timing above. We have not shared what all we are including for this one - but the plan is for this to cover fixes to the most pressing issues as well as bringing the first post-launch new content to the 3DS version of Terraria! We will share more details at a later date.

Wii U Terraria: This has taken longer than anticipated, however, we are on the brink of submission to Nintendo and this is expected to be available digitally at the end of May.

This might also just be a good time to pitch in 1.3 items, if you have to delay it longer for more items & additions, why not just combine the rest of the un-added items while putting in 1.3? sure it's more work & time for people to wait but in the long run you'll have less work in the future more time to fix anything and you won't have to constantly go back & fourth a hundred times adding items in that should have been added the first time around. In addition players from all platforms get a bigger better update all around, instead of "Oh sorry it took so long, but here's the rest of that one update we didn't add last time" in anycase thanks for finally getting us the rest of it.

This might also just be a good time to pitch in 1.3 items, if you have to delay it longer for more items & additions, why not just combine the rest of the un-added items while putting in 1.3? sure it's more work & time for people to wait but in the long run you'll have less work in the future more time to fix anything and you won't have to constantly go back & fourth a hundred times adding items in that should have been added the first time around. In addition players from all platforms get a bigger better update all around, instead of "Oh sorry it took so long, but here's the rest of that one update we didn't add last time" in anycase thanks for finally getting us the rest of it.
like architect gizmo pack :dryadsmile:

So here may be a simple solution for both sides. Terraria should have stopped at the original version, no updates. Everything else be DLC, or sold in a season pass. Then the dates could be more accurate, fans can't argue, developers and publishers get compensated.

Enough of all the drama, from both sides of the arguement

Last edited:
So here may be a simple solution for both sides. Terraria should have stopped at the original version, no updates. Everything else be DLC, or sold in a season pass. Then the dates could be more accurate, fans can't argue, developers and publishers get compensated.

Updates as paid dlc in time? I like that idea :dryadnaughty:

The perfect solution. That way I can keep giving money to my favorite indie devs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom